The 2016 World Quizzing Championships (WQC)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Please check all that apply:

I plan to participate in the 2016 WQC.
35%
I do not plan to participate in the 2016 WQC.
40%
I have participated in the WQC at least once.
35%
I have participated in the WQC every year.
2%
I have never participated in the WQC.
62%

Total votes: 55

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

The 2016 World Quizzing Championships (WQC)

Post by Carpe Diem »

Last edited by Carpe Diem on Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The 2016 World Quizzing Championships (WQC)

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

There is no bigger quizzing reality check than the wqc
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Never anything nearby, I'm usually working on that day, and I would likely stink it up anyway.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:There is no bigger quizzing reality check than the wqc
I prefer my nice, safe, delusional feeling of being good at this stuff.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

No option for "I'll participate if there is a venue near me?" I did it in 2011, 2012, and 2013, but there was no site anywhere near me the last two years.

WQC is challenging, but I never got my butt kicked any worse than in any other form of quizzing. I have found the questions to be interesting and well written in every year, so it's always worth it to give it a shot.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I do it whenever I'm in town for it; this time I'll be out of the country on the day when it's held, so I'll have to miss it.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I really wanted to do it last year, but decided about a week before not to go. There had been a New Jersey venue in 2014, but not in 2015; either I had to drive to someone's house outside of Philly, or take a bus into Manhattan. I definitely plan on going this year, though. I really want to end up on the Age 20-30 leaderboard, but that probably won't happen.
I bought the 2012 WQC book and got a 93, but I rushed through the questions. "Sport" was my dropped category, since there weren't too many questions about American sports.
I predict AP will get his usual 170 if he participates this time.
Hoping for a third lap
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

By AP, did you mean SP as in Steve Perry, or someone else? I'm just glad that this is the one quiz a year I can participate in where I can be rewarded for knowing lots of stuff about fairly obscure world sports. If they included more of that in Sports Jeopardy!, I could go on a Vinny-like run. It's unfortunate that of the three years that I've done the WQC quiz, I got my worst sports score by far the year it counted.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you know the name of the position who can touch the ball with their hands in sepak takraw?
Spoiler
tekong
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:By AP, did you mean SP as in Steve Perry, or someone else? I'm just glad that this is the one quiz a year I can participate in where I can be rewarded for knowing lots of stuff about fairly obscure world sports. If they included more of that in Sports Jeopardy!, I could go on a Vinny-like run. It's unfortunate that of the three years that I've done the WQC quiz, I got my worst sports score by far the year it counted.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you know the name of the position who can touch the ball with their hands in sepak takraw?
Spoiler
tekong
On this board, AP refers to Austin Powers, whose prowess can be seen here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3079&start=20#p193912
OCSam
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

If there's a venue near me, I'd be happy to participate. If not, I'll play it after just for fun. Usually someone makes the questions and answers available for people to do that.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Hey, I'll be in London that day. Wouldn't that be a kick to play from there? That is, if my vacationing family doesn't mind me abandoning them.

Rex
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Rex Kramer wrote:Hey, I'll be in London that day. Wouldn't that be a kick to play from there? That is, if my vacationing family doesn't mind me abandoning them.

Rex
And I would almost consider playing from Beijing that day if there was a site available. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Hey, I'll be in London that day. Wouldn't that be a kick to play from there? That is, if my vacationing family doesn't mind me abandoning them.

Rex
And I would almost consider playing from Beijing that day if there was a site available. :)
They'd probably censor half the questions anyway.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

hbomb1947 wrote:

Rex
Looks like Northampton and Shanghai this year.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

How difficult are the questions?

I always imagined they would be mind-numbingly hard, but looking at the sample ones on the official site, they're not bad at all.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Like many of y'all I'd like to participate, but there's never a venue nearby for me. Lately, I have been using LL to show how sub-mediocre in trivia I am, I don't need another thing to do that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

IronNeck wrote:How difficult are the questions?

I always imagined they would be mind-numbingly hard, but looking at the sample ones on the official site, they're not bad at all.
Those questions are a ridiculous cakewalk. I'm lucky if I get half the questions right at WQC.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

seaborgium wrote:
IronNeck wrote:How difficult are the questions?

Those questions are a ridiculous cakewalk. I'm lucky if I get half the questions right at WQC.
I figured they were on the easier end, yes. Although they weren't all a ridiculous cakewalk for me.

For instance, I consider myself quite knowledgeable about judo and even have some limited training in the discipline. However, I didn't know the "KYŪ" one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Is there a list of venues somewhere?
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Bamaman wrote:Is there a list of venues somewhere?
Go to worldquizzingchampionships.com, click on Venues, and then click on Americas Venues. Unfortunately, it looks like this will be the third year in a row that I can't take it officially. The year it counted, I got 82 but hadn't really done any quizzes the five years before that. The last two years I've gotten the quiz afterwards and just barely broke 100 both times.