About This Board

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyJ
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: About This Board

Post by BigDaddyJ »

alamble wrote:is there honestly not a way to ban users by IP address?
Even if there were, it's easy enough to mask one's IP address by using one of the many web anonymizers out there.

By the way, what's the backstory on this whole cigar business anyway? I must have missed something.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
Even if there were, it's easy enough to mask one's IP address by using one of the many web anonymizers out there.

By the way, what's the backstory on this whole cigar business anyway? I must have missed something.
It's something he's been doing for years (I'm sure others can elaborate more on it), despite being told time and again to stop it. But hey, when you have the maturity of a 2-year-old and some seriously unresolved mental issues, what do you expect?

Also, aside from being able to mask an IP, most people's IP addresses change on a regular basis. When I had DSL, I had a new IP address every day. With cable now, it changes about once per week (but I can still pretty much force it to change if I wanted to). So, I just delete his posts the moment I see them. Speaking of which, I'll be on vacation until next Monday, so Andy, you and Trainman will have to pick up the slack. ;)
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

alietr wrote:
mennoknight wrote:Is anyone else getting the "your post needs to be approved" message? It ain't like I'm inciting riots here or nothin'.
Your first few posts require approval under the current settings as an anti-spam measure. I'm still playing with various settings to achieve a good balance. Sorry for any inconvenience, and approval is automatic for any non-spam.
Thanks! I guess I will just do some mad crazy postin'.

edit: 5 is the magic number! Death to censorship!!!!
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Whenever a woman wins a game, he makes some sort of tribute to her my "lighting" a ciberial cigar in their honor. I'm not sure if there is some sort of sexual connontation to this or not. But if you really want to see something creepy, google "cyberial cigar" and you'll see links to you tube videos, online articles about players in local papers, etc.

What's really sad is that he is some sort of expert on game show history, so while he could be a valuable part of this board, he chooses to be a troll.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

econgator wrote:Speaking of which, I'll be on vacation until next Monday, so Andy, you and Trainman will have to pick up the slack. ;)
Uh-oh -- I'll be on vacation from Thursday to Monday myself.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:Whenever a woman wins a game, he makes some sort of tribute to her my "lighting" a ciberial cigar in their honor. I'm not sure if there is some sort of sexual connontation to this or not.
Paging Dr. Freud, Dr. Sigmund Freud ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Whenever a woman wins a game, he makes some sort of tribute to her my "lighting" a ciberial cigar in their honor. I'm not sure if there is some sort of sexual connontation to this or not.
Paging Dr. Freud, Dr. Sigmund Freud ...
I thought it was about Clinton.
Nicky
Contributor

Post by Nicky »

I really think that I can follow the rules of the board and not misbehave. However, I don't know how to start a new thread. Could someone please help me with that?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

If you've made 5 posts, you should be able to start a new topic (I think 3 is the magic number; I'd have to check).

Yes, when I started this board, Zach came on and made his usual comment. I banned him once, then banned him again, but it was a different IP number. So it's really just playing whack-a-mole with him. Deleting the comment as soon as it is seen seems to do the trick.
HerbStemple

Post by HerbStemple »

Banning based on IP isn't a good policy since some people share the same public IP with many others. For example, if one user at my workplace were to get banned based on IP, then I would be banned too.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Hi everyone. I suppose the disruption of the Sony board so soon after I became a regular poster there was punishment for five years of lurking. I'm really glad to see the community has found a new home.

-Ian
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

Wow, what a relief to find this board! I'm astonished at the withdrawal I had when the boards disappeared, missing people I only knew by reading.

A few days ago my local station changed the time Jeopardy! will be broadcast to 4:30 pm, so I can now actually participate in the discussions, which really didn't work when the shows were broadcast after midnight, hours after most people had seen the episode. That change made me renew my search for everyone, and I'm SO pleased that someone took initiative to make a new board.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett mentioned on the SHC Rules thread that this board seems to go to another page based on space and not number of posts. I had been under the impression that every page was 15 posts long, but perhaps if there are some really long posts in the thread it gets cut off sooner, and I just haven't noticed it. What I have noticed is that the posts in a thread aren't numbered, and I was wondering if there might be a setting that could be turned on for that. This post is #92 in this thread, but there is no way to tell that just by looking at it. I don't really know why, but I like it when message boards show me what # each post is, so that I know how many more I have to read before I reach the end of the thread. If this is something that can be done, I would sure appreciate it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's looks like you are correct about 15 posts per page and I was incorrect about the length of the posts triggering a new page.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yes, I have it set at 15 posts per page (the default is 10); people can make suggestions in this regard.

As for numbered posts, there is a phpBB "mod" that allows you to incorporate those similar to what we had on the official board, but I'm not quite ready to figure out how to incorporate these mods. On the other hand, I found the following that shows you the overall post number (not in that particular thread/topic): just click on the post icon to the left of the word By at the top left of each post -- the post number is then displayed in the url.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

alietr wrote:Yes, I have it set at 15 posts per page (the default is 10); people can make suggestions in this regard.
I wouldn't mind if you bumped it to 20. The pages certainly don't seem too long, nor have I noticed any lag while loading.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

From the Think Different 4 thread:
Wimple wrote:I would like to participate, but am being blocked from sending private messages. The FAQ pages says to contact an admin, but how do I do that if I'm being blocked?!
Wimple does raise a point here, perhaps the FAQ should also mention the 3 post rule (that is, after all, a frequently asked question round these parts), and there should be a way to contact the admins if you're under the threshold.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well, it looks like we might be here a while. I've gone ahead and renewed the hosting for another month.
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,
alietr wrote: Well, it looks like we might be here a while. I've gone ahead and renewed the hosting for another month.
May we help with the expenses? If you have a PayPal account, I'd be happy to contribute.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

--Pete wrote:May we help with the expenses? If you have a PayPal account, I'd be happy to contribute.

--Pete
Thanks, Pete. I've also received one other offer as well. I'm taking care of it at this point, but I may open it up to contributions further down the road as the site looks increasingly permanent. I appreciate the offer!