2014-2016 Tournament of Champions Standings (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

2014-2016 Tournament of Champions Standings (SPOILERS)

Post by Lumosityfan »

Hello everyone! I figured that, since the 2014 TOC is taping right now, that I start a brand new series of standings for the next TOC, whenever that may be. I will sort winners by number of wins and within the same number of wins by amount of money won besides consolation. In addition, I will be sure to add the Teacher champ and the College champ when they are announced. Remember to stay tuned to this thread to see how the field shapes up!

College Champ:
Teacher Champ: Jennifer Giles

7 Wins:

1. Greg Seroka - $180,401

6 Wins:
2. Alex Jacob - $149,802
3. Kerry Greene - $146,598

5 Wins:
4. Dan Feitel - $127,998
5. Brennan Bushee - $124,404 (run still going)
6. John Schultz - $104,500
7. Vaughn Winchell - $103,103
8. Andrew Haringer - $96,599
9. Kristin Sausville - $94,201

4 Wins:
10. Elliot Yates - $65,000

3 Wins:
11. Michael Bilow - $96,000
12. Darren Harris-Fain - $63,000
13. Scott Ylinen - $62,705
14. Alexander Persaud - $61,000
15. Ryan Alley - $56,800
16. Choyon Manjrekar - $56,700
17. Shane Curtis - $42,001
18. Dava-Leigh Brush - $31,501
Last edited by Lumosityfan on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: 2015 Tournament of Champions Standings

Post by seaborgium »

Call me a pessimist, but I think Jeopardy will consider these players also-rans for the 2014 ToC. Ramsey Campbell, for example, won four games and close to $50k in pre-doubling money in September 2001, after the 2001 ToC field was set, but wasn't included in the 2003 ToC field, even though post-doubling 4xers with totals as low as $59k were (and the alternate was a post-doubling 4xer with $40k).
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

(Based on first post and not seaborgium's post that beat me) Based on previous history and patterns I would say it's very unlikely there will be a TOC in 2015. Do you know for certain that the end of season 30 concluded TOC qualifying for the November 2014 contest? Is it possible that anyone who beats Mark Japinga's 4 wins and $112,600 in season 31 before November plays in the upcoming TOC and anyone who does not crack that top 15 before then is out?

If you did not round up the relevant inside information then I would say it's possible (not a guarantee) that the names already listed here have already been eliminated from TOC consideration and the slate is blank. Or you could be right that they currently hold qualifying spots and can spend some time moving down the ladder. Time will tell.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

It seems to me like someone who was a contestant late last season reported that they were told a certain date was the cutoff for the next TOC. Or maybe one of the TOC players posted here on the board that they were told the field was set at some point before this season's tapings began. Of course I can't remember the specifics of when or where it was posted, so my fuzzy memories aren't real helpful. Because of the extra-long qualifying period, it seems reasonable that they could have made the end of the season the cutoff and started fresh with September's games, but that is just a guess unless someone has firsthand knowledge.

I see no reason not to leave the players currently listed until we receive confirmation that they have indeed been eliminated. Also, it seems like the ideal thread title would be 2014-16 Tournament of Champions Standings, (POSSIBLE SPOILERS) assuming that the next TOC is likely to be held in February or May of 2016.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Call me optimistic, but I don't think those are the correct standings. Remember, due to the Battle of the Decades tournament, the ToC has been postponed and moved. There's never a 4-time champion listing. The next one for the others is to go on the 5-time list.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It may have been said that the field was locked because they had all the five time champs they could use for this TOC. But when one player opted for the Teen Tournament, that opened a spot for a four time champ. So we don't know if they'd have taken a new five game winner or a four timer that topped Japinga's score. And we really won't know unless one of the above confirms they are out or they are mathematically eliminated.

Of course, had they left the TOC as an annual November event instead of whenever they feel like it, this problem could have been avoided.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:Call me optimistic, but I don't think those are the correct standings. Remember, due to the Battle of the Decades tournament, the ToC has been postponed and moved. There's never a 4-time champion listing. The next one for the others is to go on the 5-time list.
what
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

seaborgium wrote:
MTGcollegestudent wrote:Call me optimistic, but I don't think those are the correct standings. Remember, due to the Battle of the Decades tournament, the ToC has been postponed and moved. There's never a 4-time champion listing. The next one for the others is to go on the 5-time list.
what
I think you forgot whom you were responding to. If MTGwhateverhisnameis ever posted anything that made any sense, I would only assume somebody else had logged into his account.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

bpmod wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
what
I think you forgot whom you were responding to. If MTGwhateverhisnameis ever posted anything that made any sense, I would only assume somebody else had logged into his account.

Brian
Think of it. The Battle of the Decades tournament became the ToC replacement in season 30. They had to postpone the ToC so that it could possibly provide the opportunity to let others try to claim spots to replace the current standings. After Sandie's, Rani's, Sarah's and Julia's runs, they completely wiped out 4-time champions Mike Lewis and Mark Japinga off the tournament.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
bpmod wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
what

Brian
Think of it. The Battle of the Decades tournament became the ToC replacement in season 30. They had to postpone the ToC so that it could possibly provide the opportunity to let others try to claim spots to replace the current standings. After Sandie's, Rani's, Sarah's and Julia's runs, they completely wiped out 4-time champions Mike Lewis and Mark Japinga off the tournament.
To paraphrase Stefan: wha?
NocturnalBeaver516
Contributor

Post by NocturnalBeaver516 »

Hey Jeff, Idk if you were planning on updating this regularly, but you can add:

3 time winners
Alexander Persaud 3 wins, $61,000
Shane Curtis 3 wins, $42,001

Admittedly, it's unlikely either of them makes the ToC but one should include 3-timers in the list (as the previous list did) for consistency's sake
Joseph Taglic
Jeopardy! Teen Tournament 2014 Semifinalist
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

NocturnalBeaver516 wrote:Hey Jeff, Idk if you were planning on updating this regularly, but you can add:

3 time winners

Admittedly, it's unlikely either of them makes the ToC but one should include 3-timers in the list (as the previous list did) for consistency's sake
3x champs have made the cut previously, so not impossible. With no contradictory information shared at this time all of these S31 champs would seem to be currently qualified for the 2016 TOC. On the other hand it is possible that they could have qualified for the 2014 TOC and knocked out Mark Japinga. They did not and so their eligibility has expired making this thread more properly nameless.

We have had S31 champs post here so far this season. Anyone have any definitive word one way or another? Otherwise there is going to be this kind of speculation and uncertainty not going away.

I do like this thread getting a bump on weekends and not exactly at 4:30 Pacific on weekdays before west coasters have seen a game. In the past the sudden bump of this thread to the top has happened sometimes as soon as someone won a third game all but giving away the result before everyone has a chance to watch.
NocturnalBeaver516
Contributor

Post by NocturnalBeaver516 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
NocturnalBeaver516 wrote:Hey Jeff, Idk if you were planning on updating this regularly, but you can add:

3 time winners

3x champs have made the cut previously, so not impossible. With no contradictory information shared at this time all of these S31 champs would seem to be currently qualified for the 2016 TOC. On the other hand it is possible that they could have qualified for the 2014 TOC and knocked out Mark Japinga. They did not and so their eligibility has expired making this thread more properly nameless.

We have had S31 champs post here so far this season. Anyone have any definitive word one way or another? Otherwise there is going to be this kind of speculation and uncertainty not going away.
Oh, I forgot that we never came to any definitive conclusion as to the eligibility of these players for the ToC. I think they should get credit on some list, either the upcoming ToC standings thread or this one. Maybe we prefer to list them here because then we won't be surprised if one of them is invited to the ToC (even Catherine as an alternate, potentially)? I'd rather have a list that's too complete than one that forgets about certain champs. The only real way to determine the eligibility would have been if there were a 5-day champ already this season, which there hasn't been (obviously).
MarkBarrett wrote:I do like this thread getting a bump on weekends and not exactly at 4:30 Pacific on weekdays before west coasters have seen a game. In the past the sudden bump of this thread to the top has happened sometimes as soon as someone won a third game all but giving away the result before everyone has a chance to watch.
To be honest, I haven't been on in a while and was just curious as to whether this thread was active. Seeing that it was incomplete, I just suggested additions.
Joseph Taglic
Jeopardy! Teen Tournament 2014 Semifinalist
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If these people are going to be on the list for the next TOC, maybe have an asterisk by their name to indicate that they were in the first part of S31 so we'll know they may not be eligible.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

I heard from a staffer at the TOC taping that the cut-off was 10/10 – the first game of Shane Curtis. Invites went out after that taping session. All hearsay, of course…
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Vermonter wrote:I heard from a staffer at the TOC taping that the cut-off was 10/10 – the first game of Shane Curtis. Invites went out after that taping session. All hearsay, of course…
I don't understand why they would leave 5+ games between (the airdate translation of) the cutoff and (the airdate translation of) the ToC. I think the audience would think it weird if a big-winning champ completed a run before the ToC but wasn't invited back for it. If they needed extra prep time to receive acceptances, arrange airfares, etc., they could always tape more regular play shows before the ToC but air them after the ToC.

I remember when in 2010 the show put out a press release "announc[ing]" the "lineup" of the 2010 ToC but without actually publishing the list of competitors, as they usually do in such press releases, since the Regina Robbins games hadn't aired yet and they didn't want to spoil her upcoming wins.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I've known Japinga was in for some time, but I was sorta hoping that there'd been no official cutoff during this season. Seems like they could have closed the field once it filled up, then simply brought in the very qualified Japinga once it was clear that Slowik's appearance was no longer desired.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Obviously, I don't know Slowik from the guy who lives 13 miles down the road, but do they have a "morality clause" in the contract. Slowik might be wrongly accused or something to that effect. Do they have to right to drop anyone they want? Outside of the people on this board no one knows who Jerry Slowik is, but if the person in question were Arthur Chu or Julia Collins, they might have a harder time dropping them, because they would have to explain why (the names are a bit more mainstream and Jeopardy has even promoted them a bit). With the concept on innocent until proven guilty and the speed with which the legal system works, a guy like Slowik is going to be innocent for a while, unless he has already pled guilty, which I may have very well missed.

In the end, if Jerry Slowik doesn't plead guilty and is not found guilty, I would think those in charge would have a hard time excluding him from the next ToC.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Vermonter wrote:I heard from a staffer at the TOC taping that the cut-off was 10/10 – the first game of Shane Curtis. Invites went out after that taping session. All hearsay, of course…
I think they would have a hard time excluding Catherine Hardee, saying she was considered for the last tourny, if they include a 4 game winner under $95,000. I would think Molly Lalonde has to be considered for the next tourny.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Sherm wrote:Obviously, I don't know Slowik from the guy who lives 13 miles down the road, but do they have a "morality clause" in the contract. Slowik might be wrongly accused or something to that effect. Do they have to right to drop anyone they want? Outside of the people on this board no one knows who Jerry Slowik is, but if the person in question were Arthur Chu or Julia Collins, they might have a harder time dropping them, because they would have to explain why (the names are a bit more mainstream and Jeopardy has even promoted them a bit). With the concept on innocent until proven guilty and the speed with which the legal system works, a guy like Slowik is going to be innocent for a while, unless he has already pled guilty, which I may have very well missed.

In the end, if Jerry Slowik doesn't plead guilty and is not found guilty, I would think those in charge would have a hard time excluding him from the next ToC.
1) I don't know this for certain, but I;d be a lot of money that they have a clause that allows them to exclude anyone for any reason they wish.

2) "Innocent until proven guilty" doesn't exist outside the legal system. The PTB can find him immediately guilty if they wish.