Tuesday, March 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Tuesday, March 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

To make it worse (if that is even possible), her bet allowed Brent to win the game on a TS if he bets zero.

Yes, Keith usually gets tons of tweets and texts if something crazy happens. He needs to move to Montgomery so he can see it before everyone else.

I knew that was Hef's daughter but couldn't remember her first name, I doubt they'd have just taken "Who is Hefner?".

The J! Facebook page seems to be ignoring the wager and concerning themselves with the Playboy category.
Fishercat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fishercat »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:If you mis-double 2nd and 3rd place's scores, you might think you just have a crush game here and bet that large according.

Annie played very well in the first two rounds. Honestly, I think she just messed up that part of the math. Not hubris or anything like that.

I think all y'all's shade is kinda harsh and uncalled for.
Alex did essentially indicate she had a lock at the end of DJ. It seems like a stretch to assume a math error
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

For FJ, The only thing I can think of is a math mistake.
How come we did not get to see 5 clues in DJ? Just felt like game ended early rather than candidates slowing up.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

My remote picked a fine time to stop working -- while I was fast-forwarding to Final Jeopardy. By the time I got control again, I had seen the contestants' answers. So I'll never know if I would have known that FJ. Seems easy enough.

RIP in peace, Keith.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Second place had $7,200, so doubling it isn't that hard. Even if she didn't have a lock, she bet way more than was necessary.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

dinghammer wrote:RIP in peace, Keith.
Is that anything like LOL out loud?

I whiffed on FJ! for no good reason. I started thinking of names such as Charles and Elizabeth and couldn't get unstuck from English names. I was tempted to pause because I figured I'd think of it eventually, but I decided to try to get it in 30 seconds.

This is one of those times where I'd really, really like to know what Annie was thinking but don't expect to find out.
mpahu
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mpahu »

"Sure, skip Jeopardy for bar trivia today, it'll be fine."

On second thought, probably for the best. Might have thrown something at my TV.
Last edited by mpahu on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right.

Route 66 (5), Playboy (4), TV (5), Lit (2), Congress (3), Homophones (2)
Organs (1), Composer (2), Glitter (4), "THY" (3), Rotten (1), Depp (1)

Lach Trash: Amarillo, ex, Paris; DD: Grapes of Wrath, Grant Wood

Not instant, but I actually thought of the Panama cities- (Cristóbal) Colón, before the US capitals.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:Second place had $7,200, so doubling it isn't that hard. Even if she didn't have a lock, she bet way more than was necessary.
I would like to see the mathematical proof of both of those statements.

The first seems like more a matter of opinion, and what is hard to double for any one person will not be the same as another. But the second part...if she didn't have a lock, then how much would be necessary?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Second place had $7,200, so doubling it isn't that hard. Even if she didn't have a lock, she bet way more than was necessary.

The first seems like more a matter of opinion, and what is hard to double for any one person will not be the same as another. But the second part...if she didn't have a lock, then how much would be necessary?
Sorry, that came out wrong. What I meant was if she had been just shy of a lock (which some are thinking she believed), she bet way more than she needed to shut out second place. If she had bet $1,000, I might agree she made a math error, but this bet seems like she just wrote down a huge number for no reason.
Spokes
Contributor

Post by Spokes »

Bamaman wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:

Sorry, that came out wrong. What I meant was if she had been just shy of a lock (which some are thinking she believed), she bet way more than she needed to shut out second place. If she had bet $1,000, I might agree she made a math error, but this bet seems like she just wrote down a huge number for no reason.
Betting huge in a crush is perfectly defensible if the third player isn't a factor (don't know if this was the case here)
SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

Linear Gnome wrote:
dinghammer wrote:RIP in peace, Keith.
Is that anything like LOL out loud?

I whiffed on FJ! for no good reason. I started thinking of names such as Charles and Elizabeth and couldn't get unstuck from English names. I was tempted to pause because I figured I'd think of it eventually, but I decided to try to get it in 30 seconds.

This is one of those times where I'd really, really like to know what Annie was thinking but don't expect to find out.
I basically worked my way up the East Coast and got to Columbia, SC, and then it clicked for me. Not quite instaget, but pretty close. Probably wasn't great strategy, and I lucked into Columbia being 3rd on the way north.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It had to be a deliberate Attempted Clavin. Didn't Alex even say it was a runaway before they placed their bets?
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

alietr wrote:It had to be a deliberate Attempted Clavin. Didn't Alex even say it was a runaway before they placed their bets?
"taking [Brent] up to seventy two hundred, and... oh, look at the scores. The gentlemen are not happy. Let's go to Final Jeopardy!..."
That was coupled with a visible show of anguish from Brent as end-of-round sounded.

From the correlation-isn't causation file: the last two players to Clavin both made the Tournament of Champions.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

In retrospect, I should have known Amarillo because it's in the song lyric I've heard hundreds of times.

Brent jumped to $1600 in the rotten category and rang in first, but Annie got the garbage. :)
hscer

Post by hscer »

I haven't posted in a while because I haven't been watching, but I decided to tonight because the DVR is still recording them and it's better than watching Donald Trump news...but WTH was the end of this one?! From picking a non-2000 clue with less than a minute left in a runaway to the last FJ wager (though my first thought was she didn't realize she had a lock).

This is one of those where as someone who always takes the test and never passes, you start to make yourself think you could actually succeed just by figuring out Grant Wood and picking appropriate clue values late in a game.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Linear Gnome wrote: This is one of those times where I'd really, really like to know what Annie was thinking but don't expect to find out.
I have a theory: 'If I get it wrong, then there is a strong possibility that the guys are also going to get it wrong.' So she predicts Brent will wager something substantial to cover Paul's doubled score, and she makes sure she will not drop below Paul since he may wager very small anyway.
It has something to do with the likelyhood of of a very easy, or very difficult clue. And I've seen people on this board fall back on that reasoning to support their wagering logic.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:
floridagator wrote:Annie's FJ wager was pure hubris.
This time, I agree completely. What the actual f^%$ was that?
I suspect it was pure blithe ignorance. But there's a chance it was hubris, so I don't object to breaking out the word. If she knew she had a lock and bet that amount anyway, it definitely applies. Wow.

Either way, I can still wish her well. But I can't root for her. Why oh why oh why oh why couldn't she have missed? Alternatively, why couldn't I have been at her viewing party? I'm sure, wherever she is, she heard me yelling at my TV screen, but still....
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote:
econgator wrote:
floridagator wrote:Annie's FJ wager was pure hubris.
This time, I agree completely. What the actual f^%$ was that?
I suspect it was pure blithe ignorance. But there's a chance it was hubris, so I don't object to breaking out the word. If she knew she had a lock and bet that amount anyway, it definitely applies. Wow.

Either way, I can still wish her well. But I can't root for her. Why oh why oh why oh why couldn't she have missed? Alternatively, why couldn't I have been at her viewing party? I'm sure, wherever she is, she heard me yelling at my TV screen, but still....
I have a feeling her comeuppance will arrive tomorrow.