Wednesday, April 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Abraxas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations, Kerry, on your sixth win! I had 38 correct responses including three triple stumpers: Trafalgar, fig tree, and Cavaliers. I also got FJ, and the missed DD of Nuggets.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Zyzzyva wrote:Hey y'all! This is Kaya. K-A-Y-A.

I don't get all the hubris talk. I was trying to maximize my chances, and I have a healthy awareness of my own limitations when it comes to FJ.

Also, while I'm sure the lipstick comment was intended to be degrading by several measures, I am choosing to regard the comparison to a fine player such as Arthur as a compliment.
That lipstick comment was beyond horrible; an apology is not only in order, it should be required for continued participation here. Kudos for choosing to take it as a compliment; you're a better person than I'd be under the circumstances!
Golf

Post by Golf »

grindcore wrote:Holy dog-walking crow, that was quality TV. Kerry just keeps quietly shrugging off very able contestants (although Kaya was very much her own undoing today).

I was amazed she couldn't pull Nuggets out. She lives in Chula Vista and clearly fancied herself to be able to figure any of the 30 team names out. Oro = Gold, that's standard, and where else could you go from there? I'll admit that it's tricky since she may have been looking for a two-word name. "Golden State Warriors" would have been a spectacular miss. What's more, when she mumbled the answer to herself after she ran out of time, I thought she said, "f*ck it, f*ck it".
From a sports expert with decent Spanish knowledge, I'll tell you flat out that was a nasty question in a cake category because the translation wasn't word for word like all the others. Everybody knew oro=gold, but then what? You've still got to take it another step. I'm assuming the word for word is something like little pieces of gold. Even if the clue stated little pieces of gold, could you make the connection to the Denver Nuggets within 5 seconds?
Zyzzyva wrote:Hey y'all! This is Kaya. K-A-Y-A.

I'll be back on a bit later after the show has aired locally, but I thought I'd give my thoughts on the DD.
You made the right call on the DD for reasons I stated above. It is strategically sound. Anybody who tells you otherwise doesn't understand maximizing winning chances. The way it played out (which means nothing as far as proper strategy) had you wagered small on the DD you still would have lost.

Regardless, it was a very nice sole solve by Kerry.

Finally, could a mod stuff something deep into floridagator's hubris? :shock:
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Interestingly, in the MLB teams en francais category last year (Julia's 18th, incidentally), the Colorado team was a triple-stumper.

OK, not that interesting but hey.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Zyzzyva wrote: I don't know if you were able to see or hear me muttering "Who are the nuggets?" while my head was down. Sigh...
I did. I guess because I clearly heard that the first time I couldn't hear anything untowards on subsequent viewings.
Zyzzyva wrote: Also, while I'm sure the lipstick comment was intended to be degrading by several measures, I am choosing to regard the comparison to a fine player such as Arthur as a compliment.
I'd figure someone name Kaya CHUa from CHUla Vista would like Arthur. :)

And Kaya? I always like players who have their distinct style of playing rather than strict top down finish one category before starting another because you were told to play that way. Rebels make the show interesting. ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I have edited my original message to fix the spelling of the contestant's name and revised a comment that some thought was, for whatever reason, degrading and unnecessarily harsh. I have nothing against lipstick or those who wear it. I didn't even notice if anyone was wearing it today.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Golf wrote:
grindcore wrote: I was amazed she couldn't pull Nuggets out. She lives in Chula Vista and clearly fancied herself to be able to figure any of the 30 team names out. Oro = Gold, that's standard, and where else could you go from there? I'll admit that it's tricky since she may have been looking for a two-word name. "Golden State Warriors" would have been a spectacular miss. What's more, when she mumbled the answer to herself after she ran out of time, I thought she said, "f*ck it, f*ck it".
From a sports expert with decent Spanish knowledge, I'll tell you flat out that was a nasty question in a cake category because the translation wasn't word for word like all the others. Everybody knew oro=gold, but then what? You've still got to take it another step. I'm assuming the word for word is something like little pieces of gold. Even if the clue stated little pieces of gold, could you make the connection to the Denver Nuggets within 5 seconds?
Try "nuggets of gold" ;). You're right though, perhaps my shock and dismay was a little over the top. I'm a kind of sports expert with decent Spanish knowledge myself but obviously sometimes things jump out at you and sometimes they don't.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

I loved every single way about how Kaya played and am sorry I do get to see more. Kerry, as a resident of my city, is a great champ, but Kaya was just fantastic. Oh well.

The Nuggets question was pretty darn tough. I saw oro and jumped to a Golden State too

And the wager she made was clearly the right one in DJ with how FJ turned out. People here would give contestants guff for not aggressively wagering on periodic elements, even a smaller pool here to choose from.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

What. A. Game.

Kaya, you played well. Congrats on getting on... which is an accomplishment in itself!

And Kerry, as a fellow New Hampshire resident, good job.

As a fan, was tickled to see H.P. Lovecraft as a clue.

Speaking of clues, was stunned that Trafalgar was a triple-stumper.

FJ and Shakespeare... oh my... but it was an Instaget for me.

Looking forward to tomorrow!
Last edited by BADuBois on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
anotherclue
Contributor

Post by anotherclue »

Hey Kaya, nice playing. The ending and the last DD was rough. BTW, I have a question. I noticed you went for the $800/$1600 clues early. Was that intentional on your part?
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Zyzzyva wrote: I don't get all the hubris talk. I was trying to maximize my chances, and I have a healthy awareness of my own limitations when it comes to FJ.
You took your shot and unfortunately it didn't work out. I loved your style of play and I thought you did a hell of a good job.

Is everybody aware of the "Foes" list on the User Control Panel? More people should take advantage of it. I've had the hateful, ignorant f***tard referenced in the above quote on my Foes list for close to a year now. It blocks those posts and makes my board reading experience much more enjoyable.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Kerry on becoming a superchampion!

I have to echo the positive things that people have said about Kaya. Honestly, I enjoyed watching her more than any contestant who we have seen in regular play since Roger Craig. I am sorry that things didn't work out for her, but at least she went down fighting.

I love the NBA and follow it far more than any other sport, but the only one that I got in that category was "Cavaliers." I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, but foreign languages were never my thing.

"Dutch uncle" and "H.P. Lovecraft" (when spotted "love") were ridiculously overvalued, at $2000.

I had no idea on FJ. I said King Lear and considered Richard III. If only I had remembered the FJ from Bob Harris's first round UToC just a little more clearly then I might have gotten it. It's also cool that Ken Jennings had that FJ that mentioned Richard III as one of only 4 Shakespeare plays that feature ghosts on stage.
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

floridagator wrote:How satisfying it was to watch Kaya get her instant comeuppance. She was basically a female Arthur Chu, combined with the arrogance of that player from last week whose hubris took three days to unmake him. Kaya took care of that in only one day. It wasn't enough for her to have a $5800 lead. She had to make a bet that was more than sufficient to make her a lock if she got it right, but left her practically out of contention if she got it wrong. In a category about which she knew almost nothing and had already been negged.
Since (as Kaya stated) the category was not one "about which she knew almost nothing," the way the rest of the game went is a perfect demonstration of why the wager she made was a very smart one. It's too bad it didn't work out, because I would have liked to see more of her on the show.

(And although the "female Arthur Chu" comparison is obvious, I didn't see anything that suggested she was arrogant.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The only way to assure a win in FJ us to have a lock. Here, she can either bet small to be in the lead or go big and get the lock. You do not know what FJ will be, so if you feel good about the category (as she said she did) then you should absolutely go big.
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

While I don't personally care for Kaya's approach to the game, and would really resent it as a fellow player, I must admit it made for a more-exciting-than-usual episode. And I'm glad to see her chime in here and express such positive feelings about her experience. I do admire Kerry's imperturbable play in the face of persistently strong opposition: she just keeps answering well and always has a more than respectable total going into FJ.
Zyzzyva
Valued Contributor

Post by Zyzzyva »

anotherclue wrote:Hey Kaya, nice playing. The ending and the last DD was rough. BTW, I have a question. I noticed you went for the $800/$1600 clues early. Was that intentional on your part?
Yes. The Daily Doubles are most commonly found in the fourth row, so that's where I go! If you remember, Gautam did the same thing two weeks ago. Well, I was the alternate for that taping, and I was going after $800s during rehearsal. So I like to think I deserve the credit/blame for having that keep happening to him.

My clue selection plan is generally fourth row, third row, fifth row, second row, skipping categories that I think are less likely to have a DD. Stupid Answers, Carmen Sandiego, brain teaser puzzles, anagrams, quickfire categories. Clearly, I misjudged that the writers wouldn't put a DD in NBA Teams. I would also take care to skip any category in DJ where a DD has already been revealed.
Last edited by Zyzzyva on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

willwoodlen wrote:And I'm glad to see her chime in here and express such positive feelings about her experience.
I would expect nothing less from a Boardie of over three years standing.

Nice to finally know who you are, Zyzzyva.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Kaya, you played a great game.

Floridagator, unless you're channeling Queen Victoria, I think you need to change "we" to "I" in your signature.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Lost in the excitement of Kaya's DD gamble is Kerry becoming a superchamp. Kaya played a good game, but Kerry kept it close enough to win the game.

Congratulations, Kerry!!!!
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Kaya, you played awesomely. The DD bet was totally the right call, too.

That was an excellent FJ, incidentally.