Thursday, March 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, March 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Winchell Factor »

zakharov wrote:
danspartan wrote:My wife thinks the hat has something to do with her religion.
You are correct, as she confirmed during the interview. Orthodox Jewish married women don't show their hair. I get the impression that she has a hat collection.
If she has one hat, she probably has several. Some Orthodox women prefer hats, some prefer wigs, and some wear a tightly woven one of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snood_%28headgear%29).
Last edited by Winchell Factor on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Category 13 wrote: They also seem to have a fixation with Barack Obama. Two consecutive FJ clues related to him.
Well, he has been the president for the last 6 years ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Barbara Brown from 10/28/10 was the hat wearing lady previously mentioned in this thread. On Google search "barbara brown hat jeopardy" under the images tab to see her from "The Jeopardy Fan."

For another hat lady there is Christine Janson. Here on this board search "christine hat" to bring up the relevant thread where Samer Ismail mentions it.

On Google search "christine janson jeopardy" and use the images tab to see her.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:I had been confusing the names of Juliette Gordon Low and Julia Ward Howe (writer of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic")
I have had the same problem in the past.

Unfortunately, this time, the only one of those two names I could conjure up was "Julia Ward Howe". I knew the correct response was the other one, but I just couldn't make the name surface in those 30 seconds.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote:There was an older black lady who wore a hat on the show a few years ago, looked quite charming.
That was Barbara Brown (though her picture isn't archived). She was the first regular contestant I recall wearing one. Before that, a College Championship contestant, I believe it was Tara Franey, wore one in her semifinal. There's one other woman between Barbara and Rebecca who wore a hat, but I can't remember her name.

Also, Gila Stadler posted on The Straight Dope's forums that she wore a wig for the same reason Rebecca wore her hat.

I never got away from Margaret Sanger on FJ.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

Referring to Margaret Sanger as a "trailblazer for America's daughters" would likely be the most controversial statement ever uttered on J!
Yeah, that was not lost on me in the aftermath.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Instaget for me on FJ. I really wish Austin had gotten it right.
No kidding. First she gets credit for just Tuskegee and then she makes a horrendous wager in FJ.
I'm sure she knew it was the Airmen, but may have gotten confused exactly what they wanted. Still, she should have gotten a BMS at least.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

mxc_takeshi wrote:
Referring to Margaret Sanger as a "trailblazer for America's daughters" would likely be the most controversial statement ever uttered on J!
Yeah, that was not lost on me in the aftermath.
Nor on me. :oops:
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Category 13 wrote:
BADuBois wrote: Poor Rebecca looked like she was trying to strangle the signaling device ---
I would like to see how well she would have done in a different universe where she had the 'Watson' buzzer reflex.
I was rooting for her but she had two disappointing negs with "Adder" and "Fur".
In context of the clue, she was probably thinking "fir" more than "fur"!

For some of older folks, there was an visual gag back in the day about the difference between a spruce and fir ...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:
Bamaman wrote:There was an older black lady who wore a hat on the show a few years ago, looked quite charming.
That was Barbara Brown (though her picture isn't archived). She was the first regular contestant I recall wearing one. Before that, a College Championship contestant, I believe it was Tara Franey, wore one in her semifinal. There's one other woman between Barbara and Rebecca who wore a hat, but I can't remember her name.

Also, Gila Stadler posted on The Straight Dope's forums that she wore a wig for the same reason Rebecca wore her hat.
Sg: See my post above about Christine Janson.

My search-fu failed me for Tara Franey, so I had to use tape-fu. Yes, semis #1 from aught 8:

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: STRONG AS AN "UX" - $2000 box DD: This word comes from the Latin for "side by side"

Unlike many of you with variances on "justa" I could not figure it out and went for the humor with "buxom."
For the win!!!! :lol:

I just emailed your comment to my wife. Any second now her co-workers will be asking her why she's laughing so hard. "It's this ... uh ... unaccountably hilarious but totally job-related paperwork that I'm looking at. Uh huh."
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Woof wrote:She was called a "Trailblazer for American's daughters" when she won in 2012, a century after founding an organization.

My inadvertent BWA: 1912 is too late for Susan B Anthony and the clue mentions daughters and an organization. How about the founder of Planned Parenthood? :oops: Girl Scouts never entered my mind, and I wouldn't have pulled her name even if it had.
I went with Susan B. Anthony; Sanger wasn't even on my radar.

Yes, calling her a trailblazer may be controversial, but what's the expression: Well-behaved women seldom make history. :D
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The Girl Scout founder was what came to mind first, but I couldn't remember her name. The only person I could think of associated with scouting was Baden-Powell. So I ended up writing down Anthony even though it seemed awfully late for her (ad, in fact, she died in 1906).
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Referring to Margaret Sanger as a "trailblazer for America's daughters" would likely be the most controversial statement ever uttered on J!
MarkBarrett wrote: *************
STRONG AS AN "UX" - $2000 box DD: This word comes from the Latin for "side by side"

Unlike many of you with variances on "justa" I could not figure it out and went for the humor with "buxom."

These two comments are worthy of jboard HOF!
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

As I mentioned earlier, I blanked on the correct name for FJ, and could only recall the somewhat-similarly-named Julia Ward Howe.

Here's a mnemonic I just made up, which might help people like me who confuse those two names.

The founder of the GirL Scouts is Juliette G. L.

Also, if you remember that she's from the Southern coastal city of Savannah, you could remember that Savannah is "low" in the sense of altitude and north/south.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I'll just be thinking about Joseph Gordon Levitt (JGL) in a girl scout uniform from now on.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mennoknight wrote:I'll just be thinking about Joseph Gordon Levitt (JGL) in a girl scout uniform from now on.
Oh, like you weren't doing that already.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

dhkendall wrote:
Category 13 wrote: They also seem to have a fixation with Barack Obama. Two consecutive FJ clues related to him.
That's why Wednesday's FJ falls short of being challenging.
Or are you just rubbing it in?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote:
mennoknight wrote:I'll just be thinking about Joseph Gordon Levitt (JGL) in a girl scout uniform from now on.
Oh, like you weren't doing that already.
And this is why mnemonics are good things *mind palace self breaks out the chisel...*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Category 13 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
That's why Wednesday's FJ falls short of being challenging.
Or are you just rubbing it in?
Still challenging because while we know a lot about Obama, knowing his birthday isn't as well known as, say, his middle name, place of birth, or alma maters.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012