Monday, February 1, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

VAdame
Contributor

Re: Monday, February 1, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by VAdame »

NHO "plank" in the political context. Poll request?
"Planks" are what "platforms" are built of!

I pre-called FJ too - and was right! I wavered a little about Niagara Falls (TR was, after all, a New Yorker!) , but since that's so associated with Canada, I figured it just had to be the Grand Canyon.
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

econgator wrote:
Golf wrote:The FJ clue said "one great site", singular.
Sight, not site.
Homphonic error aside, how were any of their guesses complicated anyway?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

grindcore wrote:Required reading for future college championship contestants:

Betting Everything: Don't do it
Final Jeopardy!: Keep it Simple
Goteborg and Uppsala: They're in Sweden for Crying out Loud
They had to bet everything. Their scores were too low for a wild card, so betting small would do nothing for them. They had to bet everything and hope it would be enough for a wild card.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

Here's another one:

"It was like lying in a great solemn cathedral, far vaster and more beautiful than any built by the hand of man."

What is Teddy talking about this time?
Spoiler
Yosemite
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Golf wrote:The FJ clue said "one great site", singular. Not an entire park, but the lone greatest natural wonder in the US. This was the key phrase, not TR. Parsing the clue correctly leaves only one answer. Don't try to make things too complicated in a college tournament.
So instead of overcomplicating, read between the lines with an electron microscope to gather the most nuanced twist of the words ever?
What in the world is nuanced about "one great sight"?? I get that people think that it's too vague for anyone to know the answer with certainty (unless one is a Roosevelt scholar), but the logical choices are pretty limited. (And Rushmore?? Seriously? Unless you misheard the clue ...).

Especially in the College Tournament, I expect the writers to come up with at least a few clues that require a little thought, and maybe an educated guess.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Guessed the right answer immediately, but that is a bad clue in my opinion. Totally understand the Yosemite and Yellowstone guesses, as they arguably make more sense than the canyon.

Disappointing game from the contestants, all of whom could have benefited from just learning to keep clam when they don't know the answer. UVa guy with his William Lloyd Garrison and Little Red Riding Hood guesses was especially bad in this regard.

As far as I can recall, this marks the first Jeopardy mentions of Bernie Sanders, Melissa Benoist, and Wiz Khalifa, who are most certainly three people who've never been in my kitchen.

Got my LL invite today. Can't wait to meet you on the field of battle!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I considered Niagara Falls and Old Faithful for this FJ, as well as the correct response.

The fact that TR was from New York was one thing pulling me toward Niagara Falls, and the fact that TR was big on national parks made me lean slightly toward Yellowstone, which I consider the "canonical" national park, but I moved away from Yellowstone. I thought the quote was unlikely to refer to Yellowstone as a whole, and Old Faithful, interesting as it is, is not quite major enough to feel like a correct response.

I agree in retrospect that the Grand Canyon feels like the "best" response, because of being the most obvious example of an enormous and impressive natural wonder in the US, but I had already written down "Niagara Falls" because of the connection to TR's home state. :( I guess this was the time to completely ignore where TR was from. (One could still make a case for Niagara Falls being the second most impressive well-known natural wonder in the US, so I don't think it was a terrible guess, and I didn't love the "unpinnedness" of the clue.)
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

"You get a neg! YOU get a neg! YOU GET A NEG! EVERYONE GETS A NEG!"
Did I mention there were a lot of negs? Games are usually won in Double Jeopardy; the USMA contestant got off to a great start and would have won easily by staying bivalve. Two of the wagers would've been terrible in a normal game, but $6-7k aren't enough for a wild card, so unfortunately they had to go all-in.
I had $33,200 and 41 right, but I went full TPH on that Final with "That could literally be anything!" and said "Old Faithful." Unless you recognized the quote, it was an instaguess.
Who else got the $1000 clue in "Provinces" from the Travel 2 ML championship?
Hoping for a third lap
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Congrats to Emily on the win.

Add me to the "I thought this was an awful clue but I guessed right anyway" camp. I wavered between the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls (of all my commercial break precalls , which also included Old Faithful, those two seemed to best fit the superlative in the quote), but crossed out N.F. and wrote "Grand Canyon" with several seconds to go in the think music. Honestly, the quote was so vague that I saw little basis to choose between the two sites. And if anything, there were some factors pulling me away from the correct response (like the aforementioned fact that Niagara Falls is in TR's home state, and that I associate his travels in the western U.S. with places that are a bit to the north of Arizona, such as the Badlands; I wasn't even sure if he'd been to the Grand Canyon). I'm just glad that this time I came out on the right side of a coin flip.

ETA: I had "extremities" for "extremes." Judges?
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

triviawayne wrote:

They had to bet everything. Their scores were too low for a wild card, so betting small would do nothing for them. They had to bet everything and hope it would be enough for a wild card.

sarisson wrote:Two of the wagers would've been terrible in a normal game, but $6-7k aren't enough for a wild card, so unfortunately they had to go all-in.

Ye must be prophets.
Now I'll make my own prophecy:
All we need are four more wagers like that with incorrect responses, then $1 buys a wild card. The week is young.

In Carissa's case (I'll use her for an example, since she had the lowest score), I'd much rather take my chances with $9995 or $5; verses $10000 or the door permanately closed.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Maybe that's the "first time" event. More than 4 people ended the first round with $0, so they didn't have enough people to qualify for the second round?
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

sarisson wrote: Who else got the $1000 clue in "Provinces" from the Travel 2 ML championship?
Well, I got the Darien Gap clue correct in the Travel 2 ML championship, so . . . :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Month (5), Election (1), Sheer (5), Country (4), Pop (4), "Ex" "Oh" (2)
African (4), Pop (3), Architecture (2), Reading (2), 5-Letter (5), Stars (2)

Lach Trash: Chris Brown, Panama, extreme, Luxor, Swede; DD: Booker T. Washington

I guessed Niagara Falls instead.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

xxaaaxx wrote:Possible poll choice: I got Monday's FJ because I recognized the quote. I sure as hell won't be checking it.
I think this quote calls for an Austin Powers-style poll. :D
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

tiwonge wrote:Maybe that's the "first time" event. More than 4 people ended the first round with $0, so they didn't have enough people to qualify for the second round?
They'd go back to the pre-Final Jeopardy! scores to break the tie. That procedure was used in the 2003 Tournament of Champions, when only two of the ten non-winning quarterfinalists had positive totals.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ABC decided to preempt the reading of Final to tell me Ted Cruz clinched the Iowa Caucus, got back in time to watch negs for Yellowstone and Old Faithful. Decided to give Niagara a shot after reading it here, so I got it wrong twice over (Yellowstone would've been my first guess).

...and I'm still seriously considering phoning ABC cause goddamnit, they wouldn't -dare- do this with WoF.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Category 13 wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

sarisson wrote:Two of the wagers would've been terrible in a normal game, but $6-7k aren't enough for a wild card, so unfortunately they had to go all-in.

Ye must be prophets.
Now I'll make my own prophecy:
All we need are four more wagers like that with incorrect responses, then $1 buys a wild card. The week is young.

In Carissa's case (I'll use her for an example, since she had the lowest score), I'd much rather take my chances with $9995 or $5; verses $10000 or the door permanately closed.

Of course a meteor could hit the studio and everyone loses; but looking at history, that scenario is as likely as yours.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote:ABC decided to preempt the reading of Final to tell me Ted Cruz clinched the Iowa Caucus, got back in time to watch negs for Yellowstone and Old Faithful. Decided to give Niagara a shot after reading it here, so I got it wrong twice over (Yellowstone would've been my first guess).

...and I'm still seriously considering phoning ABC cause goddamnit, they wouldn't -dare- do this with WoF.
I'm paying a little more attention to WoF than usual just for the hope of a tit-for-tat of another break-in since the Dem. side was too close to call. On my station when they got back it was just as Emily was being announced as the semifinalist.

George S. at ABC must have had his ears ringing from miles away after my verbal reaction to the interruption. I won't pile on, but I'm sure KGO is getting flooded with angry calls and messages since this is a very loyal J! market. 2016 is going to be a long year.

And since I am quite mad at politics now I will protest by denying the poll request for plank.

For the other request of knew the TR quote I will need to see some posts by people indicating they would be checking it otherwise I'm going with all Grand Canyon people making their best guess.

My precalls off the FJ! category were Niagara Falls, Old Faithful and Grand Canyon. When I saw the clue (Thank you J! Fan) I was not feeling the water ones while throwing national parks into the mix. I had to give the boot to Panama Canal trying to sneak into my thought process. I settled on Grand Canyon feeling a twinge of something familiar that probably has some credit to Ken Burns.

For the QF round of a tournament I do not think that is a great clue.

Wheel aired with no interruptions. Figures.

Time to watch Melissa Benoist.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Am reminded of a story Frank Spangenberg told on one of his return appearances to the show-- he was at the Grand Canyon when a woman next to him said "oh my God", to which he answered "yeah, it's quite a sight", whereupon she said "you're that guy from Jeopardy!"
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When Supergirl started it was James Brown of CBS with an opening promoting Super Bowl Night and I thought I was going to have more programming fits until the real episode began. My blood pressure tonight. :)