Thursday, November 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6939, 2014-11-13

2014 Tournament of Champions quarterfinal game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Sarah McNitt, a study-abroad advisor originally from Ann Arbor, Michigan
Terry O'Shea, a junior at Princeton University from Bridgewater, New Jersey
Drew Horwood, a law student originally from Maple Grove, Minnesota

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny, ladies and gentlemen. Three players are waiting in the wings to come back in the semifinals to play for $250,000. The next two days will decide which of the remaining players get to join them. Drew, Terry, and Sarah, good luck. Here we go. First round of play with the one Daily Double today contains these categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
1964 -- 50 YEARS AGO (2/5)
DESSERTS (4/5)
THEIR MAIN MUSICAL INSTRUMENT (2/5)
FLORIDA GEOGRAPHY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MARVEL: 75 YEARS (4/5)
OBSOLETE WORDS (2/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a word that can be made of the letters you find in "obsolete".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Drew: 7 R, 1 W
Terry: 5 R, 1 W
Sarah: 5 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 12
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Drew: $1,200
Terry: $800
Sarah: -$800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sarah McNitt won close to $90,000 as a champion on Jeopardy! Pretty good going, but that maybe wasn't the highlight of your appearances on our program. Something else really good happened. Tell us.

Sarah: I think one of the best things that came out of this experience was hearing from people who told me that they joined the bone marrow registry as a result of--of hearing me talk about it on the show.

Alex: Isn't it nice to appear on national television to espouse a good cause and to then find out that a lot of people took it to heart and registered? And so you did a good thing, and they're doing good things.

Sarah: Yes.

Alex: Way to go.

Alex: All right, Terry O'Shea. On our program a couple of days ago, one of our champions said that he had, with his earnings, bought a new house.

Terry: Mm-hmm.

Alex: You were a little more modest in your purchases with your winnings.

Terry: Yes. I bought Virginia. Uh, my fish.

Alex: The state?!

Terry: [Chuckling] No, my fish.

Alex: A fish?

Terry: A betta fish, yes.

Alex: That's a little thing.

Terry: Yeah, but she's very cute, and she's very, you know, fierce.

[Laughter]

Alex: Are you gonna raise--have her raise other fish, too?

Terry: No. I've heard that if you put other fish in a tank with a betta, then the betta will attack them.

Alex: Eat them?

Terry: Yeah, something like that.

Alex: But then the betta gets bigger.

Terry: Exactly.

Alex: Don't you want a bigger betta?

Terry: I'll stick with the--with the fish pellets for now.

Alex: Fish pellets. Yeah. [Chuckling] All right. I know. I'm mean, folks.

Alex: Drew Horwood is a law student. Now, on the day he lost his match on our program, something good happened in a very short time after.

Drew: Yes. The day after I lost, I went on a cruise with my family and my then-girlfriend, Hannah. And the first day on the cruise, I asked her to marry me.

Alex: Good for you. Congratulations.

Drew: Thank you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sarah found the Daily Double on the 28th clue. Drew had $2,200, Terry had $2,000, and Sarah was at $1,000. Sarah made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

FLORIDA GEOGRAPHY $1000: Its name may be a corruption of the Spanish for "little St. John", & it flows from the Okefenokee Swamp to the Gulf
(Sarah: What is Pensacola?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OBSOLETE WORDS $200: '50s furry fashion

OBSOLETE WORDS $600: The office or jurisdiction of a bishop
(Sarah: What is seat?)
(Alex: Yes--no.)
(Alex: Correct response--"What is [*]?" S-E-E, not seat.)

OBSOLETE WORDS $800: Chewy evergreen energy booster of Asia

MARVEL: 75 YEARS $800: In 1964 Marvel began honoring readers who noticed mistakes with this much sought-after prize

DESSERTS $600: Dickens told of this sweet pudding, also a rhyming bug
(Terry: Uh... What is humbug?)
(Drew: What is figgy pudding?)

1964 -- 50 YEARS AGO $400: He became the first pope to fly when he visited Jordan & Israel on a "pilgrimage of prayer & penance"
(Sarah: Who is John XXIII?)

1964 -- 50 YEARS AGO $1000: Nine years before Skylab, this habitat to test human adaptation began operation under the waters off Bermuda

1964 -- 50 YEARS AGO $800: Thomas Berger died in 2014, the 50th anniversary of this novel of his about a 111-year-old survivor of Custer's army
(Alex: Made into a film starring Dustin Hoffman--[*].)

FLORIDA GEOGRAPHY $800: This university in Deland was named for a hat manufacturer who provided financial assistance
(Alex: You're gonna love it. What is [*]?)

THEIR MAIN MUSICAL INSTRUMENT $600: Lawrence Welk
(Sarah: What is the clarinet?)
(Alex: [Imitating Lawrence Welk] What is the wunnerful, wunnerful cordeen.)

THEIR MAIN MUSICAL INSTRUMENT $800: James Galway

THEIR MAIN MUSICAL INSTRUMENT $1000: Jim Brickman

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Drew: $2,600
Terry: $2,000
Sarah: $200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WOMEN'S LIT (3/5)
MOVIE CENTURY SETTINGS (5/5)
COME SAIL AWAY (1/5)
SCIENTIFICALLY RELATED (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WHERE THERE'S A WILL... (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THERE'S A "WAY" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sarah: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Terry: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Drew: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 6 W (including 2 DDs)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Drew snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Drew had $3,800, Terry had $6,400, and Sarah was at $6,200. Drew wagered $3,000.

WHERE THERE'S A WILL... $1600: This heiress' 1993 will disposed of property in NYC, Newport, Beverly Hills & Honolulu & sent $10 million to Durham, N.C.
(Drew: Who is... Peggy Guggenheim?)
(Alex: No. What's a famous university in Durham? [*]. Doris [*] was the lady in question.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Drew who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Drew had $400, Terry had $7,600, and Sarah was at $7,000. Drew wagered $2,000.

SCIENTIFICALLY RELATED $2000: The cypress family includes this conifer names for a Cherokee
(Drew: What is a Seminole?)
(Alex: No. Big tree here in California--the [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WOMEN'S LIT $1200: The story of a young divorcee pursuing a Ph.D., the feminist classic "The Women's Room" is by her

WOMEN'S LIT $800: "The women of" this location in the 1982 novel by Gloria Naylor include Etta Mae & Kiswana
(Drew: Who are Eastwick?)
(Alex: No, not The Witches of Eastwick, but [*].

WHERE THERE'S A WILL... $2000: His 1909 will named his daughter Clara & biographer Albert Bigelow Paine to help manage his literary estate

COME SAIL AWAY $1200: Back in the day, if the sun was over this, lads, it meant it was time for a drink
(Drew: What is the topsail?)
(Alex: What is the [*]? Aye, mate.)

COME SAIL AWAY $1600: A triangular headsail; the sailor in "All Is Lost" deploys a storm one

COME SAIL AWAY $800: A partition wall that divides a ship's interior into compartments

COME SAIL AWAY $2000: They're not rodents' quips; they're rope steps used to climb into the rigging

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Terry: $8,800
Sarah: $8,600
Drew: -$800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TUNNELS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Terry: It's a big wager, but you might regret it if you don't cover Sarah by wagering $8,401.
Sarah: Risk between $401 (venusian) and $8,200 (martian).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 islands that begin with the same letter, are linked by the 33.5-mile Seikan rail tunnel, the world's longest in operation

FINAL SCORES
Sarah: $8,600 - $8,100 = $500 (What are Kyushu and Kyoto?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Terry: $8,800 + $8,400 = $17,200 (What are Hokkaido and Honshu?) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $18,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sarah: $9,600, 12 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Terry: $8,800, 11 R, 1 W
Drew: $4,200, 15 R, 7 W (including 2 DDs)
Combined Coryat: $22,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Drew: 15/60 = .250
Terry: 12/58 = .207
Sarah: 12/59 = .203
Team: 39/63 = .619

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MARVEL: 75 YEARS $200: In 1939, the first Marvel comics cover showed this hero, also a named used by the Fantastic Four's Johnny Storm

MARVEL: 75 YEARS $600: The Superhuman Registration Act led to one of these in the Marvel universe, like the one in Spain from 1936 to 1939
(Terry: What is a war?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Terry: What is a [*]?)

MARVEL: 75 YEARS $1000: This six-foot hero bears out his name by shrinking to half an inch in size; oh, he also telepathically talks to bugs

1964 -- 50 YEARS AGO $200: In 2001, the National Archives put this act in its Records of Rights exhibit, in time for the act's 50th birthday on July 2nd

DESSERTS $1000: This dessert of stacked cream puffs has the French for "mouth" in its name

FLORIDA GEOGRAPHY $400: The metro area that includes these two twin cities on Florida's West Coast is home to almost 3 million people

MOVIE CENTURY SETTINGS $1600: "The Agony and the Ecstasy"
(Drew: What is the 15th century?)

MOVIE CENTURY SETTINGS $2000: "Gladiator"
starring Russell Crowe
(Drew: What is the 3rd century?)

THERE'S A "WAY" $2000: Stone pillars projecting from the coast of Northern Ireland are known as the Giant's this

COME SAIL AWAY $400: It sounds like a farming term, but it's also an arm attached to a rudder head to help steer
(Sarah: What is a plow?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Suwannee River
stole
see
betel
No-Prize
roly-poly
Pope Paul VI
SEALAB
Little Big Man
Stetson University
accordion
flute
piano
(Doris) Duke
sequoia
Marilyn French
The Women of Brewster Place
Mark Twain
yardarm
jib
bulkhead
ratlines
Honshu and Hokkaido
The Human Torch
civil war
Ant-Man
Civil Rights Act
croquembouche
Tampa and St. Petersburg
the 16th century
the 2nd century
causeway
tiller
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Tunnels
These 2 islands that begin with the same letter are linked by the 33.5 mile Seikan Rail Tunnel, the world's largest in operation.

Spoiler
What are Honshu and Hokkaido? Sarah said Kyushu and Kyoto.

Terry O'Shea: $8,800+$8,400=$17,200...Automatic Semi-Finalist
Sarah McNitt: $8,600-$8,100=$500
Drew Horwood: (-$800)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Any bets on whether Sarah wagers $4,000? :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

That was a painful game to watch. I wish Sarah had gotten FJ right so we'd have had a tiebreaker question.

No chance for me on that one. I knew it had to be Asian but nothing came to mind. I wrote down Trinidad and Tobago just to have something.
MiloTheMayor
Contributor

Post by MiloTheMayor »

Bamaman wrote:That was a painful game to watch. I wish Sarah had gotten FJ right so we'd have had a tiebreaker question.
What were the final scores for this quarterfinal?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That was just plain an underwhelming game, and I blame the writers. There was too much esoteric material asked, especially in the J! round. What happened to the notion that Jeopardy! clues are supposed to be about things people ought to know? The standing and staring was not because the players weren't bright enough but because the questions were too obscure and didn't have enough hints.

Drew flamed out marvelously. FJ was an instaget for me, and I also got all three DDs.

This means Jackhammer Julia Collins will get a wild card! Hooray!
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MiloTheMayor
Contributor

Post by MiloTheMayor »

lieph82 wrote:Any bets on whether Sarah wagers $4,000? :)
Wagering the wager. That's all kinds of awesome meta.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

MiloTheMayor wrote:
Bamaman wrote:That was a painful game to watch. I wish Sarah had gotten FJ right so we'd have had a tiebreaker question.
$0 (not in Final) and $500. I forget the winner's score, but she won.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

floridagator wrote:That was just plain an underwhelming game, and I blame the writers. There was too much esoteric material asked, especially in the J! round. What happened to the notion that Jeopardy! clues are supposed to be about things people ought to know? The standing and staring was not because the players weren't bright enough but because the questions were too obscure and didn't have enough hints.
I'm glad it wasn't just me. Geez, we hated sailing. I'm not sure any of the other contestants knew anything about sailing either.
MiloTheMayor
Contributor

Post by MiloTheMayor »

gamawire wrote:
MiloTheMayor wrote:
$0 (not in Final) and $500. I forget the winner's score, but she won.
That means that both Rebecca Rider and Julia Collins advanced to the semis, regardless of Friday's outcome. Which would make for a long 20-30 mins for Jim.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

floridagator wrote:That was just plain an underwhelming game, and I blame the writers. There was too much esoteric material asked, especially in the J! round. What happened to the notion that Jeopardy! clues are supposed to be about things people ought to know? The standing and staring was not because the players weren't bright enough but because the questions were too obscure and didn't have enough hints.

Drew flamed out marvelously. FJ was an instaget for me, and I also got all three DDs.

This means Jackhammer Julia Collins will get a wild card! Hooray!
I rarely agree with you, but that first paragraph pretty much sums things up quite well in my opinion. (And another piece of evidence that they should show all 61 clues every time if they managed to get through that many Stand-and-Stares.)

Was rooting for Drew (being the Minnesota boy - or I guess *former* Minnesota boy as there was an "originally from" in Johnny's intro :( Can recall seeing an interview with him on the morning newscast during his original run on the station I watch J! on). Outcome was kind of sad to see. And then the College Champ takes it? Wouldn't have called that one.

Tunnel sounded Japanese to me. Honshu and Hokkaido are close together. Done. Surprised anyone else would think outside Japan.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ugly TS-fest.

Lach Trash: stole, Jim Brickman = piano, sequoia.

More fancy "how do you know that?!" foods in that Dessert category. I should've gotten ice cream sandwich, but I don't think of the ends of it as "wafers".

Should've gone 4/5 in Marvel (everything but that award), but I could only get $200 and $1,000 in time. And still no Guardians of the Galaxy clue.

Surprised myself by running Scientifically Related.

That Sailing category should not have existed. Don't blame them for not even ringing in on 4/5.

So that's what a highwayman is.

I got as far as Japan, but had a mental block and couldn't think of any of the island names in 30 seconds.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Good for Sarah for DD hunting in the last category of the first round. And then making it a true DD. And then going to the middle of the board starting DJ!

Drew knew where he was when selecting the last $2k clue, he obviously should have rang in and guessed anything. Surprised he had a meltdown, but knowledge can disappear in the heat of the moment.

The ladies were in a quandary in FJ, and apparently both decided $8k wasn't enough for a wildcard. I will admit I will mentally prepared for Sarah to wager $4k!

But I do want to acknowledge that Sarah took some time to learn some good strategic play and applied it well during the game. And that's what I like to see from any contestant. Good job!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Comments after seeing the Wildcard thread, containing spoilers for previous games this week:
Spoiler
And Terry's score is the second highest of the winners this week so far???? This *really* says something about the Tournament this week!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Except for a near instaget FJ, this board played harder for me than most BotD games.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Those were awfully tough questions for Kids Week. What? Oh...
Will33
Contributor

Post by Will33 »

I'm glad Julia makes it. Cannot wait to see Sandy tomorrow against Jared and Jerry(?the ginger guy). I'd love for Ranni to get the wc but one of those will have to completely bomb.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

By my at-home scoring, this was the hardest board thus far this week by far. The contestants' scores reflect that too. Luckily, I was able to go from "those two islands in Japan" to Honshu and Hokkaido in time!
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan »

Will33 wrote:I'm glad Julia makes it. Cannot wait to see Sandy tomorrow against Jared and Jerry(?the ginger guy). I'd love for Ranni to get the wc but one of those will have to completely bomb.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Jerry actually isn't competing in this ToC (he was arrested on child molestation charges). Instead, 4-time champion Mark Japinga will compete in his place.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion