Wednesday, April 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7058, 2015-04-29

Greg Seroka game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Sarah Negugogor, a user experience designer from Kirkland, Washington
Brian Fodera, a writer from Sherman Oaks, California
Greg Seroka, a chef from Steamboat Springs, Colorado (whose 4-day cash winnings total $108,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. We are now about halfway through our 34th season of Jeopardy! programs, and I cannot recall a time when we have had as contestants so many, for want of a better term, overachievers as players. Our champions are winning a lot of money, and many, many, many games. And that's been true this whole season. Brian and Sarah, I'm happy to welcome you aboard, but you're in some heavyweight company here against our champion, Greg. Nevertheless, good luck to all three as we move you into the first round of play, which is the Jeopardy! Round, and which today has these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE NEXT CHEMICAL ELEMENT ALPHABETICALLY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LIQUEURS (5/5)
THE ATHLETE WHO... (5/5)
"VO"CABULARY (5/5)
INDIANAPOLIS (5/5)
500 (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Greg: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Brian: 8 R, 1 W
Sarah: 5 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Greg: $4,000
Brian: $3,400
Sarah: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. You'll all have to forgive me. Obviously I was trying to pad our record a little bit when at the top the show I said we're in the middle of our 34th season. It's our 31st year on the air. Sarah Negugogor from Kirkland, Washington. Did I pronounce your last name correctly?

Sarah: It was very close. Yes.

Alex: You say it for me then.

Sarah: "nay-goo-GO-gore".

Alex: Negugogor.

Sarah: Yeah. Yeah. Interesting word.

Alex: Interesting... what?

Alex: So the origin is Basque, which people always wonder about.

Alex: Ah.

Sarah: Because, you know, it's one of those languages that's unrelated to any other, and so it's a very rare name.

Alex: Have you visited northern Spain to Basque country?

Sarah: Yes. We went for our honeymoon, and ate a lot.

Alex: Oh, ate a lot?

Sarah: Yeah.

Alex: Good food.

Sarah: Yes, very good.

Alex: Yes, indeed. All right.

Alex: Brian Fodera is a writer from Sherman oaks, California. But a writer only recently. You used to be an attorney?

Brian: That's right, I'm a recovering attorney, Alex.

Alex: Aha. Why did you give it up to become a writer?

Brian: You know, I had an--I have an idea for writing--something I wanted to write, and it was very hard to find the time to do that with the schedule I had as an attorney, and so I decided to take the plunge and see if this thing that's gestating in me can get out onto the page.

Alex: Yeah. Okay.

Alex: Greg Seroka is our champion. Wearing an interesting outfit today. It looks Germanic.

Greg: It's true. I got it in Salzburg.

Alex: Ah.

Greg: And I was just walking down the street by this tailor shop, and a loud, booming German voice said, "You! Come in here!" So I went into the tailor shop.

[Alex laughs]

Greg: And he pointed at this jacket and said, "This is for you". And I put it on, and it fit perfectly right off the peg, so I had to buy it at that point.

Alex: [German accent] "You will obey."

Greg: Yes.

Alex: Yes. [Normal voice] All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sarah found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Greg had $7,600, Brian had $4,000, and Sarah was at $2,600. Sarah wagered $2,000.

THE NEXT CHEMICAL ELEMENT ALPHABETICALLY $1000: After silicon
(Sarah: Mm... [Exhales sharply])
(Alex: Sarah?)
(Sarah: What is sodium?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE NEXT CHEMICAL ELEMENT ALPHABETICALLY $200: After platinum
(Greg: What is phosphorus?)
(Sarah: What is polonium?)

500 $1000: The S&P of the S&P 500 index stands for this; half of it sounds like something a businessman tries to avoid
(Greg: What is Standard's & Poor's?)
[Initially accepted as correct; reversed before Daily Double at clue 30.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Greg: $7,600
Brian: $4,000
Sarah: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LARGE & IN CHARGE (3/5)
AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY PERFERRED PLURALS (5/5)
OCCUPATIONS (4/5)
NICOLAS CAGE, YOU COMPLETE ME (5/5)
CAPES (3/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ELEMENTARY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Jonny Lee Miller as Holmes: Putting a new twist on classic tales as Sherlock Holmes, with my partner Joan Watson.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Greg: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Brian: 10 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Sarah: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Greg snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Greg had $16,800, Brian had $7,600, and Sarah was at $2,600. Greg wagered $8,000.

ELEMENTARY $1600: (Lucy Liu reads from the set of Elementary.) In a story, Holmes surprises Watson by revealing the existence of this brother & says he even "has better powers of observation than I"; when he turns up on "Elementary", sparks fly with Joan Watson
(Alex: [*] is the name of the brother.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Brian who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Greg had $28,400, Brian had $12,000, and Sarah was at $5,000. Brian wagered $4,000.

CAPES $1600: The boundary line between the South Atlantic & the South Pacific is the meridian of this cape
(Brian: What is... the Cape of Good Hope?)
(Alex: No. Wrong continent.)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OCCUPATIONS $1200: Sextons, or parish officers who keep order during services; meet the...

LARGE & IN CHARGE $1600: Tupou IV, king of this "friendly" South Pacific island nation from 1965 to 2006, tipped the scales at 440 pounds

LARGE & IN CHARGE $800: This Australian state didn't add an "H" to the last word in its name when the obese Sir George Reid was premier
(Alex: Less than a minute now, Brian.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Greg: $28,400 (lock game)
Brian: $8,000
Sarah: $5,000

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: Before we reveal the Final Jeopardy! clue, I want to take a moment to thank the stars of Elementary, Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu, for helping us out with that category on Sherlock Holmes. The category for final is CHAIN STORE NAMES IN THE NEWS, and, players, here's the clue for you...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHAIN STORE NAMES IN THE NEWS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Greg: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $12,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Brian: Wager $2,001 to cover Sarah.
Sarah: You have the hope of surpassing Brian for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $1,000 and $4,998.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 1917 first use of what became its name said this 2-word small room "called up the tube that the steamer... was torpedoed"

FINAL SCORES
Sarah: $5,000 - $5,000 = $0 (What is Boile.) (3rd place)
Brian: $8,000 - $3,000 = $5,000 (What is Hobby Lobby?) (2nd place)
Greg: $28,400 - $3,400 = $25,000 (What is ????) (108201-day champion: $25,000)
(Sarah: Sarah: It's supposed to be Boiler Room.)
(Alex: No, it's a company that's very much in the news these days because they announced they're going into bankruptcy.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Greg: $22,000, 25 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Brian: $12,000, 18 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Sarah: $7,000, 9 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $41,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Greg: 25/59 = .424
Brian: 18/59 = .305
Sarah: 9/59 = .153
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LIQUEURS $800: Here, Manet depicted a drinker of this liqueur, made from wormwood

"VO"CABULARY $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from the sound recording booth while femme fatale Kelly walks into frame in the studio.) Big in film noir, it's the sound technique we're using here

"I knew Kelly was trouble the minute she walked into the room."
(Alex: Yeah, and Kelly looks really mean there. That's unusual for her.)

"VO"CABULARY $1000: Adjective for a curvaceous woman or anything that gives sensual pleasure
(Alex: You are correct, and you enjoyed saying that word, didn't you, Brian?)
(Brian: A little bit, Alex.)

INDIANAPOLIS $200: Known as "Circle City", Indianapolis is laid out in a wheel pattern inspired by the pattern of this eastern U.S. city
(Brian: What is Boston?)

THE NEXT CHEMICAL ELEMENT ALPHABETICALLY $600: After zinc
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

ELEMENTARY $400: (Lucy Liu reads from the set of Elementary.) Like the original John Watson character, my character has this profession before she takes up with Sherlock Holmes

ELEMENTARY $800: (Jonny Lee Miller reads from the set of Elementary.) Conan Doyle's Holmes described him as "curiously reptilian" & "His two eyes are deeply sunken"; on "Elementary" Natalie Dormer provided a very different version of this villain

ELEMENTARY $1200: (Jonny Lee Miller reads from the set of Elementary.) Our Holmes on "Elementary" is recovering from his drug use; not so the original, who on the first page of "The Sign of Four" injects a 7% solution of this

ELEMENTARY $2000: (Lucy Liu reads from the set of Elementary.) On "Elementary" a detective who knew Holmes in London & turns up in New York is named for this original Scotland Yard man who Holmes says "is as tenacious as a bulldog"

OCCUPATIONS $2000: A jongleur was a medieval type of this musician/entertainer; Gilbert & Sullivan wrote of "A Wandering" one
(Greg: What is a--a juggler?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
silver
plutonium
Standard & Poor's
Mycroft
Cape Horn
beadles
Tonga
New South Wales
Radio Shack
absinthe
a voiceover
voluptuous
Washington, D.C.
zirconium
a doctor
Moriarty
cocaine
Lestrade
a minstrel
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Chain Store Names in the News
The 1917 first use of what became its name said this 2-word small room "called up the tube that the steamer...was torpedoed".

Spoiler
What is Radio Shack? Sarah was going for Boiler Room; Brian said Hobby Lobby; Greg had no guess.

Greg Seroka: $28,400-$3,400=$25,000...now a 5-day champion with $133,200
Brian Fodera: $8,000-$3,000=$5,000
Sarah Negugogor: $5,000-$5,000=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Good luck to Blackbird Boy(he was called that on Usenet alt.tv.game-shows, but not by me) Brian Fodera fifteen years after his first WWTBAM appearance(he did win $16K on a second chance week a year later)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I did not even understand the FJ answer, but I got it as soon as Alex said radio.

I did a lot better than expected in the elements.

Good solid job by Greg.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote:I did not even understand the FJ answer, but I got it as soon as Alex said radio.
Yeah, this.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I predict this will make the poll of "Toughest FJs" and poll low in the weekly poll.

I said "Piggly Wiggly" for a BWA attempt. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

What in the hell gibberish was this FJ?

I paused the DVR and reread it like five times and figured it was maybe Radio Shack. But oh boy what a gross clue.

I like Greg, go Greg.
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

Post by VoluptuousLoser »

Hi there. If you can't tell from my username, I'm tonight's runner-up. I'll write more about the experience later (once I've seen it air), but I thought I'd give you a little behind-the-scenes info off the top. All three contestants were completely flummoxed by the Final Jeopardy! clue, as you could probably see. Alex told us that the category was originally "Chain Store Names," and he told the writers to change it to "Chain Store Names In The News" because he thought the clue was too hard. I found the clue impenetrable. The quotation was confusing-- is this a quote I'm supposed to know?-- and I don't even remember it saying that the answer was two words (although my desperate answer of "Hobby Lobby" suggests that maybe I did see that).

In general, I was disappointed to lose, but it was going to be a tough one to win. Greg is a formidable champion, with a broad range of knowledge and a great feel for the buzzer and for gameplay strategy. His wager on the Sherlock Holmes Daily Double was outstanding, and just about the death blow. It's no accident that he's now at 5 wins and counting. This was also a board that was not up my alley. As a lifelong teetotaler, I knew I was in trouble when the first category to be played was "Liqueurs."

Aside from the general problem of not being faster on the signaling device, I made two critical mistakes without which I actually could have, and maybe should have, won the game despite being outplayed by a good margin. First, when I got the late Daily Double and had a chance to get out from under the runaway, I bet enough to ensure that, if I was right, I would have enough to stay alive into Final Jeopardy! regardless of how the remaining clues played out. I should have bet more-- say $10,000-- to put myself in a position to bet zero in Final Jeopardy! and win on a question that stumped Greg and me. The second critical mistake was, of course, getting the Daily Double question wrong! I was thrown by the wording of the question (for no good reason other than pressure) and spent too much of my time trying to figure out if it was asking for the Cape of Good Hope or Cape Horn. Then I panicked because I thought I was going to run out of time and gave the wrong answer of the two.

The elements category turned out to be easier than it seemed-- every answer started with the same two letters as the clue--but I didn't pick up on this until it was too late.

Oh, one other thing-- my comment about David Baldacci in the interview was a reference to clue from Monday's show (taped before the same audience) that was a triple-stumper (a quadruple-stumper, actually, since I didn't know it either).

Although I haven't posted before, I know many of you and appreciate the kind words and encouragement I have seen in threads here and on the LearnedLeague message board.

Yours In Voluptuousness,
FoderaB

P.S. By the way, I was ready to buzz with "Standard & Poor's" after Greg said "Standard's & Poor's," but Alex gave him credit. Even though they overturned the ruling later, it cost me $1,000 (which wouldn't have affected the outcome).
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

What the HELL was that FJ! clue?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

What the actual F%^$ was that clue? I couldn't even parse the clue in 30 seconds.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: New South Wales.

Oddly, Grand Marnier at $200 was the only Liqueur I'd NHO. (I knew chartreuse was a color since I was in 2nd grade, since it was a color in the Kmart brand 64 box of crayons, but didn't know what the word meant until much later.) I still went 0/5 in the category.

All but "voluptous" in "Vo"cabulary, which is rather odd for a perv like me. :P

NHO This American Life.

I hate, hate, HATE "Next alphabetically" categories, especially if you have to quickly weed through a huge pool like chemical elements. You gotta be inhumanly nimble to get them!

On top of that, I'm ALWAYS either going too far, or not far enough. "After Platinum… Pla, ple, pli, plo— nope, nothing begins with those. I doubt there's a Pm, so Pn? Nope. Po? Oh wait, time's up." "After Zinc? But there are no other Z chemical elements, are there? Trick question!"

For the Dth time, I completely forget that 500 has its own Roman numeral. WHY WON'T THOSE STICK IN MY BRAIN?!?

Ran American Heritage Plurals. I remembered opus/opera from this FJ! a long time ago, somehow.

Aw, no Wicker Man in the Nic Cage category? But you had Bees in the Occupation category! Opportunity wasted. (I knew Honeymoon in Vegas entirely because Dwight Yoakam's cover of "Suspicious Minds" was a chart hit from its soundtrack. If you can improve on what is already my favorite Elvis song, then you are clearly doing something right.)

I thought "Meet the beadles" was one of those TOMs that led only further away from, not closer to, the correct response. That was almost "Who do we expropriate?" bad.

I could've run that Elementary category with a few more seconds, as everything in it sounded totally familiar, but I went 0/5.

FJ! category had me happy since I'm a retail nerd. Precall was RadioShack. Small room that could "call up" something? Sweet, I love it when my precall is right, and I love it even more when I get a triple-stumper right. But both at once? THAT is rare as all hell. Good job, Hammer.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

But them mentioning the "two word phrase" in 1917 had nothing to do with the company, right? That's some serious weirdness going on in that clue. I put together it was something to do with radio but couldn't think of a company that had anything to DO with radio in the news. As plain as the nose on my face, I suppose ...
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I told my girlfriend that I wouldn't buzz in on S&P because I wasn't sure which words were pluralized, and my prediction proved correct.

Drew a blank on Final, but was able to make a correct guess after Alex's comment.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations, Greg, on yet another great win! I had 35 correct responses including the triple stumper of plutonium. I also got the missed DD of silver. I got FJ a few seconds after Alex finished reading the clue.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

30 right/2 wrong. Swept athletes, and 4/5 on plurals, and "vo"cab. At least on the J! round DD, I misinterpreted the category and thought they wanted the element with the next symbol alphabetically, so I said tin (Sn) - which would still have been wrong, as samarium (Sm) is next after silicon (Si).

That was a heck of a curveball on Final; I was dead certain it'd be Hobby Lobby, and when it wasn't, I had nothing else.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

That's a Final that should have never made it after playtesting.

In a way, I'm glad it was a runaway, because I would have been upset if the game had been decided by such a terrible clue.
Last edited by CrunchyTaco on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

VoluptuousLoser wrote:Hi there. If you can't tell from my username, I'm tonight's runner-up.
Welcome aboard! Hope you stick around... and remember, even with the loss, remember a) you were playing against a steamroller and b) you made it to a place that tens of thousands try to get to each year and fail.

As to tonight's game, Greg was untouchable, and I had to say he was rockin' that jacket.

My mind works in weird, twisted ways, which is why tonight's FJ was an Instaget for me. But having said that, I'd say it was as difficult as previous FJ clues (Rolling Stone tune for popular chain restaurant? Pravda first using the phrase politically correct? Oy).

Looking forward to tomorrow's game.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

That Final Jeopardy clue should have gone the way of, well Radio Shack. What a mess.

Entertaining game otherwise. The final DD wager was interesting. 4k takes him out of the running with a wrong answer anyway, may as well put a lot more in. But at least enough was wagered to, if he was right, to guarantee him a shot.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

I was able to come up with the answer at home, but I doubt I would have pulled it out in Culver City.