Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:He then said, "It's my business to know everything. You are bpmod." I was flabbergasted.
Did he pronounce it correctly, though? ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:He then said, "It's my business to know everything. You are bpmod." I was flabbergasted.
Did he pronounce it correctly, though? ;)
Actually, he didn't get it quite right, but what he got, he pronounced correctly. And he was close enough that I knew he had been here more than once.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

It may be worth noting that only a definite minority of members here are in any way identifiable.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

BobF wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Johnblue wrote:I'm not sure how true that is. When I lived in NY, I passed the test & was selected twice for the auditions at the Waldorf. I moved south before the Jan. 2013 test & I've passed it three times & not been called. I think they spend more days in Boston, nyc, philly etc so that averages out the difference.
Agreed. I think those who think otherwise are, as Alex puts it, "overthinking it".
Yup, if you had 1,000 test passers in the Boston area and 500 in the Tampa area, it would EASILY justify spending twice as many days in Boston as in Tampa. Assuming that the Boston hotel properly inflated all of its footballs.
This is all just speculation, I'm not saying anyone is surely right or surely wrong because really we don't know; but I disagree with this theory:

It is known there are a disproportionate amount of test passers in the northeast. It is also known that since the introduction of the online test, there has been a more diversified pool of contestants, not only in demographics, but in geographic areas. Does having 1000 pass in Boston and 500 in Tampa justify spending twice as much time in Boston...sure, but that would be a step backward in that diversified potential contestant pool. It would be more detrimental to the show overall to have that disproportionate number of contestants from the same geographic area. I know I get more excited to see someone from my home state or better yet hometown; and I'm sure there are plenty of viewers out there who feel the same.

No matter how much time they spend in each city, equal time or not, they will see about seven times more people than they need to put on the show. I would even guess that of the 2500 they see, a good 10% are pretty much done for at audition for whatever reasons. Could be they got a 40 online and only a 20 in-person--signs of either can't handle the pressure or cheated somehow on the online test. Could be they just can't get away from dressing like Mr. Spock and insist on speaking Klingon at all times. Who knows, but I would guess 10% eliminate themselves from being considered for the show at the audition. This still leaves 2250 people, and I think it makes more sense to have those 2250 from as many areas as possible, because when it comes down to the lucky 360 the CCs decide to go with, they will have just as good a television product as if they spent more time in any one city with more passers.

Keep in mind, they aren't looking for the absolute best in the country at trivia; they are looking to create an entertaining half hour of television for a mass audience because once everyone gets to that studio, they are usually all about equal in skill level; so again, no need to pull from the area that has the most people passing the online test.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
trainman wrote:In the pre-online test days, they did have L.A. auditions about once a month. However, from what I can tell, they now only do them in L.A. once or twice a year.
Interesting. Long ago in 2007 (after the online test had been created, but before I myself had ever had the honor of being in the pool), I e-mailed TPTB about L.A. auditions (I was taking a trip there for professional reasons) and was told that they had been permanently discontinued.
The current L.A. auditions I'm referring to are the ones to which online test passers are invited. I have personal experience with those existing (although not as much experience as I would like...).
BobF

Post by BobF »

triviawayne wrote:Does having 1000 pass in Boston and 500 in Tampa justify spending twice as much time in Boston
When it's 1000 miles from the nearest alternate site and will likely get people from as far away as Virginia and Ohio (plus most eastern Canadians), yes.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
CheeseSteak

Post by CheeseSteak »

BobF wrote:
triviawayne wrote:Does having 1000 pass in Boston and 500 in Tampa justify spending twice as much time in Boston
When it's 1000 miles from the nearest alternate site and will likely get people from as far away as Virginia and Ohio (plus most eastern Canadians), yes.
This is why I think they're not done adding cities. There's too much distance between Boston and Atlanta. I wouldn't be surprised to see DC or Philadelphia have an audition in the fall.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote: I was at a Jeopardy! taping and, between episodes, I noticed two former contestants that I had met that morning talking to a gentleman that I had not yet met. I went over to join in the conversation and, as I approached, the man asked me "Are you on JBoard?". I turned to the other two and, mustering my best conspiratorial voice, said "They're not supposed to know about JBoard." He then said, "It's my business to know everything. You are bpmod." I was flabbergasted.

His name is Robert and he is (or was at the time, at least) a contestant coordinator.
Wow. That's impressive and a little scary. I wonder if I can improve my chances of being incognito if I don't wear the tux. Maybe ditch the ice cream....

I'm glad I'm not one of the boardies who frequently rags on contestant selection. I bet Robert doesn't take kindly to the Subaru stompers. :lol:
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

A little birdie told me:

Kansas City, July 1.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Very happy for those who received KC invites. Very sad to have apparently once again been passed by. Le sigh.
Sprinkles are for winners.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

July 1 for me as well - so excited!!!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Very happy for those who received KC invites. Very sad to have apparently once again been passed by. Le sigh.
Judging from Boston and Atlanta, the email could come on tomorrow or the day after. Be patient, I hope to see you there!

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Awesome! Watch out for those crazy little women there, though.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Let's see...lost my job, no audition...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

NoName84 wrote:Let's see...lost my job, no audition...
I feel for you, I've been jobless for 3.5 months now. Email could still come. If not there is next year, many of us here had to toil in the salt mines year after year.

Hang in there, pal!

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Congrats, David!!!! Here's hoping you get the call and they put a DD in Flags.
fowlerism

Post by fowlerism »

Bamaman wrote:Congrats, David!!!! Here's hoping you get the call and they put a DD in Flags.
This. This infinity. Ever so much this.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Congrats to everyone who's getting audition invites! Should you need food/entertainment recommendations for either KC or Atlanta, feel free to PM me. (Of course, the food recs in KC always start with barbeque)
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

jeff6286 wrote:
triviawayne wrote:What is the normal practice of the traveling audition team...do they tend to hit all the cities in a sweeping trip, or might they do Boston in early June, then another city a few weeks later, then back to the east coast, etc.?
My impression has always been that auditions are spaced throughout the year, they are not in one big trip. So I don't see any accurate way of being able to predict that me, even if you knew all of the Full schedules from prior years.
My understanding from my conversation with Maggie at the end of my audition is that they do a big sweeping trip. They were in Detroit one day and Toronto the next - or was it the other way around??

:lol: