Tuesday, December 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

vellore
Jeopardy! Winner....of $1

Re: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by vellore »

A few more-or-less random thoughts on the events of last night...

First off, congratulations to Jason on the win. I’d like to think that I made him break a sweat during the Jeopardy round, and he certainly brought it to me and Andrew in DJ. And congrats to Andrew for playing such a gutsy game.

A few specifics:

Talking Italian $800: I started to try to translate each one of the question words, then figured I would mess up, so just rhymed them off in the standard English order (who what where why when), which was different from the clue.

Strange TS on Eisenhower, eh? All the clue was really asking for was his home state, which I’m sure we all knew.

Sorry, U.S. boarders, for my ignorance of the USS Maine (on which I’ve since become an expert). Ironically, someone didn't "Remember the Maine."

Anyone wondering why the “elementary school teacher” didn’t buzz in on Dr. Seuss....the cover image didn’t come up on the screen during taping, and while I was staring dumbly at the screen waiting for it, Jason had aleady sussed out the clue and had his eye on the lights. The mark of a champion.

Ummmmmm...what to say about wax?? I did a total Pavlov on hair and Brazilian...and strangely, wax fit the sports part of the clue. Glad to provide a laugh.

FJ...what a mess. I’d like to say I thought of FDR’s female cabinet member, but really I just tried to think of a President who had more than one inauguration after the introduction of women’s suffrage.

Alas. I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything.

If anything else occurs to me, I’ll post again.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

seaborgium wrote:
thenextofken wrote:In the "Italian" category, would they have accepted the five "w's" in any order, or was it necessary to list them the way they were on the board?
In the clue, they were given in the order who, what, when, where, why; Bill's response shifted "when" to the end. So I think any order works. (If someone had said "What are the five Ws?" would it have been immediately accepted or BMS'ed?)
I was surprised they were accepted out of order. It seemed as if Alex hesitated and looked toward the judges' desk, so I was expecting a reversal.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
joepozz
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by joepozz »

Another clue-jumper, another unfinished board.

When Jason responded to the "Thank You' and "You're Welcome" in Italian clue, Alex followed that up by saying, "Si, bueno," which is Spanish, not Italian. He should have said, "Si, molte bene."
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Congrats to Jason, and a very good game, vellore.

I had to pause the DVR and laugh during the 'Red Book' category when "The Red and the Black" came up. During both of my auditions (NYC - '08 and '10), that book came up during the mock game. In '08, was a triple stumper (I don't remember if it was while I was playing or not), but in the other one, I managed to pull it out of somewhere, to the surprise of Maggie and Robert (and whoever our third was... a guy, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Glenn.) I've never read it, not really all that sure of what it's about... but that book is now my friend because of that. :D

For FJ, my husband said Wilson almost immediately. I think I would have settled on that, too. (Only other one I considered was FDR, but figured that was unlikely as it was 15+ years after suffrage.)
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

mam418 wrote:During both of my auditions (NYC - '08 and '10), that book came up during the mock game. In '08, was a triple stumper (I don't remember if it was while I was playing or not), but in the other one, I managed to pull it out of somewhere, to the surprise of Maggie and Robert (and whoever our third was... a guy, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Glenn.)
I didn't remember his name either, but I do remember Maggie saying that this was his first year on the screening team.

-HackenVito (NYC 2010, 2nd Day, 1st Session)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

vellore wrote:Talking Italian $800: I started to try to translate each one of the question words, then figured I would mess up, so just rhymed them off in the standard English order (who what where why when), which was different from the clue.
Hate to disagree (and glad it was accepted), but I'm pretty sure the standard order is "who what when where why".

Maybe they do things different in Woodbridge. :mrgreen:

Congrats on a good fight. I was rooting for you all the way.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

"Marinade" is not incorrect, so I'm glad the judges reversed that decision. But "tenderizer" is more correct.

Can we please have the Yalta clue in this week's poll? It seemed so obvious to me but maybe that's because I'm Ukrainian.
vellore
Jeopardy! Winner....of $1

Post by vellore »

Miss Mellie wrote:"Marinade" is not incorrect, so I'm glad the judges reversed that decision. But "tenderizer" is more correct.

Can we please have the Yalta clue in this week's poll? It seemed so obvious to me but maybe that's because I'm Ukrainian.
Absolutely right. Breaking down connective tissue is an essential quality of a tenderizer, not so of a marinade. That was a generous reversal.

I was glad that Andrew got that DD and not me, because all I could summon was Odessa and Sevastopol, of all places. Writers must have figured Yalta should be known because of the Second World War leaders' conference.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:
thenextofken wrote:In the "Italian" category, would they have accepted the five "w's" in any order, or was it necessary to list them the way they were on the board?
In the clue, they were given in the order who, what, when, where, why; Bill's response shifted "when" to the end. So I think any order works. (If someone had said "What are the five Ws?" would it have been immediately accepted or BMS'ed?)
I don't think it'd be immediately accepted, I have a strong hunch that it'd be BMSed (and a non-zero chance it'd be negged)
bpmod wrote:
vellore wrote:Talking Italian $800: I started to try to translate each one of the question words, then figured I would mess up, so just rhymed them off in the standard English order (who what where why when), which was different from the clue.
Hate to disagree (and glad it was accepted), but I'm pretty sure the standard order is "who what when where why".
Actually I always know it as "who, what, where, when, why". Perhaps because of these variations, any order would have been accepted (though the order on the screen would have been most preferable, regardless to what you were brought up with.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:Actually I always know it as "who, what, where, when, why".
Yeah, but you're from Manitoba!

Who knows how they do stuff there? Or why.

:mrgreen:

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Miss Mellie wrote:"Marinade" is not incorrect, so I'm glad the judges reversed that decision. But "tenderizer" is more correct.

The yalta clue seemed difficult to me. Had basically no chance on it, personally. I missed FJ, and wish I had a legit reason, like knowing the 19th was after 1917, but I don't.

I also said wax. The fact that it seemed to fit the sports part was too tempting for me as well.

Jason could have gone for a big payday when he hit the 800 in red book-- very high probability that he would know the answer to that question. I agree with markbarrett that you could basically precall badge of courage there.

So is it safe to say that those asserting that jason is "silver, but no higher" have since readjusted? Funny to me that you guys were arguing that and multiple boardies had to read it knowing that they'd run into the buzzsaw.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

omgwheelhouse wrote:So is it safe to say that those asserting that jason is "silver, but no higher" have since readjusted? Funny to me that you guys were arguing that and multiple boardies had to read it knowing that they'd run into the buzzsaw.
As a general rule, I don't get into rating players, but I have not been impressed with Jason. There seems to be a rather disproportionate abundance of luck that I haven't seen with other really great players. Such as... let's see... having his second game handed to him on a silver platter!!

Brian

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:So is it safe to say that those asserting that jason is "silver, but no higher" have since readjusted? Funny to me that you guys were arguing that and multiple boardies had to read it knowing that they'd run into the buzzsaw.
As a general rule, I don't get into rating players, but I have not been impressed with Jason. There seems to be a rather disproportionate abundance of luck that I haven't seen with other really great players. Such as... let's see... having his second game handed to him on a silver platter!!

Brian
I'll completely agree with Brian's words, and add that I'm not into rating players this early in the season. Pointless, really. (But, my feelings about him being lucky a lot lead to my "no higher than silver" assertion, and I fear that, unless there isn't any really strong players in it, the TOC will eat him alive.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TheGrandPiano
Very Official Member

Post by TheGrandPiano »

dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
I'll completely agree with Brian's words, and add that I'm not into rating players this early in the season. Pointless, really. (But, my feelings about him being lucky a lot lead to my "no higher than silver" assertion, and I fear that, unless there isn't any really strong players in it, the TOC will eat him alive.)
I, too, agree with both points here. Apart from his incredible luck in Jason's second game, let's not forget Niall's confusing wager (that, if thought out more, would have stopped Jason at four games) in Jason's fifth game and having the NFL come up as the Final Jeopardy in the only game thus far that Jason did not have the lead going into Final Jeopardy in. If not for the NFL luck of the draw, Janemarie could have been the new winner, and we wouldn't be having the "silver TOC" discussion. I believe that the only thing going for Jason heading into the Tournament is being the first one to get in. We witnessed firsthand the advantage that gave Buddy Wright.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TheGrandPiano wrote:I, too, agree with both points here. Apart from his incredible luck in Jason's second game, let's not forget Niall's confusing wager (that, if thought out more, would have stopped Jason at four games) in Jason's fifth game
That's only true if both Jason and Niall had missed FJ. In that case, Niall's wager would have lost him a game he should have won. As things turned out, both Jason and Niall got FJ right. There was no way Niall could have won in that scenario without an irrational bet on Jason's part.

Also, I'd say Niall's wager wasn't confusing, just not completely thought out. He was clearly wagering to cover a zero bet by Jason. Since he was within two-thirds but not within four-fifths, he didn't have enough money to do this safely. But missing that subtlety is pretty understandable, even if it's frustrating to watch.

Your other point about Janemarie and the NFL is spot on, of course. So it took two instances of incredible good luck to get Jason where he is today. Will that luck continue at the TOC? I wouldn't bet against it. Will Jason buy the same shirt in even more colors? (As of this game, I think he's started recycling them.) I wouldn't bet against that either.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Obvious to me too because I've been there, and to Chekhov's home.
TheGrandPiano
Very Official Member

Post by TheGrandPiano »

opusthepenguin wrote:That's only true if both Jason and Niall had missed FJ. In that case, Niall's wager would have lost him a game he should have won. As things turned out, both Jason and Niall got FJ right. There was no way Niall could have won in that scenario without an irrational bet on Jason's part.

Also, I'd say Niall's wager wasn't confusing, just not completely thought out. He was clearly wagering to cover a zero bet by Jason. Since he was within two-thirds but not within four-fifths, he didn't have enough money to do this safely. But missing that subtlety is pretty understandable, even if it's frustrating to watch.

Your other point about Janemarie and the NFL is spot on, of course. So it took two instances of incredible good luck to get Jason where he is today. Will that luck continue at the TOC? I wouldn't bet against it. Will Jason buy the same shirt in even more colors? (As of this game, I think he's started recycling them.) I wouldn't bet against that either.
Are you speaking of Niall's Final Jeopardy wager? I was speaking of his Daily Double wager, which if he had bet to win in that case, would have catapulted him into the lead. Although, I agree, his Final Jeopardy wager didn't cover him losing if both men answered correctly.

As for his continued luck, anything is possible, and, of course, luck is part of the game. Even watching some of the wagers this past Tournament causes me to believe that crazy things can happen. I stick to my belief, though, that if Jason prepares for the Tournament efficiently, he could be a finalist; if he does not, he could be out in the quarterfinals.

(And yes, I've gotten used to the green oxford by now! :p)
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

I don't think FJ was stupid at all. It makes sense. Women had been campaigning for the vote and weren't that far away from it. It's not like everyone decided to up and give them suffrage overnight- things had been changing for years. It was going to be either Wilson or FDR, and FDR just felt too late. Not instaget, but logically worked well before time ended.

Tough luck for the contestants, running into Jason. He is a pleasure to watch, though.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

So, I needed to remember Edith Bolling Galt and her husband in the inaugural parade. It makes sense she was the first since she became the first female president as well?
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

bpmod wrote:

Brian

Miswagering on dds and fj? Don't we basically see that every game?

Not impressed? Toc would eat him alive? Ok, fair enough, maybe after he wins 8 more you guys will be sufficiently impressed. :D