Friday, July 17, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, July 17, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Onairb »

I got FJ! because of the date, plus year (Have they ever given a date specifying the first week of November of an election year, and the clue didn't somehow connect to that election?)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $28,000
38 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: ascorbic acid, ruby, taurus (DD), the color of its square, The Pound and the Fury (rebound)

Jennifer was very enjoyable this game, and she once again played very well. Based on her story, I sort of wish she had reached into a scabbard and pulled out a little German.

FJ! was a great clue. I couldn't wrap my brain around why the defendant's being a woman would be a point of contention in a 19th century trial. Never considered that it could be a component of the crime. Went with Lizzie Borden.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

9021amyers wrote:The people who have seen the TD I'm hosting this week would have known the "Sporting Life" $800 clue immediately. (Please enter, I'm begging you! I don't know what the all-time record for low participation is, but I must be flirting with it.)
Your TD is ahead of this one: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2742
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:Last clue in DJ! round BISHOP $2000: "Monologue" was given, would "soliloquy" work?
That's a close call but I'm thinking not. Here's the technical distinction. Both dramatic monologue and soliloquy involve only one speaker. But in a dramatic monologue that speaker is speaking to someone. In a soliloquy the speaker is alone.

The Browning poem in the clue, "The Bishop Orders His Tomb at St. Praxed's Church," has the bishop speaking to his nephews and sons. It's definitely a dramatic monologue. On the other hand, Browning's poem "The Soliloquy of the Spanish Cloister" has the speaker addressing Brother Lawrence. Aha! you say. Vindication! Browning himself applied the term "soliloquy" to what is technically a dramatic monolgue. W-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l... not exactly. See, the speaker in "The Soliloquy of the Spanish Cloister" seems to be addressing Brother Lawrence sotto voce. He's not expecting to be heard.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

Vermonter wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Julia repeatedly saying "alright" didn't bug me too much but It would have gotten old by the end of a second or third game.
A wagering gaff cost her second place money and the chance to win on a TS.
How would she have won on a TS, unless she could wager negative money? She made the right play.

This Final was easy if you follow my This Day in History series: http://tfw.gr/tdih18jun15
OMG KEITH LIKED MY WAGER. THIS MAKES MY DAY, IT REALLY DOES.

Alex was SO disturbed by that wager. As mentioned in the July 16 thread, I apparently cannot do math on a Jeopardy! stage, and so it took me AGES to come up with that wager while the contestant coordinators gently and not-so-gently prodded and Alex did his best to entertain the audience. At one point, I heard, "MATH NOT YOUR STRONG SUIT, JENNIFER?" and I looked up from my Sharpie-on-scrap-papering (that was part of the problem, I was doing the most important math equation of my life with a marker on a canvas the size of a receipt, and so it was all just black scribbles to me after a certain point), and there was Alex, head resting on his fist, elbow resting on desk, just wearily smiling at me from a few feet away. And of course, even though I'm actually PRETTY GOOD AT MATH in my daily life, you can't contradict Alex, so I said something along the lines of how my father and brother were both in math-related fields, and I was afraid that they would judge me if I got it wrong, which is why it was taking so long. You know, confirming that I was having a rough time without actually coming straight out and saying "INDEED IT IS NOT." And then I won the game, so clearly it worked. But yeah, that didn't help my anxiety any.

Anyway, the post-game chat largely consisted of Alex curiously asking, "But really, how did you come to that wager?" and me yelling, "I DON'T KNOW!" to his growing horror, because I couldn't admit to Alex freakin' Trebek that his new two-time champ had regressed to the math skills of a kindergartener under the lights. I think part of Monday's post-game chat was just him going, "BUT REALLY, HOW..." based on Friday's game, with the exact numbers fresher in his mind than they were in mine. There was some number he had picked that he was SURE I was going to wager, even though I knew it would have cost me on a Triple Stumper. I was extremely disappointed afterwards, because if I had been in a better headspace, I would have been in the PERFECT POSITION to finally explain to him the whole concept of strategic wagering from the second-place position. I'm sorry, guys, I let us all down.

ALSO... ALSO ALSO. I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS. For some reason, my memory of the game over the last few months had me wagering some silly odd number like $4600. I CANNOT BELIEVE I WAGERED $4000. I love "Just Wager $4000" so much, and it must have stuck in my brain as the right thing to do. I am so freaking happy.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

MarkBarrett wrote:I'll be curious to see if Jennifer's memorable moments this week create enough buzz over the weekend to make it to chat-fest openings on any daytime talk shows next week. Thursday/Friday airings get overlooked sometimes though.
OMG, that would be hilarious. And nightmarish for the nation.
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

That's a close call but I'm thinking not. Here's the technical distinction. Both dramatic monologue and soliloquy involve only one speaker. But in a dramatic monologue that speaker is speaking to someone. In a soliloquy the speaker is alone.
Monologue = Character talking or delivering a lengthy speech to the other characters
Soliloquy = Character talking to him/herself; essentially thinking out loud
Aside = Character voicing private thoughts to the audience (breaking the 4th wall.) Other characters may be present in the scene but they cannot "hear" an aside. Time may freeze. Think Ferris Bueller. Or Bugs Bunny ("Maybe I shoulda turned left at Alber-koi-kee!")
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Oh yeah, I thought the Family Dollar/Dollar Tree clue was pretty clever.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Robert K S wrote:Inspired by this retweet:

Image Image
Yup, it's ModCloth's Coach Tour Dress. I haven't bought one yet, but I recognized it immediately.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

Hah, because of the wording of the quote, I spent the entire time trying to think of women who dressed up as or masqueraded as men. Kept me from going obvious (though I'm not sure I would've remembered that Susan B. Anthony was put on trial — I should have, though, thanks to... the Powerpuff Girls).
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

that was one of the easiest final jeopardy questions i've seen in a long time. i can think of no other trial where the fact that the defendant was a female had any significance to warrant such a mention in the court's decision.

many, many years ago, i attended and graduated from the university of rochester in upstate new york. one of the four major women's dormitories is named "susan b. anthony hall."

susan b. anthony was one of the greatest americans in our history, and her influence extends well beyond women's suffrage. she lived at 17 madison street, rochester, for the last 60 years of her life, and her home is a museum and a national landmark.

http://susanbanthonyhouse.org/index.php

(side note: the name of the city is pronounced roch' - es - ter. all freshmen are told that there is no "chest" in rochester!)
dharrisf
Valued Contributor

Post by dharrisf »

willwoodlen wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Last clue in DJ! round BISHOP $2000: "Monologue" was given, would "soliloquy" work?
I don't think so. "Dramatic Monologue" is a literary term; I've never heard "soliloquy" used in place of "monologue."
"Soliloquy" is a term used in drama, whereas "dramatic monologue" is a term used only in poetry.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Oh yeah, I thought the Family Dollar/Dollar Tree clue was pretty clever.
So did I until they made the answer so obvious by the use of thises.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alan tiger wrote:i can think of no other trial where the fact that the defendant was a female had any significance to warrant such a mention in the court's decision
The source of the quote used in the clue wasn't a court opinion, but a somewhat tongue-in-cheek line from a New York Times article. Today, there usually is no written opinion associated with trial-court-level criminal convictions (all the defendant gets is a curt journal entry: "defendant found guilty of count 1, sentenced to 60 months imprisonment and $500 fine"). Anthony's case was a little different since the judge in her trial-court proceedings was Ward Hunt, a recently-appointed member of the United States Supreme Court, and he apparently prepared a legal opinion before the trial which he delivered in the form of jury instructions, ordering that women had no right to vote under the Constitution and that the jury must find Anthony guilty.

Students of the law will find much interesting trivia in the Anthony trial. Here are some salient points I just pulled from this article, found on a web site which contains a more or less complete trial record.

- The key thing to keep in mind was that the Constitution's equal protection clause was brand new at the time, with the ratification of the 14th Amendment following the Civil War. By its text, the clause prohibits a state from "deny[ing] to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws". As such, the Anthony trial, as least as Anthony and her lawyers and supporters envisioned it, was an early test of the breadth of equal protection. Did the clause operate to ban gender discrimination at the ballot box?
- When arrested for submitting a ballot, Anthony refused to pay bail, because she wanted a shortcut to the Supreme Court via habeas corpus proceedings. The district court judge who had the first crack at her habeas petition denied it, raised her bail from $500 to $1,000, and then paid it for her from his own money, killing for her the ability to appeal his decision (because only an incarcerated person can ask for relief through habeas).
- The freed Anthony embarked on a lecture tour of Monroe County where she was to be tried. Acknowledging that she had probably poisoned the jury pool, the judge granted the district attorney's motion to move the case, and put it in Ontario County. Anthony moved her lecture tour to Ontario County. (It's unclear why she wasn't slapped with a gag order. Today, she probably would be--see U.S. v. Brown, 218 F.3d 415 (5th Cir. 2000)--and even if the order was ultimately unconstitutional, she'd still have to obey it or face contempt charges because of the collateral bar rule.)
- As her trial date approached, the state of the law suffered stunning setbacks, as the Supreme Court handed down a pair of decisions narrowly construing the protections afforded by the recent constitutional amendments, including Bradwell vs. Illinois, "where the Court had narrowly interpreted the Fourteenth Amendment's equal protection clause to uphold a state law that prohibited women from becoming lawyers".
- Anthony was barred by the trial court judge from testifying on her own behalf as an incompetent witness.
- When she tried to filibuster her sentencing colloquy, the judge repeatedly ordered her to sit down... only to then order her to rise to hear sentencing. She was fined $100 plus the costs of prosecution. "n a move calculated to preclude any appeal to a higher court, ended the trial by announcing, 'Madam, the Court will not order you committed until the fine is paid.'" She never paid and no serious attempt was ever made to collect.
- The suffrage movement lost its attempts to win a broad construction of the equal protection clause in the Supreme Court. The 19th Amendment guaranteeing women the right to vote wasn't ratified until August 18, 1920, fourteen years after Anthony's death in 1906. Anthony's agony of dying without living to see universal suffrage was echoed in this recent FJ! from the Battle of the Decades tournament.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Lake Lanier

Post by Category 13 »

9021amyers wrote: I live within walking distance to Lake Sidney Lanier. Shame on everyone for not knowing that!
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me!
I lived in northeast GA about 50 miles from there, 2004 thru 2005. When the clue came up I had to dredge my memory to come up with the name, and was pleasantly suprised that it was the right answer.
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

dharrisf wrote:
willwoodlen wrote:
I don't think so. "Dramatic Monologue" is a literary term; I've never heard "soliloquy" used in place of "monologue."
"Soliloquy" is a term used in drama, whereas "dramatic monologue" is a term used only in poetry.

Right. I should have made it clearer that I've never heard "soliloquy" used instead of "monologue" in that expression.

I'm honored to have you respond!
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

opusthepenguin wrote:

The Browning poem in the clue, "The Bishop Orders His Tomb at St. Praxed's Church," has the bishop speaking to his nephews and sons. It's definitely a dramatic monologue. On the other hand, Browning's poem "The Soliloquy of the Spanish Cloister" has the speaker addressing Brother Lawrence. Aha! you say. Vindication! Browning himself applied the term "soliloquy" to what is technically a dramatic monolgue. W-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l... not exactly. See, the speaker in "The Soliloquy of the Spanish Cloister" seems to be addressing Brother Lawrence sotto voce. He's not expecting to be heard.

Interesting distinction. Thanks - I haven't read those two poems but I'll seek them out.

People may be more familiar with Browning's "My Last Duchess," a dramatic monologue in which the Duke of Ferrara addresses a man to whom he is showing a painting of his late wife. He offers hints about how she became "late," perhaps revealing more than he intends to. It's a wonderful poem.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

9021amyers wrote:I live within walking distance to Lake Sidney Lanier. Shame on everyone for not knowing that!
I am also disappointed that it was a triple stumper, but even with the TOM about the poet I still wouldn't expect anyone who isn't familiar with our neck of the woods to know that one.

I had no clue on FJ. I knew that it couldn't be Borden, but I had no other guesses. Talk about a forehead slapper.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

xxaaaxx wrote:For FJ, it took a bit to parse the clue, but then it clicked, relevant that "she was a woman" -> something women weren't allowed to do -> November -> voting -> Susan B. Anthony. Borden was at least a defensible guess, but Scopes!?
He may have been thinking of Marie Stopes. During the think music, I considered women who might have been arrested for promoting birth control, such as Margaret Sanger or Marie Stopes -- but I misremembered her name as "Marie Scopes". (Also, now that I look it up, Marie Stopes was British. Also, Sanger and Stopes were not even born yet in 1872; they were active around the 1910s or so.)

I went with Lizzie Borden in the end. I didn't feel great about it, but that's one of the go-to responses if a clue asks for a famous 19th-century trial involving a woman. (I guess on some level I thought maybe possibly they were stating that the defendant was a woman as opposed to a girl; i.e. she was over the age of majority?)

I was kicking myself later when I realized that specifically giving an early November date in a leap year is strongly hinting at elections. I think I knew that Susan B. Anthony was once arrested for trying to vote, but I'm not sure if I knew whether she went to trial.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

willwoodlen wrote:People may be more familiar with Browning's "My Last Duchess," a dramatic monologue in which the Duke of Ferrara addresses a man to whom he is showing a painting of his late wife.
And not just any man! It's the father of the young lady he hopes to make his next victimbride.