Tuesday, March 31, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JayK33
Just a Fan

Re: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by JayK33 »

What happened to David Siegel?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re:

Post by seaborgium »

mbclev wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
mbclev wrote:
michaelbilow wrote:
danspartan wrote:Huzzah. Pretty much sums it up.

Nice last second save on the DD phrasing. Worth 14k there and more in FJ.
If I'd messed up the phrasing, that would have cost me $28,000 out of my final total. Almost unbelievable. Can anybody guess the poet I was thinking of before I got to Angelou?
Michael, you almost gave me a freakin' heart attack over that one. I don't want another David Siegel-type tragedy like what you almost did. Had you made that mistake and lost the game by $14,000 or less, that mistake would have cost you the game. (How ironic that it almost happened nearly 20 years after Siegel's infamous mistake.)
Haha, good one. Happy April Fool's Day, mbclev!
IT IS NOT AN APRIL FOOL'S JOKE, SEABORGIUM!!! I literally was breathing hard and letting out whoops of joy and a few OMGs and "Thank God"s when Michael finally phrased his response properly (and I'm sure a lot of you people did the same thing).
It's after midnight, so you can let it down now. Don't worry, I'm a good sport.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

JayK33 wrote:What happened to David Siegel?
He lost $800 on a Daily Double because he didn't say "what is." Four Daily Doubles and two Final Jeopardys later, he came in second in the Tournament of Champions.
Caboom
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Caboom »

Great betting Michael, I hope you stay as the champ for quite a while!
TenPoundHammer wrote:
TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:For some reason, the Super Bowl isn't using Roman numerals, at least for this game. At the host's request, the next game is being referenced as '50' instead of 'L'.
I've heard it's because they couldn't come up with a good logo incorporating an "L". My idea: just "SUPER BOWL" with the L a different color than the other letters.

Can we poll Redneck Crazy? I would think that one was just about impossible unless you follow country music as closely as I, since Tyler Farr is a somewhat new artist who doesn't really have a lot of publicity yet.
I got it because of this song. It was a wag though, just figured it's an expression that's used in country music.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Vermonter wrote: Three islands to remember with Napoleon:

Corsica – birthplace
Elba – exile #1 (1814-1815)
St. Helena – exile #2 and death (after the "100 Days" and his loss at Waterloo; 1815-1821)
Thank you for this. I've been screwing these up for years and for some reason seeing it posted like this will do it for me:

My strange mind will now remember that Napoleon's life revolved around the Consumer Electronics Show: Corsica Elba St. Helena
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

seaborgium wrote:
JayK33 wrote:What happened to David Siegel?
He lost $800 on a Daily Double because he didn't say "what is." Four Daily Doubles and two Final Jeopardys later, he came in second in the Tournament of Champions.
Second by $1301, which is less than the $1600 turnaround that would have occurred had Siegel not made that mistake, and I lost it when I saw the results. (I still wonder if his inner circle still periodically reminds him of it nearly 20 years later.)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

michaelbilow wrote:Can anybody guess the poet I was thinking of before I got to Angelou?
Before I read the rest of this thread — my DVR and I are a couple of days behind on J! — I'm going to say Gwendolyn Brooks.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
michaelbilow wrote:Can anybody guess the poet I was thinking of before I got to Angelou?
Before I read the rest of this thread — my DVR and I are a couple of days behind on J! — I'm going to say Gwendolyn Brooks.
He posted somewhere that it was Elizabeth Alexander, the poet at Obama's inauguration.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Michael, I was glad that you won today. I liked your style.
FJ was one of those times when you don't even have to think about an answer. It just shows up. BAM!
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Silverfox wrote:Michael, I was glad that you won today. I liked your style.
FJ was one of those times when you don't even have to think about an answer. It just shows up. BAM!
Unless you're like me and go "Durrrr, what movies were released in 1972 again, much less ones that would've been Best Picture? I dunno..."