LL68: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

pburns1587
Valued Contributor

Re: LL68: For the LLamas

Post by pburns1587 »

Woof wrote:
pburns1587 wrote:I had no idea on Dulcinea, I assumed (correctly) that the "sweet" mentions were clues, and went with Carmelita
Better watch out before he asks for Rocinante :mrgreen:
I just finished watching The Expanse too -- I have no excuses.
Consciously Incompetent
plasticene
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by plasticene »

Vermonter wrote:
alietr wrote:
triviawayne wrote:With no knowledge of pinochle, I thought the answer would be trump card and something else...

So I put Trump & Christie

But no BWA love:(
No BWA because it was actually funny!
More likely there were multiple of the same response, which I would think disqualifies it from consideration (given that every BWA candidate at season's end is tied to one player).

I suppose that's the natural progression of BWAs as population size grows: they need to be more "out there" to have a chance of being solo responses.
That may have once been the case, but there were two finalists for Very Best Wrong Answer last season that were apparently each submitted by over 10 players. (see http://www.learnedleague.com/hist/awards/67.php) Both were not only "actually funny", but pretty hilarious, IMO.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

For yesterday's set there were *17* 9(6)s in my 30-person rundle (and that was with two forfeits!). All told, the 28 people who did play missed only 15 answers. Did this set of questions have the highest total get rate ever?

Rex
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Finally got my first win of the season!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Most breathtaking thing I've ever seen was Kilimanjaro looming above the clouds from a plane last year. Would have kicked myself if I missed that.

Apparently there was never a military position called "Peacemaker"

Ive won 4 in a row so I'm headed for a losing streak I think.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

OSXpert wrote:Most breathtaking thing I've ever seen was Kilimanjaro looming above the clouds from a plane last year. Would have kicked myself if I missed that.
I had the same experience. Nothing but clouds as far as the eye could see, and then suddenly one lone mountain peak popping through. As I type it, it doesn't sound particularly interesting, but I also found it to be an incredible view, both because of how unique the viewpoint and also because of how unexpected and sudden.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Now I'm curious: what route were you flying that you went over Kilimanjaro? I flew over Mt. Fuji once, and that was quite dramatic. And pretty damn symmetric.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have no idea how I managed to get both countries right for the mountain, nor do I know why I guessed Pixar for a list of movies I had never heard of before.

Those were the lone bright spots in a 5(4)-2(2) loss. I could not remember Don Quixote's girlfriend's exact name and the Minuteman missile also eluded me.
mpahu
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mpahu »

I thought all the titles sounded like animated films, but since I had never heard of any of them, I figured it couldn't be Pixar. I went with Dreamworks instead.

Thank you, high school me, for choosing Spanish over French all those years ago. I'll have to cherish this when a French question comes up down the road.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Bamaman wrote:I have no idea how I managed to get both countries right for the mountain, nor do I know why I guessed Pixar for a list of movies I had never heard of before.

Those were the lone bright spots in a 5(4)-2(2) loss. I could not remember Don Quixote's girlfriend's exact name and the Minuteman missile also eluded me.
Wished I played you yesterday rather than tomorrow. (I'm PrestonC) My opponent got all 6 right.
mrexley
Valued Contributor

Post by mrexley »

My opponent and I tied 9(6)-9(6), which is what I feared would happen after looking at his good (early) stats.

Had to strain my brain for a few minutes to get Don Quixote's love interest. I knew it was something like Dorotea? Rosalia? Rosacea? (no, that's a skin condition)

... eventually Dulcinea just popped up in my head, lucky for me it was correct. Only after submitting did I realize that I completely missed the 'sweet/sweetheart' hint in the question.
Learned League: KimEd
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

alietr wrote:Now I'm curious: what route were you flying that you went over Kilimanjaro? I flew over Mt. Fuji once, and that was quite dramatic. And pretty damn symmetric.
This was the whole trip:
NYC --> Casablanca --> Ouagadougou --> Accra --> Nairobi --> Kigali --> Addis Ababa --> Kilimanjaro --> Zanzibar --> Dar Es Salaam --> Doha --> NYC

We were visiting friends in Burkina Faso and Rwanda, and then vacationing in Zanzibar. Our flight from Rwanda to Zanzibar made two stops - one of them at the base of Kilimanjaro.
mikeyb
Zergalicious

Post by mikeyb »

The list of films puzzled me for a moment, but then I remembered Luxo Jr. It's the little hopping lamp you see in the Pixar logo before any of its films.

Managed to win with 6(4), but frustrated myself on Minuteman! I had that written down then convinced myself that wasn't a "military person" and wrote down Patriot. Speaking of munitions, I thought Vicente Fox's recent f-bomb hit on Trump would boost that one's get rate, but I wondered whether anyone would err with "Vincente." Especially if they were Liza fans.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

mikeyb wrote:Speaking of munitions, I thought Vicente Fox's recent f-bomb hit on Trump would boost that one's get rate, but I wondered whether anyone would err with "Vincente." Especially if they were Liza fans.
I typed "Vincente" and got credit. It wouldn't get accepted on J!, though.
I missed out on a 5 on a bad coin flip between "Pixar" and "Blue Sky." I haven't had a 5 or 6 all season, but I'm near the top of C Rundle. The thought of getting promoted excites and terrifies me.
Hoping for a third lap
alamble

Post by alamble »

mikeyb wrote:The list of films puzzled me for a moment, but then I remembered Luxo Jr. It's the little hopping lamp you see in the Pixar logo before any of its films.
They're all Pixar shorts. Sanjay's Super Team ran before The Good Dinosaur and was nominated for the Oscar for Best Animated Short.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I remember a kid in some spelling bee getting "dulcinea" as his word, and given the Spanish origin and English pronunciation given, he spelled it "dulcinilla."
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

alamble wrote:
mikeyb wrote:The list of films puzzled me for a moment, but then I remembered Luxo Jr. It's the little hopping lamp you see in the Pixar logo before any of its films.
They're all Pixar shorts. Sanjay's Super Team ran before The Good Dinosaur and was nominated for the Oscar for Best Animated Short.
And Tin Toy is the short from which the concept for Toy Story was conceived.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtFYP4t9TG0
Sprinkles are for winners.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Well, I got my forfeit win...sitting at 3-7 after two weeks. Was shocked that only 34% of players knew about Roarke and Tattoo from "Fantasy Island". I've enjoyed catching up on those old episodes daily on FamilyNet and Cozi TV; the show is definitely different watching it now than it was when on in Prime Time and I was much younger.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

15th place in my Rookie Rundle, 3-6-1. 6th in TCA, have the highest CAA (by 6!). Conclusion: Through the first 2 weeks, everyone I've played has basically had a career day....4 of my opponents have gotten their most correct answers in their match against me. I guess I just inspire people to do their best! :lol:

If this keeps up, looks like I'll start off in E. Nowhere to go but up, eh? Either way, despite the occasional frustration, this has been a lot of fun so far!
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

OSXpert wrote:
alietr wrote:Now I'm curious: what route were you flying that you went over Kilimanjaro? I flew over Mt. Fuji once, and that was quite dramatic. And pretty damn symmetric.
This was the whole trip:
NYC --> Casablanca --> Ouagadougou --> Accra --> Nairobi --> Kigali --> Addis Ababa --> Kilimanjaro --> Zanzibar --> Dar Es Salaam --> Doha --> NYC

We were visiting friends in Burkina Faso and Rwanda, and then vacationing in Zanzibar. Our flight from Rwanda to Zanzibar made two stops - one of them at the base of Kilimanjaro.
Well that's an impressive trip. My Kilimanjaro siting came on the second leg of a DC->Addis Abbaba->Johannesburg flight.