Wednesday, May 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7073, 2015-05-20

"7000th Jeopardy! program".

CONTESTANTS
Ben Hom, a defense consultant and Navy Reserve officer from Arlington, Virginia
Becky Schiavo, a college administrator from Warwick, New York
Andrew Haringer, a college instructor from Squamish, British Columbia, Canada (whose 4-day cash winnings total $72,399)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. It hasn't always been pretty, and it hasn't always been easy, but Andrew has won those four games. And today we are delighted to welcome these challengers--Becky and Ben. You are joining us on a very special day. This is our 7,000th Jeopardy! program.

[Applause]

Alex: Thank you. And, like the Energizer bunny, we just keep going and going and going. So let's go into the Jeopardy! Round, shall we? And in honor of this 7,000th show, we have...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SALUTE TO 7000 (3/4)
DEBUTING IN 1984 (4/5) (Alex: That's when we started.)
BACK THEN NO ONE KNEW (3/4)
THROUGH THE YEARS (3/4)
ALWAYS IN FASHION (4/5)
NEW TWISTS ON JEOPARDY! FAVORITES (3/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ben: 9 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Andrew: 8 R, 1 W
Becky: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ben found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Andrew had $2,200, Becky had $800, and Ben was at $1,400. Ben made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

NEW TWISTS ON JEOPARDY! FAVORITES $1000: Nearly 500 clues about this English king, & yet none said that one of his favorite horses was named Canicida
(Ben: Who is King Arthur?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Andrew: $3,000
Ben: $1,200
Becky: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Commander Ben Hom is from Arlington, Virginia. A 25-year Navy veteran, so I'm gonna make the assumption that you have been deployed overseas on a number of occasions. Where have you been stationed?

Ben: Oh, I've been stationed in Norfolk, uh, out in Hawaii in Pearl Harbor, uh, in Newport, Rhode Island, and, uh, also, down on the Gulf Coast, down in Texas.

Alex: Favorite place for a Navy man?

Ben: Oh, I think Hawaii.

Alex: Yeah? Okay.

Ben: Yeah.

Alex: All right, good for you.

Alex: Becky Schiavo from Warwick, New York. Had a fun honeymoon.

Becky: I did. It was a five-week, cross-country road trip. We drove through New York to California and back, ate a lot of good food, saw a lot of good sights, and we're still happily married today, so it all worked out well.

Alex: Well, good for you. But it was driving in a car, not on bicycles or anything like that.

Becky: Correct. It was in a car. Lots of--got to know everything there is to know about each other.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Andrew Haringer is our champion. And what's this about, you trying--it sounds like you were trying to have fun with people in Edinburgh. No matter what they asked you, you had a consistent response?

Andrew: Yes.

Alex: Tell me what happened.

Andrew: So, my buddies and I were in Edinburgh, and we started--we decided, "Let's do bar trivia. We're good at trivia, right?" And it was all English or British pop culture, and we just--we just weren't doing well. So at one point, we thought the answer was Sir Mick Jagger, and it wasn't, and at that point, we decided, "Let's just guess Sir Mick Jagger for everything", to most humorous effect when the question was "Who played Moses in The Ten Commandments?" Uh, and we had a nice little "parting of the Red Sea" dance that went along with it, so...

Alex: Okay! Good to know.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DEBUTING IN 1984 $1000: Justin Bieber was born in 1994; this "SNL" woman who plays Justin Bieber better than Justin Bieber was born in '84

SALUTE TO 7000 $800: This tech company that sounds like a reservoir of sweetness makes the Lynx Touch 7000 security system

THROUGH THE YEARS $1000: Centered in Italy 1909-1916, this art movement emphasized the dynamism of modern life & technology

BACK THEN NO ONE KNEW $600: ...this word for a certain men's hairstyle; an early use was in a 1994 Beastie Boys tune

ALWAYS IN FASHION $1000: Steve Madden's toppazz is a stylish example of this versatile low-cut slip-on shoe with a heel
(Andrew: What is a loafer?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Andrew: $3,600
Ben: $3,400
Becky: $1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THAT MOVIE TITLE IS LEGAL (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CAVES (5/5)
THE ALLITERATI (5/5)
"EBB" & "FLO" (3/5)
GUARDIANS (5/5)
OF THE GALAXY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Becky: 7 R, 0 W
Ben: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ben snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Andrew had $3,600, Becky had $1,400, and Ben was at $3,800. Ben made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,800.

OF THE GALAXY $1600: Galaxies are organized into hierarchical structures called these, containing 100s to 1,000s of galaxies each
(Ben: What are catalogs?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Andrew who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 10th clue. Andrew had $6,400, Becky had $3,000, and Ben had a deficit with -$1,200. Andrew wagered $3,600.

THAT MOVIE TITLE IS LEGAL $1600: Harrison Ford played Jack Ryan in this film whose title comes from a legal test devised by Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THAT MOVIE TITLE IS LEGAL $1200: Rather than take a settlement, attorney Paul Newman goes to trial in this legal drama
(Andrew: What is Legal Eagles?)
(Ben: What is Class Action?)
(Alex: Movie with a Boston setting was [*].)

THAT MOVIE TITLE IS LEGAL $2000: Marlene Dietrich is called as this, the title of a film based on a play by Agatha Christie
(Alex: She is called as a [*].)

"EBB" & "FLO" $400: A Flintstone family member
(Andrew: Who is Pebble?)
(Alex: [*]. Yes.)
[Reversed before Final Jeopardy! Round.]

"EBB" & "FLO" $1600: It's from the Yiddish for a luckless sap
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Andrew.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Andrew: $21,200 (lock game)
Becky: $9,000
Ben: $4,800

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: Now, before we get you three into Final Jeopardy!, a change in scoring, and it will affect Andrew. Good news and bad news--the bad news is, you said "Pebble" in the Flintstones clue a little while ago instead of "Pebbles"--that will cost you $800. However, your response of Anfortas with regard to the Arthurian legend is acceptable. In some versions, that was the name of the Fisher King. So, you're picking up $3,200. The scores are now correct, and here comes Final Jeopardy! Today, the category is RELIGION. Say a prayer, make your wagers. We'll return with the clue in a moment.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RELIGION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Andrew: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Becky: Wager $601 to cover Ben.
Ben: You have the hope of surpassing Becky for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $3,600 and $4,798.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The "N" in the I.N.R.I. written on the Christian cross refers to this place

FINAL SCORES
Ben: $4,800 + $4,800 = $9,600 (What is Nazarath?) (2nd place)
Becky: $9,000 - $601 = $8,399 (What is Nazarene?) (3rd place)
Andrew: $21,200 + $3,000 = $24,200 (What is Nazareth?) (72400-day champion: $24,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Andrew: $19,200, 21 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Ben: $10,000, 15 R, 3 W (including 2 DDs)
Becky: $9,000, 10 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $38,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Andrew: 22/59 = .373
Ben: 16/60 = .267
Becky: 10/58 = .172
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DEBUTING IN 1984 $800: This '84-born little sister, singer & actress had a baby named Bronx Mowgli with rock star Pete Wentz
(Andrew: Who is Simpson?)
(Alex: A--be more specific.)

SALUTE TO 7000 $600: 55 is where I set my 7000 model of this customizable bed
(Alex: Right, with less than a minute to go now.)

NEW TWISTS ON JEOPARDY! FAVORITES $800: The first mention of him: Season 16; some 170 clues later, we'll tell you Prof. Binns taught him the history of magic
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

OF THE GALAXY $1200: Seen here is the Sunflower Galaxy, a perfect example of this major type, named for its shape

GUARDIANS $2000: In Arthurian legend this wounded monarch is the guardian of the Holy Grail
(Andrew: Who is Anfortas?)
[Initially ruled incorrect; reversed before Final Jeopardy!]

GUARDIANS $1600: The scarlet & gold dress uniforms of these guardians of the Tower of London date back to 1552

CAVES $2000: The waves in Fingal's Cave in these inner Scottish islands inspired Felix Mendelssohn to write an overture

"EBB" & "FLO" $800: It's the diagram seen here

CORRECT RESPONSES
Henry VIII
Kate McKinnon
Honeywell
Futurism
mullet
a pump
clusters
Clear and Present Danger
The Verdict
Witness for the Prosecution
Pebbles
a nebbish
Nazareth
Ashlee Simpson
Sleep Number
Harry Potter
spiral
the Fisher King
the Beefeaters (or Yeoman Warders)
the (Inner) Hebrides
a flow chart
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Refers to Nazareth, but stands for Nazarene.
Abraxas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Abraxas »

Andrew just keeps rolling along; congratulations on the fifth win! I had 39 correct responses including two triple stumpers: Honeywell and futurism. I also got the missed DD of Henry VIII. Instaget FJ.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Trying to google around for Andrew's alternate answer to the fisher king, since I had never heard of it, what did he answer?

FJ was instaget, and for whatever reason made me think of this movie scene:

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

In the first round, I thought Alex has started to say 'Ashlee' and might've given Andrew the answer, but figured I misheard him when no one said anything. If "Pebble" wasn't reversed, it would've been time to get my ears checked :lol:

Not sure how it is I've never heard of INRI before, yet looking it up I've seen the translated phrase a million times.
OSXpert wrote: FJ was instaget, and for whatever reason made me think of this movie scene:

Also instaget (not much else it could've been), and also the first thing that came to mind when I looked it up :mrgreen:

Congrats Andrew! It's like 5 day champs grow on trees now.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed May 20, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Religion
The "N" in the I.N.R.I. written on the Christian cross refers to this place.

Spoiler
What is Nazareth? Becky said Nazarene.

Andrew Haringer: $21,200+$3,000=$24,200...now a 5-day champion with $96,599
Becky Schiavo: $9,000-$601=$8,399
Ben Hom: $4,800+$4,800=$9,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed May 20, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Dangit, we almost got to see the old lock-tie scenario under the new rules. :(
Leander

Post by Leander »

OSXpert wrote:Trying to google around for Andrew's alternate answer to the fisher king, since I had never heard of it, what did he answer?

He said Amfortas, who appears in a German version of the Grail story that was famously adapted by Wagner into his opera Parsifal (although Arthur never appears in the opera).
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Witness for the Prosecution is a triple stumper?? A film based on one of the most popular murder mystery authors, directed by one of the greatest directors, cast with some of Hollywood's most iconic actors?

Given that Hollywood is a well-used Jeopardy category, it's hard to fathom that contestants don't have a little more familiarity with Turner Classic Movies.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right.

7000 (2), 1984 (4), Knew (2), Years (3), Fash (1), Favor (4)
Legal (1), Cave (2), All (4), "EBB" "FLO" (4), Guard (1), Gal (4)

Lach Trash: "Henry VIII"- DD, "clusters"- DD

Instaget FJ.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Felt bad for the Commander... always enjoy seeing military personnel take part in the game.

As one who had twelve years of Catholic school education, FJ was an Instaget. They could have made it more difficult, IMHO, to ask what the 'R' stands for in INRI... :-)
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

danspartan wrote:Dangit, we almost got to see the old lock-tie scenario under the new rules. :(
Yeah, I was really hoping for that. Around the minute to go warning they where sitting at 14,800 & 7,400 and I was thinking 'if only Ben rings in first on the rest of the clues'.
When the DJ ended at 18,000 to 9,000, I was doing a Marv Albert "YES".
Then Alex immediately pulls the rug out. #*!^#~<#*%!

I had Lach Trash on Honeywell and The Verdict.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:Refers to Nazareth, but stands for Nazarene.
Yeah, that was a tough break. Ask what the N stands for and Nazarene is just as right as Nazareth. But the FJ asked for "this place" so Becky's out a thousand bucks.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BADuBois wrote:Felt bad for the Commander... always enjoy seeing military personnel take part in the game.

As one who had twelve years of Catholic school education, FJ was an Instaget. They could have made it more difficult, IMHO, to ask what the 'R' stands for in INRI... :-)
The R is the easiest. It's the second I that's a killer.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I lost my place while scoring Single Jeopardy, although there wasn't too much board-hopping. In Double Jeopardy (also an answer), I got 18 right and $19600. FJ was an instaget due to my ten years of Catholic school, although a teacher once told us INRI stood for "I'll Never Regret It." :? Three years of Latin made up for that.
As an RPI grad, I was proud that a member of the Class of '89 got out of the hole and finished second on the 7000th episode. He must have joined the military right after college; Hawaii is a far, far better place to be stationed than Troy, NY.
Hoping for a third lap
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Hey, Pavlov! English king + frequent Jeopardy! clue bait + horse = ... who else but Richard III??

(d'oh)

Canadian musical professional punches his ticket for the Tournament.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Through the Years for $200 shows why I hate "go for the obvious". I THOUGHT Hitler = Germany = Berlin would be right at $200, but nooooo, they wanted Munich. See? This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. How was I supposed to know that was Munich anyway?!

WLT Hamlet on Jeopardy! Favorites for $200? Was it the word that kinda sorta might have vaguely sounded like Denmark if you looked at it for an hour? Because that was about as obvious as Johnny Cash with a black lab in a blackout at midnight.

Somehow I never managed to think that "taught him magic" was leading up to a fictional character. I honestly thought they were about to ask about a magician in real life.

WLT James Joyce on Alliterati for $400?

FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME, BRAIN, SAGITTARIUS IS NOT THE FREAKING GOAT. THAT IS CAPRICORN. WHY CAN YOU NEVER GET THIS STRAIGHT?!?

I should've gotten futurism since I was reading about it in an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, but it didn't surface in time.

I thought for sure today's DJ! would be a repeat of yesterday, where I got 0 right, but I managed 5.

Have they ever corrected a score at the end of the DJ! round like that? Usually they wait until the final segment.

Mom said she got FJ! right, and it turns out I did too. Only "N" place with a biblical history that came to mind.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Pebble was an easy reverse. Amfortas? Wow, anyone else have that one? It got Andrew the cherry on top of his first lead entering the FJ! round.

Ben hunted and found 2 DDs. Be careful what you wish for you just might get it.

N=Nazareth...Other than doing the Nazarene thing I don't know where else to go for a miss? Nile? Nod? Nineveh?
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Budphrey wrote:Hey, Pavlov! English king + frequent Jeopardy! clue bait + horse = ... who else but Richard III??

(d'oh)
Oh, good, it wasn't just me.