Online Test Discussion (Eastern), January 17, 2012

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Online Test Discussion (Eastern), January 17, 2012

Post by Archivists »

Courtesy of earendel:

1. (SCIENCE FICTION) His first short story collection, "I, Robot", was published in 1950.
Spoiler
ISAAC ASIMOV
2. (TONY-WINNING MUSICALS) "Big Girls Don't Cry" is a song from this Tony-winning musical.
Spoiler
JERSEY BOYS
3. (EARTH SCIENCE) From the Latin "to gnaw", it's the process by which material is worn away from the earth's surface.
Spoiler
EROSION
4. (WORLD CAPITALS) This capital of Turkey lies south of the Black Sea.
Spoiler
ANKARA
5. (ON THE MONEY) His face adorns the front of America's $50 bill.
Spoiler
ULYSSES S GRANT
6. (THE WAR OF 1812) In 1814 the battle of this city was fought even though the Treaty of Ghent had ended the war.
Spoiler
NEW ORLEANS
7. (MYTHOLOGY) When Oedipus answered this creature's riddle, it committed suicide.
Spoiler
SPHINX
8. (FOOD) This often burger-sized mushroom is the mature form of the crimino.
Spoiler
PORTABELLO
9. (ARTISTS) In 1634 this artist married Saskia & used her as a model.
Spoiler
REMBRANDT
10. (BUSINESS & INDUSTRY) In 2011 Motorola released a Droid version of this phone with a thin, sharp name.
Spoiler
RAZOR
11. (FIRST NAMES IN THE DICTIONARY) This nickname for Henry can also mean a coil, or looped bundle of thread.
Spoiler
HANK
12. (AMERICAN RIVERS) This "stately" river forms the border between Indiana & Kentucky.
Spoiler
OHIO
13. (ACTRESSES ON TV) Emmy-nominated Sofia Vergara plays Gloria Delgado-Pritchett on this comedy.
Spoiler
MODERN FAMILY
14. (NONFICTION) Jack Canfield & Mark Victor Hansen have written a series of books called this dish "for the soul".
Spoiler
CHICKEN SOUP
15. (HISTORIC STRUCTURES) This Roman's "wall" was known to protect Britain from barbarian invasions.
Spoiler
HADRIAN
16. (SCIENCE GUYS) This Scottish engineer coined the term "horsepower" & a unit of power is named for him.
Spoiler
JAMES WATT
17. (FLOWERS) Its scientific name is helianthus annuus.
Spoiler
SUNFLOWER
18. (U.S. SENATORS) No joke, in 2009 this funnyman became a senator from Minnesota.
Spoiler
AL FRANKEN
19. (RHYME TIME) The jargon of a Australian wild dog.
Spoiler
DINGO LINGO
20. (20TH CENTURY NOVELS) The title of this novel of the Spanish Civil War comes from John Donne's "Meditation XVII".
Spoiler
FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS
21. (EUROPEAN HISTORY) Title of the rulers of the Venetian Republic, the last of whom was deposed in 1797.
Spoiler
DOGE
22. (ORGANIZATIONS) For its work on behalf of prisoners of conscience this organization won the 1977 Nobel Peace Prize.
Spoiler
AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL
23. (SHAKESPEREAN CHARACTERS) This title guy dies of a broken heart as he kneels over his daughter's body.
Spoiler
LEAR
24. (ARCHITECTURE) They're the slender towers or turrets of a mosque from which Muslims are called to prayer.
Spoiler
MINARETS
25. (DESERTS) This desert covers parts of South Africa, Namibia & Botswana.
Spoiler
KALAHARI
26. (SINGERS) In 2009 she "Dreamed a Dream" on "Britain's Got Talent" & became a worldwide sensation.
Spoiler
SUSAN BOYLE
27. (BESTSELLING AUTHORS) Many of his books, including 2010's "Safe Haven" & 2009's "The Last Song" are set in North Carolina, where he lives.
Spoiler
NICHOLAS SPARKS
28. (THE SOLAR SYSTEM) Nereid & Naiad are moons of this planet.
Spoiler
NEPTUNE
29. (U.S.A.) This state capital is home to the U.S. Naval Academy.
Spoiler
ANNAPOLIS
30. (EXPLORATION) In 1500 Pedro Cabral sailed to what's now this country & claimed it for Portugal.
Spoiler
BRAZIL
31. (COMPOSERS) With only 2 movements, his Symphony No. 8 in B minor was "unfinished".
Spoiler
FRANZ SCHUBERT
32. (FRENCH PHRASES) This French phrase meaning "ahead of one's time" often describes modern artists.
Spoiler
AVANT GARDE
33. (FAMOUS PAIRS) In 2011 they were voted "Las Vegas Magicians of the Year" for the sixth time.
Spoiler
PENN AND TELLER
34. (BIBLICAL PEOPLE) Absalom was killed during a revolt against this man, his father.
Spoiler
DAVID
35. (BOOKS & AUTHORS) Truman Capote described this 1966 book as a "nonfiction novel".
Spoiler
IN COLD BLOOD
36. (ISLANDS) Its name suggests that this island in the Indian Ocean might be perfect for a family get-together.
Spoiler
REUNION
37. (CLASSIC ROCK BANDS) In 2007 surviving members Robert Plant, John Paul Jones & Jimmy Page of this band reunited in London.
Spoiler
LED ZEPPELIN
38. (TIMEPIECES) This watch brand with a Greek letter name says it made the world's first diver's watch.
Spoiler
OMEGA
39. (BIOLOGY) Of the hormones made in the pancreas, glucagon has the opposite effect of this one.
Spoiler
INSULIN
40. (SCULPTURE) This 20th century English sculptor is known for his several "reclining figure" works.
Spoiler
HENRY MOORE
41. (5-LETTER WORDS) It precedes "shrimp" in the name of a shrimp species that lives in the Great Salt Lake.
Spoiler
BRINE
42. (BODIES OF WATER) Arms of this sea include the Tyrrhenian Sea and Ligurian Sea.
Spoiler
MEDITERRANEAN
43. (ANNUAL EVENTS) Pearl Harbor Day is observed on this date.
Spoiler
DECEMBER 7
44. (ANCIENT HISTORY) In 337 A.D. this first Christian emperor abolished crucifixion as a form of execution.
Spoiler
CONSTANTINE
45. (LITERARY TITLE PLACES) The 2 cities of Dickens' "A Tale of Two Cities" are London & this one.
Spoiler
PARIS
46. (WHALES) The scientific name of this tusked whale is monodon monoceros.
Spoiler
NARWHAL
47. (HOME EQUIPMENT) This format that's replacing traditional DVDs is named partly for the color of the laser used to read it.
Spoiler
BLU-RAY
48. (CLASSIC MOVIES) Wheelchair-bound Jimmy Stewart watches his neighbors across a courtyard in this 1954 Hitchcock classic.
Spoiler
REAR WINDOW
49. (POETRY) a Keats ode calls this bird "light-winged dryad of the trees".
Spoiler
NIGHTINGALE
50. (BEFORE & AFTER) Bonus work in school that nets you a piece of plastic from Visa.
Spoiler
EXTRA CREDIT CARD
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Online Test Discussion (Eastern), January 17, 2012

Post by gamawire »

Well, I easily passed it - but I know that's because it doesn't count!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Fishercat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fishercat »

Just finished it, it felt substantially tougher than in the past year or two
cbec
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by cbec »

Just finished, feeling pretty good. Awaiting the transcript.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

I passed it two years ago (got the interview) and I think I did better this time.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

I finished, not feeling very confident, the test hit a couple of my weak spots, and even studying wouldn't have gotten them. I got 35 on the practice. Would be a miracle to get 35 on this one.

I tried, best is all I could say. Remember, its my first time, not expecting it to be perfect.
Last edited by Roadgeek Adam on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

i had so many typos and could not spell in time! arghhh
JK2010
Contributor

Post by JK2010 »

Is there a plan to get the questions and looked up answers posted tonight?
Spazzrico
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Spazzrico »

So question for all of you. This is my six or seventh time taking this thing now, and I'd love to gauge what = passing. I feel that I do pretty well most of the time (40/50 I'm guessing on average). I keep taking it but I feel like it is just futile considering so many other people are now taking it...like it's a lottery almost. Even if I never get an interview, I guess I have fun with this. :)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

my dinner date for tonight fell through, now sorry it did. It was tough.

5 blanks, but 3 were dead-brain-timer-panic blanks. ( got "Susan" at about 10 seconds so I typed it hoping it would click for the last name and it did, but only got BO before the timer grabbed my answer, leaving YLE in my fingers), "Siegfried and Roy" hit me some time around Led Zeppelin, and I'm still not getting that dang mushroom at question 8.

5 blanks for 45 max possible correct, but 8 ?? on my entries for a possible low of 37. Confidence is skyhigh on those 37, and good on half of the 8??s.

So... we'll see. I don't even remember where I chose as my audition city. I know Charlotte wasn't an option this time.
Timmo
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Timmo »

I thought it wasn't as hard as last year, but what do I know... maybe I just recognized when I didn't know something more often this time around.

I did manage to rearrange the first letters of the band name... oh well, I suspect I stil did well.
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

I think I missed five. I thought it was much easier than last year's Central test and much easier than the first online test, which got me on the show. There were two for which I didn't have a guess, and several others that were gettable, but I needed more time.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I can hardly wait for the transcript myself. I have more than a few questions but I feel overall very confident. Given the ones I'm pretty certain of, give me a decent break on the ones I was less certain of, and I'm pretty sure of this one.

I thought this was overall a bit easier than some I've seen. Some in particular (crimino = portobello) I know I've seen on previous exams.

Now, with the audition being held right here in Cleveland, I've just gotta get a shot this year!
lillypie82
Valued Contributor

Post by lillypie82 »

Last edited by lillypie82 on Sun May 22, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JK2010
Contributor

Post by JK2010 »

Definitely not too bad, I thought, though of course I'm kicking myself after a couple. Had Schubert down, but changed to Beethoven!
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

JK2010 wrote:Definitely not too bad, I thought, though of course I'm kicking myself after a couple. Had Schubert down, but changed to Beethoven!

the same thing happened to me!
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

I was happy with the first few questions. I think I knew almost all but 5 or 6. Unfortunately I had a few that I knew, but couldn't access. The magicians, if it is indeed Seigfried and Roy, and Rear Window. For those I had pretty much the whole history of the 2 and the plot of the movie, but not the names. I knew the Before and After, but I hadn't read the category, so I was bit confused. Ran out of time to get it down. I know I did better than last time, but not much.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Spazzrico wrote:So question for all of you. This is my six or seventh time taking this thing now, and I'd love to gauge what = passing.
The contestant coordinators have never officially confirmed what is considered a passing score, but the conventional wisdom is that it's a minimum of 35, and may be graded on a curve depending on the quality of the overall pool.
JK2010
Contributor

Post by JK2010 »

I put Penn and Teller instead of S+R! Arrrgh
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

The test was easier than I expected. I think I got 43 right, plus or minus one, assuming they're reasonably liberal about spelling and capitalization.

[[Edited to remove question answered above]]