Wednesday, May 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7078, 2015-05-27

CONTESTANTS
Jane Longacre, a pediatrician from Ambler, Pennsylvania
Kate Cox, a writer from Arlington, Virginia
Dan Feitel, an attorney originally from Gillette, New Jersey (whose 1-day cash winnings total $27,599)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. We're very lucky here at Jeopardy! We have a very bright staff so that whenever I make a mistake, they're there to help me out and help me correct that mistake. Something similar occurred at the end of yesterday's program. I made the mistake of mispronouncing Dan's last name. I said "dan FI-tel". At the end of the program, his mom came out of the audience, spoke to our stage manager to help straighten me out. "Tell him it's 'dan fi-TELL.' Get it right, Trebek." Sounds a lot like Sean Connery, she does.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay, Kate and Jane are here. Welcome. Good luck. Here we go--the Jeopardy! Round. And now these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GREAT AMERICAN NOVELS (5/5)
THE OTHER ACTING BROTHER (4/5)
MURDERED TO DEATH (5/5)
SOBRIQUETS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AYE (3/3)
THERE'S THE "RUB" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Kate: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Jane: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dan: $3,800
Kate: $1,200
Jane: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jane Longacre has been a pediatrician for, what is it, 30...?

Jane: 32 years.

Alex: Now, briefly, how has pediatrics changed over the years, in those 32 years?

Jane: Um...

Alex: What's the biggest change that you've noticed?

Jane: The biggest change since I--from my residency until now is the amount of vaccine-preventable diseases so that we don't have as many children dying of vaccine-preventable diseases, but we have more developmental things that we need to deal with.

Alex: Okay. All right. Interesting. I--You talked about the vaccines, and there was that measles foofaraw a few months back.

Jane: Right, right.

Alex: Kate Cox is a writer from Arlington, Virginia, and she had a great sense of herself when she was very, very young. Because you were only how old, 4 years old, when you met John Williams?

Kate: I was--I was 4 years old, and my parents worked in classical music and radio in Boston, back when John Williams conducted the Boston Pops, and we all got to go to a reception afterwards, and Mr. Williams stepped out to get some air, and an intrepid, young 4-year-old followed him and sat next to him and informed him that his Star Wars scores were much better than his Superman music.

[Laughter]

Alex: I'm sure he appreciated hearing from you on that.

Kate: I'm sure.

Alex: Yeah. Okay.

Alex: Dan Feitel is our champion. He is not only a good Jeopardy! player. He is good at playing squash, and he plays it often. You look to be in shape.

Dan: Thank you.

Alex: How often do you play squash?

Dan: About four or five times a week, although I haven't been able to as much recently 'cause I've been preparing for Jeopardy!

Alex: Whoa, wait a minute. I would think that if you played squash, that would keep you fit, and you have to be in good shape to play on Jeopardy! because you need your mind sharp, and you need stamina if you're gonna win a lot of games.

Dan: You need strong legs, 'cause they're shaking back here, so all that running is helpful.

Alex: [Laughing] Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kate found the Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Dan had $4,400, Kate had $4,000, and Jane was at $1,000. Kate wagered $1,000.

SOBRIQUETS $600: Newspaper:
"The Gray Lady"
(Alex: My little "ni" got to you. You like Monty Python?)
(Kate: I do, yes.)
(Alex: Minute to go now, a little less than a minute.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE OTHER ACTING BROTHER $800: His big brother was a "Drugstore Cowboy"; he's an "Entourage"r
(Dan: Who is Dillon?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Dan: Who is Matt Dillon?)

SOBRIQUETS $1000: California horticulturist:
"The Plant Wizard"
[Alex mispronounces "horticulturist" as "horticulturalist" when reading the clue.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dan: $5,800
Kate: $5,800
Jane: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ON THE MEDITERRANEAN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MUSIC MISHMASH (4/4)
ANATOMY (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
TRANSPORTATION MILESTONES (3/5)
THE LATE 19th CENTURY (3/5)
GIVE ME 5-LETTER WORDS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 14 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Kate: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Jane: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jane snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Dan had $6,200, Kate had $5,000, and Jane was at $2,400. Jane wagered $2,000.

ANATOMY $1600: Rhyming names of 2 of the respiratory system's passageways; one leads to the other
(Alex: Jane, nothing's coming?)
(Jane: No.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Dan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Dan had $13,400, Kate had $5,000, and Jane had a deficit with -$1,600. Dan wagered $3,000.

ON THE MEDITERRANEAN $1600: Say hello to the 30+-story Shalom Tower in this city

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANATOMY $1200: The pectoral girdle consists of the clavicle & this other bone

ANATOMY $2000: This gland that's the downstairs neighbor of the hypothalamus produces the hormone prolactin
(Jane: What is the pineal gland?)

THE LATE 19th CENTURY $1600: Author Guy de Maupassant got some good story material as an army private during this 1870 war
(Dan: What is the Crimean War?)
(Kate: What is the Boer War?)

THE LATE 19th CENTURY $2000: In 1890 a mercenary force organized by Cecil Rhodes founded Fort Salisbury, today this national capital

TRANSPORTATION MILESTONES $1600: "You can be sure" that in 1869 he patented an air brake for trains that could be controlled by the engineer

TRANSPORTATION MILESTONES $2000: In 1823 Maryland's Boonsborough Turnpike was the USA's first road to use this broken-stone pavement named for a Scot
(Kate: What is tarmac?)
(Jane: What is asphalt?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dan: $18,000 (lock game)
Kate: $7,000
Jane: -$2,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GOVERNORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
Dan: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Kate: You've no hope of catching up... unless Dan does something stupid. So risk as much as $6,999; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Governors of adjacent states, these 2 ex-prosecutors are also adjacent on an alphabetical list of governors

FINAL SCORES
Kate: $7,000 - $6,999 = $1 (Who are ?) (2nd place)
Dan: $18,000 + $0 = $18,000 (Who is Christie + Cuomo?) (27600-day champion: $18,000)
(Alex: Remember folks, the young man is originally from New Jersey...)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dan: $16,600, 25 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Kate: $6,600, 16 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Jane: $0, 7 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $23,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Dan: 26/59 = .441
Kate: 16/59 = .271
Jane: 7/59 = .119
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE OTHER ACTING BROTHER $1000: He's an Oscar nominee in his own right

MURDERED TO DEATH $200: Painter Vincenzo Camuccini took a stab at the death of this man, based in part on a bust from the subject's time period

GREAT AMERICAN NOVELS $800: Howard Roark is the visionary architect in this novel
(Kate: What is Atlas Shrugged?)
(Jane: What is...)
(Alex: Oh, it's not coming to you.)
(Alex: Yes, the other novel by Ayn Rand.)

THERE'S THE "RUB" $1000: Fetch me this arrangement of woody plants or I shall say "ni" to you!
[Kate smiles and chuckles at the response.]

AYE $1000: Ending debate on Vivek Murthy's nomination for Surgeon General, on Dec. 15, 2014 the Senate agreed to invoke this
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]
(Alex: Now, before we take the break, I believe I made another mistake that I have made in the past. I said, "horticulturalist" instead of "horticulturist". I apologize for that, and I've saved our staff from correcting me again. Back in a moment.)

ANATOMY $800: There are ascending & descending parts of this artery that carries blood away from the heart
(Kate: What is the carotid?)

GIVE ME 5-LETTER WORDS $1600: Nowadays done digitally or with a filter, it's the brownish effect in the photo, making it look aged

ON THE MEDITERRANEAN $800: Straight to the point, it's the country shown here

ON THE MEDITERRANEAN $2000: The Mediterranean city of Cullera is in this eastern Spanish province that has an orange named for it
(Dan: What is Madeira?)

TRANSPORTATION MILESTONES $1200: Starting with the 1912 Cadillac, this car system was made electric--no more cranking
[Kate gave both listed responses.]

MUSIC MISHMASH $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Elvis Presley Birthplace in Tupelo, MS.) Here on the grounds of the Elvis Presley Birthplace complex is the actual Assembly of God church where Elvis was first exposed to this rich religious musical tradition, for which he won 3 Grammy Awards

MUSIC MISHMASH $2000: Mac Dre's influential 1998 gangsta rap album was titled "Don't Hate the Player", do this instead
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
The New York Times
Kevin Dillon
Luther Burbank
pharynx & larynx
Tel Aviv
the scapula
the pituitary
the Franco-Prussian War
Harare (Zimbabwe)
George Westinghouse
macadam
Christie & Cuomo
Casey Affleck
(Julius) Caesar
The Fountainhead
a shrubbery
cloture
the aorta
sepia
Morocco
Valencia
the starter or ignition
gospel
hate the game
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Governors
Governors of adjacent states, these 2 ex-prosecutors are also adjacent on an alphabetical list of governors.

Spoiler
Who are Christie and Cuomo? Kate had no guess.

Dan Feitel: $18,000+$0=$18,000...now a 2-day champion with $45,599
Kate Cox: $7,000-$6,999=$1
Jane Longacre: (-$2,000)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed May 27, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That was sad to watch Dr. Jane flame out on those medical questions. I was not much better, but then people don't trust me with their children's health. The best I could come up with for rhyming parts was trachea and brachia, which I know is not correct. But for scapula I said shoulder bone. Judges?

I got the TS Harare and had FJ instantly due to J's east coast bias. No way will they ever ask about the governors of Washington and Oregon. In any clue about two bordering state governors, expect New York to be one of them.

I was cheering for the lovely Kate and am sorry to see her go.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

floridagator wrote:had FJ instantly due to J's east coast bias. No way will they ever ask about the governors of Washington and Oregon. In any clue about two bordering state governors, expect New York to be one of them.
Another part where Canadians are at a disadvantage. "Governors? OK, well I know Brown in California, and ...

This is going to be a long 30 seconds."
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WLT Caesar or Mother Teresa at $200?

How should I know that Uncle Sam's handkerchief = Delaware? That seems like it could be any of the tiny states in the mid-Atlantic.

Other Acting Brothers was entirely over my head.

NHO Franz Ferdinand.

All but Kendo in 5 Letters.

I couldn't think of the term "control tower" and ended up 0/5 in Transportation. WLT Toronto at $800?

Seville for Valencia (Fentiman's makes an excellent Seville orange pop) had me 4/5 in Mediterranean.

No guess on FJ! No way you're getting this unless you know all your governors ever, alphabetically.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Instaget, but seriously stupid clue for an FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Toronto at $800?
Ontario
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ. You'll never guess why.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No way was I getting FJ.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations to Dan on his second win. I had 39 correct responses including five triple stumpers: Luther Burbank, pharynx and larynx, pituitary, George Westinghouse, and macadam. I got FJ, but it took me 10 to 15 seconds.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Caesar or Mother Teresa at $200?

NHO Franz Ferdinand.
a) stabbing
b) nun
c) he famously fronts a scottish pop band
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I understand that after the show Cloture's mom approached Dan and gave him a talking to.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

That was a bad day for the pediatrician, losing in large part because she missed two medical clues.

Regarding her interview, what vaccines do we have today that we didn't have 32 years ago?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote:That was a bad day for the pediatrician, losing in large part because she missed two medical clues.

Regarding her interview, what vaccines do we have today that we didn't have 32 years ago?
Chicken pox.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

having lived in new york for almost all my life, and having since retired to new jersey, final jeopardy was instant.

however, i take exception to the description of chris christie as a "prosecutor." yes, he surely was appointed as the united states attorney for new jersey on the basis of his talent at fund-raising. but no one who has the least knowledge of his personal demeanor has ever considered that he might be a star courtroom lawyer. indeed, one of the assistant u.s. attorneys who served under him has been quoted as saying that christie didn't even know how to file a motion in federal court.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

opusthepenguin wrote:I understand that after the show Cloture's mom approached Dan and gave him a talking to.
<like>

I got FJ correct because, if it wasn't them, I had no idea who it was.

I was rooting for Kate to make a game of it; alas, it was not to be.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

I was feeling good about Brown and Brewer until that house of cards crumbled
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote:I got FJ correct because, if it wasn't them, I had no idea who it was.
Same here, only substitute "wrong" for "correct" and omit everything from comma 1 to comma 2.
Linear Gnome wrote:I was rooting for Kate to make a game of it; alas, it was not to be.
Me too. I was especially hopeful when Dan momentarily stumbled on what turned out to be the last clue. He had Kate locked out but rang in anyway. Then he stopped and stared, as though his brain wasn't going to cough up the correct response in time. Then he got it and had even more of a runaway.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

FJ - all I could come up with were Martinez and Napolitano, though I was pretty sure Napolitano isn't governor now.