Tuesday, July 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Re: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Whoa! How about that "Deserts" category that featured not deserts but (just) desserts! Alex and the contestants almost willfully pronounced the category "dee-ZERTS" as if they had been warned beforehand about a typographical error. Was anyone here at the taping who can enlighten us?
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

cinemaniax7 wrote:Whoa! How about that "Deserts" category that featured not deserts but (just) desserts! Alex and the contestants almost willfully pronounced the category "dee-ZERTS" as if they had been warned beforehand about a typographical error. Was anyone here at the taping who can enlighten us?
Not a typo. D-E-S-E-R-T-S is the correct spelling and "dee-ZERTS" the correct pronunciation of the word with the meaning (taken from the American Heritage Dictionary, 2nd collegiate edition) "Something that is deserved or merited, esp. a punishment."
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

cinemaniax7 wrote:Whoa! How about that "Deserts" category that featured not deserts but (just) desserts! Alex and the contestants almost willfully pronounced the category "dee-ZERTS" as if they had been warned beforehand about a typographical error. Was anyone here at the taping who can enlighten us?
In that context, both the spelling and their pronunciation were correct, as I learned to my chagrin when I served as Production Editor for the California Law Review nearly 20 years ago. Think "deserve." --Bob
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

The category seemed to be about people who got their "just deserts" (which is how it is spelled in that context).

ETA: Yeah, what they said. :)
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Remind me tomorrow if Linda wins to eat my foot. I predicted Season 27 was done with the 4-time champs.

Overall easy Jeopardy round, 26 / 30. Double Jeopardy = forget it, mustered 21 / 30. The writers are in a good mood recently.

Also, if things go the way they do and Linda wins tomorrow, we're going to finish the season the way we started, 2 champs nearly in a row.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

I usually hate themed categories, and tonight's just made me hungry. Still, I ended up with an average Coryat. Linda is sort of starting to impress me, and it looks like we may see her in the TOC. (Speaking of which, does anyone know when the TOC is?)

My best guess on FJ was "water into wine". I'm Jewish.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

jepkid97 wrote:
My best guess on FJ was "water into wine". I'm Jewish.
Similarly, as a Jewish atheist, I had no way of knowing which miracle was mentioned in all four gospels (I read through the entire Bible a couple of years ago, but this isn't the kind of detail that sticks with you; it's hard to compete with years of Sunday school, etc.). So I ended up going with"turning water into wine." (I chose it in a 50-50-90 over "making bread appear," which I'm sure would have been deemed insufficient in any event). Thus is snapped my streak of 15 correct FJ's.

I'd be very curious to know the religious breakdown among people who got this FJ correct.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hbomb1947 wrote:
jepkid97 wrote:I'd be very curious to know the religious breakdown among people who got this FJ correct.
Roman Catholic, but it's been 25+ years since I attended church regularly.

I could see where this might give some troubles. I started with "water and wine", but then thought, "Wine is certainly a symbol ... water, not so much." Then I went to "feeding the masses", thinking, "Loaves ... that's bread, that's a symbol. Fish .. yep, see it on the back of cars all the time. OK, done."
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

The miracle of the loaves and fishes, I think, is one of those stories that is there in the general Western canon pool of cultural knowledge. The Greek acronym for Jesus Christ our lord (I think) spells "ichthos" (Iesu Christos Theo something like that) which is the Greek word for fish. Early Christians would draw a simple fish silhouette as an indicator of their beliefs-- and it's still used as a symbol; ever notice those fish stickers on the bumpers of cars?

As for my ethnicity/religion-- ya gotta ask? But I still knew this one.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My first thought on FJ was "transubstantiation," but I was pretty sure that a) Jeopardy wouldn't open a can of worms with the Catholic church by referring to the bread and wine there as merely symbols of Jesus; and that b) it's not included among the seven miracles in John (I can't remember if the Last Supper even occurs in that gospel, and if it does, I don't think Jesus' "this is my body... this is my blood" counts as one of the miracles). Then I focused on trying to name a miracle that could be referred to succinctly (a similar thought process helped me get the "Checkers speech" FJ a couple years ago), and my mind went to the Sermon on the Mount; I knew that term didn't specifically refer to a miracle, and I moved on to "feeding the five thousand." Bread? Yes. Fish? Yes.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Monitor & Merrimac double neg had me laughing. I had no doubt the second ring-in was going to be the other ship and be just as wrong. Linda adding to it with the Henley was more of a surprise with her military background. But, at least she was on the right track. Watt for Fulton on the DD was another one she would wish she had back.

I wanted the second DD back when I said Jovian instead of jovial. Sorry about that chief. Missed it by that much.

The FJ clue was guess time for (protestant regular Sunday service attender) me. Water into wine was on my paper for most of think time. Symbols? All four gospels? I don't know. Something didn't feel right and I crossed it off for no better of a guess with raising Lazarus. That also didn't seem right for all four gospels. If I had gone down the right path I would have written feeding of the 5,000 for a response.

Working on the miracle angle more than the symbols angle was not the way to go. Well done by the players to get the double solve. Linda is consistent with the Coryats (16400, 16600, 16000) and one more win could get her a date with one of the Toms or Roger. Oh yeah, or Christopher. ;) Or Paul.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

hbomb1947 wrote:I'd be very curious to know the religious breakdown among people who got this FJ correct.
econgator wrote:I could see where this might give some troubles. I started with "water and wine", but then thought, "Wine is certainly a symbol ... water, not so much." Then I went to "feeding the masses", thinking, "Loaves ... that's bread, that's a symbol. Fish .. yep, see it on the back of cars all the time. OK, done."
My thought process was pretty much the same as econgator's, without the initial diversion at "water into wine" - i.e. went straight to the correct answer through the same reasoning.

To answer hbomb's question, Christian (Protestant) , self-identified "believer" (but a "rational" one, I at least apply critical thinking to my beliefs: God gave me a brain, it's there to be used, not to blindly accept) and regular church-goer.
seaborgium wrote:My first thought on FJ was "transubstantiation," but I was pretty sure that a) Jeopardy wouldn't open a can of worms with the Catholic church by referring to the bread and wine there as merely symbols of Jesus; and that b) it's not included among the seven miracles in John (I can't remember if the Last Supper even occurs in that gospel, and if it does, I don't think Jesus' "this is my body... this is my blood" counts as one of the miracles).
I was unaware that there was only seven miracles in John (though I knew it didn't have nearly as many as the other Gospels, as it's so fundamentally different form them), but I can assure you the Last Supper is in John, as it's an important moment in the life and message of Jesus and in the Christian belief.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

For FJ, I sat there most of the time figuring out how to phrase it: my immediate thought was oh, yeah, the thing with the fishes. And there were a lot of people. (Couldn't remember 'the 5000'). Probably would have said the miracle of the fishes, and probably would have been negged? (My religious background = mostly non-existent. Mom is a lapsed Catholic, Dad a lapsed Episcopalian. I've probably been to church maybe a dozen times in my life?)

I liked the Subs category, and was yelling Hunley at the screen. (I'm a big Clive Cussler (author) fan, and it was his organization that found the Hunley's wreck.)

I've enjoyed Linda's run - she's surprised me a bit. Her gameplay hasn't screamed TOC to me, but I can't argue with her results! Hope she can get a couple more and get in the field... it'd be fun to see two so close in air dates.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

I was a little late watching J! tonight, so if anyone with one of the earlier posts on page 1 wants to copy these into your post, feel free.

Linda Percy: $14,200+$6,201=$20,401
Andrew Bach: $10,200+$10,200=$20,400
Graig Zethner: $6,400-$1,800=$4,600

The New Testament

This miracle that happens in all 4 gospels, including Mark 6 and Luke 9, has elements that symbolically represent Jesus.
Spoiler
What is the miracle of the fishes and the loaves? (the feeding of the 5,000) Graig said turning water into wine (among numerous other things he had crossed out)
I didn't agree with either Andrew's or Graig's wagers in FJ. Ultimately, it didn't matter, since Linda got it right, but neither one maximized their chances of winning. Graig could only win with a correct response and a miss by Linda, so he should have just bet it all. Andrew could have bet $2,200 and won on a triple stumper, with $8,000 to Linda's $7,999, as her $6,201 wager was fairly obvious. The only problem with Andrew betting $2,200 was that Graig could have beaten him $12,800 to $12,400 if both got it right and Linda missed. Graig betting small left this window open for Andrew, but he instead took the all-too-often seen tactic of the 2nd place player betting it all and forgoing their chance to win on a double or triple stumper. An argument could be made in favor Andrew's bet, since his wager of $2,601 to cover Graig would have left him behind Linda on a triple stumper, so he may have figured "I might as well bet it all because if I miss I can't win anyway." I can find no such logic to support Graig's bet.

For FJ, I immediately thought the answer was the Raising of Lazarus, as I figured that the symbolism with Jesus was obvious, as Lazarus had been dead and laying in a tomb for (maybe) 3 days, just as Jesus would be later. I now know that this story only appears in the Gospel of John, and Lazarus had actually been dead for 4 days when Jesus arrived, so I was wrong on all counts. Lifelong Catholic here, by the way, and I even had 12 years of Catholic schooling, so I probably should have come up with this one. My current rate of churchgoing is somewhat inconsistent, and I have never been really good at remembering which stories are in all of the gospels, and which only appear in one or two.

Tomorrow's game will definitely be must-see TV for those following the Tournament of Champions race. Using Nick Condon's figures, a win by Linda with at least $20,100 would make her a virtual lock for the TOC. $18,404 will more than likely put her in, while at least $15,201 will put her around 50/50. Reaching any of these figures will knock out Paul Wampler and put Sara Heard on the chopping block.

On the off-chance that Linda would win exactly $15,200 tomorrow, tying her with Sara Heard at $85,601, and then lose on Thursday, does anyone know if there is a J! TOC precedent for breaking a tie? If one more player were to surpass their winnings, they would then be tied for the 15th and final position.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:I was unaware that there was only seven miracles in John (though I knew it didn't have nearly as many as the other Gospels, as it's so fundamentally different form them), but I can assure you the Last Supper is in John, as it's an important moment in the life and message of Jesus and in the Christian belief.
I should have been more specific about my doubts. The Last Supper does occur in John, but it's briefly mentioned (the focal event is Jesus' washing of the apostles' feet, which comes afterward) and there is no "this is my body" etc. http://bibref.hebtools.com/?book=%20Joh ... -5&src=NIV
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

As a stalwart atheist, my knowledge of the loaves and the fishes comes from George Carlin.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

I'm really Catholic (my father's name is Thomas Aquinas), and it was an easy get. I worked from "what's a common symbol for Jesus Christ?" Fish came to me immediately, and after briefly thinking of walking on water, I went with the loaves and fishes.
sdgilleran
Contributor

Post by sdgilleran »

Was I the only person who thought Linda's response of "loaves and fish feeding" wasn't specific enough? The New Testament records not just the Feeding of the 5000 (which is in all four gospels), but also the Feeding of the 4000 (which is in only two). Both were done via loaves and fish. See wiki article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeding_the_multitude.

(Presbyterian and easy get, by the way.)