Tuesday, November 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

RKane wrote:
floridagator wrote:I was not around during Arthur's regular-season play on J! earlier this year, so my experience at watching him play is limited to last week and today's game. I must say that he is not fun to watch. His hit rate is pretty high, to be sure, but there is just something off-putting about him, like he doesn't seem to realize that other people even exist. I am not happy about how he talks over AT to make his category selections; there was another champ recently who also did that.
Don't worry; you are from the minority on that one. I personally think he's a boss.
Minority here anyways, I'd say the general populace is at least 50/50, if not more towards Chu-hate (if Facebook and Twitter have anything to do with it.) But here, where the true fans are, is the only place that matters. :D
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
whatisbishkek
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by whatisbishkek »

dhkendall wrote:
Ryno wrote:Hmmm, given the news over the past few days, I'm not so sure if Mark would want to be mentioned in the same sentence as Bill Cosby. :oops: (yeah, I know it was taped weeks ago).
The original allegations were a decade ago though.
I've found it pretty interesting how this is all of the sudden getting so much attention because I've been aware of Cosby being a rapist (allegedly, but let's face it, it's almost certainly true) for a while now.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

legendneverdies wrote:Arthur $17800, Rebecca $12800, Mark $8000 at the end of DJ!. Rebecca could have won on a TS with a bet between $0-$2800, but she bet $7000. Didn't matter anyway.
I wasn't even considering Mark in my wagering. I had no faith in the category; I wagered strictly thinking of Arthur wagering enough to cover my double and getting it wrong (yeah, I know, LOL), and that I would be able to pull it out from somewhere. (I think I may also have f'd up my math a smidge.)

But seriously? French Literature? No real idea, no way of getting it, would never have come up with the right answer.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
ACW

Post by ACW »

Has anyone read Proust? Is he as pretentious as he seems?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

floridagator wrote:I was not around during Arthur's regular-season play on J! earlier this year, so my experience at watching him play is limited to last week and today's game. I must say that he is not fun to watch. His hit rate is pretty high, to be sure, but there is just something off-putting about him, like he doesn't seem to realize that other people even exist.
Pot, kettle.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

grindcore wrote:Poor Rebecca, that could have been one of the great Jeopardy! comebacks.
She did good to pull within 2/3 of Arthur's total at the end of DJ.
I was very disappointed with her Final wager though. At least it turned out not to matter, but still......
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

My embarrassing miss of the night was saying that the Larry Kramer play-cum-telefilm was "The Untamed Heart." Happens to the best of us.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

legendneverdies wrote:Arthur $17800, Rebecca $12800, Mark $8000 at the end of DJ!. Rebecca could have won on a TS with a bet between $0-$2800, but she bet $7000. Didn't matter anyway.
In order to cover Mark, Rebecca needed to bet at least $3,201, which drops her to $9,599 or below on a miss. Arthur's score on a shutout bet and a miss is $9,999, so Rebecca was in the unfortunate position (Stratton's Dilemma), of having to choose between covering Mark if he doubled up or leave enough to beat Arthur if they both missed. Based on her post above, if she wasn't considering Mark's score, and had zero confidence in the category, a $0 wager would probably be the best way to go. However, since Arthur had the sole get, it didn't wind up costing her anything.

Great game, Rebecca, and congrats for making it this far!
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

StevenH wrote: I got the "Matterhorn" triple stumper solely from its height. Sometimes it can help to write your own clues.
I am approaching the point where over 2 questions per episode are roughly identical to something I've written before.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

whatisbishkek wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Ryno wrote:Hmmm, given the news over the past few days, I'm not so sure if Mark would want to be mentioned in the same sentence as Bill Cosby. :oops: (yeah, I know it was taped weeks ago).
I've found it pretty interesting how this is all of the sudden getting so much attention because I've been aware of Cosby being a rapist (allegedly, but let's face it, it's almost certainly true) for a while now.
There's even more. A notable name has now come forward:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... g-her.html
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

dhkendall wrote:
Folks are just misunderstanding Bill's offer to show them his pudding pop.
AdamAnt
Valued Contributor

Post by AdamAnt »

Very intense game. Everyone seemed to have their game face on in full force.

It was also very interesting (for me at least), on one end there was Arthur who comes off as very serious and rather deadpan and on the other end we have Rebecca who comes off as rather chipper and jovial.

I am probably the last person in the world to get a correct answer in a literature category. I guessed something along the lines of Julia Childs. Perhaps I was just hungry? (I actually had no clue but that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Austin Powers wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Folks are just misunderstanding Bill's offer to show them his pudding pop.
"They haven't stopped making frozen pudding pops, have they?" -- Garfield (plus an overused running gag on Square Root of Minus Garfield)
hscer

Post by hscer »

I'd have thought Arthur would go conservative on the bouncing for the TOC, but instead he seems to have gone conservative on the wagering, bouncing as wildly as ever. Maybe he was just feeling it on the buzzer tonight, and if so, it was with some justification. But then Rebecca gets the last DD in what seemed to be Arthur's best DJ category, and Mark becomes the buzzer fiend, and suddenly FJ is a huge fight. But Arthur pulled through. I had literally no chance at that final, having never heard of the work in question.

So we get "the" anticipated match-up, or at least the ones TPTB surely wanted. But obviously, whoever wins Wednesday will also have a fine shot at taking the tournament.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

mxc_takeshi wrote:I noticed in the advertising for the TOC before Final Jeopardy, they showed Julia and Arthur side by side at lecterns. Seeing that Arthur and Julia are both finalists, I would assume that was a spoiler?
The promos that Jeopardy! has released throughout the tournament have been full of both spoilers and anti-spoilers (mostly shots from practice games that show lineups/podium placements that never happened). I wouldn't read too much into anything you see in a promo.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

As with yesterday, the leader going into FJ gets the sole solve giving us another well-deserving finalist.

Appreciated the TDD, it was the only move in that situation.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I actually took Volante's suggestion to mind from yesterday's thread:
I would not be opposed to letting you use the bumpers (pause button) for FJ if you do want to try. Attacking an FJ clue in 30 seconds is not easy; it's at least as much deciphering the clue as it is simply knowing the response, so hit pause and take your time. When you get an answer, unpause and find out. The more you practice, the faster you'll get and pause for less and less time.
But even extending the time greatly, not a single piece of French literature was coming to mind even in three minutes, much less 30 seconds. I just had nothing to go to even as a "put SOMEthing down" response. At least I recognize the correct response.
Yeah, no length of time can help with gaps in knowledge, but it's still good to try getting in the ballpark. I knew this wasn't a clue I was going to get on knowledge, so I had to pick a French novel that I knew I couldn't rule out...
dhkendall wrote:Said "The Scarlet Pumpernickel" forgetting that J! doesn't have BWAs.
Oh yeah? Justine. *mic drop*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Mad props to Rebecca for a great game.

I've really been enjoying the boards this whole tournament. There's been a good mix of medium-to-difficult material with some clues requiring deep knowledge. I've still had some Lach trash every day. I'm 0 for 2 in FJ this week, but felt as if I had a chance of getting/guessing them.

Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Yet another night that the TV promos promise contestant interviews on the web site, and yet another night with no post-game contestant interviews. Alex even promised one full of great big Julia tears during the in-game interviews.

I thought the Final was pretty chestnutty and was only surprised Arthur didn't show off by writing both titles and drawing a picture of a madeleine.
Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin »

I think tonight was the first time I muttered something under my breath about all the bouncing going on in an Arthur game - for whatever reason, I had trouble keeping up tonight when keeping score and that didn't even happen in the regular season games. Mark and Rebecca did a great job reining it in at the end of DJ, though.

Wasn't confident when French Lit came up for FJ, but something clicked when "recalled" showed up in the clue that made RoTP a near-instant get. I don't know if that's the teaser the writers were going for, but it worked for me!

Congrats to Arthur, and here's hoping for an amazing final.