Hey, I'm on "The Chase" next week (now with SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Hey, I'm on "The Chase" next week (now with SPOILERS)

Post by BADuBois »

Next week being Tuesday, February 24th!

Go to their website

http://www.gsntv.com/show/the-chase/

punch in your Zip Code, and it will tell you the time and channel it airs in your area.

How was it? Well, first of all, thanks to boardie Alistair Bell who tipped me off last fall to their audition in Boston. If it wasn't for Alistair, I would never have known of "The Chase" and would have never gotten on.

How did it go? Cripes, I can't say *that* yet... :D But I had a lot of fun. Obviously, there's a huge difference in playing "Jeopardy!" and in playing "The Chase." For one thing, you're part of a team... which means the other two people up on stage are your allies, not your opponents. And The Beast a/k/a Mark Labbett, is indeed intimidating.

And since the program is an hour long, we were on their soundstage for... four hours, without a break, which was grueling. While I found the producers and assistants very charming and helpful, "The Chase" upper-management can be brutal: they tape two shows a day, needing six contestants, but nine are invited on the day of taping... meaning that for three would-be players, their excitement and travel to L.A. will all come to nought.

Still, it was a blast, and I encourage all boardies to give it a shot if they have a chance.

After the show airs, I'll be happy to reveal more and answer any questions anybody has.

A final though/request: if anyone out there has the technical capacity to record the program and burn it on a DVD and mail it to me, I'd be glad to compensate you and toss in an autographed PB edition of one of my novels. Thanks!
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Hey, I'm on "The Chase" next week

Post by triviawayne »

I've been helicoptering for a while and this seems like as good a place to land as any...

While this won't give you your show on DVD in HD (DVD is not a HD format anyway, for that you want Blu-Ray), look at the back of your DVR. You will possibly find RCA connections there (red/white/yellow) which you can hook to a VCR (if you have one).

Now that you have it on VHS, copy it to DVD with a VHS/DVD combo unit.

My HD-DVR does have the RCA connections on the back, and I really wish I could find a way to download something from it while keeping the HD format, but haven't figured out a way to do it yet. I have recorded from DVR to VHS, and it does downgrade to SD, giving me a little rectangle of a picture.

If anyone here knows how, please share how.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Offending post deleted.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I have The Chase on auto-record--I'm watching tonight's episode as I type this--and would be happy to burn a copy and send it your way. I'll happily accept an autographed book, but no other compensation is necessary. PM me your addressification.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:Offending post deleted.
Scratching my head as to why someone would post something offensive in this thread.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

BADuBois wrote:Next week being Tuesday, February 24th!

Go to their website

http://www.gsntv.com/show/the-chase/

punch in your Zip Code, and it will tell you the time and channel it airs in your area.
Unfortunately, it doesn't air in my area. I cannot seem to find any evidence that it airs in any area. Otherwise, I'd have your back.
triviawayne wrote:While this won't give you your show on DVD in HD (DVD is not a HD format anyway, for that you want Blu-Ray), look at the back of your DVR. You will possibly find RCA connections there (red/white/yellow) which you can hook to a VCR (if you have one).
Or a computer, or a DVD recorder, both of which will leave you with far better quality than VHS.

Actually, DVD is not a format. I can give you 45 minutes of cable-quality HD, or 7 hours of online-streaming-quality HD, on a DVD. Of course, it will not play on a DVD player. It will work, however, in a computer with a DVD reader, or in a Blu-ray player.

And I've never seen an HD DVR with composite video output. I suppose they exist, but what's the point?
triviawayne wrote:My HD-DVR does have the RCA connections on the back, and I really wish I could find a way to download something from it while keeping the HD format, but haven't figured out a way to do it yet. I have recorded from DVR to VHS, and it does downgrade to SD, giving me a little rectangle of a picture.
I would suggest it downgrades much more than that, seeing as you cannot put 480 onto VHS, and even if you could, you'd lose one quarter of that by the different aspect ratio. (In effect, you get about 180 pixels of vertical resolution on VHS.)

And 'downloading' does not mean 'dubbing from one video source to another'.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:I have The Chase on auto-record--I'm watching tonight's episode as I type this--and would be happy to burn a copy and send it your way. I'll happily accept an autographed book, but no other compensation is necessary. PM me your addressification.
Thanks BigDaddyMatty! I appreciate it... I'll send you my address and we'll go from there...

:-)
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

THey do a week of J! shows in about the same amount of time it took to tape Brendan's episode of the Chase. Still doesn't beat the eight hours to do an episode of Deal or no Deal in 2006. There was a time when a hour long game usually show taped in an hour, i.e. the Barker era of TPIR.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Yes, The Chase's casting policy is quite misleading. They've wasted quite a bit of money on contestants that will never be actual contestants.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Austin Powers wrote:Yes, The Chase's casting policy is quite misleading. They've wasted quite a bit of money on contestants that will never be actual contestants.

Hopefully the three they don't pick for each taping are at least Southern Cali people.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congrats for getting on. Really skewing the age distribution, aren't you? It will be good to see someone on there that I think is actually Beastworthy and belongs on there. Besides, who wants to know about The Beast? What about Brooke? And retro-good luck. I'm sure you did quite well.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

legendneverdies wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Yes, The Chase's casting policy is quite misleading. They've wasted quite a bit of money on contestants that will never be actual contestants.

Hopefully the three they don't pick for each taping are at least Southern Cali people.
Nope. Not only that, you might get flown out for two days of taping and not get picked. The worst thing is that even after it's painfully obvious that they've chosen not to use you as a contestant that day, they won't officially tell you and let you leave the studio until close to 5pm, after you've been sitting around all day.

Brendan, I hope you embarrass them.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

legendneverdies wrote:THey do a week of J! shows in about the same amount of time it took to tape Brendan's episode of the Chase. Still doesn't beat the eight hours to do an episode of Deal or no Deal in 2006. There was a time when a hour long game usually show taped in an hour, i.e. the Barker era of TPIR.
My last trip to TPIR was in 2009, but they were still running a pretty tight ship. It wasn't much more than an hour.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

hi, brendan! i'm sure that you did fine! i'm looking forward to seeing the show next tuesday!
and i'm also looking forward to reading about your "short happy life on 'the chase'"! :)
do you remember me? we corresponded several times about "resurrection day" geography, but i'm afraid that we've lost contact.
did hartwell (or dozois) ever anthologize your "hard stars" story?
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

I'm honored to be mentioned... Of the five people (me included) that I encouraged to audition that day, Brendan was the only person who actually got on the show. All five of us made it through the first cut, three through the second and two through the third. Brendan made it through the fourth cut (being flown out and then made an alternate) and I'm looking forward to seeing how he did!
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Can't wait to watch your ep, Brendan!! I assume you wore a bowtie. I hope you blow it up :)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:I have The Chase on auto-record--I'm watching tonight's episode as I type this--and would be happy to burn a copy and send it your way. I'll happily accept an autographed book, but no other compensation is necessary. PM me your addressification.
How do you get it from your DVR to disc? I've been trying to find a way to get my episode of MSQ off my DVR and on to some sort of more permanant storage, and other than RCA to VCR (which my HD-DVR does have for some reason) I haven't found a method.

I would really love to keep my show in hi-def.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

triviawayne wrote:
How do you get it from your DVR to disc? I've been trying to find a way to get my episode of MSQ off my DVR and on to some sort of more permanant storage, and other than RCA to VCR (which my HD-DVR does have for some reason) I haven't found a method.

It apparently involves connecting with an HDMI cable. I'll give more detail once my wife shows me how it's done.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

It apparently involves connecting with an HDMI cable. I'll give more detail once my wife shows me how it's done.
One limitation of HDMI connectivity is nothing can be recorded/copied though it. If your DVR has a firewire port, on the other hand...

Another possiblility is that the HD inside your DVR has some file system that can be read by a computer.

Of course, I prefer solutions that don't involve your cable company dictating what you can keep and how.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

link to the episode when that becomes available B! Were you in the NYC/Boston tryout?