Tuesday, July 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by sarisson »

$32,800 (40 right, 0 negs). I would've wagered $8-10k on that peninsulas DD. That clue belonged in the top row. I couldn't believe after getting all the Greek playwright clues, he bet only $1000 and got it wrong. I was supposed to have read Antigone and Electra for Academic Decathlon but never did. Sigh.
Final eluded me yet again. I missed the earlier FJ clue about him, too. I guess "Brit who goes to the Middle East in WWI" is one of the Seven Pavlovs of Wisdom.
Hoping for a third lap
squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle »

The previous FJ! where the response was also T.E. Lawrence was in this game, which aired January 12th this year. Depending on when they taped this game, that seems very odd to me that they put them so close together.

Paging Jennifer: When were your games taped?
brick

Post by brick »

Robert K S wrote:Moral of the story today, "No guts, no glory." $1,000 DD wagers, fuh.
Yeah. A low value clue in a category you seem really confident in... ugh.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

floridagator wrote:That was a hot hot hot game! Champion Scott was very subdued in the J! round and for the first part of DJ. With the one minute call in DJ, the challenger had a runaway. But then Scott rallied to get over 50% of the leader.
You make it seem that Scott was laying back on purpose. Jake was dominating on both buzzer speed and clue knowledge. He could have put the game away handily on that last DD but instead, kept Scott's hopes alive.
Fitting that he would have lost the game anyway even if he had gotten FJ right.

I would have never bet all 13,200 in Scott's shoes, but after Jake demonstrated his lack of wagering mojo on the DDs, I don't blame Scott for going all in.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget FJ, having read his bio. What i recalled from it that struck me (hence, became memorable) was that T.E. WALKED everywhere.
No other Englishman walked ANYWHERE. He went as a student to investigate archaeologic ruins of crusade castles, and walked to them with his guides, all were amazed. He walked over 1100 miles across Syria to see 36 castles in >110F heat. He adopted their dress and customs and learned their language on that first trip, making him an intel expert when the war broke out.

Other odd factoids: As an illegitimate child, he went by Thomas Edward Shaw during most of his life, but published The Seven Pillars of Wisdom under "Lawrence."
Later he became a speed addict, racing boats and motorcycles, which eventually killed him in 1935 at age 46.

As I walked in late for this episode I caught only FJ. I've tied my streak to 17 consecutive FJs! Can Goatman beat his record?!? :o
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote:Jake Smith: $22,800-$3,500=$19,300...now a 2-day champion with $55,401
Scott Lord: $13,200+$13,200=$26,400
Eliza Thompson: $6,200-$6,200=$0
You might want to move that "now a 2-day champion" bit down a line.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Category 13 wrote:I would have never bet all 13,200 in Scott's shoes, but after Jake demonstrated his lack of wagering mojo on the DDs, I don't blame Scott for going all in.
Actually it was his most rational wager. If, as a second-place player, your pre-FJ! total is more than half but less than two-thirds that of the leader, then assuming a good wager by the leader you cannot win without a correct response. So there is no good argument for a wager of less than 100 percent. (Wish I'd been aware of that in advance, but oh well.)

Fantastic comeback and I also feel a little bit for Jake.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
alamble

Post by alamble »

squizzle wrote:The previous FJ! where the response was also T.E. Lawrence was in this game, which aired January 12th this year. Depending on when they taped this game, that seems very odd to me that they put them so close together.

Paging Jennifer: When were your games taped?
Though I am not Jennifer, I can answer this question: last week's episodes taped on April 20, and this week's taped on the 21st. This was the penultimate taping block (in that I consider a two-day set of dates one "block") of this season.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I got FJ right, but my first thought was Howard Carter (discovered King Tut's tomb in 1922).
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Wow, nice comeback by Scott but that other guy blew it on the DD bet. Easy FJ for me but I could see guessing Churchill.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Still on page 2. Who bet the under?

Blue Crush was a nice get by Jake. I've seen it, but no way could I recall it in regular clue time.

At least I'm consistent as I did not get the Lawrence clue in January either. I dismissed Churchill and Howard Carter. Processing Middle East to desert got me to the Desert Fox and I wrote Rommel. In 25 seconds you'd think I'd wake up and realize I wrote a German? Nope, I'm an idiot.

Even after Eliza was ruled wrong my reaction was, "It's not Rommel? Who could it be?" When Scott's correct response was shown my reaction was, "Him again?" I'll never learn. And then it hit me. Oh, [expletive!] Rommel is German. I just know that if even if I would have realized my error I would have switched to Montgomery. It was going to be a miss.

Well, my goal was 90% to close the last two weeks of the season. Hmmm, I'm at 50% now, so all I need is eight in a row. No problem. :)

I get that some of you have some sympathy for Jake. He only gets the dictionary from me for it. Scott did enough to hang in there (had some good fogey gets) and struck the finishing blow at the right time. Only Jake could know if he was more likely to go 1/3 on DDs or 2/3. To me, the miss was out of the way, so Peninsulas looked promising.
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

Rommel wasn't a terrible guess. Germany and Great Britain (despite some cousinly Naval rivalry) certainly weren't at war in 1909!

The 17-18 year old Rommel could easily have gotten some of his education in England.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:I really wish the leader had gotten FJ right.
Wow, I didn't even catch it until reading your post that Jake failed to make the cover bet. That certainly would've been a nasty way to lose.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

VAdame wrote:Rommel wasn't a terrible guess. Germany and Great Britain (despite some cousinly Naval rivalry) certainly weren't at war in 1909!

The 17-18 year old Rommel could easily have gotten some of his education in England.
Between this post and one of the contestants (Eliza) guessing Rommel as well, I feel a bit less sheepish about my FJ! response. T.E. Lawrence did actually cross my mind (I'm not sure how, I still don't know much about him), but I fell for the "well, they just used that a few months ago!" trap.
reggia09
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by reggia09 »

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum...

I missed hearing completely one of the question/answers. Can someone please tell me what the question or answer about the French phrase? It may have had something to do with language.
brick

Post by brick »

I was flipping Rommel and Lawrence in my head and wondering what they meant by that very vague time frame. Decided Lawrence was more temporarily placed and went with it.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Am I doing math wrong, or did Jake not bet enough to cover Scott's all-in FJ assuming they both got it? What is up with that?
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

After having wisely dismissed Lawrence, I blurted out princip. I thought the reference was for WW1.

Oh well. Only princip here?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

Oh boy. Still steeling myself to watch this one - I spent a large portion of this evening acquainting myself with the life-affirming and hitherto undiscovered corner of the J! Universe that is the Former Players Support Network - but I did end up spoiling myself enough by crawls throughout the internet to just go ahead and do a rough Coryat from the J! Archive.

Adjusting for actual guesses beyond spoilers - in the sense of "How likely would I have been to have nailed that one on stage?" - I'd say this would have been an average-to-sub-average game for me, depending on mental state. I could have probably held my own, but nothing dazzling. Jake would have absolutely been a threat. I wish I had better numbers, and was intending to get 'em, but honestly, there's no point in knowing that figure beyond self-torture.

What I will say is that I feel terrible now in light of my earlier posting. When I passed through the hotel lobby on the afternoon of April 21 (thanks for filling that in, Alyson) after a day out at Griffith Observatory with my folks to unsuccessfully nurse my ravaged brain, I saw Jake sitting there with his... mom, I think? I considered going over to say hello/goodbye and commiserate over what I was guessing was another Scott Loss (EDIT: This was probably my own bias speaking - I was hoping I'd lost to some superhuman force just for my own ego's sake), but he looked to be in deep, deep pain, and I didn't think my... whatever it is I bring to the table... would have been at all helpful at that moment. He did not seem to be in a good place. So I swayed there awkwardly for a moment and then moved on. But that expression has haunted me for a while, because all I knew was that something really bad had happened out there. I assumed it was a brutal thrashing, not anything close to this.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

alamble wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:Still hasn't aired where I am but I've been peeking back for updates and just wanna say...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

I want nothing more than for Scott to dominate the show for a week so I can say, "You see? No chance against that."
Weeeelllll... that's not quite the way it played out. Scott was a distant second going into FJ. If Jake, the first place guy, had wagered more gutsily on his final DD, he'd have had a runaway. Poor Jake looked sick to his stomach as the camera panned to him for his FJ response. I don't blame him one bit. As I say, ouch. If that'd been me, I wouldn't be able to watch my game. I don't know if I'd ever be able to watch Jeopardy! again. Ouch. Poor guy.

But I guess for you, Jennifer, it definitely means there was some STIFF competition ahead. If Scott didn't get you, the Jake and Scott show would have. Maybe. All I know is the game seemed slow-paced and lethargic. Sigh. I guess I'll get used to it again.
Incidentally, Jake was one of the holdovers from Monday's taping. Several of us were giving him (good-natured) grief about his resemblance to Josh Gad.
That was the day that the Celebrity J! participants were revealed to the outside world, right? I think the timing of it made the Josh Gad references go from "Hey, you kinda look like..." to just nonstop Josh Gad comparisons.