Online Test Discussion (Eastern), January 17, 2012

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Online Test Discussion (Eastern), January 17, 2012

Post by mam418 »

40. Seemed easier than the other 3 I took ('07, '08, '10 eastern time zones)
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

First and foremost, thanks to earandel for the super, super job of getting this up, and so quickly. What a hero!

Had my usual shaky start: lost the 50-50 on sci-fi writers and went with Heinlein; had no clue on Jersey Boys.

Then started just rattling them off to beat the band, including a complete all-but-blind guess on Rembrandt based on the date alone (no, I'd never heard of Saskia).

The odd moment of the night came with #8. I just had lunch with my wife yesterday, and as I was chomping on a "Bella Burger" (with portobello mushroom) I mentioned, "I sure have learned a lot from Jeopardy! over the years. For instance, a few years ago I took a contestant quiz and learned that 'the crimino is the immature form of this mushroom---the portobello.'" So of course she rolls her eyes and tells me not to talk (esp. about J!) with my mouth full. Seven hours later, same question on this quiz. That's when I knew this was my night. :D

Had my usual glitches in pop culture areas: Modern Family, Led Zeppelin, Nicholas Sparks, Blue Tooth for Blu-Ray. But also got a few going my way: logical guesses on sunflower, Neptune, Penn & Teller, David (50-50 over Solomon :) ). Mostly just got real comfortable and (after the first 2 clues) never missed more than one in a row.

Neat, clean 43, for one of my better scores.

Now, with the live contestant audition right here in Cleveland, I gotta hope to win the lottery and get my shot.

Good luck to all the fine boardies out there!
Pope Innocent XIV
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Pope Innocent XIV »

Spazzrico wrote:So question for all of you. This is my six or seventh time taking this thing now, and I'd love to gauge what = passing. I feel that I do pretty well most of the time (40/50 I'm guessing on average). I keep taking it but I feel like it is just futile considering so many other people are now taking it...like it's a lottery almost. Even if I never get an interview, I guess I have fun with this. :)
Though I've heard 35/50, I'm convinced it's 40/50. I've taken the online test four times and passed it twice (including last year so I didn't take it this year). If you do pass, my experience is that they'll email you in late April or early May. I had my two interviews in New York; each time there were about 20-25 people in each session and about nine sessions in total, so they do accept a fair number of people. There is also a retest once you get to the interview.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Pope Innocent XIV wrote:Though I've heard 35/50, I'm convinced it's 40/50.
I got an audition 2 years ago on what I am certain was a 36/50 (I videoed the whole test, so I could check my responses at my leisure), so the lower bar is definitely not always 40. I'd say it's far more likely that the passing grade changes from year to year.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

46/50. Missed 8, 27, 36 and 50.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

drats! 26 with my first attempt. Didn't realize that we didn't need to click submit!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I didn't take the test for real because they are not having auditions anywhere near Atlanta, but I got a 40 playing it from this thread. I might have gotten lucky and had a set of clues that hit me just right, but I can't believe how easy this test was compared to the ones from last year. If I remember correctly, my scores on the three tests last year were 34, 33, and 30.
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

NHO Nicholas Sparks or Henry Moore

Clanked on Jersey Boys, the mushroom (shitake vs. portabello), Rembrandt (went with Vermeer), Cabral (thought he sailed east), Led Zeppelin, and For Whom the Bell Tolls (went with Sun Also Rises).

Lucky guesses on Hank, Modern Family, Penn & Teller

I thought the Watt clue looked familiar; found it in sherder's third game (word-for-word).

Thanks for the transcript, earendel.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Pope Innocent XIV wrote:Though I've heard 35/50, I'm convinced it's 40/50. I've taken the online test four times and passed it twice (including last year so I didn't take it this year).
It's not that high, usually. They may choose a higher standard in a location with tons of potential auditioners with high scores, but commonly people get auditions scores below 40. My first audition, I think my score was a 38. Seen lots of others say the same thing.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

32 out of 50. not bad but not good enough I fear ... bummer! is there any hope of getting a call?
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

I did feel as if this test was easier than last year, my first one. Unfortunately I got pretty much the same score. I am on the right track, as a few of the things I looked up ended up being on the test. Not that I remembered some of them. I came across Schubert, but mixed it up with someone else. I came across Hadrian. I only got it because if it's not the wall in China, I pick that one. I did get New Orleans, as a guess, but I did intend to look up the Treaty of Ghent. I did get Annapolis looking at U.S geography.

Other than the Rear Window movie, the one that bothers me the most is the Tony winnng musicals. I don't know how many times I have seen a commercial for that musical with that song in it. I thought it was forever ingrained in my head, obviously not.
andreaborn
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by andreaborn »

I got a 43 -- went the wrong way on Clarke for Asimov; changed my answer away from Rembrandt, but made up for it by switching to Neptune from a bad guess of Uranus. I always mix up Hemingway's novels (otherwise pretty strong in lit), and had Siegfried & Roy (Penn & Teller didn't cross my mind).
Pope Innocent XIV wrote:If you do pass, my experience is that they'll email you in late April or early May.
Just to avoid teeth-gnashing in mid-May: auditions actually happen throughout most of the year -- I got my audition email in September 2010 (for San Francisco in early November), and IIRC they went back to some cities even after that date, according to boardie reports.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

One other thing I happened to notice about this quiz: not a single clue having to do with sports. Baseball, football, NBA, Olympics, nada.

Can't remember when that's happened.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I've seen a verbatim on the James Watt clue from a past game or test.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Took this one for practice off the board. Went 45/50 missing Nicholas Sparks (heard of him but the book names didn't ring a bell, Henry Moore (tip-of-the-tongue but it wouldn't come to me), Mediterranean (went with Aegean), Rembrandt and For Whom The Bell Tolls (went with The Son Also Rises).

Let's hope tonight when I take it for real will go as well.
Asphodel
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Asphodel »

andreaborn wrote:
Just to avoid teeth-gnashing in mid-May: auditions actually happen throughout most of the year -- I got my audition email in September 2010 (for San Francisco in early November), and IIRC they went back to some cities even after that date, according to boardie reports.
I don't know if it's because I chose LA as my audition city (I assume they do auditions there throughout the year?), but I didn't get my email invite until December. I was actually starting to think about the following year's test by that point.
kmwest
Contributor

Post by kmwest »

Anyone know if the Chicago audition site is for sure this year? And if so, approximately when? Assuming I get a couple spelling decisions thrown my way I got a 35 on the dot and it would be awesome to get a real tryout.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

41. My best ever, now that I don't need to take it for real anymore. :|

Last year I got between 36-38, depending on how they interpreted Pollo Loco (without the "El") and hockey (without the "ice"), and finally got the call. In 2009 I passed with about the same amount (didn't have access to a transcript, was just going off my memory of which ones were wrong. I may have gotten over 40 in one of the in-person tests because they're a little easier (you can go back and fill in one that took you a little longer to remember, or write down, up until the end of the test) but not by much.

I think at my first audition (in 2001 in Dallas, before the online tests) one of the coordinators did actually mention the 35/50 threshold out loud. They hedged on it somehow, but that number was mentioned. Everything in my experience backs it up.

Watch me tonight if you haven't already!! (What luck to get my show on during the exam days! I guess it's better than NCAA tourney time, or election night...)
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

DadofTwins wrote:I thought the Watt clue looked familiar; found it in sherder's third game (word-for-word).
I thought it looked familiar...not that familiar. Oops. :oops:
Pointer
Contributor

Post by Pointer »

Got 36! Much better than last year, but good enough to get The Call?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

kmwest wrote:Anyone know if the Chicago audition site is for sure this year? And if so, approximately when? Assuming I get a couple spelling decisions thrown my way I got a 35 on the dot and it would be awesome to get a real tryout.
I sure hope so, as that's the location I chose, and it's the closest to em by far (even though it's a two day's drive away)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012