Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by bpmod »

John Boy wrote:
moneya wrote:I just got an invite for June 6 in Boston. Does anyone know how possible it is to reschedule? I have a conflict which I can potentially work around, but was curious if others have had luck trying for different dates.
Contact them and let them know you can't make it, but a very nice fellow in Cleveland named John Boy passed the test and would be DELIGHTED to take your place.
They'll most certainly say "Cleveland!?! Forget it!"

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeophopeful
Contributor

Post by jeophopeful »

hoping for atlanta audition, hit 35 on the dot.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

moneya wrote:I just got an invite for June 6 in Boston. Does anyone know how possible it is to reschedule? I have a conflict which I can potentially work around, but was curious if others have had luck trying for different dates.
I had to reschedule my last audition for an entirely different city and it worked out just fine. The CC's will accommodate you if they can.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

alamble wrote:I had to reschedule my last audition for an entirely different city and it worked out just fine. The CC's will accommodate you if they can.
A couple of years ago, I couldn't make the scheduled tryout in Cleveland (9 hours away), and the CCs allowed me to join the special tryout in Cincinnati (4.5 hours away) later that year.
EJVA
Contributor

Post by EJVA »

It is incredibly humane of TPTB to accommodate people who can't make the audition they are invited to. It would be easier for them to just kiss you off and pull the next random person from the list of those who passed the test. As disappointing as it is to believe you passed the test but did not receive an invitation, imagine how much worse it would feel if you had to miss the audition because of a schedule conflict.
akrites
Valued Contributor

Post by akrites »

EJVA wrote:It is incredibly humane of TPTB to accommodate people who can't make the audition they are invited to. It would be easier for them to just kiss you off and pull the next random person from the list of those who passed the test. As disappointing as it is to believe you passed the test but did not receive an invitation, imagine how much worse it would feel if you had to miss the audition because of a schedule conflict.

The year that I had a conflict, they wouldn't let me reschedule.
EJVA
Contributor

Post by EJVA »

Since there were no audition cities near where I live I signed up for LA, where I have family and visit regularly. Even though the pool of test-takers there is sure to be huge, I thought they might have auditions throughout the year rather than a single visit. Does anyone know if that is the case? If so, there is the advantage of keeping my hopes up for an invite, at least until the next test comes around!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

EJVA wrote:Since there were no audition cities near where I live I signed up for LA, where I have family and visit regularly. Even though the pool of test-takers there is sure to be huge, I thought they might have auditions throughout the year rather than a single visit. Does anyone know if that is the case? If so, there is the advantage of keeping my hopes up for an invite, at least until the next test comes around!
In the pre-online test days, they did have L.A. auditions about once a month. However, from what I can tell, they now only do them in L.A. once or twice a year.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

akrites wrote:The year that I had a conflict, they wouldn't let me reschedule.
Considering the other stories here, I would suspect that has more to do with other dates just not being available when they received your request to reschedule.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

With the online test behind us and auditions ongoing, this seemed like a good time to remind everyone of the live "JEOPARDY! AUDITION PROCESS" webinar that I did last year with 7-day champ and Battle Of the Decades contender Stephanie Jass -- a.k.a. Dr. J on JBoard -- and which is still available on replay.

Everything.... EVERYTHING.... you ever wanted to know about the audition process and how to prepare for your own audition is covered.

It's FREE if you sign up to view it here: http://www.jeopardyaudition.com, and it will always remain available and free to the JBoard community. There's also a handout link on the webinar page. (The webinar runs best in a computer browser and doesn't require any additional software downloads.)

Any questions, you can always contact me either here (PM or in the thread) or at Randy@GetOnJeopardy.com

If you like what you see and hear, or if you've already viewed it, then a short written or video testimonial will be forever appreciated. :D :D :D
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

When I passed the 2013 test, I was in Thailand when I got the audition invite and would be in the middle of my semester teaching in China during the actual audition. When I emailed them about the conflict, they told me to email them with the dates that I would be back stateside and they'd see if they could get another audition worked out for me. The date they then gave me, and the only audition that summer? The day before I was to fly back to China at the end of the summer, in a city 10 hours from where I was. So they will work with you, I just hope for your sake the rescheduling works out, too!
gnuppet

Post by gnuppet »

I got at least a 44 (depending on some questionable spelling) on the Central time zone test and chose Boston and have heard nothing yet. Am I pretty much out of it since I have heard people getting emails for Boston or will they send out more invites in the weeks to come?

I'm frustrated that I have only been to one audition in about four or five tries while scoring over 35 every time i try :cry:
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

gnuppet wrote:I got at least a 44 (depending on some questionable spelling) on the Central time zone test and chose Boston and have heard nothing yet. Am I pretty much out of it since I have heard people getting emails for Boston or will they send out more invites in the weeks to come?

I'm frustrated that I have only been to one audition in about four or five tries while scoring over 35 every time i try :cry:
I auditioned in New York and it took me a few days to get my email invite after hearing of others receiving them.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
gnuppet wrote:I got at least a 44 (depending on some questionable spelling) on the Central time zone test and chose Boston and have heard nothing yet. Am I pretty much out of it since I have heard people getting emails for Boston or will they send out more invites in the weeks to come?

I auditioned in New York and it took me a few days to get my email invite after hearing of others receiving them.
No, you're not out of it, re Boston. Invites don't all go out at the same time.

Having already been to an audition will surely help you with the next one. Yes, it's understandable that you're feeling frustrated, but you should also understand that the odds of being called for an audition any given year are actually quite low, considering the large pool of people who passed the qualifying test and the relatively small number of audition spots.

Also, it might be obvious to you, but please make sure that "that email" has not gone to your spam folder.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Yeah, the last time I got an audition (all the way back in 2008), at least one person reported receiving an invite for my city of choice before I did, which made me think that I was not going to get one. I don't remember how much longer after it was (I am thinking somewhere between a week and a month), but I ended up getting an invite myself.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

10,000 people pass the test, about 2500 get an audition. I've passed three straight without the invite, here's hoping it's not four.

2500 audition, 360 make the show.

These are rough numbers, but you see the odds.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

triviawayne wrote:10,000 people pass the test, about 2500 get an audition. I've passed three straight without the invite, here's hoping it's not four.

...and it gets worse. 360 make the show and roughly 90 will win A game, with the number of repeat winners exponentially lower.

FWIW I was invited to a live audition the first year the online quiz was conducted. Since 2009 I have passed the online quiz five times, and if I get passed over again this year (as it seems so far) that will be five years without an invite. It appears all the wishing and wanting in the world aren't enough some times.

Keep on tryin' pal.
Robbo
Contributor

Post by Robbo »

I was wondering if they will be doing a few different periods of Boston auditions. Boston is an option for Sports Jeopardy as wrll, does that mean the contestant coordinators have to make two trips out to Boston? Or is there going to be a quick turn around between taking the Sports test and when Boston invites go out? Just seems strange it is the same people running both tryouts that they make two separate trips, when it would have been better to do both in the same block of time.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Robbo wrote:I was wondering if they will be doing a few different periods of Boston auditions. Boston is an option for Sports Jeopardy as wrll, does that mean the contestant coordinators have to make two trips out to Boston? Or is there going to be a quick turn around between taking the Sports test and when Boston invites go out? Just seems strange it is the same people running both tryouts that they make two separate trips, when it would have been better to do both in the same block of time.
All the Sports J! audition cities are the same as the regular J! audition cities, leading me to assume both auditions will be at the same time.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BobF

Post by BobF »

triviawayne wrote:10,000 people pass the test, about 2500 get an audition. I've passed three straight without the invite, here's hoping it's not four.

Hey, I'm only saying this to be helpful, don't take this the wrong way. But when you say things like that, combined with your signature line of 5 time passer, 0 time swimmer, it makes you sound a little bit on the bitter side. Since TPTB have been know to look at what's posted on here, I wonder if stuff like that is hurting your chances?

Anyway, I wish you lots of luck, the live auditions are enjoyable. (Actually, I can say the same for Wheel auditions as well, but Jeopardy! auditions are far better!)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!