Tuesday, November 15, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Turd Ferguson »

shubhaghosh wrote: And the Kardashian marriage is no more.
Oh, how I wish I had no idea what that sentence meant. There was probably a bet in the writers room about whether that marriage would stlil be intact at air date. I'm somewhat "proud" that I got this one wrong on the couch, but that pride is more than offset by the fact that my incorrect response was Lamar Odom!
John Boy wrote:
Bamaman wrote:For the first time ever, I went 0/5 in a sports category. I knew Ham, but couldn't pull it out.
I don't know if I even consider this a sports category. "Who married whom?" is (IMHO) more of a celeb category.
The Mike Fisher-Carrie Underwood thing was certainly a sports story in Ottawa. (I doubt you'd be able to find a Senators fan here who wouldn't have known the response). Actually, scratch that, it was a "biggest thing that's ever happened in this city" story...
Last edited by Turd Ferguson on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

opusthepenguin wrote:For me, I just couldn't get away from the sing-songiness of the lines. There was no metrical nuance. This was not a first rate poet (in my judgment), so I ruled out anyone on the order of Coleridge and Shelley. I guessed Longfellow. My second guess would have been Kipling. The correct answer didn't surprise me; but I doubt I'd have hit on it, even with another 10 guesses.
That's right - it was not great poetry - which is why I guessed Poe, forgetting to consider late 19th century poets.

Poe was a genius short story writer, and Wilde excelled as a playwright, as he could write great snarky dialog. Neither was a great poet.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
alamble wrote: I thought that was a particularly difficult choice for Sports Spouses, though Hilary Duff's hubby might have been even more difficult. They could have gone really old school and thrown out Carol Alt.
Old school? It amuses me that Hilary Duff is married to a guy who is probably retired now (I can't imagine a Billionaire - yes, billionaire, Hilary knows how to pick 'em! - riding the buses in the minors to get back into the NHL) while Carol Alt's man is still an active player.
Comrie is, to the best of my knowledge, not officially retired. Not sure who Carol Alt is currently shacking up with (lord knows she goes through NHLers like candy), but last time I checked, Ron Greschner has been retired for two decades. Since the category was specifically about spouses, that's who they would have been going for. Would have been good neg bait tho.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

The main reason I knew the Carrie Underwood one was that when she married him (which was the day after my husband and I married), I remember thinking "Will that make her Carrie Fisher?" It made me laugh.

Said Poe for FJ - I haven't read much Wilde... I'll have to remedy that.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

If the rest of the FJ clue had included "either this wallpaper goes or I do" then I might have gotten it.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

alamble wrote: Comrie is, to the best of my knowledge, not officially retired. Not sure who Carol Alt is currently shacking up with (lord knows she goes through NHLers like candy), but last time I checked, Ron Greschner has been retired for two decades. Since the category was specifically about spouses, that's who they would have been going for. Would have been good neg bait tho.
Alt has been "with" Alexei Yashin since he was an Ottawa Senator in the late-90s. (The two of them getting together was huge news locally at the time - he was this town's biggest "celebrity" at the time - and given her "past", nobody figured it would last) They're apparently all-but-officially married, and there was an article in the local paper recently where she said they plan to retire here(his parents still live here, and he's been replaced as the most-hated ex-Senator). Oh, and I would be really surprised if Comrie plays another game.

Random "on-topic" observation -- it occurred to me that the long (18 month?) wait Buddy had between his first tapings and getting the TOC call must have been brutal... watching himself gradually slip down the TOC "standings" the whole time, probably figuring all along that he'd be either "just in" or "just out". In that position, does one spend all that time studying, knowing that it might all end up being pointless? I am happy that things worked out so well for him!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew Underwood was married to a hockey player and that Judd is married to a race car driver but had no idea who. Mrs. Brady's name rung a bell afterwards but it registered nothing at the time.

I have never heard of Carol Alt and reading her Wikipedia article yielded a list of movies she'd been in I had also never heard of.

Yes, i hate "Who does this celebrity sleep with?" categories.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Turd Ferguson wrote: Random "on-topic" observation -- it occurred to me that the long (18 month?) wait Buddy had between his first tapings and getting the TOC call must have been brutal... watching himself gradually slip down the TOC "standings" the whole time, probably figuring all along that he'd be either "just in" or "just out". In that position, does one spend all that time studying, knowing that it might all end up being pointless? I am happy that things worked out so well for him!
It's happened before that the first qualifier chronologically ended up being the lowest ranked. In 1987, Roger Storm made the ToC with just over $30k in four wins the previous September. He didn't do as well as Buddy, but he did make the semis -- as the fourth wild card. (He went on to win a Super Jeopardy match, and $250k on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.)

edit: Kevin Joyce, my ToC's alternate, was on the other side of that; in our field of 16, his games came the soonest after the 2009 ToC.
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Bamaman wrote:I knew Underwood was married to a hockey player and that Judd is married to a race car driver but had no idea who.
Same here - if we just had to name the spouse's sport I would've been all set.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Bamaman wrote: I have never heard of Carol Alt and reading her Wikipedia article yielded a list of movies she'd been in I had also never heard of.
What??? You somehow missed "Snakehead Terror"? For shame!
QFT
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Bamaman wrote:
I agree with this, especially in a TOC Final. I would not shed a single tear if they retire Celebrity Marriages type categories.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Turd Ferguson wrote:he was this town's biggest "celebrity" at the time
Uhh, maybe it's because I'm a political geek, but isn't the biggest celebrity in Ottawa always the Prime Minister? I'd wager more people would recognize him than a hockey player ...
Bamaman wrote:Yes, i hate "Who does this celebrity sleep with?" categories.
So do I because I'm never the answer. :evil:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Yes, i hate "Who does this celebrity sleep with?" categories.
So do I because I'm never the answer. :evil:
And for that, I'm sure your wife is thankful. Personally, I have a free pass if Natalie Merchant ever becomes available (though my fiancee feels pretty comfortable she has nothing to worry about).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS

Post by seaborgium »

If I may be indulged to ramble a moment:

Had Tom entered FJ with $31,200 (not entirely far-fetched; this would have been his total if he had gotten the $1,600 "News" clue, doubled up on the subsequent DD, and then negged on the $400 clue he got afterward), not only would his and Roger's max potential totals been the same at $81,200, but Tom's cumulative pre-FJ score would have been $50,000, the same as Roger's Day 1 score. So Roger would probably be best off betting it all (at worst a tiebreaker on a correct response, and still a possibility of victory if incorrect), and Tom would be in a dilemma between betting it all (tying Roger at $81,200 in a double get and winning if Roger is wrong) or betting nothing (tying Roger at $50,000 if Roger is wrong). In terms of single-day scenarios, that wagering situation would have been a hybrid between a tie for first place (two players encouraged to bet it all) and an exact two-thirds scenario (one player should choose between betting everything and betting nothing). (I have a feeling, though, that Tom would have bet on himself to get FJ right!)

I'm not sure if Roger's achieving exactly half his Day 1 lead before FJ2 has anything to do with this scenario's potential appearance. I'll have to try it out on paper later.

Congrats to Roger, well done to Tom (sorry I didn't greet you in person), and welcome to the third-place club, Buddy!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Tuesday also featured Hans' QF game in the rerun episode.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Good morning, that's a nice tnetennba

Post by Rex Kramer »

seaborgium wrote:. . . and welcome to the third-place club, Buddy!
Yes, the third-place club -- cool like the A/V Club was cool in high school!

Along the same lines, I propose that we designate all ToC finalists, who necessarily will have played at least 8 games of Jeopardy! by the time the ToC finishes (four games as a regular contestant or in a prior (College or Teachers') tournament and four during the ToC), and anyone else who has played 8 or more games, as the "8+ Club".

Rex
BigDaddyJ

Re: Good morning, that's a nice tnetennba

Post by BigDaddyJ »

seaborgium wrote:edit: Kevin Joyce, my ToC's alternate, was on the other side of that; in our field of 16, his games came the soonest after the 2009 ToC.
Just out of curiosity, who ended up serving as this ToC's alternate?
markrunsvold
Contributor

Post by markrunsvold »

BigDaddyJ wrote:Just out of curiosity, who ended up serving as this ToC's alternate?
Sara Heard. And she was hilarious!
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

markrunsvold wrote:
BigDaddyJ wrote:Just out of curiosity, who ended up serving as this ToC's alternate?
Sara Heard. And she was hilarious!
Well, sure - making you laugh, especially while you are eating, is a good strategy for the alternate.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
shubhaghosh wrote: And the Kardashian marriage is no more.
Oh, how I wish I had no idea what that sentence meant. There was probably a bet in the writers room about whether that marriage would stlil be intact at air date. I'm somewhat "proud" that I got this one wrong on the couch, but that pride is more than offset by the fact that my incorrect response was Lamar Odom!
Someone with my surname cannot escape it, alas.

By the way, let me duck in belatedly on a crazy deadline week to offer congratulations to all three competitors in a memorable Final, and yet more sincere genuflections toward the throne of the House of Craig.

Gnash wrote:Well, sure - making you laugh, especially while you are eating, is a good strategy for the alternate.
Hey, I tried my best when I had the chance.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.