Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), April 14, 2015

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), April 14, 2015

Post by Holocene Hero »

I guessed on about 10 questions, and they were all right. All of them. Three of them (matisse, bach, preposition) complete uneducated guesses. I got a 37. Hoh lee damn.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Mathew5000 wrote:"9. MYTHOLOGY | The Roman counterpart of Mars, in Greek myth he was the god of war"
I assume they want Ares here, but the clue is incorrectly worded. Isn't it?
I think they got it right. Mars is the Roman name and they wanted the Greek one.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

UniquePerspective wrote:To me that was the hardest Eastern test in the last 3 years.

Still pulled off a 32, which is kind of annoying that I'm right on the bubble of what Jeopardy wants 3 years running, but at least I didn't get 34 this year like the last two. Even if I got my one flip right (went Purple Heart instead of Medal of Honor), I still would have had 33, which is still better than 34.
I also wrote Purple Heart because I couldn't remember if the other one was the Congressional Medal of Honor or just Medal of Honor. Then I wrote "secondhand" instead of "hearsay" even though both words were stuck in my head. Whoops.

Also, is there any chance they accept "graphic" for "graphics" in the GIF/PNG question?
doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by doihavetoreally »

Mathew5000 wrote:"9. MYTHOLOGY | The Roman counterpart of Mars, in Greek myth he was the god of war"
This threw me off and I blanked :roll:
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Kid Charlemagne
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kid Charlemagne »

I count 45. My first thought was "dingo" but I had never heard that as slang for "cowardly" so switched to "jackal" instead. Oops.
Yes, there's gas in the car.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

Newhausen wrote:
UniquePerspective wrote:To me that was the hardest Eastern test in the last 3 years.

Still pulled off a 32, which is kind of annoying that I'm right on the bubble of what Jeopardy wants 3 years running, but at least I didn't get 34 this year like the last two. Even if I got my one flip right (went Purple Heart instead of Medal of Honor), I still would have had 33, which is still better than 34.
Also, is there any chance they accept "graphic" for "graphics" in the GIF/PNG question?
I hope so. They certainly don't have to based on the way they phrased it though, they were looking for the plural, but I put singular too.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

Newhausen wrote:

I also wrote Purple Heart because I couldn't remember if the other one was the Congressional Medal of Honor or just Medal of Honor. Then I wrote "secondhand" instead of "hearsay" even though both words were stuck in my head. Whoops.

I think it's certainly possible. I found at least one piece of information that has a single .PNG file being graphic instead of graphics. If that's not true I actually go down to 31.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

jjwaymee wrote:Not cool. I couldn't see the categories until about question 40 :o

Did this happen to anybody else?
The clue for Question 1 didn't display on my laptop. Questions 2-50. displayed just fine.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

UniquePerspective wrote:
Newhausen wrote:

I think it's certainly possible. I found at least one piece of information that has a single .PNG file being graphic instead of graphics. If that's not true I actually go down to 31.
Thanks. That question is the difference between 34 and 35 for me, so I'm praying they show some leniency.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Took it for fun off the J! Facebook page, and I think I did pretty good! Only clammed two (I know, I know!) - nos. 1 and 20, and made an educated guess on about 5 or so, but I'm waiting to see the answers, either here on on the J! Facebook page, before I will definitely state my unofficial score.

Of course, it only matters a) on my real test on Thursday, and b) if it results in an audition invite.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ten96lt
Valued Contributor

Post by ten96lt »

UniquePerspective wrote:
Newhausen wrote:

Considering they emphasize that this isn't a spelling test and that a computer is what grades these tests, I think it's more likely than not they will accept it without the s.
doihavetoreally

Magna wrote:
I think they got it right. Mars is the Roman name and they wanted the Greek one.
How? Roman counterpart of Mars makes no sense, as Mars is the Roman name. They could have just left it "in Greek myth he was the god of war"
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

Feel free to delete when the real posts go up. ANSWERS HERE!
Spoiler
1. Outlander
2. Scandal
3. ion
4. Cincinnati
5. hearsay
6. forum
7. Voltaire
8. Android
9. Ares
10. (Congressional) Medal of Honor
11. nomad
12. Danube
13. Buster Keaton
14. The Glass Menagerie
15. Stephen Douglas
16. obsidian
17. Henri Matisse
18. Greece
19. Jesus
20. Wild
21. rack
22. graphic(s)
23. As You Like It
24. Martha Stewart
25. Utah
26. Hozier
27. Howl
28. femur
29. jubilee
30. Bull Run
31. John Kerry
32. dystopia
33. Rosh Hashanah
34. dingo
35. Moby Dick
36. Tallinn
37. You Oughta Know
38. Koch
39. Bohr
40. JS Bach
41. crucify
42. Montana
43. Notre Dame
44. Gorbachev
45. Judy Blume
46. rib
47. sodium
48. X-Men
49. ISIS
50. preposition
Last edited by Lampy on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Fortunately I don't think it mattered that I couldn't see 80% of the categories. By my count I have about 41-42, depending on if "graphics" is acceptable. I did put "distopian" instead of "distopia" for question 32. It would have been nice to know that they were looking for an eight-letter word. :roll:
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

For question 30: I think they were looking for "Bull Run", but would "Manassas" also be an acceptable answer? Same battle, different name.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

dnbguy wrote:For question 30: I think they were looking for "Bull Run", but would "Manassas" also be an acceptable answer? Same battle, different name.
Definitely, both are commonly used.
runeatsleeprun
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by runeatsleeprun »

Based on what I can confirm, it seems like I got exactly 35 right! So excited and nervous! :shock:
doihavetoreally

sherder wrote:
That was quick! Thanks.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

35 on the dot, assuming "graphic" is accepted!

Art and Classical Music are usually 2 of my best categories, but I said Haydn for Bach and Duchamp for Matisse. I can't claim it was only pop culture and general knowledge that got me this time around.

I was happy to make educated lucky guesses on Utah, "You Oughta Know," and femur.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Assuming Lampy is correct (thank you!), I got 35 on the nose, thanks to some lucky guesses. I'll be sweating for sure! Last year was definitely better (and I still didn't get an audition, so who knows?).
Last edited by billiej on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.