Monday, November 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7161, 2015-11-02

CONTESTANTS
Marcus Lewis, a tutor from Brooklyn, New York
Christine Qualey, a retired teacher from Abington, Massachusetts
Katie Walker, a biomedical science teacher from Chapel Hill, North Carolina (whose 1-day cash winnings total $5,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I wanna start today's program by reminding all of you that one week from today we begin our annual Tournament of Champions, featuring 15 of the best players from this past season. Now it could include Katie, Christine, or Marcus, depending on what happens today and in the rest of the week. So good luck to you. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories for you, beginning with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ORDERS OF MAMMALS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
DOUBLE LETTER 6-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
SPORTS IN LITERATURE (3/4)
MINT CONDITION (5/5)
TALKING GEOGRAPHY (5/5)
MAIL CALL (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Christine: 12 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Marcus: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Katie: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Marcus: $2,200
Katie: $1,400
Christine: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: All three of our players on the program today are involved with teaching. This young man, Marcus Lewis, is a tutor who was... followed by the Secret Service?

Marcus: Yes, when I was 5 or 6. We were in Wyoming...

Alex: Oh.

Marcus: ...which was Bill Clinton's favorite vacation spot, and my dad decided he wanted to take a photo of him golfing, which apparently is a no-no. Uh, so about four Secret Service vehicles followed us for the rest of the day, like to Arby's and, uh, uh, mini golfing and things like that, and you'd see these guys in suits just sweating in the hot sun.

Alex: Aha, but it makes for an exciting story--

Marcus: Yeah.

Alex: --and you've told it many, many times in your life.

Marcus: Right.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Christine Qualey from Abington, Massachusetts. Say anything to me.

Christine: [New England accent] Pahk the cah in Hahvard Yahd.

Alex: Thank you very much.

[Laughter]

Alex: Now you are part of a folk group?

Christine: Yes.

Alex: Tell me about it.

Christine: At various times, we're a duo, a trio, or a 5-piece band. Started out as a duo, and we called ourselves "Hot and Bothered".

Alex: That's good.

Christine: Did not please my parents.

[Alex laughs.]

Chrstine: So we changed it to "Seduced and Abandoned".

Alex: Oh, hello. And that pleased your parents?

Christine: Not at all. Not at all.

Alex: You're not supposed to please your parents all the time.

Alex: Our champion is Katie Walker, a biomedical science teacher from North Carolina, and you spent part of last year teaching abroad.

Katie: That's right. Actually, this summer I went to France, and I worked at a summer camp where we taught some local French kids how to speak English. So it was a great experience.

Alex: Mm, that sounds like good times.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Christine found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Katie had $2,000, Christine had $4,200, and Marcus was at $3,600. Christine wagered $1,300.

ORDERS OF MAMMALS $1000: The Proboscidea order only has one living family today, this one
(Alex: Christine?)
(Christine: What is the duck-billed platypus?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DOUBLE LETTER 6-LETTER WORDS $1000: A flubber in the fairway, a bungler in the bunker
(Christine: What is alliteration?)
(Alex: Bunker, fairway--we're talking about golf, and the word we're looking for is a [*].)

SPORTS IN LITERATURE $1000: "Ball Four" by this pitcher begins, "I signed my contract today to play for the Seattle pilots at a salary of $22,000"

MAIL CALL $1000: A onetime owner of the 1856 British Guiana stamp that sold in 2015 for $9.5 million was this heir featured in "Foxcatcher"

ORDERS OF MAMMALS $800: Chiroptera is made up exclusively of these, which may be fruit- or insect-eating
(Christine: What are butterflies?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Marcus: $3,600
Christine: $2,900
Katie: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AESOP ASAP (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GIMME 5 (2/4)
FAMOUS SHOPPING STREETS (4/5)
THE BRITISH MONARCH WHO... (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOVIE HEAVEN (5/5)
IT'S "PARA"DISE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Marcus: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Katie: 6 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Christine: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Katie snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Katie had $8,400, Christine had $3,700, and Marcus was at $10,800. Katie wagered $1,000.

AESOP ASAP $2000: Plutarch said Aesop once worked as an advisor to this fabulously rich king of Lydia
(Katie: Who is King Solomon?)
(Alex: No. Who is King [*]? You've heard the expression "rich as [*]".)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Marcus who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Katie had $7,400, Christine had $2,500, and Marcus was at $10,800. Marcus wagered $3,000.

THE BRITISH MONARCH WHO... $1600: introduced England to a form of Norman feudalism

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE BRITISH MONARCH WHO... $1200: did not earn his subjects' love on succeeding his brother Richard the Lionheart
(Christine: Who is Richard III?)
(Marcus: Who is Richard II?)

THE BRITISH MONARCH WHO... $2000: defeated the Danes at the Battle of Edington in 878

FAMOUS SHOPPING STREETS $2000: Avenida Presidente Masaryk

GIMME 5 $1200: This Pirates shortstop was among the first group of 5 elected to baseball's Hall of Fame

GIMME 5 $2000: Aristotle said the universe was made up of 5 elements, the fifth being this elusive substance
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Marcus: $15,400
Katie: $8,200
Christine: $6,100

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD GEOGRAPHY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Marcus: Wager $1,001 to cover Katie, but no more than $3,199 so as not to fall behind Christine's doubled score.
Katie: You have the hope of surpassing Marcus if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,201 to force Marcus to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Christine.
Christine: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This country has 8 of the world's 10 highest peaks

FINAL SCORES
Christine: $6,100 + $3,900 = $10,000 (What is Nepal?) (3rd place)
Katie: $8,200 + $4,100 = $12,300 (What is Nepal?) (2nd place)
Marcus: $15,400 - $1,001 = $14,399 (What is Tibet?) (New champion: $14,399)
(Alex: [To Christine] That's where you'll find Mount Everest.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Marcus: $14,000, 17 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Katie: $9,200, 11 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Christine: $7,400, 19 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $30,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Christine: 20/59 = .339
Marcus: 17/59 = .288
Katie: 12/59 = .203
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SPORTS IN LITERATURE $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Boathouse Row in Philadelphia, PA.) Organized competitive rowing dates back thousands of years, with the first known literary mention in this work by Virgil, who wrote, "the whole sea gapes, torn by the oars"

MAIL CALL $600: "You've got mail!" is still what users of this email service hear
[Christine gave both listed responses.]

TALKING GEOGRAPHY $600: The altitude of every point in the U.K. is measured against a brass bolt in Newlyn, Cornwall, marking this
(Katie: What is the Prime Meridian?)

MINT CONDITION $600: Ah do declare, there's nothing like this bourbon, sugar & mint drink served over crushed ice on derby day

MINT CONDITION $800: Minthe, a nymph from whom we get the plant's name, was turned into mint after the wife of this underworld god got mad
(Katie: Who is Persephone?)

TALKING GEOGRAPHY $400: A Pennsylvania boulder field is an example of moraine, debris deposited by a melting one of these

SPORTS IN LITERATURE $400: Athlete-lawyer Ken Dryden wrote "The Game", this one he played with Serge Savard, Bob Gainey et al.
(Alex: You are correct, with less than a minute to go now.)

IT'S "PARA"DISE $1600: It's the term for the apparent displacement of an object caused by a change in the observation point
(Christine: What is paradigm shift?)
(Marcus: What is the [*] view?)
(Alex: [*]... yes, we'll accept that.)

AESOP ASAP $800: To visit Diego Velazquez's 17th century portrait of Aesop, you'll have to visit this Madrid museum

FAMOUS SHOPPING STREETS $1200: Bond Street in Mayfair
(Alex: With less than a minute to go now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the elephant
duffer
Jim Bouten
John Du Pont
bats
Croesus
William I (William the Conqueror)
King John
Alfred the Great
Mexico City
Honus Wagner
ether
Nepal
the Aeneid
AOL (America Online)
sea level
mint julep
Hades (or Pluto)
a glacier
hockey
parallax
the Prado
London
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

World Geography

This country has 8 of the world's 10 highest peaks.
Spoiler
What is Nepal? Marcus had Tibet.
Christine Qualey: $6,100+$3,900=$10,000

Katie Walker: $8,200+$4,100=$12,300

Marcus Lewis: $15,400-$1,001=now a 1-day champion with $14,399
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Katie's wager vs. Marcus' answer. Which made you slap your forehead the hardest?
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

grindcore wrote:Katie's wager vs. Marcus' answer. Which made you slap your forehead the hardest?
Katie's wager. Hooooo boy.
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Wow.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

I ... don't know what they were thinking. Marcus seemed to not even realize he won.
Golf

Post by Golf »

In the first round Christine has control with 6 clues left, only 4 can contain the unfound DD. Naturally she picks a $200 clue. Is it really that hard to learn just a little bit about the game you're about to play for vast sums of money?

Each contestant found a DD, each failed at wagering.

Those three contestants could have had 100 guesses apiece and still not identified Honus Wagner.

As to the FJ wagers..... hell..... I really don't know what to say. I would cook dinner now, but my mouth is wide open and all the food would fall out.

If we can laugh about a website called justwager4000, I'm thinking about starting www.helpoutchangewagering.com
Last edited by Golf on Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

William the Conqueror as a DD. Parabola for 2k when spotted the 'para'. Capped off by that FJ gimme. And since that clearly wasn't enough to be annoyed about...
grindcore wrote:Katie's wager vs. Marcus' answer. Which made you slap your forehead the hardest?
Hell. When the clue was revealed, I thought the only thing that could surprise me was if anyone missed it. WTF?
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Marcus on the win. I had 42 correct responses including four triple stumpers: Jim Bouton, bats, Mexico City, and ether. I also got the missed DD of elephant. Instaget FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Katie's wager. Tibet at least has some tall mountains in it.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Has anyone checked in on Keith's liquor cabinet yet? It's awfully early in the season to be going for refills ...
Golf

Post by Golf »

Everest straddles the Nepal Tibet border and there is a route to the summit accessible from the Tibetian side. For many years, that was the only way to the top. It's by far from the worst answer in the world.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Having done all this, [she] sought no second term
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

Golf wrote:Everest straddles the Nepal Tibet border and there is a route to the summit accessible from the Tibetan side. For many years, that was the only way to the top. It's by far from the worst answer in the world.
Exactly. I thought Tibet was a very reasonable guess. It's in the Himalayas, and we know it has one of the top ten peaks. It just has the slight disadvantage of not being a country.
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Everest is on the border of Nepal & China.

K2 is on the border of Pakistan & China.

Negbait.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

JonathanHenke wrote:
Golf wrote:Everest straddles the Nepal Tibet border and there is a route to the summit accessible from the Tibetan side. For many years, that was the only way to the top. It's by far from the worst answer in the world.
Exactly. I thought Tibet was a very reasonable guess. It's in the Himalayas, and we know it has one of the top ten peaks. It just has the slight disadvantage of not being a country.
I said China. According to wiki, 5 of the 10 highest peaks, and 9 of 14 Eight Thousanders are located wholly or partly within China.

This is one of those clues that can get harder the more you know.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Wow, just wow. Katie gave the game to Marcus, gift-wrapped with a bow. And it was hilarious when Alex said "A savvy wager makes [Marcus] the new Jeopardy! champion," when all Marcus had done was make the standard cover bet. It would have been more accurate for Alex to say "A wager by Katie that gave her no chance to win makes Marcus the new Jeopardy! champion." What kind of world do we live in where Marcus can win despite flubbing FJ in a crush game and his opponent getting it right, while other contestants had to go up against Matt Jackson?

Instaget FJ here, and when I saw that Christine had Nepal I thought it was going to be a triple-get.

There were some really bad guesses by Marcus's opponents, continuing the pattern from last week. Butterflies a mammal? "Alliteration" in a category that asked for 6-letter words? Persephone a god of the underworld? There was some lovely DD wagering, too.

I know a certain boardie who was almost certainly (or will be, going forward) rooting against Marcus for not knowing not only Bouton, but Honus Wagner. :)

I had LT with Bouton, bats, King John, Wagner, and ether, plus the DD's of elephant and Croesus.

The TOC can't get here soon enough.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hbomb1947 wrote:I know a certain boardie who was almost certainly (or will be, going forward) rooting against Marcus for not knowing not only Bouton, but Honus Wagner.
Me and Mark both. :)
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

All I could think after that was cue the explosion on the Jboard. I am in no way a wagering expert, but it seems to me like you ought to at least try to win the game. Is there any logical reason for her to wager so little, other than very little confidence in her own ability? Perhaps it is all a part and parcel of someone who always wagered $1000 on DDs - just too darn timid.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"