2016 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

2016 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante »

Inspired by Woof's 2015 guide, but knowing that in a couple months it would be outdated as far as current events go, I had the idea of starting a 2016 Current Events guide, basically keeping track of major (at the time) stories that might fade from the short term memory but are still fair game for J! questions.

It'll be a perpetual work in progress until 31 Dec, 2016, so regular checkups suggested (and definitely suggest things that I should probably include too!)

January

Baseball Hall of Fame inductees: Ken Griffey Jr, Mariners. Mike Piazza, Mets. Griffey replaces Tom Seaver as top vote getter. Source

Zika virus outbreak in Central, South America. Mosquito vector, allegedly causes microcephaly in newborns. Source
CDC has issued a travel alert Source

February

Carolina Panthers (Cam Newton) vs. Denver Broncos (Peyton Manning) at Levi's Stadium (Santa Clara, CA) Super Bowl 50

88th Academy Awards hosted by Chris Rock.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2016 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Blue Lion »

A most excellent idea, and I congratulate you.

Some possible additions:

Current Events

A state of emergency was declared in Flint, Michigan, whose water supply was contaminated with lead.

Sports

Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant will retire at the end of the 2015-16 season, his 20th--all with the Lakers.

Notable 2016 Deaths

David Bowie (“Space Oddity”, “Starman”, “Fame”, "Space Oddity”; alter ego Ziggy Stardust; his widow is model Iman Abdulmajid).
Glenn Frey (guitarist for The Eagles).
Alan Rickman (played villains Severus Snape in the Harry Potter series and Hans Gruber in Die Hard).
Abe Vigoda (played Detective Fish on Barney Miller and Sal Tessio in The Godfather).
Last edited by Blue Lion on Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Beatrix Potter's The Tale of Kitty-in-Boots will be published 150 years after the author's birth.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Still wondering the best way to maintain this...editing the first post AND having to add a new post seems redundant (cause if I edit it doesn't get bumped and I'm not a fan of the post to bump theory...) Plus having to reread things tends to make stuff stick better.

~~

Pacific League wins NHL All Star Game, John Scott, No Team, wins MVP. Source

Normally I wouldn't think the NHL All Star Game would qualify as J! material, but the unusual circumstances behind John Scott getting his spot makes me think they'll try to find a way to use it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being "John Scott scored two goals while representing no team during this sport's All Star Game" and dropped in the top row.

Short version: Scott (Arizona Coyotes) wasn't on the ballot, but voters wrote him in. The NHL didn't think this was a good idea and asked him to release a statement telling people not to vote for him. It failed, and he not only got voted in but ended up being Captain. Then there were some unusually timed trades that sent Scott to the AHL (i.e., minor league) and he no longer qualified for the All Star game. Fan outrage resulted in the NHL restoring his eligibility and he played with a generic jersey (No Team). (Yes, that was the short version.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Minor editing:
Volante wrote:Pacific League Division wins NHL All Star Game, John Scott, No Team, wins MVP. Source
OCSam
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Volante wrote:Still wondering the best way to maintain this...editing the first post AND having to add a new post seems redundant (cause if I edit it doesn't get bumped and I'm not a fan of the post to bump theory...) Plus having to reread things tends to make stuff stick better.

~~

Normally I wouldn't think the NHL All Star Game would qualify as J! material, but the unusual circumstances behind John Scott getting his spot makes me think they'll try to find a way to use it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being "John Scott scored two goals while representing no team during this sport's All Star Game" and dropped in the top row.

Short version: Scott (Arizona Coyotes) wasn't on the ballot, but voters wrote him in. The NHL didn't think this was a good idea and asked him to release a statement telling people not to vote for him. It failed, and he not only got voted in but ended up being Captain. Then there were some unusually timed trades that sent Scott to the AHL (i.e., minor league) and he no longer qualified for the All Star game. Fan outrage resulted in the NHL restoring his eligibility and he played with a generic jersey (No Team). (Yes, that was the short version.)
The long version: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/a-guy-like-me/
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I don't know if he's got any future in hockey or as an engineer, but he could make a go as a writer. That was a very moving article.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Woof wrote:
I don't know if he's got any future in hockey or as an engineer, but he could make a go as a writer. That was a very moving article.
Yes, as are many on that website - "The Player's Tribune", which has first-person stories from athletes. I presume they all have ghost writers/editors of some sort to help them, but I've read several moving pieces about life as a pro athlete.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alphabet (parent company of Google) has surpassed Apple as most valuable traded U.S. company.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Alphabet (parent company of Google) has surpassed Apple as most valuable traded U.S. company.
Thank you for this. Just the fact that Google Inc. is owned by a holding company called Alphabet Inc. is a relatively current event, having just occurred in October 2015 (although the plans for it were announced a few months earlier); and I hadn't been aware of it. I could see it coming up in a "Business & Industry" clue along the lines of "Since October 2015, Google has been owned by this holding company that knows its ABC's."
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
BulgarianBeast
Valued Contributor

Post by BulgarianBeast »

SPORTS

Novak Djokovic won an Open Era record 6th Australian Open and 11th Major title overall, defeating Andy Murray in the final.
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

boson wrote:
Volante wrote:Still wondering the best way to maintain this...editing the first post AND having to add a new post seems redundant (cause if I edit it doesn't get bumped and I'm not a fan of the post to bump theory...) Plus having to reread things tends to make stuff stick better.

~~

The long version: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/a-guy-like-me/
A fascinating and ultimately heartwarming story. I never heard of this before this thread (not a big sports follower, as my LL sports score can attest, and hockey least of all) -- thanks for sharing.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Reminded by the Nationwide clue in the 03 Feb game...
This started in December but might get more play as the Super Bowl creeps up

Al Jazeera releases report that alleges Peyton Manning bought human growth hormone. NFL to investigate.
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/1/26/1 ... n-timeline
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote:Reminded by the Nationwide clue in the 03 Feb game...
This started in December but might get more play as the Super Bowl creeps up

Al Jazeera releases report that alleges Peyton Manning bought human growth hormone. NFL to investigate.
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/1/26/1 ... n-timeline
That Al Jazeera story was based on information provided by a source who later recanted.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

A few thoughts:

1. Can the board's PTB make the study guide a sticky?

2. For best results, one person should be the editor-in-chief of the guide. He/she would be the arbiter of what facts are possible Jeopardy questions* and how they're organized.

3. I'm willing to help maintain the guide regardless of who, if anyone, is editor-in-chief.

* Not just on the online test, but on regular Jeopardy as well. "Pop Songs of 2015" was a category in Monday's game.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Deaths:
04 Feb - Edgar Mitchell, LM Pilot of Apollo 14, 6th man to walk on the moon, one day shy of the 45th anniversary of the landing.
http://gizmodo.com/rip-apollo-14-astron ... 1757382904
Batraxos
Multiple Swimmer

Post by Batraxos »

Barbie gets curves... Time magazine 2/8/16
Barbie shows up in J! from time to time, and her 60th birthday is approaching.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Cam Newton named NFL MVP.
Panthers coach Ron Rivera named Coach of the Year. Texans' JJ Watt gets his 3rd Defensive Player of the Year award.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

February: The High Mountains of Portugal: A Novel by Yann (Life of Pi) Martel
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Super Bowl ad reminded of this one:

Marvel Comics character and movie Feb. 12: Deadpool/Wade Wilson to be played by Ryan "Green Lantern" Reynolds