Thursday, May 7, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, May 7, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by legendneverdies »

Bamaman wrote:
Do they switch out the audience in between the morning and afternoon tapings? I know Alex likes to pretend we think they only tape one game a day, but I wondered if his comment about a new audience was related to that.

THey tape three shows, then the staff and players' lunch break, then two more shows. THey bring in mostly or wholly new audience members during the lunch break, between the third and fourth shows of the tape day. Most game shows taping five shows a day do this.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got FJ, but I agree that it wasn't a great clue. "Clark" was the first part of the clue that I focused on, but that got me nowhere. Then I focused on "bear," made the leap to cub, and felt pretty good about my answer.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

xxaaaxx wrote:For a sports fan like me, bear + over 100 years old (MLB is the only league that old) was a slam dunk. For others, yikes. If you don't make the immediate bear-->cub leap, you're probably stuck following 'Clark' down all sorts of dead ends.
Same logic here. The name of the bear didn't even register. Old team + Bear = Cubs. It was further confirmed because I think of the Cubs as a more traditional team that wouldn't have has a mascot. When the Red Sox first got a mascot in 1997, there were a lot of fans who were angry and hated it. He's grown on us though.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This was a weird FJ clue, I thought. I had Cubs right away, but it really seemed too obvious, and I was struggling to think of any other team for which the name Clark might be significant. Putting the name of the bear in there seems like a flashing light that it has meaning and should lead to the correct answer, but in this case, unless you have local Chicago knowledge, it was just a red herring. I don't really blame anyone for not getting this one, because despite Cubs seeming glaringly obvious, I really wanted to find a better answer, but came up empty. Sometimes it just is the Cubs. We should definitely poll to see how many people answered Bears, considering the word was in the clue.

Looking at this site, you can see that the Cubs have used Bears in logos and pennants basically all through the years, I guess they just never had one as their "official" mascot.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Lach Trash: UCLA (DD), septic, Belgium (DD)

Got FJ. :)

I think that the key to FJ was to remember that the NFL and NBA were not around 100 years ago. Bruins in hockey wasn't a half bad guess.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

This was arguably the hardest episode since the single-player final on March 12. I got 24/57, including all the Daily Doubles, and a Coryat of $15800. Usually I average about 33 correct with a mid-20's Coryat. FJ probably wouldn't have been a triple stumper without the extraneous addition of "Clark"... somehow I came up with Cubs at the last moment.
Hoping for a third lap
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Bamaman wrote:
Do they switch out the audience in between the morning and afternoon tapings? I know Alex likes to pretend we think they only tape one game a day, but I wondered if his comment about a new audience was related to that.
They do.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Ah, sorry to see The Mustache go... he was a stellar player.

My inner SF geek groaned at the triple-miss for Robert Heinlein.

FJ... ah. I said the Boston Bruins, my wife said the Chicago Bears, and we wuz were both wrong. :-)
Last edited by BADuBois on Thu May 07, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BADuBois wrote:my wife said the Chicago Cubs, and we wuz were both wrong. :-)
Ummmmmmm ....
Awal
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Awal »

I am not one to complain (generally) about FJ betting, but this was the poster child for a sub-optimal bet.

Scott had to bet enough to cover him in case he bet it all, which was more than the amount that separated them prior to FJ.
Third place didn't have enough to beat him, even if she bet it all.

$0 was the obvious, optimal bet, and he's a little lucky to have won.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I remembered hearing about the weirdly pants-less mascot when it was announced a while back. If I hadn't, I know Clark/Addison = Wrigley.

Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Golf

Post by Golf »

No surprise a sports question is a triple stumper.

Quick, name a pro sports team that's over 100 years old. Of those few how many are associated with bears? As usual, many people focused on the wrong part of the clue. Clark was irrelevant.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

The Chicago Bears was the first thing that popped into my head for FJ, but since "bear" was in the clue, I figured that was too obvious. Made the leap to the Cubs and stuck with it. I figured they were going for a pro team since many college teams probably weren't around 100 years ago.

Looks like Scott and his mustache won't be going to the ToC like he predicted, but he's still had a good run and should be proud of his success.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

The Talking Mime wrote:The Chicago Bears was the first thing that popped into my head for FJ, but since "bear" was in the clue, I figured that was too obvious. Made the leap to the Cubs and stuck with it. I figured they were going for a pro team since many college teams probably weren't around 100 years ago.

Looks like Scott and his mustache won't be going to the ToC like he predicted, but he's still had a good run and should be proud of his success.
If you're talking about the major college sports of football and basketball, most college teams have been around way longer than the pro teams in the same sports. However, the word "pro" was in the clue, so that was a much better reason to exclude college teams from your thinking.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

econgator wrote:
BADuBois wrote:my wife said the Chicago Cubs, and we wuz were both wrong. :-)
Ummmmmmm ....
D'oh. Thanks for pointing this out. She said Chicago *Bears*. Fixed. D'oh once more.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Am I the only who thought Scott is reminiscent of Guy Fawkes?
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Bonus clue: These three MLB teams do not have a mascot.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I spent the first 20 seconds thinking Chicago Bears but not very sure & then when I remembered Clark Street was where Wrigley is, I then made the bear cub connection. This seemed like an easy contest today except for that abbreviated month category. I'll miss Scott; he seemed sharp.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

A little surprised that was a TS in FJ. As has been said, if you're taking pro sports team, you're probably talking about the four majors on Jeopardy. You can safely remove the NBA as an option, and probably the NHL (the Bruins date back to 1924, which is probably "almost 100" if you take it as them having one the first year and ditching), and probably the NFL too (the Bears date back to the 20's as well but it seems unlikely). If you limit it to the MLB, there are only so many teams that date back to the 1910's, and the Cubs come pretty easily from there.

The Bears and Bruins guesses were fine but even not being aware of Clark or the Chicago connection there, it seemed like a pretty easy path. Oh well.

I thought Cage the Elephant was a pretty obscure clue for Jeopardy on the $800 clue. They got it of course, but it barely tipped the Hot 100 and the band hasn't done anything as big since.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Fishercat wrote:I thought Cage the Elephant was a pretty obscure clue for Jeopardy on the $800 clue. They got it of course, but it barely tipped the Hot 100 and the band hasn't done anything as big since.
I didn't get it, but I at least knew who Cage the Elephant was because their producer, Jay Joyce, is now primarily a country producer, and I found the name when gathering sources to build a Wikipedia article on him.

Joyce is an excellent producer, by the way. He produced the song I just linked to in the TPH Education thread.