When/how do you watch your Jeopardy?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

When it airs, every night
29%
When it airs, a couple nights a week
25%
When it airs, occasionally
5%
Time-shifted, every night
26%
Time-shifted, a couple nights a week
23%
Time-shifted, occasionally
16%
Time-shifted, accumulate and then binge-watch
6%
I can't watch Jeopardy
3%
I don't want to watch Jeopardy
No votes
Other
3%

Total votes: 77

schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

I used to have my Jeopardy all lined up nicely on my DVR, but since I moved, I no longer have my DVR package, and I've been missing Jeopardy! (On top of having no DVR, Jeopardy comes on earlier here, when I'd never be home from work.) So that got me wondering -- I've been reliant on DVR to watch, but how about everyone else? When and how do you watch your Jeopardy?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: When/how do you watch your Jeopardy?

Post by MarkBarrett »

I watch it live, record it on my DVR and dub it onto a DVD all at the same time. Of course I do. It's one of the few shows when I see commercials anymore other than sports. I use the breaks to tally things on my scoresheet.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

I DVR it, but there's really no pattern to when I sit down to watch.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

I have to dl all the episodes as they don't air here. I usually watch from one to three episodes at a time, often at the weekends.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I have commitments Tuesday and Wednesday evenings; Mondays and Thursdays I frequently get home from work while Jeopardy is on, but sometimes I luck out with traffic; Fridays I don't have work. So I timeshift two days a week minimum.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

seaborgium wrote:I have commitments Tuesday and Wednesday evenings; Mondays and Thursdays I frequently get home from work while Jeopardy is on, but sometimes I luck out with traffic; Fridays I don't have work. So I timeshift two days a week minimum.
Similar. I work late Mondays and Thursdays, so I DVR. Other days I watch live, if I'm home on time.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

I watch Jeopardy! when it airs, nearly every weeknight. If I'll be away for the evening, I set my video recorder to record it and then I watch it the next morning.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I would love to watch daily (only time-shifted on DVR), but with the game-show hating wife, I watch it a few days a week, two or three episodes at a time.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote:I watch it live, record it on my DVR and dub it onto a DVD all at the same time. Of course I do. It's one of the few shows when I see commercials anymore other than sports. I use the breaks to tally things on my scoresheet.
How do you get it from DVR to DVD? Is it still hi-def?
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

I watch it when it airs - when I started my job 9 1/2 years ago, I asked my boss for the hours I have so that I could be home in time for Jeopardy! every day. It is, however, always set up to record on the DVR for when I'm away at a conference or when I have another commitment. If I do have to watch it off DVR, I do so at my earliest convenience.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I selected both "time shift every night" and "when it airs every night" because it comes on at 4:30 here and usually I'm working, or on my way home from work, at that time. (My last regular job, though, I got home about 4:15 so I could watch it when it aired). However, I've been out of work for the last two months now so I've been able to watch it "live" regularly (as well as daytime J! at 11:30, which was always taped when I was working). I'd prefer working over the privilege of watching J! when it airs, though. :) I have a software/hardware package that let's you watch and record TV on your computer, so I watch it that way (and if I miss the broadcast it automatically records regardless, so I watch it on the computer), which enables me to use my scoring sheet when I watch as well as I can have the recording on a window of my computer with another window for my browser when I enter episodes in the archive.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I think Daytime J! and J! run back-to-back in Dallas from 5:00-6:00, but on separate stations under common ownership. I usually don't get home until at least 7:00. I try to watch as soon as I get home, but with dinner, putting the kids to bed, additional work stuff, etc., it's often late in the evening before I get to it. Unless I'm extremely time-crunched, I warm up with Daytime J! (sometimes scoring, sometimes not) and then dive into J!
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

triviawayne wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I watch it live, record it on my DVR and dub it onto a DVD all at the same time. Of course I do. It's one of the few shows when I see commercials anymore other than sports. I use the breaks to tally things on my scoresheet.
How do you get it from DVR to DVD? Is it still hi-def?
No it is not still hi-def on the DVD copy. I have the yellow/red/white cords (I'm not tech savvy enough to know the traditional order or name for them) out of the DVR and into my DVD recorder. I like to have the DVD copy (the video quality is not so important) in case something later comes up about an archive entry and it's helpful to look at the game. I keep the games on the DVR for the current week at least and longer if the archive for the game is not done yet.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

triviawayne wrote:I would love to watch daily (only time-shifted on DVR), but with the game-show hating wife, I watch it a few days a week, two or three episodes at a time.
I don't think I could have married somebody who hated game shows.

But, of course, I wish the two of you only happiness.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

We record J! on 2 DVRs each night, but try to watch it live none the less. We time-shift our watching at least one night a week, but on average, not two. (That is, when SCE doesn't have a scheduled power outage while J! airs, as has happened twice in the last 10 days!)
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Winchell Factor wrote:
triviawayne wrote:I would love to watch daily (only time-shifted on DVR), but with the game-show hating wife, I watch it a few days a week, two or three episodes at a time.

With me I wouldn't say that mrs. dhkendall *hates* game shows per se, just that she sees that (along with flags and anthems) is more "my thing". She does come with me to an annual trivia event I go to (along with my LL referral BowyerP).

Actually, substitute "trivia" for game shows above, as I like J! more for the trivia than the game show aspect, we both like watching other shows on (I've been known to watch TPIR if the mood strikes me, her Wheel, and both of us settle in for Let's Make A Deal sometimes since it's on at a convenient time). I've noticed many in the trivia community have trivia loving spouses and while I do, at times, envy them, I also like having a wife whose interests are mostly completely different from mine.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
sethmoko
Contributor

Post by sethmoko »

Not able to watch anymore since we got rid of DVR as well. Watch almost everything streaming via Hulu and Netflix and the like. Hoping somebody can turn me on to a source that I don't know of for watching Jeopardy online. I've been missing it terribly.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Winchell Factor wrote:

Well thank you. As opposite as we are, we are a perfect match.

While the trivia game shows are my favorites, I do love watching others as well.

Trivia, classic video games and cars are my hobbies; trivia/game shows are just a hobby that I spend some of that "me" time on.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

While I was at home this past summer, we had a DVR, and I had it set to automatically record so I could catch it whenever was convenient, and I watched it live whenever possible.

When I got up here to school, for the first month or so last semester we didn't have a TV. My family sent up a small one with a DTV converter box and antenna, but our reception was awful and we didn't even get the channel J! airs on. (The channels we did get were on an incredibly sketchy signal. I will remember for quite a while having to keep my arm held up like Moses to get through a finale for one of my other favorite shows, since that inexplicably helped the reception. :P)

This semester, one of my new roommates brought a much newer (and slightly bigger) TV with a built-in digital tuner, plus I bought a new, much better antenna, and the combination has proved very fruitful...I get the channel J! airs on here just fine, and as it airs at 6:30 PM here, which is usually free for me most days, I'm able to watch it live more often than not. (My newly faithful J!-watching habits have earned me a fun reputation in my apartment. A few of my roommates have actually sat down to watch with me on occasion, and usually when passing by, they at least stop for a minute to see how the game is going. :))
Last edited by barandall800 on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I DVR every episode. If I'm home, I watch it. If not, I'll catch it later that night or occasionally the next day.