500 Questions [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: 500 Questions

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:Ogi Ogas was also on Jeopardy! in Jan. 1993 as well (he lost to Diane Siegel sometime during her run, and none of her regular games are archived).
Ogi Oglethorpe?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

legendneverdies wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Since the first episode got cut, I think it's more fair to call the show 360 Questions.
Tonight's episode is two hours. The nine nights originally planned for this was cut to seven, so its possible ABC decided to make a two hour block out of one or two nights of it.
Both Thursdays (next week being the finale) are two hours.

I'm wondering how the order was decided, how was Dan decided to be the first contestant and the one that Ogi has to "dethrone" (and, realistically, the only one with a shot at all 500 questions at this pace)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

Maybe I missed it, but has anybody said whether the difficulty level of the questions within a category have a pattern, or is it random? It seems like it would make sense to have them increase in difficulty, but from what I saw last night, they didn't seem to get any harder to answer further on in the category. I know it's a pretty small sample size so far.

Also, one possible strategy for not picking the 'Writers' category. If he feels strong in that category, he may hope that the challenger interprets not picking that category as a weakness. So when you have two strikes against you, the challenger may go to your 'supposedly' weak spot, where you are actually fairly strong.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Bamaman wrote:...While rockford cheese wasn't a horrible guess, why would you pick that first?...
One more item for my files.
OCSam
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Bamaman wrote:...While rockford cheese wasn't a horrible guess, why would you pick that first?...
You expect to garner accolades for jokes like that one?
Sprinkles are for winners.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

It was interesting seeing the game after reading all the hype put forth by the producers. I'd say it reminded me of a cross between Millionaire and Trivial Pursuit, with a nod to Cranium or Pictionary, too (one could also draw a comparison to the NTN Buzztime games Six and Showdown). I was also one who was a bit put off by the slow pacing of the game. For something billed as "the most extreme trivia competition EVER!" I'd expect them to use rapid-fire questioning to greater effect. The questions themselves seemed to me to be on a par with the J! online test, so Dan's 70% get rate sounds a lot like the passing score for the J! test (and not a terribly daunting bar for those of us who score comfortably above 35 on those tests). I wasn't put off by the host's banter, though, yes, I do prefer AT's understated style. I was disappointed to not see someone I knew on the program (yes, I'm looking at you, Lampy!) but that'll keep me coming back. I'll wait and see if they can iron the kinks out of the format and turn it into a more exciting show rather than MSQ redux.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Steppenwolf wrote:Maybe I missed it, but has anybody said whether the difficulty level of the questions within a category have a pattern, or is it random? It seems like it would make sense to have them increase in difficulty, but from what I saw last night, they didn't seem to get any harder to answer further on in the category. I know it's a pretty small sample size so far.
The difficulty level seemed pretty random when I auditioned.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

I don't know what you people are complaining about. 500 Questions is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful trivia show I've ever known in my life.

Rex
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
I just want to acknowledge this whole cheesy exchange.
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

patkav wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
its not worth getting blue over this.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
patkav wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
its not worth getting blue over this.
Sure, just make fun when someone has a tybo...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Rex Kramer wrote:I don't know what you people are complaining about. 500 Questions is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful trivia show I've ever known in my life.

Rex
+1 Q♥
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 500 Questions [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

Millionaire got away with a slow pace because it was always just as much about the interaction between Regis and the contestant as it was about the game for many viewers. This guy's never going to develop rapport with anyone. He just hectors.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

davey wrote:Millionaire got away with a slow pace because it was always just as much about the interaction between Regis and the contestant as it was about the game for many viewers. This guy's never going to develop rapport with anyone. He just hectors.
True. Also, they were only trying to get through 15 questions, five of which were over in a minute or so.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Storyteller
Contributor

Post by Storyteller »

teapot37 wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
Storyteller wrote: 5) Melodrama: I think this is the producers's bread and butter. A lot of us quiz-minded folk care about the difficulty of the questions and the gameplay, but what made Millionaire (and The Weakest Link) was the drama. Watching someone puzzle over four possible answers while a musical heartbeat played or waiting to see who each contestant voted as "the weakest link" was why many of us watched these shows. The show is supposed to keep our attention on seeing whether the contestant can manage to avoid too many wrong answers in a row, and especially whether she can survive with two wrongs with the challenger picking the category of the next question. Such drama might also divert the audience from realizing that, after one hour of prime-time programming, only $5,000 has actually been awarded.
How exactly has $5,000 been awarded? My understanding was that the player doesn't win anything unless they clear the board. Am I wrong about this?
Apparently, when you get to 25 correct, you get $5000 to keep, in addition to whatever you win from the rest of the game.
Not quite. If you reach the 25th question on any board, i.e., a "Milestone Question" (e.g., the 75th question), AND you correctly answer in such a way that you would put money in the bank, then you get $5,000 to take home no matter what. Ways of NOT obtaining $5K: (1) On a single-answer question, giving the correct answer second or later or failing to blitz the correct answer. (2) On a Triple Threat, not supplying all three answers necessary in time. (3) On a Top 10, not supplying five of the 10 possible answers in time. (4) On a Battle question, losing (or tieing) the Battle. (It is possible to tie in a Battle.) In all these situations you would get bupkis.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

After reading the previous 135 posts I can say that the analysis of this show is on target. I will watch because I enjoy quiz shows and there is so many other shows on TV that do not interest me. But it would be easy to improve on the format shown here.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

There's an article by Louis (Virtel, who posts here and was on Jeopardy! recently) on Hitfix about the show. I haven't had the chance to watch it yet, and probably won't until tomorrow, but he makes some interesting points, plus it's basically from a boardie's perspective:

http://www.hitfix.com/news/why-500-ques ... tv-needs-2
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

barandall800 wrote:There's an article by Louis (Virtel, who posts here and was on Jeopardy! recently) on Hitfix about the show. I haven't had the chance to watch it yet, and probably won't until tomorrow, but he makes some interesting points, plus it's basically from a boardie's perspective:

http://www.hitfix.com/news/why-500-ques ... tv-needs-2
I disagree. This show, like other prime-time shows, lacks a sense of urgency. The show is called 500 questions for god's sake. Ask more questions. Expect faster answers. Set aside a discrete period for banter - the rest of the time should be focused on the game!

Also, they should have picked me. I wouldn't be afraid to tell Quest to stop stalling.
Last edited by MDaunt on Thu May 21, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

This board needs an "endorse" button.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

This show put me to sleep... not a fan at all. Million Second Quiz was way better... I have no idea why people hated it. I always love the shows people hate, and always hate the shows people love. :(