Friday, April 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, April 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7045, 2015-04-10

CONTESTANTS
Alex Jacob, a currency trader from Chicago, Illinois
Laura Kohlenberg, a global talent management associate originally from Pemberville, Ohio
Chris Hurt, an actor and grants analyst from New York, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $30,801)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex Trebek: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hi, everyone. This has been a week of marvelous, big-number games. Case in point--Chris picked up over $30,000 yesterday. So I hope today works out the same for one of you three. Laura and Alex, welcome aboard. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round, a round with one Daily Double which will appear in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERARY LANDMARKS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PUT ON YOUR DISCO SHOES (4/5)
HERE COMES THE SUN (4/5)
APRIL (5/5)
TAX TIME (4/5)
BETTER FIND THAT "W" 2 (3/5) (Alex Trebek: Each correct response will have two W's in it.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alex: 12 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Chris: 9 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Laura: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Chris found the Daily Double on the 6th clue. Chris had $1,600, Laura was in the red with -$200, and Alex was at $400. Chris wagered $1,000.

LITERARY LANDMARKS $600: You can visit the Belfast buildings where as a child this author saw a lion door knocker & an elaborate wardrobe
(Alex Trebek: Yes. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Chris: $4,000
Alex: $1,800
Laura: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex Trebek: Alex Jacob is a currency trader who used to be a professional poker player. Are the two similar?

Alex Jacob: Uh, well, they're both businesse you could come home from a long day's work with less money than you started. [Laughs]

Alex Trebek: I was just gonna say, broke, yeah.

Alex Jacob: But besides that, you know, there's pattern recognition and just probabilistic mindset.

Alex Trebek: The way the stock market is fluctuating these days, and the way the currencies are fluctuating and problems with the euro and Greece in particular...

Alex Jacob: Yeah.

Alex Trebek: That's gotta scare guys like you.

Alex Jacob: Yeah, um, there was a big move in the Swiss franc recently that blew a lot of guys out, so, yeah, it can get wild out there for sure.

Alex Trebek: Okay. That's why you're here--to earn money.

Alex Jacob: [Laughs] Right.

Alex Trebek: So you can pursue your daytime job.

Alex Trebek: Laura Kohlenberg is originally from Pemberville, Ohio, is an identical twin?

Laura: I am an identical twin. My parents were told to expect one big boy. The doctor got called back into the delivery room to be told that they weren't actually done yet, and then my dad's response I would have loved to see when the doctor came out and told him he had two little girls instead of a boy.

Alex Trebek: [Laughs] One big boy with two heads.

[Laughter]

Alex Trebek: Or two little girls.

Laura: Yes.

Alex Trebek: I'll take the two little girls.

Alex Trebek: Chris Hurt, our champion, actor and grants analyst, who has done some interesting work narrating a lot of books for the blind, right?

Chris: I went to college in Washington, D.C., and the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped runs a program, um, where books are narrated, um, uh, for listening by blind people and people with physical handicaps.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HERE COMES THE SUN $200: The "Yes, Virginia" editorial was the most famous read in the 117-year run of this city's Sun newspaper
(Alex: What is Baltimore?)
(Chris: What is Richmond?)
(Laura: What is Chicago?)

BETTER FIND THAT "W" 2 $600: On or toward the lee side
(Alex: What is windward?)

BETTER FIND THAT "W" 2 $800: Deglutition is the process of doing this, perhaps hundreds of times a day

PUT ON YOUR DISCO SHOES $1000: Don't "Freak Out", but Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust" has a bass line similar to "Good Times" by this "stylish" band

TAX TIME $800: Beginning & ending with the same letter, this type of "tax asset" may be used for a company's future tax liability
(Alex Trebek: Less than a minute to go now, Alex.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Chris: $5,600
Alex: $5,000
Laura: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, April 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DICTIONARY OF SCIENCE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
U.S. GEOGRAPHY (4/5)
"MARK" YOUR WORDS (4/5)
SHOWBIZ ALTER EGOS (4/4)
CARPETS & RUGS (4/4)
BOOKS OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE? (1/3, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex Trebek: And you have to give us the missing number in Roman numerals.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alex: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Chris: 6 R, 2 W
Laura: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alex snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Chris had $6,000, Laura had $3,000, and Alex was at $8,600. Alex made it a True Daily Double, wagering $8,600.

DICTIONARY OF SCIENCE $1600: "E" is for this hard outer body of an animal, like a mollusk's shell
(Alex Trebek: Hey, Alex, it's just like currency trading, isn't it?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Alex who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Chris had $11,600, Laura had $1,800, and Alex was at $24,400. Alex wagered $4,000.

BOOKS OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE? $1200: From MCMXV, "The ____ Steps"
(Alex Jacob: [Stalling while wagering] Um... [Whispers] Let's see... [Under breath] BOOKS OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE?...)
(Alex Trebek: Hurry.)
(Alex Jacob: Uh... $4,000.)
(Alex Trebek: All right. Here is the clue...)
(Alex Jacob: [Long pause while stalling] What is... [long pause] 39?)
[Beep]
(Alex Trebek: Sorry. You had to give it in Roman numerals. [*]. Go again.)
(Alex Jacob: [Shrugs, scoffs, chuckles, pauses] BOOKS for $800.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
U.S. GEOGRAPHY $2000: The executive mansion in this state capital was the 19th century home of U.S. Senator James G. Blaine
(Alex: What is Lansing?)

"MARK" YOUR WORDS $2000: People buying sausage or strudel in Nazi Germany paid for it with these
(Laura: What are Deutsche marks?)
(Alex: Remember, the Third Reich.)

BOOKS OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE? $800: By Elmore Leonard, "____ Pickup"
(Chris: What is XXI?)
(Alex Trebek: It's 52, so it's [*]. Alex, pick again. Less than a minute.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alex: $23,200 (lock game)
Chris: $10,800
Laura: $1,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RUSSIANS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Alex: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Chris: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $7,199 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Laura: You've no hope of catching up... unless Chris does something stupid. So risk $1,799.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The subtitle of a biography about this early 20th century man is "The Saint Who Sinned"

FINAL SCORES
Laura: $1,800 - $1,700 = $100 (Who is Lenin) (3rd place)
Chris: $10,800 + $9,200 = $20,000 (Who is Rasputin?) (2nd place)
Alex: $23,200 - $0 = $23,200 (Who is) (New champion: $23,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Alex: $20,200, 25 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Chris: $10,400, 15 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Laura: $1,800, 7 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $32,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Alex: 25/60 = .417
Chris: 16/59 = .271
Laura: 7/58 = .121
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HERE COMES THE SUN $800: The leader of the Nationalists, he died in 1925 after overthrowing China's monarchy

PUT ON YOUR DISCO SHOES $800: The Trammps wanted to "burn that mother down" with this song from "Saturday Night Fever"
(Chris: What is "Burn, Baby, Burn"?)

PUT ON YOUR DISCO SHOES $600: To everything there is a season: the first Top 40 hit for this "Queen of Disco" was "Love To Love You Baby"
(Chris: Who is Minnie Riperton?)

"MARK" YOUR WORDS $1200: When reporting a conversation, the British use single ones where we use double ones
(Alex Trebek: You weren't too confident delivering that one, I think.)
(Alex Jacob: No, I wasn't.)
(Alex Trebek: That's all right. It's correct.)

U.S. GEOGRAPHY $1600: It's the highest peak in the Sierra Nevada
(Chris: What is Mount Shasta?)

DICTIONARY OF SCIENCE $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows an animation on the monitor.) "P" is for this vascular plant tissue composed of specialized cells that moves food from the leaves

CARPETS & RUGS $2000: Small octagons are features of the rugs named for this younger German painter

BOOKS OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE? $1600: HAL the computer returns in "____: Odyssey Two"
(Alex Jacob: What is... M... M... X...?)
(Alex Trebek: [Interrupting] Yes, 2010, you got it.)
(Alex Jacob: [Pause] ...U.S. GEOGRAPHY, $400.)

U.S. GEOGRAPHY $400: This spacey Florida cape is just east of the Banana River
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
C.S. Lewis
New York City
downwind
swallowing
Chic
deferred
exoskeleton
XXXIX
Augusta
Reichsmarks
LII
Rasputin
Sun Yat-sen
"Disco Inferno"
Donna Summer
quotation marks
Whitney
phloem
Hans Holbein
MMX
Canaveral
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Russians
The subtitle of a biography about this early 20th century man is "The Saint Who sinned".

Spoiler
Who is Rasputin? Laura said Lenin; Alex had no guess.

Alex Jacob: $23,200-$0=$23,200...now a 1-day champion with $23,2000
Chris Hurt: $10,800+$9,200=$20,000
Laura Kohlenberg: $1,800-$1,700=$100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

If only one episode of J! were to survive in the Museum of Radio & Television, I would not want it to be this one. It was kind of a lackluster game dominated by a single bold TDD. Poor Laura barely got a word in, and her father wanted a boy, to boot! There was some nasty negbait in the game: lee side, German currency. I see no reason Third Reich marks cannot be called Deutsch marks. Their name is mark, and Deutsch means they are German.

I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. Chris didn't get Donna Summer? Really? He didn't know who the Queen of Disco was? Even though the clue referenced two of her songs? He thought some singer who had one hit and then died was the queen? I hope that answer doesn't get him banned from musical theater. So close, too. Chris only needed one more good answer to win the game, since Alex didn't know FJ.

Would judges have accepted my answer of east for where the prayer rug needs to face? And I really don't think AT needed to do that visual to illustrate swallowing.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I also said east for the prayer rug, but if you live five miles east of Mecca, would you still face your rug east, meaning you'd be praying 25,000 miles toward Mecca?

Yeah, not the most exciting game outside of Alex's TDD. Not to get back into the debate again, I think it was a good risk. He seemed comfortable with the category and they told us what letter the word was going to begin with.

I have always heard of Summer as the Queen of Disco and never heard of whoever that was Chris responded with. Really surprised he missed that one.

As for taking risks, Chris should have thrown in the whole $1,600 on his early DD. Yes, it was a bottom row clue, but he strikes me a well read guy. Then they throw him a softball clue. Name a writer associated with a lion and a wardrobe? What, they couldn't find a witch somewhere in Lewis' house?

I think Alex set a new record for length of time in coming up with his bet on the Roman numerals DD. Then he really started dragging it out the rest of the round.

I missed FJ, went with Nicholas II.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

floridagator wrote:Would judges have accepted my answer of east for where the prayer rug needs to face?
Nope, not in the least. For example, Muslims in Indonesia and India would face west, in Alaska and Ethiopia would face north (yes, Alaska), and those in Turkey and Syria would face south. In fact, from your position in Florida, your Muslim neighbours would face northeast, not east.

Now, I'm wondering if judges would have accepted my considered answer of "qibla". (I decided to just answer "Mecca" since that's probably what they were going for, I figured if I want to get on the show I don't want to get too cutesy with my answers.)

Not surprised at all when Alex went TDD when he did, very much a poker player's move. Glad it paid off. Wondering what made you decide to go $4K on the second one? (Bet you don't like the fact that J! doesn't give you nearly as much time as professional poker does to make a decision (which is unlimited, no host telling you to hurry) - I enjoy playing poker, and watching it on TV, and it seems like half the time it's people sitting there thinking about what to bet.)

Cheered when Alex got the lock, love rooting for a boardie!

Instaget FJ, had it before the music started.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Was it just me or did Alex sound like he was going to say more after "What is MMX?" but Alex cut in to credit him and he wisely stopped? Could have swung the game, if so.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Bit of a strange game. Alex (the contestant) looked like he'd rather be having his teeth pulled than being there, but I guess that's what they call a poker face.

I thought reichsmarks was a perfectly good clue, I don't see why the writers would have included the reference to nazi germany if it had just been plain ol' deutschmarks. Mind you, I said "reichmarks", but I'm counting it.

Alex was afforded more time to come up with his wager than he was to come up with the answer. Very bizarre. But that's the risk when you're hunting DDs, you can land on one in the bullshit category without knowing exactly what you're getting into.

Instaget FJ, who else could it be? Thanks, Boney M.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

grindcore wrote:I thought reichsmarks was a perfectly good clue, I don't see why the writers would have included the reference to nazi germany if it had just been plain ol' deutschmarks. Mind you, I said "reichmarks", but I'm counting it.
I wouldn't. From a brief glancing of this Wikipedia article (combined with my personal knowledge of the time, as this question covers a few interests of mine, such as world currencies, history, and WWII), the Reichmark was made as a separate currency from the one used until WWI (you know the one that famously went through hyper-inflation after the war, making it worthless, and giving Hitler another reason to be pissed off?) to cure the hyperinflation (it's not uncommon for a country to introduce a completely new currency to stave off hyperinflation), which thus needed a new name. Plus, after WWII, the Deutchemark was introduced specifically to rid the country of Nazi symbols, if the currency had the same name used as the Nazi era one, it would have been called something quite different. IMHO, Deutchemark and Reichmark are completely different things, and the former is not an acceptable answer.
grindcore wrote:Instaget FJ, who else could it be? Thanks, Boney M.
It looks like [the] disco [category] isn't dead!

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

dhkendall wrote:
grindcore wrote:I thought reichsmarks was a perfectly good clue, I don't see why the writers would have included the reference to nazi germany if it had just been plain ol' deutschmarks. Mind you, I said "reichmarks", but I'm counting it.
I wouldn't. From a brief glancing of this Wikipedia article (combined with my personal knowledge of the time, as this question covers a few interests of mine, such as world currencies, history, and WWII), the Reichmark was made as a separate currency from the one used until WWI (you know the one that famously went through hyper-inflation after the war, making it worthless, and giving Hitler another reason to be pissed off?) to cure the hyperinflation (it's not uncommon for a country to introduce a completely new currency to stave off hyperinflation), which thus needed a new name. Plus, after WWII, the Deutchemark was introduced specifically to rid the country of Nazi symbols, if the currency had the same name used as the Nazi era one, it would have been called something quite different. IMHO, Deutchemark and Reichmark are completely different things, and the former is not an acceptable answer.
Well, there goes your invitation to my birthday party.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

grindcore wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
I was going to bring Reichmarks anyways, so it'd probably be for the best. :)

EDIT: Wait, I misread your response, I thought you said that you were counting "deutchmarks" even though you agreed with "reichmarks" being the only answer. Yes, I agree with you counting "reichmarks", but I'd disagree with anyone who said "deutchmarks" should be counted.

Am I invited again? :)

whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Plactus wrote:Was it just me or did Alex sound like he was going to say more after "What is MMX?" but Alex cut in to credit him and he wisely stopped? Could have swung the game, if so.
Nah, I knew that one
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

floridagator wrote:If only one episode of J! were to survive in the Museum of Radio & Television, I would not want it to be this one.
Haha good start to the thread.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Good god, Alex dragged out that DD wager.

WLT New York or Edinburgh in $200?

Ran dictionary of Science.

I still can't remember what 50 is in Roman Numerals. Ever. Or anything beyond 10.

Tax was miles over my head.

No guess on FJ! I know nothing about Rasputin.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

I'm guessing, despite the lack of pic, that that's you Alex. I remember seeing your dog watching Jeopardy elsewhere.

Did you even realize you made the "all in" motion for the TDD, or was it such instinct that you didn't you notice? :p
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote:I see no reason Third Reich marks cannot be called Deutsch marks.
Because they didn't exist until 1948?

And that wasn't their name.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations, Alex, on your win. I had 42 correct responses including two triple stumpers: Reichsmarks and LII. Instaget FJ.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats, Alex. Nice move on that TDD earlier on.

By the way, is this the same guy? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Jacob Being a pro poker player and all.
Leopardy!
Contributor

Post by Leopardy! »

dhkendall wrote:
grindcore wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
I was going to bring Reichmarks anyways, so it'd probably be for the best. :)

EDIT: Wait, I misread your response, I thought you said that you were counting "deutchmarks" even though you agreed with "reichmarks" being the only answer. Yes, I agree with you counting "reichmarks", but I'd disagree with anyone who said "deutchmarks" should be counted.

Am I invited again? :)
I agree, dh. I thought it was Reichmark, but AT said Reichsmark. As a contestant, I'd have been unhappy if they'd rejected my answer, but ten minutes later announced that it was in fact an acceptable variation, giving me credit after the fact. I've never liked that policy.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I was able to correctly guess Final Jeopardy, but I was surprised that no one answered "Stalin", since Alex seemed to be protecting his lock by stallin' at the end of the game... :lol: