2014-2016 Tournament of Champions Standings (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2015 Tournament of Champions Standings

Post by Austin Powers »

I tend to think a future TOC should have Hardee, assuming they can't enough five time winners, which is very possible given the show's recent trend of bizarre questions coupled with a generally unremarkable group of competitors. Hardee actually had some pretty nice gets.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Sherm wrote:
Vermonter wrote:I heard from a staffer at the TOC taping that the cut-off was 10/10 – the first game of Shane Curtis. Invites went out after that taping session. All hearsay, of course…
I think they would have a hard time excluding Catherine Hardee, saying she was considered for the last tourny, if they include a 4 game winner under $95,000. I would think Molly Lalonde has to be considered for the next tourny.
The system is unfair in one direction for some players (Molly Lalonde), unfair in the other for others (Michael Falk). TPTB don't care as long as they can field a competitive group.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Paul Glaser lost his sixth game in the last game before the 2007 ToC started airing, and then played in that ToC. I just find it hard to believe that TPTB would use any cutoff other than the air dates.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

StevenH wrote:Paul Glaser lost his sixth game in the last game before the 2007 ToC started airing, and then played in that ToC. I just find it hard to believe that TPTB would use any cutoff other than the air dates.
They sent out invites after the first four weeks of tapings, probably because some of the longer-tenured contestants (Joshua Brakhage, for example) had been sitting around for much longer than normal due to BOTD.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

With the 2009 ToC they cut it off two or three weeks before the last game to air before the tournament (i.e. the last game to tape before the tourney's taping), because the taping date was fixed by when the CES was held that year (that's also why they bumped Joey Beachum to the next one since he had military obligations at taping time and the taping itself couldn't be rescheduled).

Also remember that until 1994 each ToC's qualifying period was the previous season, so any qualifier whose games aired early in the season did not appear until the next season's tournament.

It's not unprecedented that a cutoff date for a ToC earlier than the last game to air prior to the tourney be used - although since the 1994 rule change it'd usually be because of when they sent out invites (as what happened this year) or an immovable taping date for the ToC (as what happened in 2009).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Vermonter wrote:I heard from a staffer at the TOC taping that the cut-off was 10/10 – the first game of Shane Curtis. Invites went out after that taping session. All hearsay, of course…
Thank you for sharing this piece of information.

If Catherine Hardee would have won her fifth game (or Bill Cossen won two more) then Mark Japinga would have been the alternate only.

We can count Shane Curtis and Alexander Persaud as clearly on the list for 2016.

Bill Cossen and Catherine Hardee had a chance to qualify for the November 2014 TOC and did not make it. Is it possible since their runs began in S31, but before the cutoff period that they can still be considered eligible for 2016? We have nothing definitive at this point to rule them out although that would seem to have a taste of double-dipping.

Catherine Hardee especially had TOC-worthy qualities to her play, so I would like to think the powers could include her if the field works out for her wins and money to fit in by the next TOC.

I would think any possibility of Molly Lalonde being in play for the 2016 tourney is living in Fantasyland as that makes no sense to me.

Jerry Slowik as a possible inclusion for 2016? I'm thinking 0-2.5% chances even if he is cleared of all charges although we can put him in the bullpen with Bamaman's idea of an asterisk that also works for Bill and Catherine.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Sherm wrote:I think they would have a hard time excluding Catherine Hardee, saying she was considered for the last tourny, if they include a 4 game winner under $95,000. I would think Molly Lalonde has to be considered for the next tourny.
Should I describe Ramsey Campbell again?
econgator wrote: 1) I don't know this for certain, but I;d be a lot of money that they have a clause that allows them to exclude anyone for any reason they wish.
The paperwork I signed definitely said 5 wins wasn't a guarantee of a ToC invite.
TheGrandPiano
Very Official Member

Post by TheGrandPiano »

Just a friendly reminder that there is still an updated list with all of the 3-time + winning contestants post the Season 29 Tournament of Champions in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1213
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

The fact that two TOCers received their TOC info before the end of S30 suggests that Hardee is likely to be in consideration for the 2016 TOC, because, although Slowik made things more complicated, several ToCers reported receiving information packets for the ToC before S31 even started taping. The one thing is, possibly they did that like they did the '01 ToC, accepting the first 5x-ers if they were to be overbooked, and they decided to allow any later 5xers after Slowik was out. That would still not allow anyone who was originally in to get snubbed. Very excited to watch the ToC!
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I feel like, with the upcoming ToC, with each person I'm either rooting for them or I never watched their games. Anyone could win and I'd be happy.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

countyguy wrote:The fact that two TOCers received their TOC info before the end of S30 suggests that Hardee is likely to be in consideration for the 2016 TOC, because, although Slowik made things more complicated, several ToCers reported receiving information packets for the ToC before S31 even started taping. The one thing is, possibly they did that like they did the '01 ToC, accepting the first 5x-ers if they were to be overbooked, and they decided to allow any later 5xers after Slowik was out. That would still not allow anyone who was originally in to get snubbed. Very excited to watch the ToC!
seaborgium wrote: Should I describe Ramsey Campbell again?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

countyguy wrote:The fact that two TOCers received their TOC info before the end of S30 ...
I have been looking through JBoard here, and I cannot find any evidence that that is fact. Could you point me to some corroborating posts?

Without any other evidence, I would be more inclined to believe the following:
Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

bpmod wrote:
countyguy wrote:The fact that two TOCers received their TOC info before the end of S30 ...
I have been looking through JBoard here, and I cannot find any evidence that that is fact. Could you point me to some corroborating posts?

Without any other evidence, I would be more inclined to believe the following:
Brian
The post I was referring to is this.
The Talking Mime

Re: 2014-2016 Tournament of Champions Standings (SPOILERS)

Post by The Talking Mime »

Figured I'd bump this since the standings need to be updated a little bit.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

The Talking Mime wrote:Figured I'd bump this since the standings need to be updated a little bit.
The standings, as compiled by Vermonter (based on his info re: the cutoff for the last ToC), are visible throughout TFW, as is his projection of the field, which was computed on March 9.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I am pretty positive that those included on the leaderboard who played before the ToC aired are no longer in the running. As far as I always knew, the ToC field is wiped completely clean after the ToC airs.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

JayK33 wrote:I am pretty positive that those included on the leaderboard who played before the ToC aired are no longer in the running. As far as I always knew, the ToC field is wiped completely clean after the ToC airs.
Not so before 1994; the ToCs until then always comprised players from the previous season. (So, for example, Chuck Forrest won his fifth game in October 1985 and played in the ToC in November '86.) But I mostly agree with you.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Yes, with 5 time champs there is an exception. Mark Dawson won his five games before Rutter's ToC but since he was a 5 time champ he was held over for the following ToC. So in that case, as I said, it would be an exception. But Catherine and Bill didn't make the five win limit so they're done for.
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan »

Bumping for the addition of Greg to the list.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

I had an idea recently. What if ToC berths were automatically awarded to 5-time winners? And whenever they got to 15 (including tournament winners) they'd round 'em all up and tape that shit.