500 Questions [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 500 Questions [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Post by Fleeboy »

Bamaman wrote:
UniquePerspective wrote:I'm possibly being stupid here or missed it, but...what do you actually get for hitting the 500th question? An additional prize? Not sure if it was said.
I have not heard it said. But since it is nearly impossible for them to reach that point in the five remaining hours, it really doesn't matter.
If there is a mega-jackpot at the end of the rainbow, shouldn't that have been announced up front? Otherwise, it appears the contestants are playing for an indeterminate amount of cash (something less than $500,000, unless the question values and/or bonuses grow as a player progresses) and the satisfaction of having survived 500 questions (which, while daunting, is a little over 10 percent of the number of clues KJ saw on his original Jeopardy! run).

I'm sure it's not the case, but to the casual viewer it almost seems as if they're making up the rules as they go along. I'll keep watching, though, to see how fellow boardies and other acquaintances fare.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

There is no jackpot. The show does not come anywhere close to 500 questions.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

With reviews like this, the show will be..... gone. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/23/arts/ ... .html?_r=0
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

StevenH wrote:
Lampy wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:You do not know what the list is until you decide who goes first.
True, but you can sometimes have a pretty good guess. I was not the only person in the studio to predict that what the Sci-Fi battle was going to be about.

Rex
INDEED
I precalled called Stephen King books when the 10 answer challenge came up in the Literary Horror category.
i did as well...was pretty easy to figure out..not really much out there with horror fiction that would be included in a top 10 challenge
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

CasketRomance wrote:what is the name of the maryland chick? couldn't understand what the tool of a host said
'Round here we pronounce it Rafferty Barnes.
OCSam
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

I watched for the first time last PM (Friday). Very confusing concept, almost as bad as the show that had the glass box (can't remember the name).
I expected an exciting trivia game and this sure wasn't it.
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

Post by VoluptuousLoser »

Fleeboy wrote:If there is a mega-jackpot at the end of the rainbow, shouldn't that have been announced up front? Otherwise, it appears the contestants are playing for an indeterminate amount of cash (something less than $500,000, unless the question values and/or bonuses grow as a player progresses) and the satisfaction of having survived 500 questions (which, while daunting, is a little over 10 percent of the number of clues KJ saw on his original Jeopardy! run).
I agree that this is a problem. No one knows what happens if you "answer 500 questions." A seven-figure jackpot? A brand new car? Bodily assumption into heaven?

Also, I put the quotes around "answer 500 questions" because the players are not really being asked to do that, no matter how many times the host says that they are. They are being asked to navigate through 500 questions without ever getting three wrong in a row (subject to various asterisks, including the ability to blitz). So, even if someone does get through 500 questions, they will likely have only answered perhaps 350 correctly, and fewer than that on the first guess.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

Bamaman wrote:It looked like Steve's strategy in the game against Megan was to keep going through fashion and take an easy category if he missed it. I think he surprised himself by going 4-1 in that one. I hadn't been keeping track, but I thought every category had a bonus question, but fashion didn't have one.
I went 3-2, so just alright. That's been my strategy in every game to some degree...versus James it was hard to decide which categories I even liked.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

VoluptuousLoser wrote:Also, I put the quotes around "answer 500 questions" because the players are not really being asked to do that, no matter how many times the host says that they are. They are being asked to navigate through 500 questions without ever getting three wrong in a row (subject to various asterisks, including the ability to blitz). So, even if someone does get through 500 questions, they will likely have only answered perhaps 350 correctly, and fewer than that on the first guess.
You're the one who added the "correctly" requirement.

Rex
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I am totally trying out for it next time (if there is one) for one reason: when he comes over to me and says "Three in a row wrong and you are ..." instead of saying "Gone", I'm going to say, "An ex-contestant".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:I am totally trying out for it next time (if there is one) for one reason: when he comes over to me and says "Three in a row wrong and you are ..." instead of saying "Gone", I'm going to say, "An ex-contestant".
I'd just shrug and shake my head.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

harrumph wrote:With reviews like this, the show will be..... gone. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/23/arts/ ... .html?_r=0
Maybe he could pop up in a Jeopardy! clue next season.

"Hi, I'm Neil Genzlinger, TV critic for the New York Times. In a review for this short lived game show that failed miserably in an attempt to become a prime time hit, I suggested there are 500 things that are more interesting than it, such as sitting through my slow, long winded reading of this clue, which will prevent us from clearing the board this round".
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

econgator wrote:I love my DVR's description of tonight's episode: The genius who is trailing behind tries to overcome the other's lead.

Ummmm ... OK.
The descriptions for the remaining episodes are no less... generic.
Spoiler
Monday: The reigning competitors try to withstand the pressure as they continue to face off and tackle more questions.
Tuesday: The geniuses continue to face off.
Wednesday: The reigning genius's intellectual strength continues to be tested.
Thursday: The final night in the challenge sees the reigning genius hoping to take the lead all the way to the finish line.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I'm apparently easy to please (or maybe it's because I'm feeling laid-back with the semester being over), but I like it, and I don't even mind the host that much. Looking forward to seeing how rundle-mate Rafferty Barnes does next week.

Santa, for Christmas I want a reality show starring Steve Bahnaman and Colby Burnett. I don't even care what it's about.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

alietr wrote:I am totally trying out for it next time (if there is one) for one reason: when he comes over to me and says "Three in a row wrong and you are ..." instead of saying "Gone", I'm going to say, "An ex-contestant".
I'd be tempted to mimic is three-finger routine - starting with the wrong finger.
OCSam
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Linear Gnome wrote: Santa, for Christmas I want a reality show starring Steve Bahnaman and Colby Burnett. I don't even care what it's about.
"Footwear"
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Bamaman wrote:
harrumph wrote:With reviews like this, the show will be..... gone. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/23/arts/ ... .html?_r=0
Maybe he could pop up in a Jeopardy! clue next season.

"Hi, I'm Neil Genzlinger, TV critic for the New York Times. In a review for this short lived game show that failed miserably in an attempt to become a prime time hit, I suggested there are 500 things that are more interesting than it, such as sitting through my slow, long winded reading of this clue, which will prevent us from clearing the board this round".
Let's give the J! writers full permission to use this.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

I have decided that the next time our Stentorian host orders the contestants to "prepare for battle!", that one of them will nod, smile at the camera, and then bellow...

"THIS! IS! SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

That should hopefully cause the blowhard to go find a crate of Xanax and swallow them.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
TheConfessor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TheConfessor »

Fleeboy wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
UniquePerspective wrote:I'm possibly being stupid here or missed it, but...what do you actually get for hitting the 500th question? An additional prize? Not sure if it was said.
I have not heard it said. But since it is nearly impossible for them to reach that point in the five remaining hours, it really doesn't matter.
If there is a mega-jackpot at the end of the rainbow, shouldn't that have been announced up front? Otherwise, it appears the contestants are playing for an indeterminate amount of cash (something less than $500,000, unless the question values and/or bonuses grow as a player progresses) and the satisfaction of having survived 500 questions (which, while daunting, is a little over 10 percent of the number of clues KJ saw on his original Jeopardy! run).
As far as I can tell, anyone who gets through 500 questions wins the right to go home.

Speaking of KJ, can anyone figure out how many times Ken missed 3 in a row during his J! domination? It's probably comparing apples and oranges, but potentially interesting.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TheConfessor wrote:
Fleeboy wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
As far as I can tell, anyone who gets through 500 questions wins the right to go home.

Speaking of KJ, can anyone figure out how many times Ken missed 3 in a row during his J! domination? It's probably comparing apples and oranges, but potentially interesting.
Somehow I misunderstood this as missing three FJs in a row, rather than just three clues in a row within a game. (Because it was easy to figure out the answer to the question you didn't ask: Ken got FJ wrong three games in a row in games 23-25, and four in a row in games 39-42. He would have lost game 23 if his opponent had gone TDD when she had the chance.)