Friday, April 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Friday, April 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I still can't remember what 50 is in Roman Numerals. Ever. Or anything beyond 10.
Then you should find out who is posting under your account, because this post by "TenPoundHammer" was in my head as I heard the clue! What you said just two weeks ago made me remember L is 50! Give me a break TPH!!!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I still can't remember what 50 is in Roman Numerals. Ever. Or anything beyond 10.
Then you should find out who is posting under your account, because this post by "TenPoundHammer" was in my head as I heard the clue! What you said just two weeks ago made me remember L is 50! Give me a break TPH!!!
Okay, sometimes I do remember. But when a category pops up, I blank on almost all of them.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:
That was NINE DAYS AGO!!! You expect him to remember that?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
floridagator wrote:If only one episode of J! were to survive in the Museum of Radio & Television, I would not want it to be this one.
Haha good start to the thread.
The show's starting here in a couple of minutes, but it sounds like congratulations are in order!

I don't know if you're on Facebook, but I'd avoid the J! page if I were you. :)
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Gotta say I'm not a big fan of the 4-corners stalling, even though it's legal. Nevertheless, congratulations on the well-earned victory, Alex.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ElendilPickle wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:
floridagator wrote:If only one episode of J! were to survive in the Museum of Radio & Television, I would not want it to be this one.
Haha good start to the thread.
The show's starting here in a couple of minutes, but it sounds like congratulations are in order!

I don't know if you're on Facebook, but I'd avoid the J! page if I were you. :)
Or any social media.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Okay, sometimes I do remember. But when a category pops up, I blank on almost all of them.
Then don't say "ever". Hyperbole (and self-effacement) (look it up) is not an admirable trait that wins friends.

Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Alex earned his win with intelligence and strategy, and I enjoyed watching the game. Way to go. :)

There are always too many backseat-players when it comes to the Jeopardy! audience- forget 'em. It isn't just about knowing trivia, but about playing the game. Though anyone who has ever played Alex the contestant knows he darn well knows his trivia incredibly well too.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

dhkendall wrote: Not surprised at all when Alex went TDD when he did, very much a poker player's move. Glad it paid off. Wondering what made you decide to go $4K on the second one?
http://justwager4000.co
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

If he's the same guy as the Wiki article I posted here, can we go ahead and add his Jeopardy stats to his page?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Alex on the well earned victory! Not that I was expecting anything less, but it was awesome to see a player who really knew strategy. If Kaya couldn't win her game then I am glad that Alex was able to pull his out.

The Science Terms category was definitely a good one to go TDD. I joined Alex in being confused on the Roman Numerals DD; at first I thought that the responses in that category were supposed to be given in Roman numerals, but the way that the DD clue was presented made me think that they wanted the Arabic.

I was also thinking that $4000 would be a good wager on that second DJ round DD. And I can't blame Alex for taking so long on the wager, as that was a tough spot. I also seem to remember Roger Craig taking just as long on at least one of his DD wagers; great minds think alike!

I really had no idea on FJ, but I considered Rasputin, Nicholas II, and Lenin as possibilities. Luckily, I picked the right one!
doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by doihavetoreally »

I have seen J for some years now, but surely Alex takes the cake for stalling. The way he was playing, he didn't need to at all. Congrats Boardie!!

I think the writers did a favor by not putting Rhymes with Great Lakes and Roman Numeral in the same game. :) I too blurted out Deutsche Mark :(

For FJ - Wasn't Nicholas II actually a Saint and he is from early 1900s. Since he was made a saint, I got away from Rasputin -- I consider it a major negbait!!!
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

Congrats to Alex on his successful strategy and his impressive knowledge, but you guys are being way too kind about the stalling. There's no excuse.

On a probably less arguable topic, why in heaven's name did the writers include the word "dame" in a $2000 clue about Dame Edna?? Again, no excuse.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Prayer rug faces towards Mecca, not 'east.' If you're east of Mecca, e.g., in Pakistan, it has to face west, eh? Aha!
44R + TS gets on: Reichsmarks (for all the above raisons, ne plus pas ultra!); Augusta, Maine/James Blaine (the rhyme keeps the mnemyne!); Sun paper NYC, "Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus!"
Gets on flat, excise, estate taxes but clam on "deferred" tax asset, too far to stretch, meh.

I liked Alex' style, he's deceptively calm and detached, almost casual (except for highly amusing expressions when negged for '39' vs. XXXIX, WOW AT! You took it well and came back strong. GJ!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
lookingup73
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by lookingup73 »

Plactus wrote:Was it just me or did Alex sound like he was going to say more after "What is MMX?" but Alex cut in to credit him and he wisely stopped? Could have swung the game, if so.

I thought that exact same thing. Have no idea why Trebek quickly said that it was right. Probably he wanted to move the game along since the contestant was playing the "stall the game" strategy once he got the second daily double.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Well I wonder if the TPTB will avoid casting boardies after this episode. Alex wore a t-shirt two sizes too big, stalled (though looked unintentional), and just looked all-around awkward.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

cf1140 wrote:Well I wonder if the TPTB will avoid casting boardies after this episode. Alex wore a t-shirt two sizes too big, stalled (though looked unintentional), and just looked all-around awkward.
And what about boardies Kerry and Kaya and Vaughan (just three recents that come to mind). He dressed as I assume Alex always dresses (or at least is comfortable, what TPTB tell you to wear) not because he's a boardie.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

nightreign wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Not surprised at all when Alex went TDD when he did, very much a poker player's move. Glad it paid off. Wondering what made you decide to go $4K on the second one?
http://justwager4000.co
^5
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'm loving the new champ for proving you can be an entertaining contestant even if you're not all upbeat and rah rah. I look forward to the film version where he will be played by Nicolas Cage.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

dhkendall wrote:
cf1140 wrote:Well I wonder if the TPTB will avoid casting boardies after this episode. Alex wore a t-shirt two sizes too big, stalled (though looked unintentional), and just looked all-around awkward.
And what about boardies Kerry and Kaya and Vaughan (just three recents that come to mind). He dressed as I assume Alex always dresses (or at least is comfortable, what TPTB tell you to wear) not because he's a boardie.
Alex was a boardie before he even got the audition. The ones you mentioned became boardies after they taped/got the audition/got the call.