LL68: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: LL68: For the LLamas

Post by alietr »

alietr wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:A helpful hint for rookies: if you come up with an answer, even if it's a wild guess, go ahead and submit if you can't think of anything better. I thought of vitamin for question 6, but didn't think it was right, so I left the space blank.
I don't think I've ever left a question blank. If I have no idea at all, I will go for BWA, even though I have no chance since Thorsten hasn't the slightest sense of humor (in my opinion, of course).
"War of Hardy Boy Succession"??? Did anybody find that to be funny or particularly apropos? The man just plain mystifies me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

And why go for BWA on that one? Even if you have no idea, you certainly can name some wars to put down as a guess. I went for Spanish Civil War based on San Carlos being one of the battles. Not right, but certainly plausible.
pburns1587
Valued Contributor

Post by pburns1587 »

I went 4(2)-3(1) to go to 3-0 on the season, good enough for Rank 2 in Badlands R. I need to remember that other people know a ton about the beach boys apparently.

I also put down Schindler's List for the longest best picture question then immediately knew I was wrong when I hit the button. I would have changed my answer to Ben-Hur though, so no harm done.

I was a member of the wavelength crew, and all of my physics professors in college have petitioned to have me stripped of my mech. engineering degree.

Falklands War seemed pretty easy if you knew it existed and who was involved. I'd never heard of any of these battle names, but they seem very British and have a "San Carlos" thrown in there - it was the only thing that fit.

So far I'm loving the LL addition to my life, only a matter of time before I come crashing back to Earth. Goal is still to not end up in an E rundle. Well on my way there.
Consciously Incompetent
Lampy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lampy »

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I must be the first person to attempt a BWA and get a correct answer instead.

For the fragrance question, I had no idea on the correct answer but figured I had enough info to try for a joke answer instead. Dumas of course lead me to the Muskateers, and I thought of "Aramist" (get it, "Aramis" and "mist"?) I thought it was pretty funny and put it in. Learning the correct answer upon submission had me surprised to say the least, but still wasn't certain my answer would be marked correct. I was more than surprised when it was!

(Before you complain, I still lost 3(2)-2(3), so I'd've lost regardless.)

"Spaghetti" was a pretty easy get for me - despite not being near any of those cities ever I was reminded of driving in Kansas City last summer for my audition and thinking "the city planners must've just thrown a plate of spaghetti at the wall and said "this will be our city!" (There is also an intersection here in Winnipeg that has occasionally been referred to as "Spaghetti Junction", but the most popular name by far for the said intersection in common parlance here is Confusion Corner.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:
alietr wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:A helpful hint for rookies: if you come up with an answer, even if it's a wild guess, go ahead and submit if you can't think of anything better. I thought of vitamin for question 6, but didn't think it was right, so I left the space blank.
I don't think I've ever left a question blank. If I have no idea at all, I will go for BWA, even though I have no chance since Thorsten hasn't the slightest sense of humor (in my opinion, of course).
"War of Hardy Boy Succession"??? Did anybody find that to be funny or particularly apropos? The man just plain mystifies me.
Made no sense to me, but then his BWA's rarely do.

I actually thought about the Falklands, but it only stuck in my head as a Conflict or Crisis. I put the Gulf War (still would have lost had I put Falklands, so I'm not all that upset about it).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

OSXpert wrote:
boson wrote:I feel like I played defence against the whole league today: I saw the alternate answer of wavelength, knew it was wrong, and quickly wrote to Thorsten. Yeah, I was that guy. To be fair, I get paid to do this, particularly during the 2 weeks I taught a unit on waves during January.
As someone who answered wavelength, I wouldn't want to get credit for an answer I got wrong, so alls well. I could have gotten period if I had thought about it a little longer, and I've only got myself to blame.
I feel even more culpable. As I entered my answer of wavelength, I was saying to myself that it isn't the reciprocal but merely inversely proportional, but then fixated on he word "common" in the clue and incorrectly surmised that Thorsten was indeed looking for wavelength rather than period. When I saw the initial answer, I breathed a sigh of relief at having dodged a bullet, only to later learn that my answer was negged. Fortunately, it didn't affect the outcome of my match.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I also answered "wavelength" and kicked myself when I saw the answer. It was a knee jerk reaction and if I'd thought about it I would have known that was wrong. Any engineer worth their salt would know the units for frequency are time^-1, thus the reciprocal would have time as its unit, not length.

It actually worked out for me. My opponent was ElendilPickle and she assigned zero for that question and I ended up with a 9(5). I flipped the coin correctly on the movie question between LoA and Gandhi.
pburns1587
Valued Contributor

Post by pburns1587 »

The way you talked through the period question really makes me think about how I've been answering the questions. I think I'm going to start rubber ducking these questions to myself every day. I bet doing the videos has some appreciable effect on your correct answer % since it forces you to talk through your answers.
Consciously Incompetent
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I was recently doing some reading about the (literal) match cut in Lawrence of Arabia, so it was pretty fresh in my mind and after trying to visualize all of my dads double VHS movies I couldn't come up with something that would edge it out.

I was sweating a little since I said "Falkland Islands War" instead of Falklands War, but it was accepted.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote:It actually worked out for me. My opponent was ElendilPickle and she assigned zero for that question and I ended up with a 9(5). I flipped the coin correctly on the movie question between LoA and Gandhi.
Gandhi? The whole second half of the movie is Candice Bergen!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:It actually worked out for me. My opponent was ElendilPickle and she assigned zero for that question and I ended up with a 9(5). I flipped the coin correctly on the movie question between LoA and Gandhi.
I said Gandhi as well. Seemed reasonable: long oscar winning biopic about a male-dominated culture. You don't actually expect us to have seen the movies or read the books we're answering questions about, do you?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm trying to remember if women appear at all in LoA other when they're singing (if that's what it is) on the cliffs when they head off to Aqaba.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

I did like the BWA for that Q: Ben-Him.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

patkav wrote:I did like the BWA for that Q: Ben-Him.
Considering I answered "Ben Hur", I didn't. Too soon.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Sorry, man.

I cycled through all the religious epics in my head and decided they must have women, because who else would be obsequious toward the men. Pretty much lucked into LoA.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Guessed the Deer Hunter...knew it was long and somehow blocked Meryl's performance out.
Guessed Macaroni for Spaghetti. Feels like 1/2 marks to me. Currently sitting 1st in a B rundle and don't like that one bit.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote:
alietr wrote:
I said Gandhi as well. Seemed reasonable: long oscar winning biopic about a male-dominated culture. You don't actually expect us to have seen the movies or read the books we're answering questions about, do you?
Dances with Wolves here.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

econgator wrote:
boson wrote:
alietr wrote:
Dances with Wolves here.
There are several Best Picture winners I haven't seen that seemed vaguely plausible here, since their subject matter, as far as I knew, was a relatively male-dominated world. In addition to the movies already mentioned, Unforgiven and Braveheart also entered my mind as possibilities.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

alietr wrote:
alietr wrote:
Hardy Boys books' titles were often but not exclusively in the form of "The ____ of the _____ ______" ("The Secret of the Old Clock"; "The Mystery of Cabin Island"; "The Sign of the Crooked Arrow"). Hence the echo of the format in the original question ("The Battle of San Carlos, Battle of Goose Green, Assault on Mount Kent, Bluff Cove Air Attacks, and Battle of Mount Longdon").

Yes, I got it right away, and even laughed. What does that say about me?

Rex