Monday, May 4, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Monday, May 4, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

Plactus wrote:
cosmos wrote:Why do pictures of forever stamps have a slash through them?
So that an enterprising person with a good printer can't take a hi-def screenshot and print their own stamps, perhaps.
Would seem like an awful lot of trouble to save a few bucks on postage. And couldn't they do that with stamps they bought?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
Plactus wrote:
cosmos wrote:Why do pictures of forever stamps have a slash through them?
So that an enterprising person with a good printer can't take a hi-def screenshot and print their own stamps, perhaps.
Would seem like an awful lot of trouble to save a few bucks on postage. And couldn't they do that with stamps they bought?
I believe it's also federal law (which, we all know, doesn't have to make sense).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

mxc_takeshi wrote:Lach Trash: "Aunt Polly", "Georgia O'Keeffe", "Jackson Pollock" (didn't know it was his artwork, but I know he shows up a lot in art categories)
I got the same Lach Trash. There might be more - just can't remember.

I precalled WWF, Greenpeace, or Audobon, and when the clue had something to do with birds, I instantly went with Audobon. (Not sure if focusing on three possible responses can be considered a precall, but whatever it is, that's what I did.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I wonder if they would have accepted something other than "Society", like "Club" or "Group" or something. I'm guessing they wouldn't (and they shouldn't have), but they did dodge a bullet that no one made that screw-up. That would have roused the rabble.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Superchamp moniker is overrated at six wins

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Category 13 wrote:Just think how many Five-Time Champs from the first 20 seasons could have won one just one more game. And it's just going to get more and more deluted as time goes on.
A fair amount, but not as many as you might think. Of the 66 players who have won at five games in the superchamp era, less than half (31) won their sixth game, and less than a quarter (16) went on to win a seventh. And I'm not sure why you think the pool is getting diluted. It's not as if we're experiencing a glut of really long runs.
Sprinkles are for winners.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

ALex had an event on May 4th: CLassic COncentration debuted on 5/4/87
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote:I wonder if they would have accepted something other than "Society", like "Club" or "Group" or something. I'm guessing they wouldn't (and they shouldn't have), but they did dodge a bullet that no one made that screw-up. That would have roused the rabble.
Arguably they shouldn't have accepted Audubon Society, since there were state societies before 1905.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

davey wrote:
alietr wrote:I wonder if they would have accepted something other than "Society", like "Club" or "Group" or something. I'm guessing they wouldn't (and they shouldn't have), but they did dodge a bullet that no one made that screw-up. That would have roused the rabble.
Arguably they shouldn't have accepted Audubon Society, since there were state societies before 1905.
There were several affiliated organizations, so they might have accepted "association" or something similar.

I see from Wikipedia that the original members had to sign a pledge to "not molest birds."
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

If it isn't already a term, I'll be the first to use it:

FJ was an instaguess.

Didn't know it, but guessed the correct response immediately and wrote it down while using the rest of the time to think of something I liked better.

Glad I didn't come up with something I liked better.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Re: Superchamp moniker is overrated at six wins

Post by Vermonter »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Just think how many Five-Time Champs from the first 20 seasons could have won one just one more game. And it's just going to get more and more deluted as time goes on.
A fair amount, but not as many as you might think. Of the 66 players who have won at five games in the superchamp era, less than half (31) won their sixth game, and less than a quarter (16) went on to win a seventh. And I'm not sure why you think the pool is getting diluted. It's not as if we're experiencing a glut of really long runs.
I ran these numbers for my TOC prediction post back in March, but one strange aspect has continued: 4-timers are incredibly good at winning their fifth game. At the time, they were at 62.8%; since then, they've gone 4-0, bringing that up to 64.4%.

That's a huge jump over 3xers winning their fourth game (back then, 48.3%), and over 5xers winning a sixth (43.5%).

Any guesses why that might be? I'm stumped, really.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
davey

Post by davey »

triviawayne wrote:If it isn't already a term, I'll be the first to use it:

FJ was an instaguess.

Didn't know it, but guessed the correct response immediately and wrote it down while using the rest of the time to think of something I liked better.

Glad I didn't come up with something I liked better.

First use (apparently) on this forum - November 16, 2011, by our old friend Paucle... :cry:
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

To me a superchamp is anyone who wins six or more games. Because for the first 19 seasons they had the 5 win limit, so anyone who passes five wins since the limit has been lifted is known as a superchamp. If we had to come up with a term for 10+ game winners, then I dunno. Megachamp?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

JayK33 wrote:To me a superchamp is anyone who wins six or more games. Because for the first 19 seasons they had the 5 win limit, so anyone who passes five wins since the limit has been lifted is known as a superchamp. If we had to come up with a term for 10+ game winners, then I dunno. Megachamp?
Überchamp!
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

teapot37 wrote:Hmm, maybe I was alone in thinking the Audubon Society was older than that, so I went with the World Wildlife Fund.

You were not alone. I also thought that and went with Ducks Unlimited.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote:
JayK33 wrote:To me a superchamp is anyone who wins six or more games. Because for the first 19 seasons they had the 5 win limit, so anyone who passes five wins since the limit has been lifted is known as a superchamp. If we had to come up with a term for 10+ game winners, then I dunno. Megachamp?
Überchamp!
Oooo! Look at you and your fancy umlauts!