Tuesday, March 31, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7037, 2015-03-31

CONTESTANTS
Julio Trujillo, a substitute teacher from Denver, Colorado
Erica Rosengart, an advertising executive originally from New York, New York
Michael Bilow, a PhD student in computer science originally from Chicago, Illinois (whose 2-day cash winnings total $38,802)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hi folks, welcome. Our champion, Michael, got the week off to a great start --for himself --yesterday, picking up over $26,000. And uh, let's see how it works out today as he faces these new challenges, Erica and Julio. Good luck! Here we go. Categories, here they are.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE FAULT IN OUR STATES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FOOD & DRINK (4/5)
BETTER KNOWN BY ONE NAME (5/5)
TV VIOLENCE (4/5)
CAUTION, DECONSTRUCTION UNDERWAY (2/3) (Alex: We will give you a one-word clue; you give us the two words that were used to make up that one word.)
INSTRUMENTAL IN SCIENCE (4/4) (Kelly: Stories behind the cutting-edge technology of centuries ago, from the collection of historical scientific instruments at Harvard.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julio: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Michael: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Erica: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michael found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Michael had $1,200, Erica was scoreless, and Julio was at $1,400. Michael made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

THE FAULT IN OUR STATES $600: The Teton Fault

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Julio: $3,200
Michael: $2,400
Erica: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Julio Trujillo is the first player we introduced today. Earlier this year, I did a brief appearance on Stephen Colbert's show, and he was a commencement speaker at your college. Am I right?

Julio: Yeah, that's right. He was my college commencement speaker, and as a part of the newspaper at my college, I was able to interview him, and found out that he's actually kind of a little bit of a geek. He plays a lot of role-playing games, actually, when he was in college.

Alex: Really? Good. [Chuckles]

Alex: Erica Rosengart, advertising executive from New York. Now under the heading of "How on earth did this happen?" You and your family were in Hawaii, and what happened?

Erica: We just happened to stay in the wrong apartment for two weeks.

[Laughter]

Alex: How does that happen?

Erica: We, um, we apparently look trustworthy, so when we showed up with a key that didn't quite work in the door, the maintenance staff happily gave us a spare copy, and we stayed for two weeks, had a great time. Got a couple of wrong numbers and a couple of funny looks in the hallway, and when we returned back to talk to my uncle who had let us use the apartment and started comparing details, we realized it wasn't his apartment at all.

[Laughter]

Alex: At least you didn't have to pay.

Erica: No. No.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Michael Bilow is our champion. Now what happened to you on a ski lift once that kind of scared ya?

Michael: Uh, it was at a--my mother's a big fan of going to, like, timeshares and getting free stuff.

Alex: Oh, yeah, just so long as you don't get in the wrong one.

Michael: Absolutely.

[Laughter]

Michael: So I, um, was going on a ski lift, which was run by people who, you know, were not too good, and, uh, my ski got caught in the chair lift and it hung me upside down as the ski lift started to go up. And thankfully, someone was not asleep at the wheel and stopped it, and I just sort of plopped down into a snowbank, but it was--I mean, four or five seconds of terror. That's scary.

Alex: Yeah, I can imagine. That's scary. That's why I don't ski.

[Laughter]

All right, Julio, you are in command of the board. Go ahead.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV VIOLENCE $1000: This PI show was violent for its time--1967-1975--with Mike Connors, by one count, being knocked cold 55 times
(Erica: What is The Rockford Files?)
(Alex: The series was [*]. Rockford Files was James Garner.)

FOOD & DRINK $1000: This aromatic herb essential to Bearnaise sauce has a sweet flavor similar to licorice or anise
(Julio: What is wormwood?)

CAUTION, DECONSTRUCTION UNDERWAY $1000: Transistor

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Michael: $5,800
Julio: $5,200
Erica: $200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NAPOLEON (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AFRICAN-AMERICAN AUTHORS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GO TO HILL (4/4)
_O_O (5/5)
A JOB WITH NO COMMUTE (4/5)
WE'RE ALL JEALOUS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michael: 17 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Erica: 5 R, 0 W
Julio: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michael snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Michael had $19,800, Erica had $3,800, and Julio was at $6,800. Michael wagered $7,000.

NAPOLEON $2000: In 1806 Napoleon wrote to Cardinal Joseph Fesch, "I am" this 9th century ruler, "the sword of the church"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Michael who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Michael had $29,600, Erica had $4,200, and Julio was at $8,800. Michael wagered $7,000.

AFRICAN-AMERICAN AUTHORS $800: She won a 1993 Grammy for her reading of her poem "On the Pulse of Morning"
(Michael: [*]. Oh, who is [*]?)
[Beep]
(Alex: In the nick of time.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WE'RE ALL JEALOUS $2000: In a country No. 1, Tyler Farr tells his cheating girl, "You broke the wrong heart baby, and drove me" this kind of crazy
(Alex: Drove me [*]. Not a good thing to do.)

AFRICAN-AMERICAN AUTHORS $2000: In 2014 this former stand-up comic released his 21st novel, "A Wanted Woman"

NAPOLEON $1600: For his victories at the Italian border in 1796, Napoleon was nicknamed "The Little" this noncommissioned officer

A JOB WITH NO COMMUTE $1600: Best Buy's Geek Squad has been called "the most famous" group doing this 2-word job that you can do from home

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Michael: $37,400 (lock game)
Julio: $8,800
Erica: $4,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COMEDY INSPIRATIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Michael: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $19,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Julio: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $399 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Erica: You've no hope of catching up... unless Julio does something stupid. So risk $4,199.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Rodney Dangerfield credited this 1972 Best Picture Oscar winner for inspiring his most famous line

FINAL SCORES
Erica: $4,200 - $1,000 = $3,200 (What is No Respect) (3rd place)
Julio: $8,800 + $300 = $9,100 (What is The Godfather) (2nd place)
Michael: $37,400 + $19,798 = $57,198 (What is The Godfather?) (38803-day champion: $57,198)
(Alex: His most famous line, of course--"I get no respect. No respect." And this movie was about respect.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Michael: $25,600, 26 R (including 3 DDs), 1 W
Julio: $8,800, 13 R, 1 W
Erica: $4,200, 9 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $38,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Michael: 27/61 = .443
Julio: 14/58 = .241
Erica: 9/58 = .155
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
INSTRUMENTAL IN SCIENCE $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew holds a metal right angle with a plumb bob.) One instrument, a geometrical & military compass, was used to find areas & volumes, & even determined how best to load & aim a cannon, thanks to this Italian astronomer, who devised it in 1597

INSTRUMENTAL IN SCIENCE $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows an enclosed clockwork model.) Clothmaker Joseph Pope was about halfway through his 12-year project of building a gear-driven model of the solar system that showed the relative motion of the planets & their satellites, when in 1781, this planet was discovered, but rather than start over, he didn't include it
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

INSTRUMENTAL IN SCIENCE $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a machine.) Harvard lost most of its scientific equipment in a 1764 fire; state-of-the-art replacements, like an electricity-generating machine, were bought by this man in London on business for the colony of Pennsylvania

INSTRUMENTAL IN SCIENCE $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a console.) From 1947 to 2002, this control console was at the Harvard cyclotron lab for pioneering research now used to treat cancer; the surrounding healthy tissue is relatively undamaged, but the cancer cells are destroyed by irradiation with these positive particles
(Michael: What are alpha particles?)
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

_O_O $400: Early in his career, Willard Scott clowned around as this character

A JOB WITH NO COMMUTE $1200: This novelist of New York society lived & wrote from 1902 to 1912 in a house she also designed

A JOB WITH NO COMMUTE $400: The USA's average age for this job has been rising for 30 years, to 58.3 as of 2012--remember, it's Old MacDonald
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

GO TO HILL $800: The Kowloon area is known for its eight hills & for having some of this Chinese region's best nightlife

NAPOLEON $800: Napoleon spent the last 6 years of his life here, which he called "this cursed rock"
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Wyoming
Mannix
tarragon
transfer and resistor
Charlemagne
Angelou
redneck crazy
Eric Jerome Dickey
corporal
tech support
The Godfather
Galileo
Uranus
Benjamin Franklin
protons
Bozo
(Edith) Wharton
farmer
Hong Kong
Saint Helena
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Comedy Inspirations
Rodney Dangerfield credited this 1972 Best Picture Oscar winner for inspiring his most famous line.

Spoiler
What is The Godfather? Erica said "No Respect"

Michael Bilow: $37,400+$19,798=$57,198...now a 3-day champion with $96,000
Julio Trujillo: $8,800+$300=$9,100
Erica Rosengart: $4,200-$1,000=$3,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Woah! :o

That was some great playing Michael! Even though I've already been rooting for you (boardie and all) I'm definitely rooting harder for you, I want to see you in the TOC! Or rather, I want to see your playing style in the TOC! Whatever it is you're doing, keep doing it! You definitely have my respect.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote: You definitely have my respect.
I see what you did there.

It was an instaget FJ for me, but I thought it was funny that someone who had never heard of Rodney Dangerfield or his famous catch phrase could have gotten this one right if they know their Oscar winners. I wasn't sure when it came out other than "early 70s" but it was the only movie that fit the clue.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
dhkendall wrote: You definitely have my respect.
I see what you did there.

It was an instaget FJ for me, but I thought it was funny that someone who had never heard of Rodney Dangerfield or his famous catch phrase could have gotten this one right if they know their Oscar winners. I wasn't sure when it came out other than "early 70s" but it was the only movie that fit the clue.
Whereas I know Rodney Dangerfield and his catchphrase (he was one of my favourite comedians when I was performing, I had several of his albums on cassette), but I'm terrible at Oscar winners and couldn't get there at all. (At least it was a forehead slap on reveal: "oh yeah, that's early 70s, and I see the respect thing. Shazbut. Wish I knew my movies more". ) Once I get The Email and/or The Call I'm going to have to find a way to cram up on Oscar winners, I think that's a more critical gap than even sports is.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Huzzah. Pretty much sums it up.

Nice last second save on the DD phrasing. Worth 14k there and more in FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Right now, my neighbors are wonder why the idiot next door was shouting "YEAH BABY!!!" a minute ago. I spent the entire commercial break hoping you were going to go for the 19k wager. Hell. Yes.

Instaget FJ. The connection seemed a little odd in the moment, but 1972 left no doubt.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations, Michael, on your third win! I thought your game yesterday was powerful, but this one was even more so! Two $7,000 wagers on DDs both paid off, and also that big wager for FJ. When was the last time (before Michael, just now) that a winner of a regular game won at least $57,198 in that game? I had 33 correct responses including two triple stumpers: "Mannix" and "transfer and resistor." I also got FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but Tarragon in Food & Drink, but _O_O was an easy run.

Lach Trash: Redneck Crazy, tech support.

I thought Napoleon had something to do with Elba, not St. Helena. Where'd I mess that up?

If Ralph Ellison is the first box, then I know I'm gonna be hosed on the category.

I got Supernatural only because "Friend Who Recommended Warehouse 13 To Me" is also a fan of Supernatural and had been talking about it.

I keep forgetting that "Ironic" wasn't Alanis Morrissette's only hit.

Hmm, what film would have a line about getting no respect, in 1972? Eh, don't even bother going any further, it's probably not gonna be one I've heard of. Even just thinking of "1972 film" and nothing more had me stumped.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

THis win is the fifth highest one day total of all time IIRC, behind ROger's $77K, Kenjen $75K(I think his second highest win was $52K and change), Andy RIchter $68K in a celeb game(would maybe have been higher had time not run out before the second DJ! DD could be found), and SKylar with $66K. THe French COnnection won the BP Oscar in 1972, despite being a 1971 movie. The Godfather WON its BP Oscar in early 1973, as someone argued on Fikklefame. Last weekend's season 30 rerun had the Godfather as the topic of the FJ! clue, referencing the late Mario Cuomo's recent first time viewing of it. He's beaten Kristin in winnings by a couple of thousand dollars now.
KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan »

WOW!!!!

That was an exciting game.

Instaget FJ.

I didn't know they put water buffalo milk in mozzarella cheese. I learned something today watching J!.
I'll be tuning in tomorrow.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

legendneverdies wrote: THe French COnnection won the BP Oscar in 1972, despite being a 1971 movie. The Godfather WON its BP Oscar in early 1973, as someone argued on Fikklefame.
Chronic pet peeve of mine. :evil: Can we all agree that "1972 Best Picture Oscar Winner" = Movie from the year 1972 that won Best Picture?? I get irritated when -- using this example -- trivia games/apps say the correct answer is The French Connection.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I thought Napoleon had something to do with Elba, not St. Helena. Where'd I mess that up?
He was able ere he saw Elba, but was able to escape and was exiled a second time to st. Helena, where he died.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Abraxas wrote:When was the last time (before Michael, just now) that a winner of a regular game won at least $57,198 in that game?
I think Arthur Chu took home around $58K in one of his games last year.

Nonetheless, that was certainly one hell of a game from the champ. I'm really hoping now that he wins tomorrow so he can all but get a spot in the next ToC. It may be a bit early for predictions, but I think he could certainly make a run for the $250K if he gets a spot.

Instaget FJ for me. Also chuckling at the fact that The Godfather can now be considered a comedy inspiration. For some reason, I also enjoyed the "Fault in Our States" category name.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
michaelbilow
Valued Contributor

Post by michaelbilow »

danspartan wrote:Huzzah. Pretty much sums it up.

If I'd messed up the phrasing, that would have cost me $28,000 out of my final total. Almost unbelievable. Can anybody guess the poet I was thinking of before I got to Angelou?
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

jjwaymee wrote:
legendneverdies wrote: THe French COnnection won the BP Oscar in 1972, despite being a 1971 movie. The Godfather WON its BP Oscar in early 1973, as someone argued on Fikklefame.
Chronic pet peeve of mine. :evil: Can we all agree that "1972 Best Picture Oscar Winner" = Movie from the year 1972 that won Best Picture?? I get irritated when -- using this example -- trivia games/apps say the correct answer is The French Connection.
Very good point. I initially thought it was "The Godfather" --- though not in 30 seconds --- based on the clue I saw this a.m. in the NYT. But when I Googled the 1972 Oscar winner, it said "The French Connection," but tying in Dangerfield to that came up bust. So I tried "The Godfather" and boom, there it was.

Anyway, congrats to Michael... what a soul-stomping performance! And that's a good thing... :D

Though I'm puzzled nobody came up with "The Little Corporal" for Napoleon, not to be confused with "The Bohemian Corporal" from the late great unpleasantness.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

michaelbilow wrote:
danspartan wrote:Huzzah. Pretty much sums it up.

If I'd messed up the phrasing, that would have cost me $28,000 out of my final total. Almost unbelievable. Can anybody guess the poet I was thinking of before I got to Angelou?
Morrison?

Glad you caught yourself, at least it wouldn't have cost you the game.

Never knew his most famous act was developed that recently. I remember him doing that routine in the 70s and he looked old (to me) back then.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

jjwaymee wrote:
The correct reference format is by year of production for winners, yes you're right many sources jumble this up and incorrectly post by year of award presentation.
The Oscars for 1971 winners were presented in Feb 1972. Winners for 1972 awarded in Feb 1973, etc. Thus, the most recent winners last month for 2014 were awarded Feb 2015.
I have to admit for a few seconds I was double-taking on this too; "Gosh am I sure? Wasn't Godfather in 1973? DOH it was AWARDED in '73." Good point!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
J.S. Pepys
Contributor

Post by J.S. Pepys »

michaelbilow wrote:If I'd messed up the phrasing, that would have cost me $28,000 out of my final total. Almost unbelievable. Can anybody guess the poet I was thinking of before I got to Angelou?
Great game, Michael! My guess would be Nikki Giovanni.