Friday, January 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Friday, January 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Paucle »

ANCIENT WEIGHTS AND MEASURES
THE HEBREW WORD FOR THIS
BIBLICAL UNIT OF MEASUREMENT
IS AMMAH, APTLY MEANING
"ELBOW" OR "FOREARM"
Spoiler
Molly: 6800-6000 (no answer) = 800
Dave: 9400+5001 = 14001
Dan: 14400+4401=18801
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

dhkendall wrote:"Cubit" was the only Biblical measurement I thought they'd ask about, but I always thought "cubit" *was* the Hebrew name (not "ammah" or whatever was in the clue), otherwise, why would we call it "cubit"? Perhaps someone more wise than I could explain.
From something more wise than I (the online OED via Wikipedia):
  • The English word 'cubit' comes from Latin cubitum 'elbow', from the verb cubāre, -cumbĕre 'to lie down'; cf. 'recumbent'.
BigDaddyJ
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BigDaddyJ »

a1srvng wrote:If one guy beats the system by shortcutting the answers and avoiding the risk of giving a normal response, that is good for one guy.
I fail to see how following the rules of the game and heeding the recommendations of the contestant coordinators is "beating the system".
You'd think these guys might think about the whole concept and purpose of the game, entertainment, while they're contesting and attempt to win without hedging a response and letting Alex fill it in.
Where did you get the idea that the contestants have some duty to entertain you? They're there to play the game to the best of their ability. As it happens, most of us find that to be plenty entertaining.

Instaget FJ. Congrats on a great run, Dave!
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

dhkendall wrote:I was somewhat disappointed that it was an FJ and not a regular clue so I couldn't say "What's a cubit?" in a Bill Cosby impression.
And if Alex were quick, he'd respond: "Riiiight."

Excellent run, Dave! It was a pleasure to play along with you from the home podium.

Now, not to go all geek on y'all, but the last time a six-time champ with a shade under $100K in winnings beat another superchamp, nobody else won six games for more than a year...
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

a1srvng wrote:Well, I see clever old Dave was again up to his old tricks of responding to obvious answers with the last name only. This time, however, it bit him (righteously!) in the tush. "Nelson" is NOT "Babyface Nelson". Headline: JEOPARDY CONTESTANT OUTSMARTS SELF
If one guy beats the system by shortcutting the answers and avoiding the risk of giving a normal response, that is good for one guy. It cheats millions of fans who might not know the answer right away, but were loyal enough to tune in and maybe learn something. You'd think these guys might think about the whole concept and purpose of the game, entertainment, while they're contesting and attempt to win without hedging a response and letting Alex fill it in.
Those two kids(kids, for cryin' out loud!) knew the score. In the "Actor/Director" category, they were game enough to answer (correctly) with first and last name. Dave? "DeVito"
Goodbye Dave.
I guess you must have overlooked the numerous replies from people after your last comment. Many of them pointed out that the contestant coordinators even tell the contestants that they should respond with the last name only if it is clear what person is being referred to. Oh well, I would tell you to seek help, but I sense that the advice would go unnoticed. At least we didn't have to hear about Dave being a "little guy" again, whatever on earth that means.

As for you Dave, if you've taken enough time out from your plot for world domination to read this far, I hope you're happy with your dastardly deeds. Truly not even the most devious of Bond villains would stoop so low as to give only a last name as a response to a Jeopardy! clue. Whatever your evil master plan is, I hope 007 makes it blow up right in your stupid face.

You certainly do have quite the fan club over at Television Without Pity. Tonight's gem: "I've never wanted to punch a contestant in the face (well, since Roger) the way I want to punch Dave." That is truly high praise, and hopefully for your sake Dave it means that you're going to be a quarter of a million dollars richer sometime in 2013.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm hoping the contestant from Baton Rouge coming in third is an omen for Monday night.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When the FJ clue was revealed I knew two things. One, Dave was done since there was no way Joel Osteen could not know it. Two, I knew there would have to be precallers on the correct response.

Dave had his chance at a tank tie. Instead he went for the outright and L'Amour got him. Dave, congrats on a fine run and good luck in the TOC. The small sampling of the J! viewers I work with enjoyed your stay and your obvious joy at playing. We all had a good laugh today about the ease of solving last night's FJ clue. Before the boss this afternoon left I told her perhaps tonight's FJ clue would be about her wheelhouse, the Beatles. It was just a regular clue, but I can only imagine her reaction to the Sir Paul, I mean, James DD.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

He did not have to tank the DD to get a lock tie. A $4,700 bet gives him the lead if he is right and the lock tie if wrong. I'd have had the lock tie, as I said Zane Grey.

If you had been a lock tie leader over a six day champ, would you have had the guts to bet more than zero, given the category, if you were pretty certain what it would be about?
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Dave didn't remember a misspelling of McMurtry's name by Jennifer in FJ! in his first game(McMurty) won him his first game. If he'd have remembered that, he'd have thought that McMurtry wouldn't be used twice as a response in seven games most likely. Zane Grey died in the 1930s, before LA traffic became as congested as it was in the 1980s, when L'Amour died.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

SkoolRN wrote:
Bamaman wrote:After his DD bet the other day, I was expecting a bet of $4,700 on that last DD, it would have put him in another lock tie situation.

For perhaps the first time ever, I correctly precalled FJ.
Same here. Cubit was the first and only biblical measurement that came to mind, thanks to the classic Bill Cosby Noah routine.
I WONDERED if anyone else might be thinking of that!! That was a riot, back in the day when Cos was best known for stand-up, night-club routines, etc.

(P.S. How long can YOU tread water?)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

dhkendall wrote:
SkoolRN wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Great wagering strategy, Dave. So many times second place overwagers, but this was the best wager in your situation. I agree that there are several haters out there for lots of things about you, but I haven't seen anyone hate on your wagering style yet. Way to represent for Davedom, you're inspiring. :)
Some here have suggested it would be safer or wiser to bet $4700 on the last-clue DD, tank, then go into FJ in a lock-tie. Could be safer or wiser, but going for the tie instead was counting on himself to answer the DD correctly, and allowing for the possibility of going into FJ tied, with the promise of another co-champion scenario and a larger payoff for both. I respect Dave for having the guts to bet on himself.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

And I will go on record as saying that you totally got tooled on the Baby Face Nelson clue. Definitely should have at least gotten a BMS. I can see their point, but it does brush up against the last name only rule. You must have been laughing at the guy complaining about that a few days ago knowing what was coming up.
TheGrandPiano
Very Official Member

Post by TheGrandPiano »

Well, Dave, many thanks and congratulations for a great week. I really hope that they pit you and Jason against each other again in the ToC. That would be a great rematch. You were a breath of fresh air. My mom, in all of her years of watching Jeopardy, has declared you her very favorite contestant. She loved watching you and was sad to see you leave. We'll see you soon enough again, though, and I'd like to see you win it all. Bravo.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TheGrandPiano wrote:Well, Dave, many thanks and congratulations for a great week. I really hope that they pit you and Jason against each other again in the ToC. That would be a great rematch. You were a breath of fresh air. My mom, in all of her years of watching Jeopardy, has declared you her very favorite contestant. She loved watching you and was sad to see you leave. We'll see you soon enough again, though, and I'd like to see you win it all. Bravo.
I don't think they'd schedule them together in the QF because of that. If they were to face each other, I think it'd be the Finals, the only level where scheduling is out of their hands.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

dave, congrats on a great run. you've been terrifically fun to watch and i love it when the contestants are obviously enjoying themselves! $100k in winnings isn't bad either. :) good luck in the ToC!
Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by Wimple »

alietr wrote:And I will go on record as saying that you totally got tooled on the Baby Face Nelson clue. Definitely should have at least gotten a BMS. I can see their point, but it does brush up against the last name only rule. You must have been laughing at the guy complaining about that a few days ago knowing what was coming up.
I would agree with this but for the fact that "baby" was in quotes and so has to appear in the answer.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

Congrats on a good run Dave and on being a cancer survivor. One big atta boy to myself for having pre-guessed cubit. I actually used this form of measuring at my workplace.Two cubits and a span were just enough room for two full rows of product! But I digress.
Le Flaneur
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

HugoZ wrote:
  • The English word 'cubit' comes from Latin cubitum 'elbow', from the verb cubāre, -cumbĕre 'to lie down'; cf. 'recumbent'.
Very interesting word-origins insight - thx for posting it!

And I'll add concubine (with lie) and incubator (within lie) as also sharing that root.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

John Boy wrote: Some here have suggested it would be safer or wiser to bet $4700 on the last-clue DD, tank, then go into FJ in a lock-tie. Could be safer or wiser, but going for the tie instead was counting on himself to answer the DD correctly, and allowing for the possibility of going into FJ tied, with the promise of another co-champion scenario and a larger payoff for both. I respect Dave for having the guts to bet on himself.
Nobody is suggesting that Dave should have tanked the DD on a $4700 bet. We are suggesting that he should have bet $4700 rather than $2500 and *still tried to get it right*.

Betting $4700 and getting it correct is better than betting $2500 and getting it correct.
Betting $4700 and getting it wrong is better than betting $2500 and getting it wrong.

Therefore betting $4700 is better than betting $2500, whether or not you are confident in yourself.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Wimple wrote:
alietr wrote:And I will go on record as saying that you totally got tooled on the Baby Face Nelson clue. Definitely should have at least gotten a BMS. I can see their point, but it does brush up against the last name only rule. You must have been laughing at the guy complaining about that a few days ago knowing what was coming up.
I would agree with this but for the fact that "baby" was in quotes and so has to appear in the answer.
Yes. I would not think that Nelson should have been BMSed for that reason. When the category has quotes, or the clue asks for a first name, responding with just a last name should be immediately negged (either that or a pause, like Alex usually does in the case of improper phrasing).

I am not sure about precedent in those cases though. I'll bet somebody can enlighten us.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.