Online Test Discussion (Eastern), January 17, 2012

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Kathie
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Online Test Discussion (Eastern), January 17, 2012

Post by Kathie »

Ugh, have been away from trivia for so long and starting to feel my age, so didn't bother to register. Got 37 from the transcripts. Meh
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

40, taken from the transcript.

Was sweating a bit, as I heard before how "easy" it was and I had genuine difficulty with several of these (because I haven't started my cramming yet, as the real test for me is Thursday). That said, of those 10, at least 2 (the mushroom and the minnesota senator) were ones I *knew* - I could even picture each in my head, but had a brain fart and couldn't pull in 15 seconds, and one (Pearl Harbor) was a RTFQ error (read "celebrated in this state" (said "Hawaii") not "celebrated on this date"). At at least one of the ones I got (the solar system) was a total ex recto. So, everything considered, I'm feeling quite good about it! I don't think I've even got 40 before for fun or (definitely) for real!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Oh, can I request that whatever Archivist posts the test and answers that they post first and last names? I'm not one of those sticklers for having it done on the show, but it is helpful for correctness ([using a fictitious answer to prevent spoilage] "Washington" is correct. "George Washington" is correct. "Frank Washington" is incorrect. Someone who entered Frank Washington and just sees Washington on our site might think they were correct.) and education (those who got it wrong will learn the correct answer)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I got 44, I think. Last year I had under 35, so yes I believe this test was easier. I couldn't think of LED ZEPPELIN or Susan BOYLE, should have gotten both.
One slight quibble on the transcript (besides Reunion) - the Motorola phone is spelled RAZR. I was proud about remembering that - even though I don't own one - but I assume RAZOR will be accepted too.
My biggest frustrations - as I heard the ping I saw my screen said VERREMBRANDT!...I hadn't backed up all the way after rethinking VERMEER. And also that I couldn't come up with PORTOBELLO though I have some in my kitchen.
Last edited by davey on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

davey wrote:PORTOBELLO though I have some in my kitchen.
what the hell is it with that word? That's at least 5 people in this thread (counting me) who had it brain-blocked. I've got soup with portobellos in it, pasta sauce, frozen pizzas. See it on menus all the time. Walked past a nice selection of fresh ones in produce today. Damned if I could dredge it up.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:
davey wrote:PORTOBELLO though I have some in my kitchen.
what the hell is it with that word? That's at least 5 people in this thread (counting me) who had it brain-blocked. I've got soup with portobellos in it, pasta sauce, frozen pizzas. See it on menus all the time. Walked past a nice selection of fresh ones in produce today. Damned if I could dredge it up.
Now, if they had referenced Bedknobs And Broomsticks, on the other hand...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

It seems both Portobello & Portabella are acceptable: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Articles/P ... bello.aspx

The brown crimini mushrooms at our local supermarket are always labeled as "Baby Bellas."
davey

Post by davey »

BTW, I learned from Wikipedia right before it shut down that Siegfried and Roy, who haven't performed in years, formally announced their retirement in 2010.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Not even the customary token sports question or current pop culture question on this test, interesting. I wonder if the same will apply to the other two tests. Otherwise seemed similar in content to previous tests, though. (I've always wondered why the tests de-emphasize sports and pop culture so much, despite them being such a significant part of actual game categories)

I got 42, playing along with boson's youtube video, tailing off after starting 19 of 20. It's higher than I've ever "scored" on a test before, but that was mostly due to faring better on the Lit questions than in the past.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Got 40 reading Earendel's transcript (thanks!); giving myself the benefit of the doubt on Portobello, which was spoiled in the general online test discussion thread, and the penalty of the doubt on Penn and Teller, which I spoiled myself on in a failed attempt to check the Archivists' first post (when checking the thread a second time, I hit the "first unread post" icon on the index instead of the link, and jumped to page 2, where they were right up top). I'm also not giving myself Susan Boyle, whom I took several uncounted seconds, too many to be sure I would have managed it in time, to recall her name.

Lucky guesses on Neptune and Rembrandt (both of which, when plural, are names in music!).
earendel

Post by earendel »

billy pilgrim wrote:I got 45 and you have one wrong. 36 is Reunion Island- not Christmas. That aside, many thanks for posting this. It's apprecdiated, earendel.
You're welcome. I'm surprised I was the first one to post. I've edited #36 to add the correct answer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
earendel

Post by earendel »

dhkendall wrote:Oh, can I request that whatever Archivist posts the test and answers that they post first and last names? I'm not one of those sticklers for having it done on the show, but it is helpful for correctness ([using a fictitious answer to prevent spoilage] "Washington" is correct. "George Washington" is correct. "Frank Washington" is incorrect. Someone who entered Frank Washington and just sees Washington on our site might think they were correct.) and education (those who got it wrong will learn the correct answer)
I added the first names as requested.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
BoK

Post by BoK »

43 here.
No chance on Sparks and Modern Family. Lost the coin flip for Seigfried & Roy. Blanked on brine and said salty. Pulled out Susan Boyle's last name about 5 seconds too late. Still kicking myself over Reunion and had Rubens instead of Rembrandt.

Question to those who got Rembrandt. Is the fact that he married a woman named Saskia something you knew? Or was there some TOM (other than the date) that I missed? I guessed Rubens because he's most famous for painting women. I thought one of them might have been his wife.
Pointer
Contributor

Post by Pointer »

JK2010 wrote:I put Penn and Teller instead of S+R! Arrrgh
Me too.
I think I missed a couple because I clicked on Submit just as it was automatically advancing, so I actually submitted the 'new' question without answering it!
Someone more experienced may correct me, but I have heard a passing grade is up around 70 - 75%
Someday... someday!
satori
Contributor

Post by satori »

Pointer wrote: I think I missed a couple because I clicked on Submit just as it was automatically advancing, so I actually submitted the 'new' question without answering it!
Be patient! Once I have typed the answer in, I just let the clock run out on that question; the extra few seconds let me clear my mind for the next one. Clicking "Submit" can't improve your score and can (as you unfortunately found out) cause mistakes.
Thinking globally, acting locally, snacking frequently.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Pointer wrote:
JK2010 wrote:I put Penn and Teller instead of S+R! Arrrgh
Me too.
I think I missed a couple because I clicked on Submit just as it was automatically advancing, so I actually submitted the 'new' question without answering it!
Someone more experienced may correct me, but I have heard a passing grade is up around 70 - 75%
Someday... someday!
A couple of years ago I skipped at least one question because they were allowing you to hit the enter button to submit answers - same deal, hit enter just as time was ending so I completely missed a really easy one. They no longer enable the enter to submit, but after the experience, I decided to ALWAYS just let the time expire. It is much safer that way, as you have discovered.

46/50 for me.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

BoK wrote:Question to those who got Rembrandt. Is the fact that he married a woman named Saskia something you knew? Or was there some TOM (other than the date) that I missed? I guessed Rubens because he's most famous for painting women. I thought one of them might have been his wife.
Glad I didn't think of that. I would've put him. My "Van Rijn" was a total WAG. Makes up for one of portobello and Boyle, I guess. Rembrandt for me on this test is the epitome of "anything is better than nothing."
davey

Post by davey »

BoK wrote: Question to those who got Rembrandt. Is the fact that he married a woman named Saskia something you knew? Or was there some TOM (other than the date) that I missed? I guessed Rubens because he's most famous for painting women. I thought one of them might have been his wife.
He painted her a lot, so she does come up when you read about him. That didn't keep me from jumping to Vermeer first (I suppose because of the Girl With the Pearl Earring movie), before another neuron fired...
davey

Post by davey »

Pointer wrote:
JK2010 wrote: Someone more experienced may correct me, but I have heard a passing grade is up around 70 - 75%
Someday... someday!
It's long been said that passing is 35, so yes, 70%. Though I don't think there's ever been official confirmation.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

43. I made a couple of dumb mistakes. I also busted up laughing mid-quiz because the helianthus question was from my game, one of the few I actually managed to buzz in on and answer. :)