Wednesday, May 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

grindcore wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Caesar or Mother Teresa at $200?

NHO Franz Ferdinand.
a) stabbing
b) nun
c) he famously fronts a scottish pop band

a) Because he was the only famous person ever stabbed, right? b.) Nun was in the clue?
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

Fishercat wrote:I was feeling good about Brown and Brewer until that house of cards crumbled
Me too for a few seconds, until I realized, "Hey, I'm from New Jersey so I'd better get this!" I was afraid I'd have to click the box of shame this week.
I had 40 R/ 1 W and $28000 (got The Fountainhead on a bounce). Ran the Mediterranean (geography is my wheelhouse) and great American novels (lit is one of my weak points). Another low combined Coryat tonight, but at least a sensible wager by the returning champ. The pediatrician is going to have a tough time explaining those anatomy misses.
Hoping for a third lap
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
grindcore wrote:

NHO Franz Ferdinand.
a) stabbing
b) nun

a) Because he was the only famous person ever stabbed, right? b.) Nun was in the clue?
other than the time my friend chet started singing "don't worry be happy" at a hell's angels funeral, i can't think of too many gang stabbings that are top-row clue material.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Nov (5), Mur (4), Sob (1), Aye (1), Bro (2), "Rub" (3)
Med (4), Mus (3), Ana (1), Trans (2), 19th (4), 5-Letter (4)

Lach Trash: "pituitary gland", "Franco-Prussian War"

Just thinking of notable governors, and the adjacent geographically hint made it pretty easy for me.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

dhkendall wrote: Another part where Canadians are at a disadvantage. "Governors? OK, well I know Brown in California, and ...

This is going to be a long 30 seconds."
This is actually exactly how my thought process went for FJ. Needless to say, I missed it.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

econgator wrote:but seriously stupid clue for an FJ.
Agreed...
If you don't know it right away, you'll never figure it out in 30 seconds.
Last edited by Category 13 on Wed May 27, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

The Talking Mime wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Another part where Canadians are at a disadvantage. "Governors? OK, well I know Brown in California, and ...

This is going to be a long 30 seconds."
This is actually exactly how my thought process went for FJ. Needless to say, I missed it.
I doubt that most Americans could name more than 5. Fortunately for me, my mind went straight to NY/NJ, and Christie/Cuomo are maybe the only 2 (other than the governor of my home state) who I would've thought of in 30 seconds.
Sheepin' it real.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

My first thought was Brown (CA) and Brewer (AZ) - contiguous states and close alphabetically - so I didn't look any further. I doubt I would have thought of Christie and Cuomo even without that side step, not in 30 seconds anyway, though who knows. It had to be a couple of pretty prominent governors/states for them to have any expectation of contestants getting it.

On another note - TPTB at J! just LOVE Luther Burbank. I don't suppose he is so well-known outside of southern California, but it's very much worthwhile to commit that name to memory as a botanist. Also, remember BurbanK + russet potato (an audition/online test question in the past.)
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bamaman wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:That was a bad day for the pediatrician, losing in large part because she missed two medical clues.

Regarding her interview, what vaccines do we have today that we didn't have 32 years ago?
Chicken pox.
And HPV.
And shingles (which may be a variation of the chicken pox vaccine).

Chicken pox vaccine came out in the mid/late 1990s, shortly after my son had it. I've never had it (and for that reason I am glad - means I don't have to worry about shingles). When he came down with it, I told my boss that we needed to prepare about a week's worth of work I could do at home, just in case. Fortunately, it didn't happen. My sister, though, came down with it from a visit she'd made prior to his symptoms (when it's contagious), and came down with it.
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:I doubt that most Americans could name more than 5. Fortunately for me, my mind went straight to NY/NJ, and Christie/Cuomo are maybe the only 2 (other than the governor of my home state) who I would've thought of in 30 seconds.
Well, I knew it wasn't going to be George Wallace. :o
I instantly went with Cuomo because he was a pretty aggressive prosecutor in his day; started trying to come up with governors around NYS, and could only come up with Christie. Never knew his as a prosecutor, but the name fit the "proximity" clue, so I went with it.
Kid Charlemagne
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kid Charlemagne »

nlw44 wrote:My first thought was Brown (CA) and Brewer (AZ) - contiguous states and close alphabetically - so I didn't look any further. I doubt I would have thought of Christie and Cuomo even without that side step, not in 30 seconds anyway, though who knows. It had to be a couple of pretty prominent governors/states for them to have any expectation of contestants getting it.

On another note - TPTB at J! just LOVE Luther Burbank. I don't suppose he is so well-known outside of southern California, but it's very much worthwhile to commit that name to memory as a botanist. Also, remember BurbanK + russet potato (an audition/online test question in the past.)
Brewer's not Governor of AZ anymore, and neither of them was a prosecutor. Wiki says Brewer doesn't have a college degree. Brown was an attorney but not (technically) a prosecutor; he was Secretary of State and I guess in California that does involve going after election law violators, so if Brewer had been AG (like so many governors) you'd actually have a good case to be ruled correct there IMO.

I felt like I picked up a lot of Lach Trash in this game for the second day in a row.
Yes, there's gas in the car.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

floridagator wrote:That was sad to watch Dr. Jane flame out on those medical questions. I was not much better, but then people don't trust me with their children's health. The best I could come up with for rhyming parts was trachea and brachia, which I know is not correct. But for scapula I said shoulder bone. Judges?

I got the TS Harare and had FJ instantly due to J's east coast bias. No way will they ever ask about the governors of Washington and Oregon. In any clue about two bordering state governors, expect New York to be one of them.

I was cheering for the lovely Kate and am sorry to see her go.
Sorry, there is no such article as a 'shoulder bone' in human bods. The shoulder is a complex of ligaments and fascia and has remarkably little bony material in it. The humerus articulates with the glenoid process of the scapula and are encapsulated in dense matte of fibrous bands that gives the rounded shape to shoulder. Because the glenoid is a shallow face and not a true socket joint like the hip, it easily dislocates, both posteriorly and anteriorly, which is quite painful and frightening.

Strong game for goats with 46R and LT: 1870 Franco-Prussian war, asked earlier this season and still a TS; Harare = Fort Salisbury of yore; prolactin is in pituitary, Luther Burbank was a plant scientist from Cali, "Mr Potato" among others.

Other odds & ends: Get on the Fountainhead for Roark, although he appears in both books (Atlas Shrugged), his principal role was introduced in the F'head. Always confusing and frequently asked! Absalom! Absalom! alliterative TOM, lol. Macadam = pavement named for a Scot, recurring. Oddly, 'tarmac' is a contraction of 'tar macadam' which was negged, hmmmmmkay!? :?

No chance on FJ; I recalled that Brown in CA has same name as Brown in OR, also neighboring, so I gave; "Brown" but they weren't prosecutors in retrospectometer.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

nlw44 wrote:My first thought was Brown (CA) and Brewer (AZ) - contiguous states and close alphabetically - so I didn't look any further. I doubt I would have thought of Christie and Cuomo even without that side step, not in 30 seconds anyway, though who knows. It had to be a couple of pretty prominent governors/states for them to have any expectation of contestants getting it.

One reason I never forget Luther Burbank; he was so famous at the time that when the folks at what is now DC wanted a supremely intelligent character, they chose his name for part of the character's name. That's how we wound up with Lex Luthor. (Which wasn't pronounced "Lu-THOR" until Ned Beatty got a hold of it, I'm fairly sure.)

The friendship between Christie and Cuomo has to be one of the oddest things I've seen in 35+ years of observing politics. But it is hard to forget once you know of it.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

floridagator wrote: I got the TS Harare and had FJ instantly due to J's east coast bias. No way will they ever ask about the governors of Washington and Oregon. In any clue about two bordering state governors, expect New York to be one of them.
Heh, east coast bias. The same east coast bias that gave us a markedly obscure UC Berkeley FJ. Maybe just go with coastal bias. :D

I managed to remember Cuomo at the 20 second mark (after bouncing all over the country... Brown? Walker? Pence? Abbott? Wait, NY guy, he's one!), but I couldn't have gotten Christie in time. Would've been an LL get.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
grindcore wrote:

NHO Franz Ferdinand.
a) stabbing
b) nun

The laurel leaves on the victim's head was a dead giveaway too, only one person in art has those all the time, and it's Caesar. Just like another JC is always depicted with a halo, this JC is always depicted with a crown of laurel leaves.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

nlw44 wrote: On another note - TPTB at J! just LOVE Luther Burbank. I don't suppose he is so well-known outside of southern California, but it's very much worthwhile to commit that name to memory as a botanist. Also, remember BurbanK + russet potato (an audition/online test question in the past.)
Don't forget Mendel, another famous J!-worthy botanist. So much so I wouldn't call this Pavlov material yet.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was only a matter of which player would guess Crimean War when the Franco-Prussian War clue came up. Just as certain was no one getting Westinghouse. Burbank I had hope would not be a stumper, but tonight it was an 0-fer.

Many nights I use the break to precall off the FJ! category. Tonight I instead checked in on the Warriors, Ducks/Hawks, and MLB scoreboard.

Using just think time the clue was a miss and I'll join in with all the others here who did not get it. I knew Brown was not part of the combination. I thought of Christie, had no idea of his background and moved on. Brainstorming governors is not for me. Instead I tried thinking of 2016 presidential candidates and who might be a governor.

I still had no combination to guess. To have something on the paper I scribbled Jindal and Johnson.

Yeah of course it's NY/NJ. For this kind of clue it's natural that the list of 50 states is going to be narrowed greatly to limited possibles. What I can't know is if I could have recalled Cuomo in 30 seconds if I had logically considered NY.

Advantage Dan for both his state of origin and Wednesday draw. A 16600 Coryat in a 23200 Combined Coryat game better be a runaway, but he should have been able to inflict even more damage on the scoreboard. Sitting on his wallet and keeping it closed I fully support on that category.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Caesar
Dude. They showed a drawing of him. Clue referenced him getting stabbed in the first century.

TenPoundHammer wrote:How should I know that Uncle Sam's handkerchief = Delaware? That seems like it could be any of the tiny states in the mid-Atlantic.
Even if you don't know, you can figure it out because Delaware is the right size, shape, and position to simulate a pocket square in a man's jacket.

TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO Franz Ferdinand.
Yes, you have. You absolutely have. There's a clue about him every 20 games.

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Toronto at $800?
City in Ontario with subway. It was the first, the last, the only one. Even if you don't know for certain that Ottawa, London, Hamilton, Thunder Bay, Sudbury, Kingston, Windsor, Napanee, Winchester, and Atikokan DON'T have subways, you should know that Toronto does.

TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! No way you're getting this unless you know all your governors ever, alphabetically.
No, you don't need to know all the governors ever. You only need to know the current ones that the clue asked about. As I pointed out, the show's east coast bias should lead you to New York. The governor of New York is Andrew Cuomo. If you think about bordering states to New York, it is inevitable to think of Chris Christie, governor of New Jersey. Problem solved. No need to even know that Christie was a prosecutor.

The clues are written so that even someone who doesn't have everything memorized can figure out most of them in the time allotted.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Dan's playing well. Well played, Dan.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,200
45 R/0 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: Luther Burbank, larynx/pharynx (DD)

I cannot express how much I detest this FJ! I might have gotten it in-studio just because I wouldn't have a fast forward button and would spend several minutes trying to come up with a governor for each state, but this is just not a fair clue to be able to tease out in 30 seconds. Mark, can we poll the number of people who got this one in the first five seconds?
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote:Even if you don't know, you can figure it out because Delaware is the right size, shape, and position to simulate a pocket square in a man's jacket.
Still not seeing it. Who's to say that RI or MA aren't if you have to fudge it that badly? Or NJ?
floridagator wrote:No, you don't need to know all the governors ever. You only need to know the current ones that the clue asked about. As I pointed out, the show's east coast bias should lead you to New York. The governor of New York is Andrew Cuomo. If you think about bordering states to New York, it is inevitable to think of Chris Christie, governor of New Jersey. Problem solved. No need to even know that Christie was a prosecutor.

The clues are written so that even someone who doesn't have everything memorized can figure out most of them in the time allotted.
Cuomo's name is vaguely familiar, but I can't say I know anything of Christie other than "person that exists".

And yes, it totally makes sense that a show based in California would have a NY bias.