Tuesday, June 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7097, 2015-06-23

CONTESTANTS
Matt Pressman, a graduate student in history from Somerville, Massachusetts
Donna Normington, an office manager from Mesa, Arizona
Sacha Samotin, a student from Naples, Florida (whose 1-day cash winnings total $19,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hi, folks. Good to have you with us again today. This is the third week in a row, I believe, in which a champion on Friday was unable to defend successfully the following Monday, and as a result, we have Sacha, the new champion. Will he be the champion at the end of the week? There are many miles to go before he sleeps. Donna and Matt are here to stop him in his winning ways. Let's see what happens. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. First round of play today has these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NEW YORK POLITICIANS (5/5)
DISCOGRAPHIES (5/5)
6-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
TOOLS (5/5)
LITERARY CHARACTERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SPOT THE IM‑PASTA (5/5) (Alex: We want you to [*]: the one item in the clue that is not a pasta.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 17 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Donna: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Sacha: 7 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matt: $5,200
Sacha: $1,400
Donna: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I thought we might talk about relationships with our significant others on the program today. Matt Pressman, tell me how you met your wife.

Matt: We went on a backpacking trip. It was our college freshman orientation. Uh, but neither of us was a very accomplished backpacker. And, uh, we were the worst two hikers in the group, I have to say.

Alex: So, am I correct in assuming that you have not gone backpacking together since that day?

Matt: That's correct. Hiking a little bit, but just little day hikes without a 50-pound pack on the back.

Alex: Okay, well, that's smart.

Alex: Donna Normington, office manager from Mesa, Arizona, tell me about your wedding.

Donna: Oh, we got married at the Arizona Renaissance Festival.

Alex: In costume?

Donna: Yes, absolutely in costume. My husband's mother was very nice, and she made all the costumes and the cake, actually. And most of our guests dressed up, and, uh, even the photographers dressed up. And it was a really lovely day.

Alex: You showed up on horseback?

Donna: No, no.

Alex: Were there knights in attendance?

Donna: Yes, as far as we were concerned, there were, yeah.

Alex: Okay, it was fun.

Donna: It was very fun.

Alex: All right. Good.

Alex: Sacha Samotin is our champion. I want you to tell me about the best gift your girlfriend ever bought for you.

Sacha: So, I--I love cooking. I love food. I like cheese. And she got me a fondue pot last year. And since then, I've been making everyone suffer by trying my fondue that I believe successively is getting better, but...

Alex: It wasn't too good at the beginning?

Sacha: You'll have to ask them. I'm not sure. I think it was great.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Sacha had $1,600, Donna had $2,200, and Matt was at $8,800. Matt wagered $2,000.

LITERARY CHARACTERS $800: This literary character's father works for Mr. Scrooge

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matt: $13,600
Donna: $2,600
Sacha: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LINES IN THE SAND (1/3)
HISTORICAL FILMS (5/5)
A WORLD OF ART (3/5)
ALPHANUMERICS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
U.S. AREAS & TERRITORIES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
3-"SY"LLABLE WORDS (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with "S-Y" and contain three syllables.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Sacha: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Donna: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Sacha had $1,000, Donna had $2,600, and Matt was at $14,800. Matt wagered $4,000.

U.S. AREAS & TERRITORIES $1200: In 1988 Congress authorized a natl. park in this territory south of the equator to preserve its rain forest
(Matt: What is Guam?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sacha who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Sacha had $5,800, Donna had $6,600, and Matt was at $16,800. Sacha made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,800.

ALPHANUMERICS $1600: The first swine flu, identified in 1930, was caused by this alphanumeric virus; in 2009 it was back
(Sacha: What is H5N1?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A WORLD OF ART $1600: He began painting "The Falling Angel" in 1923, shortly after emigrating from the Soviet Union; it was completed in 1947

A WORLD OF ART $2000: This Swiss-born artist painted camouflage on German airplanes during World War I

ALPHANUMERICS $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the Western Reserve Historical Society in Cleveland, OH.) While many cars carry a standard V8 engine, the 1932 all-aluminum Peerless would blow them off the road by generating nearly 175 horsepower with this giant of an engine
(Sacha: What is V12?)

3-"SY"LLABLE WORDS $2000: The higher number in 120/80 represents this type of blood pressure
(Donna: What is stystolic?)
[Originally ruled correct; reversed before Final Jeopardy!]

LINES IN THE SAND $1600: In 1924, this pres. of China said the Chinese people didn't have a national spirit but were "just a heap of loose sand"
(Sacha: Who is Chiang Kai-shek?)

LINES IN THE SAND $2000: This Shelley poem ends, "Round the decay of that colossal wreck... the lone and level sands stretch far away"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Matt: $18,800 (lock game)
Donna: $3,800
Sacha: $0

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: And darn, we won't have a chance to get to them, and that's bad news for Sacha. He has no money, so he will not be here to play in Final Jeopardy! He will wind up with $1,000 in third place. Donna and Matt are going into Final Jeopardy! with this category now in play...
Alex: During the break, our judges went to the tape and discovered that in the 3-"SY"LLABLE WORDS category, Donna misspoke. Instead of saying "systolic", she said "stystolic". And so, we've deducted $4,000 from her total.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FUN & GAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
Matt: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $11,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Donna: You've no hope of catching up... unless Matt does something stupid. So risk as much as $3,799; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A standard chessboard has this many perimeter squares

FINAL SCORES
Donna: $3,800 - $3,800 = $0 (What is 48 36?) (2nd place)
Matt: $18,800 - $5,000 = $13,800 (What is 36?) (New champion: $13,800)
(Alex: This is a little tricky. You have to remember that those corner squares overlap.)
(Alex: 8 to a side, less the 4 corners, 32 minus 4.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Matt: $21,600, 27 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Sacha: $5,800, 13 R, 7 W (including 1 DD)
Donna: $3,800, 10 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $31,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Matt: 27/60 = .450
Sacha: 13/59 = .220
Donna: 10/58 = .172
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
NEW YORK POLITICIANS $400: Charles is his given name, but come on--who calls him "Charles"?
(Alex: [Chuckling] Well, we'll accept that. They call him [*].)

SPOT THE IM‑PASTA $400: Manicotti,
mineola,
mostaccioli
(Alex: Yeah, it's a town.)

SPOT THE IM‑PASTA $600: Farandole,
fideo,
farfalloni
(Sacha: What is fideo?)
(Alex: It's a dance. Provençale.)

SPOT THE IM‑PASTA $800: Tortiglioni,
tortellini,
tortoni
(Alex: Ice cream.)

SPOT THE IM‑PASTA $1000: Campanelle,
cavatelli,
calamanco
(Alex: It's a fabric.)

TOOLS $400: Used for cutting grain, it's a hooklike blade on a short handle & was a symbol of the Soviet Union
(Sacha: What's a scythe?)

TOOLS $800: It'll mean everything to me if you name this tool used to make little holes

TOOLS $1000: A treasure of the British Museum is a 1.2 million-year-old stone one of these tools found at Olduvai Gorge
(Sacha: What is a hammer?)

A WORLD OF ART $800: The lesser known St. Roderick of Cordoba is depicted by one of this country's great 17th-century artists

3-"SY"LLABLE WORDS $400: Bisect the snowflake, & you'll see it has this quality

ALPHANUMERICS $400: A young Anakin Skywalker created this droid to help his mother with household chores
(Sacha: What is R2-D2?)

3-"SY"LLABLE WORDS $1600: This person tries to gain an advantage by flattering influential persons
(Alex: Yes, with a minute to go.)

ALPHANUMERICS $2000: Trainer Tony Horton created this alphanumeric "Extreme Home Fitness" regimen
(Donna: What is PX-90?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Tiny Tim
American Samoa
H1N1
Marc Chagall
Paul Klee
a V16
systolic
Sun Yat-sen
"Ozymandias"
Chuck Schumer (Charles Schumer accepted)
Mineola
farandole
tortoni
calamanco
a sickle
an awl
an axe (a hatchet accepted)
Spain
symmetry
C-3PO
a sycophant
P90X
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Fun & Games
A Standard chessboard has this many perimeter squares.

Spoiler
What is 28? Donna said 48; Matt said 36.

Matt Pressman: $18,800-$5,000=$13,800...now a 1-day champion with $13,800
Donna Normington: $3,800-$3,800=$0
Sacha Samotin: $0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Can't believe I missed that pathetically easy FJ. Naturally I spotted the so-simple-it-barely-qualifies-as-a-trap trap. So I figured 8 on four sides, but two of those sides get a corner taken away. 8+8+7+7=30. Boom. I'm done. I had 25 seconds to check my work and figured nah, I'm good.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Yikes. I'm a math teacher and I run a chess club at my high school so maybe I'm biased, but still... this should be a gimme...

Got Ozymandias thanks to Breaking Bad.
Last edited by OSXpert on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Even if they forgot about the corners...how the @#!& did they look at 8x4 and come up with 36??? :shock:

Then again I kinda stopped caring after Ozymandias was a TS.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote:Can't believe I missed that pathetically easy FJ. Naturally I spotted the so-simple-it-barely-qualifies-as-a-trap trap. So I figured 8 on four sides, but two of those sides get a corner taken away. 8+8+7+7=30. Boom. I'm done. I had 25 seconds to check my work and figured nah, I'm good.
To be fair, two other people missed it too, and it was more important for them. (Well, theoretically, as this was a triple lock game, or whatever you call it.)

I got it just the way Alex said I should get it, pictured a chess board in my mind, estimated that each side had 8 tiles, and figured out I had to subtract the doubly-counted corners. But then, for some reason, the 8+8+7+7 equation came into my head too, and I figured that's what I was doing and figured I should confirm by solving that equation. But then I realized my math skills are pitiful and figured I'd just stay with my 28 and figured 8+8+7+7 also was 28 and I didn't need to confirm it ...

I found the "Danish occupation" phrasing quite interesting in the US AREAS & TERRITORIES clue. Could it really be considered an "occupation"? If the Danish "occupied" the islands, then would their current situation be called an "American occupation"? Bit biased in their wording, methinks.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
brick

Post by brick »

Doh! 8 to a side, not 10! I stink on ice.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

It's not often that the defending champion ends up with zero (or less) like today. I had 39 correct responses including two triple stumpers: Marc Chagall and V-16. I also got the missed DD's of American Samoa and H1N1. I got FJ in about 10 seconds, adding the four 8-long sides (for 32) and then subtracting 4 so that the corners weren't counted twice.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OSXpert wrote:Got Ozymandias thanks to Breaking Bad.
Ditto.

And yeah, instaget.

I did mess up the V-16, though, blurting out W-16. Oops.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

OSXpert wrote:Yikes. I'm a math teacher and I run a chess club at my high school so maybe I'm biased, but still... this should be a gimme...

Got Ozymandias thanks to Breaking Bad.
And I got the American Samoa "territory South of the Equator" bit remembering the 1990 TofC final game two final J!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got FJ from doing 8x2 and then adding 6x2 for the squares in the middle.

Does a non-FJ person usually get to appear in the three wide shot shown in the "stay tuned" break before FJ.

So I'm locked out, but not totally out of it. Alex has given the time warning and we have one full category left. So let's go to the middle of the category and take my time asking for the clue and throw in some uhs to waste more time.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I said "Who is Schumer?" when they wanted "Who is Chuck Schumer?" but they accepted "Who is Charles Schumer?" which omitted the nickname, so would mine have been accepted too?

I went with scythe by mistake. Ouch. How could I have forgotten hammer and sickle?
Roland
Contributor

Post by Roland »

That was without question the easiest FJ I have seen T(D)S'd in a long long time.

And the guesses weren't even close.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

cosmos wrote:I said "Who is Schumer?" when they wanted "Who is Chuck Schumer?" but they accepted "Who is Charles Schumer?" which omitted the nickname, so would mine have been accepted too?

I went with scythe by mistake. Ouch. How could I have forgotten hammer and sickle?
I thought Donna was trying to be funny saying Charles and Alex seemed to slap her down.

I was surprised he missed it, but I was saddened to realize a player on the show is too young to remember the USSR.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:I was surprised he missed it, but I was saddened to realize a player on the show is too young to remember the USSR.
Oh, God, I did *not* need to hear that. (It pains me enough to have to explain it to my kids when I show them old globes.)

I just realized something even worse, *both* my kids, despite the fact that they are in middle school (well, the youngest starts middle school in September) and are getting older all the time, were born after 9/11! When we saw the 9/11 memorial at the International Peace Garden a year or so ago, I had to explain what happened on 9/11 and what it was all about since they had hardly any clue and don't have the vivid memories we all have.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The Teen Tournament players (and maybe some college players) don't remember 9/11.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Two shameful things today.

Didn't get ozymandis even though I am a BB fan. Didn't recognize the quoted text... Walter whites rendition of it is great.

Got FJ initially, but while crosschecking came up with 28. Boo hiss.

Wonder if sacha knew FJ. Well, if he did.. Those 4H's are the costliest letters he ever bought.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

To me, Alex did it the hard way.
The number of non-perimeter squares is 6x6=36.
Subtract that from the number of squares on a chessboard, 8x8=64, and you get 28.
Easy peasy.

edit: Bamaman, I think you meant subtract...

and people I know call Charles Schumer lots of things... :twisted:
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Did anyone else get Ozymandias from having read the poem? 8-)