Tuesday, February 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MtlMike
Valued Contributor

Re: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MtlMike »

I am shocked, just shocked, that the contestants didn't recognize Montreal.
I've lived in Montreal for all my 50+ years and I didn't recognize it on initial viewing; once I had another look, I recognized the location, but it's not like they showed an iconic Montreal building (like the Olympic Stadium for example) ...
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

mrparadise wrote:Should have got FJ! but didn't. Showing my age, went with "Bye Bye Birdie", a 1960 Tony winner (I think) about a fictionalized Elvis.
That was my second guess after dismissing "Rock of Ages", but I knew it wasn't right either. At the last second I inexplicably hit upon "Jersey Boys" but in all honesty probably would not have had time to write it down.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

skullturf wrote:I'm Canadian and I didn't get Montreal.

One thing that occurs to me only after the fact: There probably aren't that many cities that Jeopardy! would clue, in part, by saying that the city is the second largest in its country.

Actually, based only on the "second largest" piece of information, St. Petersburg is maybe not a bad guess. I can only think of a few other world cities where it seems likely to me that Jeopardy! would expect you to know that they're the second largest in their countries. Besides St. Petersburg and Montreal, maybe Barcelona and Melbourne. I don't think there are a huge number of other very well-known ones.
Same here, all of that. I don't think that was a very good identifying shot of Montreal, it seems most here agree.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I've been to Montreal three times and didn't get it. I associated Old Montreal with the cobblestoned streets - that would have done it for me.

I also Trumaned on the 1944 clue, which was followed by the Headslap To End All Headslaps.

Finally, maybe the board could stand a reminder that performance on Jeopardy isn't an intelligence test? You don't think that 100% of these teachers, if asked offstage who was president in 1944, would get it?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Bamaman wrote:"He was president in Year X" should be an instaget for most players. When the year is during a major war, there should be no excuse for missing it. I also knew he was going to guess Truman when he started hemming and hawing. At least he was close, Eisenhower was even worse. I guess the one who stayed clam was either equally stumped or she just got confused with the other guesses and forgot the year.
This is the kind of play by the teachers that I posted on the game from 2-9-15. I am glad I did not have these teachers when I went to school. Or is that too harsh?
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

I went 5/5 in Board games and Back pacs. Two of my stronger categories.
21 correct in J and 18 in DJ and correct guess in FJ, in spite of never having seen the play or the movie.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

zakharov wrote:I've been to Montreal three times and didn't get it. I associated Old Montreal with the cobblestoned streets - that would have done it for me.

I also Trumaned on the 1944 clue, which was followed by the Headslap To End All Headslaps.

Finally, maybe the board could stand a reminder that performance on Jeopardy isn't an intelligence test? You don't think that 100% of these teachers, if asked offstage who was president in 1944, would get it?
Teachers are supposed to know more than 'the average person'. So are Jeopardy! contestants. If we're at the point where teaching has become so specialized that teachers are only expected to know about the subject they teach(as in 'I'm a science teacher, I'm TERRIBLE at history!...then..*off on tangent about how much America's education system sucks compared to every other country's* :roll:
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Onairb wrote:
zakharov wrote:I've been to Montreal three times and didn't get it. I associated Old Montreal with the cobblestoned streets - that would have done it for me.

Teachers are supposed to know more than 'the average person'. So are Jeopardy! contestants. If we're at the point where teaching has become so specialized that teachers are only expected to know about the subject they teach(as in 'I'm a science teacher, I'm TERRIBLE at history!...then..*off on tangent about how much America's education system sucks compared to every other country's* :roll:
I think the point is more that even very bright folks can have a "moment" when you're up there under the lights, knowing that your friends, family - and this case - entire school - will be watching. For every "I can't believe that no one got that one right" moments, there are usually several times each show - including in this tournament - when I wonder "how in the world did anyone know the answer to that clue?"
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

3 teachers who did not know the President in 1944. That is pathetic.

Is the Common Core dumbing down the teachers also?
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

PeteMoss wrote:3 teachers who did not know the President in 1944. That is pathetic.

To repeat myself: I would bet any amount of money that they know who the president was in 1944. Answering a Jeopardy-style clue about it with your heart racing and the lights in your face and everything else is a bit harder. All of them answered clues that were significantly more difficult.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Silverfox wrote:
Bamaman wrote:"He was president in Year X" should be an instaget for most players. When the year is during a major war, there should be no excuse for missing it. I also knew he was going to guess Truman when he started hemming and hawing. At least he was close, Eisenhower was even worse. I guess the one who stayed clam was either equally stumped or she just got confused with the other guesses and forgot the year.
This is the kind of play by the teachers that I posted on the game from 2-9-15. I am glad I did not have these teachers when I went to school. Or is that too harsh?
IMO, yes, it is too harsh. Elijah Bailey's post above notwithstanding, I think the important things are for teachers to be well versed in their subjects and good at conveying the essential knowledge or skills in those disciplines to their students. But I have no doubt that you can be a first-rate chemistry teacher or French teacher and not a top-notch Jeopardy! player, just as you could be an excellent psychologist or EMT or computer programmer who just has no head for a particular TV game show.

I have certainly taught students who I knew were smarter than I am. That didn't mean I had nothing to offer them. I like to think they still learned a lot from their time in my classes. I know that I have learned a lot from teachers who I thought were not as smart as I am across the board, even though they had particular expertise.

I think the game play during this tournament has been kind of a mixed bag. But that doesn't mean any of these contestants is not good at his or her job. Or even, for that matter, that any of them is a bonehead.

(Confession: I cannot always follow this guideline myself, and I have been known to be way too judgmental about some contestants. Not that I'm proud of this fact, but there it is.)
Last edited by Winchell Factor on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

skullturf wrote:IActually, based only on the "second largest" piece of information, St. Petersburg is maybe not a bad guess. I can only think of a few other world cities where it seems likely to me that Jeopardy! would expect you to know that they're the second largest in their countries. Besides St. Petersburg and Montreal, maybe Barcelona and Melbourne. I don't think there are a huge number of other very well-known ones.
Marseille, Ankara, Cape Town, Rio de Janeiro, Los Angeles...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
skullturf wrote:IActually, based only on the "second largest" piece of information, St. Petersburg is maybe not a bad guess. I can only think of a few other world cities where it seems likely to me that Jeopardy! would expect you to know that they're the second largest in their countries. Besides St. Petersburg and Montreal, maybe Barcelona and Melbourne. I don't think there are a huge number of other very well-known ones.
Marseille,
Which makes me think that a shot of the Notre Dame replica taken from across the square with the statue in the foreground would be a better shot for Vieux Montreal. No one should think Paris is the second-largest city in France.

Or maybe something that gets the Clock Tower in frame -- not sure if you could get a shot with Bonsecours in the foreground and say the Biodome in the background.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

zakharov wrote:
PeteMoss wrote:3 teachers who did not know the President in 1944. That is pathetic.

To repeat myself: I would bet any amount of money that they know who the president was in 1944. Answering a Jeopardy-style clue about it with your heart racing and the lights in your face and everything else is a bit harder. All of them answered clues that were significantly more difficult.
Thank you! Glad to see I have an ally there! (it might also be partly the clue's wording that's at fault. The recent Final (I hope it's long enough ago that I don't need to spoil it, but if I'm wrong, my fellow mods know what to do) about presidential libraries had a much lower get rate than if they just asked who the 40th president was, the "40" in the clue might not have been a tipoff that it was actually president #40 they were asking about.)

There are so many factors in play when people miss "easy" stuff that we don't need to be hard on them.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

zakharov wrote:To repeat myself: I would bet any amount of money that they know who the president was in 1944.
Me too. As I stated in my earlier post, I think Jennifer was thinking about the previous time she rang in at the last second, after the other two missed an $800 clue;
and got it wrong.
zakharov wrote:All of them answered clues that were significantly more difficult.
With their heart racing and the lights in their face.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Marseille, Ankara, Cape Town, Rio de Janeiro, Los Angeles...
Beijing, Delhi[1], Alexandria, Thessaloniki, Antwerp, Quito, Cork, Milan, Tripoli (in Lebanon where Beirut is number 1), Benghazi (in Libya where Tripoli is number 1), Vaduz[2], Mandalay, Christchurch, Rotterdam, Lahore, Manila[3], Kraków, Khartoum[4], Gothenburg, Geneva, Damascus[5], Abu Dhabi, Manchester (UK), Maracaibo, Hanoi....

Many of those could be ruled out pretty quickly for the clue under discussion. But this is definitely not a list you can go through in your head before the "Ooooh... sorry".

[1] But pay attention to the wording. Delhi is second to Mumbai in population of the city proper. But if the clue invokes the "metropolitan area," the two cities switch places.

[2] Who knew that the only Liechtenstein city you need to know is not the most populous?

[3] Quezon City, part of Manila's metropolitan area, is more populous than the area's eponymous city.

[4] Omdurman, just across the Nile, is definitely more populous. Khartoum is said to come in second, but I'm seeing conflicting reports and my head hurts so screw it.

[5] Aleppo is larger than Damascus.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:I have been to Montreal several times. Not only did the picture not look remotely familiar to me, I thought that Montreal had fallen from second-largest city in Canada.
I was actually surprised to see that this is from a Canadian, it would be rather well-publicized I think if Montreal fell from that status. Montreal (~4 million) has always been close in population to Toronto (~5.5 million), no matter how you count Toronto has always been #1 and Montreal has always been #2, at least in our lifetime. (I have a DVD of episodes of You Bet Your Live with Groucho Marx and one of the questions was asking the largest city in Canada and the correct answer was Montreal, I'm guessing this episode was from the 1950s. I should also check to see what my 1939 world atlas says.)

The only other city over one million is Vancouver (greater Vancouver anyways is ~2 million, metro Vancouver is only about 650,000, smaller than Winnipeg.). Depending on how it's counted, Calgary and Ottawa may have hit 1 million very recently (they were close last time I checked).
You are definitely wrong about Toronto's population. It is actually closer to 2.5 million. And, if it is indeed larger than Montreal, then there is no way that the latter is anywhere near 4 million.

Toronto became larger than Montreal shortly after the ethnic cleansing started in Quebec, early- to mid- 1970s. So, while you were already alive, you probably weren't aware of it. I very much remember it because it is when many of my relatives fled La Belle Province with the clothes on their backs.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Remarkable misses LT freebies and FDR... Jennifer vs. Cathy Thursday, hmm I wonder...?!

38R no joy on FJ for goats. Wondered, "Could this be... Tommy? Wife said; "West Side Story"? I knew we were both wrong but LOL.

LT: Erie Canal, Leonard Bernstein, "neptunium and plutonium" (these were named after planets in order of discovery, Uranus >Uranium, etc!); "lithium and beryllium", Franklin D. Roosevelt. no joy on Montreal, I also did not recognize the utterly undistinguished snapshot of a nonspecific world city appearing vaguely European and easy negbait for imagery; only real clue was size. Get on Embargo DD and polonium, radium for Curies' discoveries.

'Nailed all 5 games (operation-checkers-twister-monopoly-battleship my kids' fav), E Pluribus Unum (There's that dollar again!), Table Mtn S. AFrica, Pamplona running of the bulls, Ellis Island (wife shrieking with joy at this get!) Fun with Intersection - postmortem - acrophobia - acropolis and Peter Falk narrating Princess Bride :-)

Brahms' lullaby - Oboe = high wood instrument - Duke of Mantua - Fed Election Commission (FEC). Louisa May Alcott Princess Diaries. Robert DeNIro narrated Taxi. Rust = Iron Oxide.

Again being nice to teachers is good manners. This is a hard game to play and winning is tough, losing and forgetting and clamming is so easy. Anyone can clam anytime on any clue.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:I have been to Montreal several times. Not only did the picture not look remotely familiar to me, I thought that Montreal had fallen from second-largest city in Canada.
I was actually surprised to see that this is from a Canadian, it would be rather well-publicized I think if Montreal fell from that status. Montreal (~4 million) has always been close in population to Toronto (~5.5 million), no matter how you count Toronto has always been #1 and Montreal has always been #2, at least in our lifetime. (I have a DVD of episodes of You Bet Your Live with Groucho Marx and one of the questions was asking the largest city in Canada and the correct answer was Montreal, I'm guessing this episode was from the 1950s. I should also check to see what my 1939 world atlas says.)

The only other city over one million is Vancouver (greater Vancouver anyways is ~2 million, metro Vancouver is only about 650,000, smaller than Winnipeg.). Depending on how it's counted, Calgary and Ottawa may have hit 1 million very recently (they were close last time I checked).
You are definitely wrong about Toronto's population. It is actually closer to 2.5 million. And, if it is indeed larger than Montreal, then there is no way that the latter is anywhere near 4 million.
I may very well be using metro populations there, since my mind cannot bring itself to call Vancouver a city that is smaller than Winnipeg, I have to include suburban Vancouver with that, making me include suburban Toronto and Montreal in their numbers as well. Looking back, looks like the list of largest Census Metropolitan Areas is the one that agrees with my estimations (which I'm no good at, which is why I rarely partake in Guesstimanias), but that seems to define the Toronto CMA as the entire Golden Horseshoe, including Hamilton, and I can see why you wouldn't be party to that. :)

My point is is that no matter what numbers you use to define their populations, Toronto's is bigger than Montreal's.

JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

nserven wrote:
mrparadise wrote:Should have got FJ! but didn't. Showing my age, went with "Bye Bye Birdie", a 1960 Tony winner (I think) about a fictionalized Elvis.
That was my guess, as well.
Same here.