Friday, January 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, January 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JFanForever »

I'm really fed up with myself. Here I'm thinking I was going to have a cake walk for Final Jeopardy and then I get that question. And LBJ is my favorite President and my idol. Ugh. But seriously, who would know that?

I got off to a rather sluggish start. Only 3 right before the first break. However I cleaned house on the Gluten-Free Food category. I do wish I got the DD. I guessed Magellan instead of Columbus. I was able to get to 10 right at the end of the first round.

Then the second round was very slow for everybody. I did 3/5 on the Colleges and Universities and I think only one on Rock & Roll with the Foo Fighters one. I guessed the Sex Pistols instead of the Clash. Got some right on the "And" category. Thankfully I ended DJ on a high note by correctly guessing the Volga.

But that FJ makes me so fuming mad. Got a total of 18 right today. 10 in round one and 8 in DJ. Not as good as yesterday but that edges out my performances on Tuesday and Wednesday.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Good luck tonight to Cindy Conaway, a fellow alumnus of Bowling Green State University's popular culture department!
ej!fan
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by ej!fan »

I, too, was confused by the FJ clue. How can something be "traditional" if it only happened once?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

13/30, 6/29.

DJ! as a whole seemed really tough, although I got all but Android in "And". I knew I was hosed on Rock & Roll when $400 was Pretenders, a band I've never heard of.

Poets for $800 had me thinking a humanoid animal character, or at least one who wears clothes. I almost blurted out Stuart Little.

Yes, I know what au jus is — they have that stuff at Arby's for crying out loud. No, I don't know HOW the hell you could get anywhere on that clue. It seemed wider open than Kansas to me.
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

ej!fan wrote:I, too, was confused by the FJ clue. How can something be "traditional" if it only happened once?
I was confused by that too, but I think the dinner itself is traditional, not that particular pair's dinner.

I went straight to JFK/LBJ, figuring lobster=New England=JFK, then hoped the beef was good enough for LBJ, and couldn't think of a better pairing so stuck with it.

Good job Preston, was definitely rooting for you, very sorry to see you lose on a rough FJ!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

WAGged Adams + Jefferson. Hopefully when I come back to this thread in a few hours, multiple people will have chimed in on the obvious TOM that I missed in that clue.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Kind of a lackluster game to watch. FJ was hopeless for me.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Preston, Preston, Preston... you had a chance to silence me once and for all, and you blew it! How could you?!

I'm just messing with you, of course. You played well... unfortunately, you stumbled at the worst possible time. You live by FJ and you die by FJ. Still, you can be proud of the fact that you even got on the show to begin with. That's something that I'll never do, so that's one advantage you have over me. :P
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Anyone else from the Detroit area watch this? If so, was it just me, or was the edit terrible? Think music lasted all of two seconds, no contestant interviews, if a question went unanswered they edited out the stand and stare and went immediately to Alex giving the correct response.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CrunchyTaco wrote:Anyone else from the Detroit area watch this? If so, was it just me, or was the edit terrible? Think music lasted all of two seconds, no contestant interviews, if a question went unanswered they edited out the stand and stare and went immediately to Alex giving the correct response.
Why would they edit it? Sounds like your affiliate was having the hiccups.

Also, note to self: learn more about colleges.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Preston, you did us all proud! You played a great game and you looked very polished up there...you must have had some good preparation.

Congrats to Brandon for winning his first two games on a single get FJ in both games. My hat goes off to him.

At first I thought that this was my dream board but it was probably on the easy side. I did know three $1000 clues that were triple stumpers: Philip K Dick, Battle of the Nile, and Yoplait. I doubt that will ever happen to me again.

The bottom three clues in the state nicknames category were brutal. I had never even vaguely heard of those. I did get Louisiana on a wag, but I never would have buzzed in on it unless it was a do or die situation.

The Chaucer clue at $400 in the Poets category was hard, I thought. I lost out on the 50 50 90 guess between Chaucer and Bunyan.

I went with Nixon and Ford on FJ. I figured it had to be a recent duo but I never got to JFK and LBJ. I think that it was kind of a dumb clue, but I understand the TOM.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

Is Brandon emanating special brain waves which disrupt the thought processes of his opponents in Final Jeopardy?

When, if ever, was the last time a champion won his first two games entering FJ in third place and giving the only correct response?
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

I thought there were a ton of crappy questions tonight, and FJ was the worst. You can reason out that lobster usually points to New England, but my logic pointed toward the Bush family, who famously have a house in Kennebunkport, Maine. And beef au jus, is that supposed to point at something? LBJ was Texan, they have cattle, but so do a lot of other states. Sheesh. I hate to see Preston lose on something truly trivial.

Good game, all three of you. :)
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

lisa0012 wrote:
I went straight to JFK/LBJ, figuring lobster=New England=JFK, then hoped the beef was good enough for LBJ, and couldn't think of a better pairing so stuck with it.
My thought process was similar. I thought to myself, "lobster=Massachusetts=JFK," and then beef=Texas=Johnson confirmed it for me.

In the state license plates category, did anyone else get Utah as a result of remembering the following game? http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2179
davey

Post by davey »

lisa0012 wrote:
ej!fan wrote:I, too, was confused by the FJ clue. How can something be "traditional" if it only happened once?
I was confused by that too, but I think the dinner itself is traditional, not that particular pair's dinner.
I take it that the tradition is that the entrees are traditional to their homes, Cape Cod and Texas. It seems rather obvious in retrospect, but I saw lobster and went too fast to George H.W. Bush and Quayle - I never gave thought to the second half of the clue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

For some reason, I never associated Utah with snow/skiing. I usually think of Colorado for that.

Utah I associate with Great Salt Lake, Mormons (did you know Brigham Young even founded a department store?), Osmonds, and SHeDAISY.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Suze wrote:I thought there were a ton of crappy questions tonight, and FJ was the worst. You can reason out that lobster usually points to New England, but my logic pointed toward the Bush family, who famously have a house in Kennebunkport, Maine. And beef au jus, is that supposed to point at something? LBJ was Texan, they have cattle, but so do a lot of other states. Sheesh. I hate to see Preston lose on something truly trivial.

Good game, all three of you. :)

How can you say FJ was a sham? Lobster points to New England like you say. You vie for Bush, how is Steak related to Cheney. Your argument would've been stronger had the other dish involved wheat or something.... no clue what he eats.

what other questions fit the crappy criterion you claim?
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Maine is the state known for lobster, not Mass. I'm from Massachusetts. They definitely have lobster fishing in Mass, and it's a popular food on the coast, but Mass isn't the lobster state, Maine is. Cheney can easily connect to beef, he's from Wyoming. I'm not saying JFK/LBJ isn't a legit response, it is, but it's a stupid question. Trivial, even. :P