Friday, March 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Abraxas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, March 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations, Michael, on your win. This was a fun game to watch. I had 37 correct responses, but FJ was the only triple stumper I got.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Magna wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Tiger Woods is Asian-American?!?
And African-American. And a golfer!
I knew he was African-American and a golfer, but not that he was Asian-Amerian too.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

grindcore wrote:I have seen hell and it is a Jeopardy! clue in comic sans.
God that category hurt my eyes. Maybe I was seeing things after that, because I thought I saw O Pioneers! as a DD when spotted Willa Cather and the O, and Titanic as a DD when given "'big' word" and '1912 event'.

Instaget FJ. 1948 + Hebrew? J, writers, you're too kind! I have no explanation as to how this was a TS. Another day, another win thrown away with a poor wager. It's almost not worth commenting on anymore. Almost :twisted:

Congratulations Michael! I think you bet about 3100 too much, but whatever. Eric wasn't betting strategically anyway.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Magna wrote:
Tiger (famously?) coined the term Caublanasian to refer to his ethnicity.
Sheepin' it real.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Count me among those surprised this FJ was a TS, especially for a group of such strong players. I got it instantly from the 1948 and reference to Hosea, but I did start to second guess myself since El Al seemed too simple a name to be drawn from the Bible.
J.S. Pepys
Contributor

Post by J.S. Pepys »

I was completely stumped for the first half of FJ, then I thought of air travel + Israel but was drawing a blank on the actual name of the airline. Finally, a line from Best in Show popped into my head, when Christopher Guest's character says he was "on an El Al flight to Haifa faster than a walnut could roll off a henhouse roof." I love it when small lines in movies or TV shows end up being helpful later on. :)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Magna wrote:
I knew he was African-American and a golfer, but not that he was Asian-Amerian too.
Woods once refered to himself as Cablinasian, a quadruple portmanteau of Caucasian, black, American Indian, and Asian. This was a Final Jeopardy on a game not presently entered in the j-archive.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Magna wrote:
Well they said right in the clue he has a Thai mom ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

I concentrated too much on the Book of Hosea and put down "Gomer" hoping that was a transportation company.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Michael on the win! This was a very fun game to watch.

I found the J! round to be way harder than the DJ round. Overall I liked the clues that were used in this game, but there were quite a few that I thought were overvalued (like "Algeria" and the "titanic" DD).

The Bible + Business and Industry = About the Worst Possible Category Combination for StevenH. Even if I had picked up on the "1948" TOM, I still probably would have had no guess. I guessed "Delta," just to have something. I am just happy that I picked an airline!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

41 right.

Rough (5), Film (3), 2014 (5) -"EY" (2), Fonts (3), Info (1)
Song (5), Climate (2), Big (4), Author (3), Asian (4), When (4)

No Lach Trash.

Amtrak flashed through my mind first, but it didn't sound biblical. I suddenly remembered El Al- it sounded biblical enough.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Er, I read today's FJ in the NYT and the answer was an Instaget for me... blame my history geekage. But a triple stumper? Oy.

Once again, "Jeopardy!" was pre-empted for March Madness.

"Will no one rid me of this meddlesome basketball?" :D
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:Oh my goodness... some of the wagers earlier from the weeks were bad, now this was quite the case of the "Overbetting Strategy". Michael was only $7800 ahead. He could have bet at least $13,001 to save him a bit more money. If Eric had a little bit more than that, then that wager would have been a good idea. Perhaps he thought Eric had more money that he overbetted?
xxaaaxx wrote:Congratulations Michael! I think you bet about 3100 too much, but whatever. Eric wasn't betting strategically anyway.
They both were betting strategically. Just basing their wagers on Jacqeline's score instead of each others. Eric bet to stay above a zero wager by Jacqueline if he missed, and Michael made sure he wouldn't fall behind her doubled score if he missed.
Michael's over bet was far less risky than Eric's. I think he correctly 'read' Eric as a high roller.
If I'm in Eric's shoes, no way I'm wagering over 5199, which is the equivalent of how Jacqueline wagered on Thursday's FJ.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

dhkendall wrote:No offense to Michael, but it was really hard to root for anyone the way they left the national anthems category to the end. If you want my support, treat a national anthems category like all your Christmases have come at once and say "yay! free money!" :)
It was really hard not like all three of the contestants the way they left the climate category till the end. Let's NOT talk about climate, LOL.
BTW, I precalled seeing Gore's mug as soon as they revealed the category. So predictable.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Really 2 bad wagers in FJ (but major kudos for the ballsy DD wagers)

Michael's overbet brought a miss by Eric into play--2nd place contestants in his situation often wager to just match a 0 bet by 1st (though they are more likely to bet it all or close to, the 0 cover wager is common-especially when in doing so they still cover a double up by 3rd). You lowered your chance to win which is worth way more than the extra amount possibly won. Aggression is good. Blind aggression is not.--Still congrats on the win, you certainly deserved it, just realize that a savvy 2nd place player would have beaten you).

Eric--Needlessly brought in the chance of getting passed for 2nd. Can easily bet enough to pass a cute 0 wager from Michael (but highly unlikely). Took out any chance to win on a double miss, cause really is Michael EVER betting small here? (And if you are going big, just go for it-worth more than the $1,000 difference between 2nd and 3rd)

Got El Al, but did not understand the biblical part. Tried to figure something out but only understood "hebrew", "1948" and "transportation", leaving me with the only Israeli transportation company I've ever heard of.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats on your win, Michael! May you win more games next week.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

CrunchyTaco wrote:I concentrated too much on the Book of Hosea and put down "Gomer" hoping that was a transportation company.
If you said that on the show it would have cost you a pyle of money.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I was in awe of the pre-FJ combined total of $55,600 with wagers that would have resulted in a combined $92,598 for a potential triple get that dropped to $18,602 with the triple miss. Amazing game with such high totals and so sorry they couldn't all come back.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I'm a little surprised how many are saying theu didn't know the name El Al. I Would've thought we would have more fans of the movie Airplane.

That's the reason I know the airline, remember the bearded plane pulling up to the gate?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

triviawayne wrote:I'm a little surprised how many are saying theu didn't know the name El Al. I Would've thought we would have more fans of the movie Airplane.

That's the reason I know the airline, remember the bearded plane pulling up to the gate?
Very well--I also remember that they called the airline "Air Israel", not "El Al".

I did get FJ. Enjoyed today's game.