Friday, July 17, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 17, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7115, 2015-07-17

CONTESTANTS
Julia Lawrence, an English teacher originally from Rye, New York
Lawrence Dernulc, a business manager originally from Salisbury, Maryland
Jennifer Morrow, an editorial assistant from New York, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $19,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hey, Johnny, thank you. Well, folks, as you've just noticed, our champion, Jennifer, brings a lot of physical energy to the show. Now that may not work for everybody. We're gonna find out in this half-hour with our newcomers, Julia and Lawrence. Welcome. Good luck. Let's go to work. And now the categories, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE SPORTING LIFE (3/4)
HISTORICAL NICKNAMES (5/5)
ACIDS (4/5)
"C" + 3 (3/4) (Alex: Each correct response begins with the letter "C" and has a total of four letters in it.)
WHAT'S YOUR SIGN? (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FOR SALE (1/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 9 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jennifer: 6 R, 0 W
Lawrence: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Julia: $2,600
Lawrence: $1,400
Jennifer: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: We often hear of strange goings-on in dorms in college. Julia Lawrence is a teacher now, but when she was in college, she had for a while--a whole year, I think--a strange roommate.

Julia: Well... [Sighs] It was thankfully only for a brief period of time. I had a roommate who was a biology major, so she spent quite a bit of time in the labs, and one day she returns holding this cardboard box, and something's making a noise inside the cardboard box, and I ask, "All right, what's in there?" And she said, "Oh, it's a chicken--a baby chicken." And it was adorable, but this chicken ended up being my roommate for a good month and a half of school. Now being a charitable type, I decided to name the chicken, and he was christened "Tyson".

[Laughter]

Alex: Oh. Hello. Okay.

[Laughter continues]

Alex: Lawrence Dernulc originally from Salisbury, Maryland. Comes from a large family. You come from a family of...

Lawrence: Uh, my father is actually, uh, one of 11 kids, so he's the eighth of 11, and I have, uh, 39 grandchildren on that side of the family. So 36 cousins, total. Uh, my mother's side of the family is a little bit smaller, more normal sized, only five cousins there, but it's--it's, uh, great to get back, the chance to go see everybody in the Chicago area where most of the people live and see them once a year, so...

Alex: My mother's from a family of 16. Parties at Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year's--wonderful, spectacular stuff.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay, Jennifer Morrow.

Jennifer: Yes.

Alex: This past year, we had Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks do some clues for us.

Jennifer: Mm-hmm.

Alex: You have a slight connection with Mel Brooks.

Jennifer: Well, uh, you know, this may surprise you, but I was a slightly strange child.

[Alex claps hands.]

[Laughter]

Jennifer: And so when I was in the fifth grade, we were asked to write an essay on the best day of our lives, and I chose the day I found out who Mel Brooks was. And my father thought the resulting essay was so cute, that he decided to mail it to Mel Brooks, and I was terrified. I said, "You can't mail it to him! I'm humiliated." But we got a wonderful letter back from his secretary, saying Mr. Brooks was so touched and honored that we--I chose to write about him for a school project and enclosed an autographed photo for me.

Alex: Good. Way to go.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julia found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. Jennifer had $800, Lawrence had $1,400, and Julia was at $2,600. Julia wagered $1,600.

WHAT'S YOUR SIGN? $1000: I'm this second sign of the zodiac, named for the kind oe creature that terrorized Crete in Hercules' time
(Julia: Ooh. Um... what is Leo?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE SPORTING LIFE $1000: This ritual is believed to have begun at the end of a 1931 soccer game when France beat England for the very first time
(Alex: And that ritual, now common, is [*]--sweaty jerseys.)

ACIDS $1000: This acid also known as vitamin c can be found in tomatoes & potatoes as well as citrus fruit
(Lawrence: What is citric acid?)
(Julia: What is acetic acid?)

FOR SALE $600: Garrard's Jewelers of London offered for sale a giant 40.63-carat fiery gem called a "Burmese" this
(Alex: ...with a minute to go, Julia.)

FOR SALE $1000: The Domelre, the first electric one of these, went on sale in Chicago in 1913; less emptying the drip pan!

"C" + 3 $1000: The heroic trumpet is an attribute of this muse
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Julia: $2,800
Jennifer: $2,600
Lawrence: $2,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 17, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PUNNY CLASSIC LITERATURE TITLES (4/5) (Alex: Now if you change just one letter in a classic novel title, you will come up with...)
JULY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"L"AKES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
INTERNATIONAL FILM DIRECTORS (5/5)
THE BISHOP (3/5)
IT'S A PALINDROME (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jennifer: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Lawrence: 10 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Julia: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lawrence snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Jennifer had $2,600, Lawrence had $3,400, and Julia was at $2,800. Lawrence made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,400.

"L"AKES $1600: You take the high road & I'll take the low road to Milarrochy Bay on this Scottish loch

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lawrence who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Jennifer had $9,000, Lawrence had $7,200, and Julia was at $5,600. Lawrence wagered $4,000.

JULY $1600: On July 30, 1975 he dined at a restaurant in Bloomfield Township, Michigan then got into a car & disappeared
(Alex: And we're still looking for him, yes.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"L"AKES $2000: Georgia's Blue Ridge Mountains are home to Lake Sidney this, named for a 19th c. Southern poet

THE BISHOP $1200: The bishop is the only chess piece that can never change this

PUNNY CLASSIC LITERATURE TITLES $2000: Mississippi-set novel about a place where stray dogs are kept that becomes the object of intense anger
(Julia: What is The Hound and the Fury?)

THE BISHOP $2000: Robert Browning's "The Bishop Orders His Tomb at St. Praxed's Church" is a "dramatic" this one-character outburst

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lawrence: $16,000
Jennifer: $13,800
Julia: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY AMERICANS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Lawrence: Wager $11,601 to cover Jennifer.
Jennifer: You have to wager $1,401 to cover Julia's doubled score, but certainly no more than $6,199, so as to force Julia to be right to have a chance at winning.
Julia: Think about risking $3,200 or less, thereby beating Lawrence on the Triple Stumper (should Lawrence wager to cover Jennifer's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An account of her historic trial noted, "It was conceded that the defendant was, on the 5th November 1872, a woman"

FINAL SCORES
Julia: $7,600 - $7,201 = $399 (Who is Lizzy Borden) (3rd place)
Jennifer: $13,800 + $4,000 = $17,800 (Who is Anthony?) (19201-day champion: $17,800)
Lawrence: $16,000 - $11,601 = $4,399 (Who is Scopes) (2nd place)
(Alex: [To Jennifer] [*], the suffragette who eventually brought about the change in our Constitution.)
(Alex: Practice your moves over the weekend.)
(Jennifer: Will do.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jennifer: $13,800, 16 R, 0 W
Lawrence: $11,800, 15 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Julia: $9,200, 15 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $34,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Jennifer: 17/58 = .293
Julia: 15/59 = .254
Lawrence: 15/60 = .250
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE SPORTING LIFE $400: A Taiwanese player's first MLB single in 2007 allowed Vin Scully to say this, echoing a famous comedy routine
(Alex: That's it, Chin-lung Hu.)

THE SPORTING LIFE $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew demonstrates and bops a volleyball.) In volleyball, overlap your hands, point your thumbs together and down & lock your elbows to get a flat forearm area to do this 4-letter pass, the classic first step in returning a serve

"L"AKES $1200: Sadly, the beautiful Chapel Bridge over this Swiss lake was badly damaged in a 1993 fire

INTERNATIONAL FILM DIRECTORS $1200: "For a Few Dollars More"
(1965)
(Lawrence: [Looks down, taps his signaling device rapidly on his lectern] ...No...)
(Alex: Oh, not a good time to draw a blank.)

JULY $800: In July 2014 the chain called this Tree agreed to buy Family this for 8.5 billion thises
(Lawrence: Uh, what are [*]s?)
[Accepted without comment]

PUNNY CLASSIC LITERATURE TITLES $800: Thackeray's novel about a woman inordinately proud of her flowing tresses
(Alex: With less than a minute to go, you are right.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Taurus (the bull)
the exchange of jerseys
ascorbic acid
ruby
a refrigerator
Clio
Loch Lomond
Jimmy Hoffa
Lanier
the color of the square it's on
The Pound and the Fury
a monologue
Susan B. Anthony
"Hu's on first?"
a bump
Lake Lucerne
(Sergio) Leone
dollar
Vanity Hair
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

19th Century Americans
An account of her historic trial noted, "It was conceded that the defendant was, on the 5th November 1872, a woman".

Spoiler
Who is Susan B. Anthony? Julia said Lizzie Borden; Lawrence said Scopes.

Lawrence Dernulc: $16,000-$11,601=$4,399
Jenifer Morrow: $13,800+$4,000=$17,800...now 37,000
Julia Lawrence: $7,600-$7,201=$399
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

If there's a tourney the next two weeks, Alex would say so in his end of regular season play "6-8 weeks for the champion to sit out" speech. No official previous reports say there is one
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Last clue in DJ! round BISHOP $2000: "Monologue" was given, would "soliloquy" work?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

She was much more reserved today. I loved that she got the kook clue in palindromes.

I had Borden for FJ. I did consider Anthony, but I could not think of a famous trial she was in. I know she was arrested for voting, but no specific trial came to mind.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:She was much more reserved today. I loved that she got the kook clue in palindromes.

I had Borden for FJ. I did consider Anthony, but I could not think of a famous trial she was in. I know she was arrested for voting, but no specific trial came to mind.
I spent way too long trying to figure out what the clue was asking. Around 15-17 seconds in I thought I had it figured out and was going for Lizzie Borden, but I couldn't pull her name in time. Had I figured it out earlier, and pulled Borden's name earlier, I *may* have discarded it for someone else (Anthony? I was kind of leaning that way after Borden was negged) in time, but I'll never know.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The bit about the trial specifying she was female made me doubt Borden, but I decided that was just something they did back then, especially if it was a violent murder charge.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Given Jennifer's Mel Brooks anecdote, hopefully she knows that he's a J! fan:
Judy5cents wrote:Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee" which airs on Crackle had a segment that mentioned Jeopardy! Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner are big Jeopardy! fans, they watch it together every night. It ended with the two of them watching TV as the Think Music played,

As someone who loves Mel Brooks, it's so cool thinking that for three days in April of 2012, Mel Brooks was watching me instead of me watching him. And maybe yelling "Judy! It's Stokowski not Tchaikovsky!" at the screen.
( http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=230&start=60 )
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but Hydrochloric in Acids. Lach Trash on "ascorbic".

I know nothing about Joan of Arc.

Ran Palindromes, all but "Vanity Hair" in Punny.

Instaget FJ!

Congrats to June Jennifer on another win.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

Did anyone else find it annoying with Julia saying "alright" every time she chose a clue?

I kept hearing the Peter Gunn theme when they went to The Bishop category thanks to Monty Python.

No clue on FJ but knew it wasn't Lizzy Borden since the date in the clue was too early for her.
Last edited by Lore on Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

In the NY/NJ area, the very beginning of the episode was interrupted by a train crash report. No dancing seen. :P

I have to say, I was so distracted by Julia's verbal tic ("OK .." "All Right .." "OK ..") that I didn't pay much attention to Jennifer. As someone who had something similar pointed out to me years ago (for me it was "Yeah, really..."), I couldn't help but assume this was Julia's theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SihoKQ-uLqE
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I had Borden for FJ. I did consider Anthony, but I could not think of a famous trial she was in. I know she was arrested for voting, but no specific trial came to mind.
Ditto.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Lore wrote:Did anyone else find it annoying with Julia saying "alright" every time she chose a clue?
Posted at the same time, Lore. See my post :lol:
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

For FJ, it took a bit to parse the clue, but then it clicked, relevant that "she was a woman" -> something women weren't allowed to do -> November -> voting -> Susan B. Anthony. Borden was at least a defensible guess, but Scopes!?
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations, Jennifer, on your second win! I had 33 correct responses including 5 triple stumpers: exchange of jerseys, ascorbic acid, ruby, refrigerator, and Lanier. My guess for FJ was Lizzie Borden; but it turns out that her trial was a couple of decades after Susan B. Anthony's trial.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Bamaman wrote:The bit about the trial specifying she was female made me doubt Borden, but I decided that was just something they did back then, especially if it was a violent murder charge.
I also said Borden, thinking that specifying she was a woman meant she wasn't a girl, ie she was an adult. The date didn't feel quite right but I couldn't remember for sure and couldn't think of anything else. Too bad I was only looking at the year. There has been at least one time in the past where they clued an election just by naming an early November date. I also knew Anthony was arrested for voting but never heard anything about the trial.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

29 right.

Sport (2), His (3), Acid (2), C+3 (2), Sign (2), Sale (2)
Classic (3), July (5), "L"ake (4), Film (1), Bishop (2), Palindrome (1)

Lach Trash: "Ruby", "Clio", "Lanier", "The Pound and the Fury"

I knew it wasn't Lizzie Borden as it was 20 years later, but during the reveals, I said "Victoria Hull", but I was actually thinking of Victoria Woodhull, the 1872 presidential candidate. It may have been a case of overthinking it as Susan B. Anthony is more of a common answer, but it would have been more frustrating for Woodhull to be correct when I didn't have the last name right.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I was taking a wild guess "I dunno. Susan B. Anthony, maybe?" when my mother said "Lizzie Borden". I immediately changed my mind to the wrong answer. :oops:
Teems with quiet fun.
brick

Post by brick »

MitchO wrote:In the NY/NJ area, the very beginning of the episode was interrupted by a train crash report. No dancing seen. :P
Sade Baderinwa handled that really quickly, for which I was grateful.