Tuesday, January 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

marpocky wrote:I went 3/5 on Jonathan Swifties.
I ran the category, but I'm too modest to point that out.

On the other hand, I got 7 clues total in the DJ round--8 if "classical" was an acceptable description of the NYSE's architecture style. It was like a nightmare, only I wasn't actually a contestant. (Phew!) Plus, I was fully clothed. As far as you guys know.
karoliner
Valued Contributor

Post by karoliner »

I didn't think I'd ever miss a question on Peter the Great, but that was a close one. I was so confused by the clue I kept trying to think of a city that has 2 names in it. Half way through Peter the Great came to me out of nowhere. I knew he was born in 1672 so it must be him, but it took me another second or two to figure out how St. Petersburg represents 2 people.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Any sci-fi fans get a V/Morena Baccarin/Anna vibe from Jennifer?
Well now I do.
Same here. It makes sense in retrospect, but I totally didn't catch it at the time. :)

Btw, I totally thought of you, Opus, when the Bloom County clue came up. Not that it helped me get it right or anything... :P

Ran Comics Strip (I said afterwards, "I guess I know a lot about naked comedians..."), and didn't think the boards were too bad. Type A and Can Berra got a combination of a laugh and a groan from me. :D

Lost beyond all reason on FJ. At the beginning I hopelessly joked, "That...one guy?", and by the end I wasn't much farther...my eventual response was "Paul...someone?" :oops:
Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

opusthepenguin wrote:Mrs. Penguin also requests a ruling. 'GOING TOO "FUR"' had the clue "Rolled up, like a flag or a boat's sails". She said "furl" rather than "furled". Is this one of those things where the judges wouldn't care or one where they'd insist on the proper tense?
Usually, if the clue dictates one tense but the contestant gives another, they accept it. "Furl" still meets the requirements of the category, so it's good.
billy pilgrim wrote:I got hung up on the wording of FJ."" Named for both..." I mean if the guy was named for a saint they both have the same name by definition. So i was thinking what both? Am i missing something? Bah ba bah bababa. CRAP.
Exactly how I felt on the last Kids' Week game last season. The clue was If he had been his own country, at the 2008 Summer Olympics he would have tied for ninth in gold medals, and I had no idea what "If he had been his own country" was supposed to mean.
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

opusthepenguin wrote:What a horrible Double Jeopardy round! I need a ruling from the judges to find out just how horrible. Bryan's response of "neoclassic" was ruled correct for the type of architecture being shown. I just said "classical". Any architecture mavens know whether that's acceptable?
Wouldn't consider myself a maven, per se, but you'd get a neg from me, as "neo" is the key part of the response, indicating a revival of the classical style.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

xxaaaxx wrote:Another somewhat ugly DJ round. That Sounds like Capitals category...UGH. Type A? Can Berra?!? I hate these writers sometimes.

Instaget FJ. Probably would've WAGged Peter off the year alone, saint + city was probably one TOM too many.

Hope Dan makes it to 5 days; even with a 4th win, I'm not sure his money total would hold up
I thought the Sounds Like Capitals category was kinda fun. Don't remember them all offhand, and didn't get them all in time, but do remember getting Bern and Canberra and I think 1-2 others.

We all have categories we HOPE-HOPE-HOPE won't be on the board when we become contestants. And others we dearly look forward to. The writers can't please everyone all the time, and it must be incredibly hard to come up with yet another five clues on bodies of water that aren't all repeats of the tens of thousands of clues from previous shows.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

econgator wrote:
Budphrey wrote:Question: Should Bryan have been negged when he responded "Who is Cohen?" It's my impression that that particular actor's surname is "Baron Cohen," and the "Cohen" response is rather like responding "Who is Smith?" for Michael Nesmith.
Should it be negged? Yes. Has it ever been? Not that I can see. Twice before "Cohen" has been accepted.
I'm not sure that "Baron Cohen" is his surname. He went briefly as Sacha Cohen once he got away from his Ali G schtick, but there was a female figure skater than came on the scene right about that time, also named Sacha Cohen. That's when he threw the "Baron" in.

Which is to say, just "Cohen" is correct in my book.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

"Baron Cohen" is the family name, just "Cohen" is wrong. He's like the opposite of Arthur Conan Doyle. ACD was born simply "Doyle" and Conan was his middle name that turned into a two-word last name at some point, probably as an affectation of sorts, and is now commonly accepted as his last name. But Baron Cohen has always been Baron Cohen, and so have his family members.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

barandall800 wrote:Btw, I totally thought of you, Opus, when the Bloom County clue came up. Not that it helped me get it right or anything... :P
It's sad when the classics are neglected.

The first four books of Bloom County strips can be had used for a penny each (plus shipping) on Amazon.

Loose Tails
Toons for Our Time
Penguin Dreams and Stranger Things
Billy and the Boingers Bootleg

The whole lot will set you back less than 15 bucks. Well worth it. Plus, if you send them my way first, I'll autograph them for you. Only ... well ... this is kind of embarrassing, but for reasons of legality and integrity and all...
Spoiler
I'm not the real Opus the Penguin.
Sigh.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

For FJ, I was about as far away from Russia as possible while still being on Earth. How is it possible that St. Petersburg wasn't founded until 1703? This is shocking news to me and evidence that "Visit St. Petersburg" needs to be bumped up on my Bucket List.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

marpocky wrote:Not that it mattered, but wow, MAJOR overwager by 3rd place there. 801-1600 ensures you win on a sole get or triple stumper.

In addition to the standard 2nd place overwager, of course.
are you shocked to see this? seriously, bad wagering is so commonplace....
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

vellore wrote:I must echo Alex's enthusiasm. That game was a lot of fun to watch, competitive throughout, and featuring three players it was easy to like. Hard to know who to root for. Loved Bryan's "This is gettin' fun!" Was disappointed, though, in the lack of response to the Jonathan Swift category...

Said Louis XIV for FJ, thinking of Saint Louis.
For some odd reason, so did I. I was only about 34 years off on the date of birth, not to mention the Sun King probably had little to nothing to do with the founding of the city in Missouri. Other than that, perfectly reasonable guess. For some other odd reason never got around to thinking of anyone else.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Snaxx wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:That Sounds like Capitals category...UGH. Type A? Can Berra?!? I hate these writers sometimes.
I think they should...
Spoiler
Bern
... that whole category. Or "Can" (meaning Fire) it.
It was a Dili of a category...

I don't mind quotation categories in general, but the Swifties seemed too obscure. 'Laws' was the only one I'd pull the trigger on, but since it's a quote, you have to get the *right* word.

Disappointed at the uncovered clues, I figured Indian and/or Triumph would have been under the motorcycle brands and I bet I could've picked up at least two of the three tectonics ones...would've traded the entire capital city cat for those five clues :D

Peter the Great wasn't instant, but pretty close. The year was the biggest help for me.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I was a bit stunned at all the unanswered clues in this game. I picked up three of them in the first round, then Bern, Casement, Gropius, Suzuki, and Kawasaki in the DJ round for $8,200 in Lach Trash. My highest in a long, long time. Most of those weren't that hard, IMO, that three qualified contestants would all miss.

Dan will have to do a lot better than he's done so far to be a factor in the ToC, if he can get there at all. Any win is a good win, but his 3-day total is well under what most 2-day champs total. See if he can improve that average tonight....
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

ABC broke in with a Captain Obvious announcement on the primary.
Precalled Catherine on FJ, easy to switch to Peter. Easy trash pickup on Motorcycles and Swifties.
Last edited by DBear on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CGeditor
Valued Contributor

Post by CGeditor »

I precalled "Fur Elise" too.
Bryan was very fun to watch!
For FJ, I initially thought of St. Petersburg, then switched to Santa Anna (d'oh!).
Wish I had had the "Cathy" clue during my game (since that's my name) ;)
Overall, good game!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

CGeditor wrote: Wish I had had the "Cathy" clue during my game (since that's my name) ;)
Cathy Geditor?
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

I don't get how a few of you can say Gropius was an easy selection?

Gropius first does not have a German feel to it(IMO). I had thought of Van Der Meer but that was a scientist so wrong of course.

After researching, I see Mies van der Rohe was the one that I had thought.
He had worked with Le Corbusier AND Gropius.

Even had one had known all three were affiliated together, in say 3-5 sec's, can you so surely respond which of them were German? In addition, I would think most probably one would slip one's tongue saying something one isn't too accustomed to. Not exactly clear-cut letterings come to mind.

Any insight on this or a mnemonic would be appreciated.
CGeditor
Valued Contributor

Post by CGeditor »

alietr wrote:
Cathy Geditor?
Close, but not quite :D

My last name does start with the same first three letters as Ms. Guisewite's! :o
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

CyrusChan wrote:I don't get how a few of you can say Gropius was an easy selection?

Gropius first does not have a German feel to it(IMO). I had thought of Van Der Meer but that was a scientist so wrong of course.

After researching, I see Mies van der Rohe was the one that I had thought.
He had worked with Le Corbusier AND Gropius.

Even had one had known all three were affiliated together, in say 3-5 sec's, can you so surely respond which of them were German? In addition, I would think most probably one would slip one's tongue saying something one isn't too accustomed to. Not exactly clear-cut letterings come to mind.

Any insight on this or a mnemonic would be appreciated.
Part of the clue was "...he moved the school..." German architectural school => Bauhaus => Gropius.
None of the others are associated as heavily with teaching, at least not where Jeopardy! is concerned.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)