Tuesday, December 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6277, 2011-12-27

Jason Keller game 8.

CONTESTANTS
Andrew Robinson, a graduate student of international science and technology policy from Washington, D.C.
Bill Moreau, an elementary school teacher from Woodbridge, Ontario
Jason Keller, a tutor from Highland Park, New Jersey (whose 7-day cash winnings total $183,900)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Welcome, everyone. There's an old Jerry Reed song that applies to Jason Keller, our champion--"when you're hot, you're hot." And Jason has been hot. You've heard how much money he's won. Can he keep it going until the new year? Bill and Andrew have something to say about that today. So good luck to all three of you. Here we go--Jeopardy! Round. Let's get it started, shall we, with these categories now in play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS (5/5)
TALKING ITALIAN (4/5)
DECADES OF DISASTER (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FOOD PREPARATION (5/5)
LESSER-KNOWN AMERICANS (4/5)
TIPS ON NETWORKING (5/5) (Alex: And you have to identify the television channel for us.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 12 R, 1 W
Bill: 11 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Andrew: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Bill: $4,000
Jason: $1,400
Andrew: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Andrew Robinson is from our nation's capital, and, Andrew, you and I have met before, and there was a strange element to our encounter. Can you tell the folks about it?

Andrew: Right. Well, it was, uh, 2 years ago in 2009. You were the grand marshal at the Cherry Blossom Festival parade. I don't know if you remember.

Alex: I do. Yes, indeed.

Andrew: All right. Uh, and we met the day before the parade. I was also in the parade. I was helping volunteer for some of the events. And I got to meet you the day before. I was wearing a cherry-blossom-patterned tie. And you complimented me on it. And the next day, you were wearing the same tie, so...

[Laughter]

Alex: I--they gave me--

Andrew: If you're looking for a fashion consultant--

Alex: They gave me one of those ties, too.

Andrew: Oh.

Alex: Bill Moreau from Woodbridge, Ontario. Yesterday, in this same position, we had a young lady named Andrea, who told us that she had bicycled halfway across Canada. You did something similar.

Bill: I did. She did it the smart way. I did it the wrong way. We biked west, so we were--

Alex: Why is that the wrong way?

Bill: --always encountering a headwind.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Bill: And right at the end, after those flat prairies, we hit the Rocky Mountains.

Alex: How far did you bicycle? Where did you start from?

Bill: We started in Toronto, and we--we bicycled to Vancouver.

Alex: That's two-thirds of the country. How long did it take you?

Bill: 49 days.

Alex: Got in shape, though, by the time it was over, didn't you?

Bill: I was lithe and fit.

Alex: [Laughs] Okay.

Alex: Jason Keller is our champion. Now I've heard that you once helped with the surgery on an NBA player?

Jason: In a sense. Uh, a few years ago--

Alex: In a sense.

Jason: --I tore my ACL, and so I had it repaired, and the next patient on the operating table was NBA, uh, power forward Derrick Coleman. So I was his warm-up surgery, so to speak.

Alex: Oh, okay. That's how you helped.

Jason: Yes.

Alex: All right. Good. "How did yours, uh, work out, Derrick? Fine? Good. They did the same for me."

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bill found the Daily Double on the 21st clue. Jason had $2,400, Bill had $4,800, and Andrew was at $1,800. Bill wagered $2,000.

DECADES OF DISASTER $1000: The USS Maine goes down, killing 260
(Bill: What are the 1920s?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TALKING ITALIAN $1000: A certain piece of hardware is una vite, so this hand tool used with it is un cacciavite
(Jason: What's a hammer?)

LESSER-KNOWN AMERICANS $800: In 2003 this state replaced its statue of George Washington Glick in Statuary Hall with one of Dwight Eisenhower

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jason: $6,400
Bill: $3,400
Andrew: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COSMOPOLITAN (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ELLE (2/2)
A LURE (4/5)
"W" (5/5)
RED BOOK (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WAITING FOR THE HAIRDRESSER (2/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 10 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Andrew: 8 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Bill: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Jason had $10,800, Bill had $5,400, and Andrew was at $5,200. Andrew made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,200.

COSMOPOLITAN $2000: This city in the Crimea is a health resort with many sanatoriums, including one suggested by Chekhov in 1899
(Andrew: What is Odessa?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jason who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. Jason had $15,600, Bill had $6,600, and Andrew had a deficit with -$1,600. Jason wagered $3,000.

RED BOOK $800: In "The Veteran", a sequel to this 1895 novel, Henry Fleming tells us Chancellorsville was where he was wounded

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WAITING FOR THE HAIRDRESSER $800: I'll get my hair straightened with the Brazilian this; it's also what happened to my favorite football team, 35-0
(Bill: What is wax?)
[Gentle laughter all around]
(Alex: What is [*]? It's a shame we don't have any women on the program today to deal with this subject which seems foreign to the fellows.)

A LURE $2000: Mepps makes its special "killer" lure to catch this large member of the pike family, not Hubert Humphrey's running mate
(Jason: What's an Estes pike?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jason: $18,200 (lock game)
Bill: $6,200
Andrew: $3,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURATIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Jason: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $5,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Bill: Wager $201 to cover Andrew.
Andrew: You have the hope of surpassing Bill for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $2,800 and $3,198.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
His second inauguration marked the first time that women officially participated in the inaugural parade

FINAL SCORES
Andrew: $3,200 - $3,198 = $2 (Who is Calvin Coolidge?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Bill: $6,200 - $6,199 = $1 (Who is F.D.R.?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jason: $18,200 + $0 = $18,200 (Who was Wilson?) (8-day champion: $202,100)
(Alex: [After Bill's wager reveal] Ooh, it's a contest! I wonder if Jason'll wind up with $3.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jason: $16,000, 22 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Andrew: $8,400, 12 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Bill: $8,200, 15 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $32,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Jason: 23/59 = .390
Bill: 15/59 = .254
Andrew: 12/59 = .203
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TALKING ITALIAN $200: "Grazie" & "prego" translate to these 2 2-word companion phrases
(Alex: Si, bueno, bueno.)

FOOD PREPARATION $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew holds a payapa in a forest in Molokai, HI.) An enzyme called papain in the leaves & green skin of raw papaya can be used as one of these food preparations as it breaks down the connective tissue of meats
(Bill: What is a marinade?)
[Originally ruled incorrect, reversed before Double Jeopardy! Round because "we received some input from gourmets and gourmands on our staff who inform us that papain can be used as part of a marinade to tenderize meat".]

"W" $2000: High-quality wood is used in this type of paneling whose name is from the German for "wagon"

A LURE $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew wraps a lure.) When you wrap a fish hook with feathers & thread, it's called tying one of these lightweight lures that mimic insects
(Andrew: What is a jig?)

RED BOOK $1200: This Stendhal novel title was inspired by the colors worn by the Catholic clergy & the French military
(Andrew: What is The Scarlet Pimpernel?)

RED BOOK $400: The title of this Dr. Seuss work is illustrated on its cover

WAITING FOR THE HAIRDRESSER $1200: I hope things are okay here; I think I see this woman in the back filming for the Bravo show about her salon takeover

A LURE $800: The Million-Dollar Lure is made of 3 pounds of gold & platinum & 100 carats of diamonds & these red gems
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

RED BOOK $2000: Made into a 1998 film, this James Jones novel fictionalizes the "narrow"ly won battle for Guadalcanal
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the 1890s
a screwdriver
Kansas
Yalta
The Red Badge of Courage
a blowout
a muskie
Woodrow Wilson
thank you & you're welcome
a tenderizer
wainscoting
flies
The Red and the Black
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish
Tabatha
rubies
The Thin Red Line
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

Final Jeopardy category was "Presidential Inaugurations.

His second inauguration marked the first time women officially participated in the inaugural parade.
Spoiler
Who is Woodrow Wilson?
Spoiler
Andrew (Coolidge) $3,200-$3,198=$2
Bill (FDR) $$6,200-$6,199=$1
Jason (Wilson) $18,200+$0=$18,200 Now eight day champ with $202,100
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

Bamaman, thanks for posting FJ! I've had a few FJs in the past few weeks burned because I've skimmed the game threads looking for the spoiler tags and have accidentally read the answer (or somebody's thought process that got them there, which is just as bad), before I find the question.

Doesn't change that I swung and missed on this one, but at least it wasn't about Glee.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Had I known when women's suffrage was, I might have made a more educated guess - thought it was about 15 years earlier than it was, but couldn't recall who the president was at the time. Hoping that women might have had a part in the parade for a little while before suffrage was granted, I WAGged "Cleveland" based solely on the "second inauguration" part (a WAG rarely needs justification, but that was mine.)

A valiant effort, vellore!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

Spent 20 seconds convincing myself that this would've coincided with women's suffrage (and not any later movements), then couldn't remember when exactly the 19th amendment was passed :oops: Then I took an educated guess, and lucked out. I'll take it.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

xxaaaxx wrote:Spent 20 seconds convincing myself that this would've coincided with women's suffrage (and not any later movements), then couldn't remember when exactly the 19th amendment was passed :oops: Then I took an educated guess, and lucked out. I'll take it.
It was in 1920, when Wilson was still president but Harding won the first election in which ladies could vote nationwide. The inauguration in question was in 1916.
messyjesse
Contributor

Post by messyjesse »

I think if I were to watch almost all of Jason's games individually I would convince myself that he wasn't that strong a player (aided by the fact that he's had several above-average-to-very-good opponents), but with eight wins and counting it's clear that he's a lot better than any single game would suggest. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't waiting for someone to take him down through his first few games, but he's slowly growing on me. In this game he had a guy that was hot on the buzzer (vellore) and a guy that played to win with his DD wager (Andrew)--we'll need a contestant that can do both before they can hope to end Jason's run.

My AP US History teacher thought of a bunch of creative ways to help us remember some details of the Amendments (1-2 on the ticket for the 12th Amendment, 2x6 = 1x8 for the Amendment that enacted the voting age, etc.). The 19th is pretty easy to remember since it was passed in 1919 (and "19th Amendment" should be Pavlovian with women's suffrage for any J! fan worth their weight). Picking the President was a bit trickier and probably required some luck, but Wilson makes a bit more sense than Coolidge (which wasn't a bad guess, I don't think).
"No man is an island, so they say, although the small crustaceans and the bird which sat impassively on Dirk Manhope's chest as he floated lazily in the pool would probably disagree."
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

xxaaaxx wrote:Spent 20 seconds convincing myself that this would've coincided with women's suffrage (and not any later movements), then couldn't remember when exactly the 19th amendment was passed :oops: Then I took an educated guess, and lucked out. I'll take it.
Spoiler
Ditto here... I went with Wilson even though I came up with 1920 as the women's suffrage year, and knew Wilson's second term began in 1917. My rationale was WWI when many of our men would have been overseas. I since looked up and saw US entry was in April of that year so we were not at war after all.
I like the Jets avatar. I know it's a grave, but looks like a parking meter to me. Time expired!
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

messyjesse wrote: The 19th is pretty easy to remember since it was passed in 1919 (and "19th Amendment" should be Pavlovian with women's suffrage for any J! fan worth their weight). Picking the President was a bit trickier and probably required some luck, but Wilson makes a bit more sense than Coolidge (which wasn't a bad guess, I don't think).

Except that Coolidge's first inaugural was done at his vacation home by a notary public, his dad. Not much of an inaugural celebration, as Harding died while in office.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

messyjesse wrote:My AP US History teacher thought of a bunch of creative ways to help us remember some details... 2x6 = 1x8 for the Amendment that enacted the voting age, etc.
Yep definitely your history teacher, not your Math teacher ;)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

legendneverdies wrote:
It was in 1920, when Wilson was still president but Harding won the first election in which ladies could vote nationwide. The inauguration in question was in 1916.
Exactly. The first state didn't even ratify it until June 1919. What a stupid FJ clue.
messyjesse
Contributor

Post by messyjesse »

legendneverdies wrote:Except that Coolidge's first inaugural was done at his vacation home by a notary public, his dad. Not much of an inaugural celebration, as Harding died while in office.
Well sure, but the clue was asking about a President's second inaugural. (To be honest, with the exception of Wilson, Grover, and Teddy I couldn't tell you with a great deal of confidence which Presidents between 1870 and 1932 actually had two inaugurals, resulting from democratic processes or otherwise.)
Paucle wrote:Yep definitely your history teacher, not your Math teacher ;)
Hey, it worked. :)
"No man is an island, so they say, although the small crustaceans and the bird which sat impassively on Dirk Manhope's chest as he floated lazily in the pool would probably disagree."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:
messyjesse wrote:My AP US History teacher thought of a bunch of creative ways to help us remember some details... 2x6 = 1x8 for the Amendment that enacted the voting age, etc.
Yep definitely your history teacher, not your Math teacher ;)
It was likely 2+6 = 1x8
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

econgator wrote:It was likely 2+6 = 1x8
of course, but then there's no smart-ass joke opportunity!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Sorry, Bill. The train kept a rollin'. At least you saw it coming yesterday ...
messyjesse
Contributor

Post by messyjesse »

Oh wait, I get it now. Silly me.
Samer
Valued Contributor

Post by Samer »

I mentioned part of this before, but an interesting fact. . . .

A team I played on at TRASHionals consisted of me, Jason Keller, Andrew Hutchings, and Kenny Peskin.

All of us have won money in trivia competitions. I'm now quite jealous of the fact that I'm the only one that hasn't actually won a game on TV. :oops:
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

dhkendall wrote:Had I known when women's suffrage was, I might have made a more educated guess - thought it was about 15 years earlier than it was
Ditto. I had put it somewhere around the turn of the century, so I said McKinley since his second inauguration would have been in 1901.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew Harding was the first president women voted for, so I went with FDR since he was the next one who had more than one inaugural. Plus, he had a female cabinent member, so she likely would have been part of the parade. I did briefly consider Wilson.