Who's Still Standing 1/9 (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Who's Still Standing 1/9

Post by RCraig »

mrbungle wrote:thank you, roger! everything i do, i do it for you.
just like the good ol' days when we were hangin' out at the Peach Pit, listening to Cracker...
Last edited by trainman on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed spoiler tags
mrbungle
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrbungle »

RCraig wrote:
mrbungle wrote:thank you, roger! everything i do, i do it for you.
just like the good ol' days when we were hangin' out at the Peach Pit, listening to Cracker...
i'm so excited! i'm so excited! i'm so... scared!
Last edited by trainman on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoiler tags removed
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I'm trying to follow this thread, but I must be missing something: are you saying that two people supposedly smart enough to make this show didn't know the highest mountain on Earth?
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

trying to follow this thread is like trying to follow hendrix at monterey: difficult to do, but nevertheless done by the mamas & the papas.
Last edited by trainman on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Paucle wrote:I'm trying to follow this thread, but I must be missing something: are you saying that two people supposedly smart enough to make this show didn't know the highest mountain on Earth?
Not even when spotted 29000 feet, Himalayas, and a puzzle on the screen (so they can see how many letters/words the right answer has) that spotted them the second E.

Watch some of the episodes on NBC's website. Even allowing for mrbungle's point about average joes, I dare you to get through even half an episode without wanting to try out and run circles around them...
Spoiler
as for me, I would've dropped through the floor on Lesko, and a few episodes back, I wouldn't have known Eden Prairie or whoever designed Kate MIddleton's wedding dress
Spoiler tags kept, just in case, due to spoilers for a previous Who's Still Standing episode. -- trainman
Last edited by trainman on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added note
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I watched the first few, but stopped when I realized how incredibly unfair it was to the outer ring: if the "king" dies early, the only person who gets money is the vanquisher. The rest of the ring gets dispatched and a whole new ring/ king plays. Ridiculous. It was barely passable as a format before I knew that. I hate any game show where contestants aren't given a chance to win something based upon their own abilities.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Paucle wrote:I watched the first few, but stopped when I realized how incredibly unfair it was to the outer ring: if the "king" dies early, the only person who gets money is the vanquisher. The rest of the ring gets dispatched and a whole new ring/ king plays. Ridiculous. It was barely passable as a format before I knew that. I hate any game show where contestants aren't given a chance to win something based upon their own abilities.
Yeah, they just should refill the empty spots and keep going, or at least give them all a chance at a speed round. I'd especially like it if the 'vanquisher' took the previous player's spot in the middle.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

mrbungle wrote:trying to follow this thread is like trying to follow hendrix at monterey: difficult to do, but nevertheless done by the mamas & the papas.
so you are saying that this thread is being followed by ALL the mamas and the papas?

So, so sorry for spoiling.
Last edited by trainman on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

this is the post I made about two weeks ago in KJ's forum:

Game starts as a speed round, 10 people on the ring. Last person standing gets the option: take the money and walk, or go for the million (mostly in the way currently formatted).

If they walk, another speed round, same options.

If you go for the million, you're all-in. Million or nothing. Money builds during this round just like it's a speed round. None of this "how much does your podium have" crap.

If center is defeated, challenger has same option: take the pool, or go for the million.

If the pool, another speed round. If they claim center, pool remains and builds for next potential vanquisher.

(and newly added for this post!)
If it comes down to two people (a king and a ring): if the king wins, s/he takes the million; if the king is vanquished, the ring has the option of taking the pool, or answering one more question for one million dollars.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Paucle wrote:I watched the first few, but stopped when I realized how incredibly unfair it was to the outer ring: if the "king" dies early, the only person who gets money is the vanquisher. The rest of the ring gets dispatched and a whole new ring/ king plays. Ridiculous. It was barely passable as a format before I knew that. I hate any game show where contestants aren't given a chance to win something based upon their own abilities.
You didn't watch enough of it then.
Last edited by trainman on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoiler tags removed
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

oh, then tell me where I'm wrong please? The episode that made me give up on it, the king was killed by, I believe, the second one on the ring (this didn't hapeen until the 3rd or 4th episode as I recall).
The vanquisher got 10k, the king was deposed, and the rest of the ring was dismissed. We got a new king and a new ring.
What am I missing? how did the "dismissees" get a chance to win money based upon their knowledge?
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Paucle wrote:oh, then tell me where I'm wrong please? The episode that made me give up on it, the king was killed by, I believe, the second one on the ring (this didn't hapeen until the 3rd or 4th episode as I recall).
The vanquisher got 10k, the king was deposed, and the rest of the ring was dismissed. We got a new king and a new ring.
What am I missing? how did the "dismissees" get a chance to win money based upon their knowledge?
Sorry, I didn't realize how confusing the editing on this show is. An entire round was excised from that episode so that it would fit more nicely into its one-hour timeslot. From Wikipedia:
After the Hero exits the game, the remaining Strangers, including the one who defeated the Hero if applicable, play a "Speed Round" among themselves. The host asks a question to each one in turn, with 10 seconds on the clock instead of 20. Each correct answer adds $2,000 to a jackpot, while a wrong answer drops the Stranger with no winnings (although if the Hero had been defeated, the Stranger who defeated the Hero still keeps their winnings). The last one left standing wins the entire jackpot. As with a winning Hero, the winner has the option of walking out of the studio or dropping through the trap door. A Speed Round is always played and filmed when at least two Strangers remain; should there not be enough time to air the Speed Round, it may either be posted on the show's website after the episode airs, or aired on a subsequent episode.
Last edited by trainman on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Who's Still Standing 1/9 (SPOILERS)

Post by trainman »

I added "(SPOILERS)" to the thread subject line and removed most of the spoiler tags within posts, except for a couple of instances of specific spoils of other episodes/other shows. Sorry to a couple of you who were using the spoiler tags for humor-related reasons rather than protecting actual spoilage.

As suggested by one of my fellow moderators much earlier on in this thread...in situations such as this, let's put "(SPOILERS)" in the subject line -- same as is done with the daily J! threads -- rather than using spoiler tags in each post and making threads such as this difficult and annoying to read.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Didn't know that humor was against the rules.
Spoiler
My bad.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I happened upon this show while channel surfing and caught most of the episode. I was pleasantly surprised to recognize mrbungle on the show -- you did a superb job, congrats.
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

DWS wrote:I happened upon this show while channel surfing and caught most of the episode. I was pleasantly surprised to recognize mrbungle on the show -- you did a superb job, congrats.
thank you, DWS!
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

I can understand removing the spoiler tags, but the thread's title only indicates that there are spoilers for Who's Still Standing. I hope no one gets upset at the major plot points of 90210 and Saved by the Bell revealed upthread...

mrbungle, did u fall through the trapdoor ever? possibly during rehearsals? did u get to keep the purple epaulets?
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

RCraig wrote:I hope no one gets upset at the major plot points of 90210 and Saved by the Bell revealed upthread...
i still can't believe screech turned out to be dylan and andrea's secret lovechild!
RCraig wrote:mrbungle, did u fall through the trapdoor ever? possibly during rehearsals? did u get to keep the purple epaulets?
i did not fall through a hole in the floor. nor did i get to keep the clothes. but i did get to experience the wardrobe woman glancing at me in the jacket they gave me, demanding that someone bring her a sheet of purple sequins, then grabbing a scissors and cutting out (freehand!) perfectly symmetrical purple-sequined epaulets like it was no big deal. very impressive.