Jeopardy taping three tournaments in D.C.

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Jeopardy taping three tournaments in D.C.

Post by GoodStrategy »

sarisson wrote:
GoodStrategy wrote:Donald Trump can't be a contestant at this time since he's running for a public office (and anyone who knows about the rules is aware of how that precludes you from being on the show).
It's not a regular game, though. Any winnings (or losings) would go to charity. We all know he would bet YUUUGE on the Daily Doubles.
#MakeJeopardyGreatAgain
The rule is not about the winnings - it's about any television appearances while running.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

While a candidate for office appearing on the celebrity version would not get to keep their winnings, it would amount to free advertising for the campaign. So they'd have to give equal time to the other candidates. In fact, if you are running for office, you cannot appear on the regular version of the show. So you will not see Trump, Hillary, Bernie, etc. on the show this year. And while he is not on the ballot, I'd imagine Bill Clinton would not get past S&P because his wife is running. (The Sanders campaign filed a lawsuit against the Clintons when Bill popped in a voting place during a primary recently).

A few years ago, Joe Biden hosted a category. When the episode came around in the daytime version a year later, the 2012 campaign was going on and Alex had to dub in the reading of the clue so Biden did not appear in that episode.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

I also recall someone saying that one of the invites to Super Jeopardy! in 1990 had to turn his down because he was running for an office at the time.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Is anyone else disappointed that these "Power Players" are always American or current US residents? How awesome would a Stephen Harper v. Rick Mercer v. Ken Kowalski episode be?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Is anyone else disappointed that these "Power Players" are always American or current US residents? How awesome would a Stephen Harper v. Rick Mercer v. Ken Kowalski episode be?
Or Christopher Eccleston vs David Tennant vs Peter Capaldi? (Sorry, Matt Smith. I had to make a cut somewhere.) This could be J's way of breaking into the UK market.

Maggie Smith vs Judi Dench vs Helen Mirren would be awesome beyond belief. I giggle just thinking about the Youtube supercut of reaction shots.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Is anyone else disappointed that these "Power Players" are always American or current US residents? How awesome would a Stephen Harper v. Rick Mercer v. Ken Kowalski episode be?
Or Christopher Eccleston vs David Tennant vs Peter Capaldi? (Sorry, Matt Smith. I had to make a cut somewhere.) This could be J's way of breaking into the UK market.

Maggie Smith vs Judi Dench vs Helen Mirren would be awesome beyond belief. I giggle just thinking about the Youtube supercut of reaction shots.
Add Helena Bonham-Carter, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Colin Firth as a second trio, please. Stunning range of arched eyebrows and smug countenances among them. And, given the quiz-mania and level of play in the UK (there are several amazing trivia shows there, most to my mind much harder than a typical J! episode), I think they have some folks famous simply for their game-show performances; they could do an entire week of British Invasion and it would be fascinating.
Pending...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MollyQMurphy wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Maggie Smith vs Judi Dench vs Helen Mirren would be awesome beyond belief. I giggle just thinking about the Youtube supercut of reaction shots.
Add Helena Bonham-Carter, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Colin Firth as a second trio, please. Stunning range of arched eyebrows and smug countenances among them.
Oh my, yes. Although I was also thinking of putting Cumberbatch up against Martin Freeman and Rupert Graves. It would be hilarious if he lost badly. For that matter, how about Cumberbatch vs Andrew Scott vs Mark Gatiss? So many possibilities....

In the same vein, John Simm vs Philip Glenister vs Dean Andrews would be a hoot.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This would have to be well known people for Power Players, even I had to look up Kowalski! And with Harper still being a sitting MP and presumably running again next election he'd be disqualified.

But Mercer'd be good, I'm a longtime fan.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

opusthepenguin wrote:Or Christopher Eccleston vs David Tennant vs Peter Capaldi? (Sorry, Matt Smith. I had to make a cut somewhere.)
And a well-chosen cut you have made.

Rex
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

dhkendall wrote:
This would have to be well known people for Power Players, even I had to look up Kowalski! And with Harper still being a sitting MP and presumably running again next election he'd be disqualified.

I had been looking at a list of Canadian politicians that had played either Reach for the Top or Genies en Herbe, and I came up with Kowalski for the heck of it, and thought that including Rick Mercer would improve the ratings. There are enough others that Mercer+whomever would make a great show.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:

Sadly, the dream of Rob Ford as a contestant has been permanently quashed.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Rex Kramer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Or Christopher Eccleston vs David Tennant vs Peter Capaldi? (Sorry, Matt Smith. I had to make a cut somewhere.)
I liked Matt Smith's Doctor, and I suspect his episodes are probably better overall than Capaldi's. (I've only seen a few of those, but I think the show is losing its spark. That's a wholly separate question from who's the better actor. Capaldi clearly is.) But Smith wasn't enough different from Tennant. And if either Smith or Tennant has to go, the choice is obvious.

Unhappily, three former Doctors are no longer with us. That leaves nine doctors for a mini-tournament if we like--no quarter finals, just semis and a two-day final. Or we could make a full tournament by adding in people like Billie Piper, Freema Agyeman, Catherine Tate, Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill, Alex Kingston, John Simm, and Derek Jacoby as needed. I endorse this idea.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
I liked Matt Smith's Doctor, and I suspect his episodes are probably better overall than Capaldi's. (I've only seen a few of those, but I think the show is losing its spark. That's a wholly separate question from who's the better actor. Capaldi clearly is.) But Smith wasn't enough different from Tennant. And if either Smith or Tennant has to go, the choice is obvious.

Unhappily, three former Doctors are no longer with us. That leaves nine doctors for a mini-tournament if we like--no quarter finals, just semis and a two-day final. Or we could make a full tournament by adding in people like Billie Piper, Freema Agyeman, Catherine Tate, Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill, Alex Kingston, John Simm, and Derek Jacoby as needed. I endorse this idea.
Concur.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

opusthepenguin wrote:Or we could make a full tournament by adding in people like Billie Piper, Freema Agyeman, Catherine Tate, Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill, Alex Kingston, John Simm, and Derek Jacoby as needed. I endorse this idea.
Piper, Tate, Kingston, Simm, Wilton, Barrowman
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Wilton,
I don't know ... I think she looks a little tired ...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Rex Kramer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Or we could make a full tournament by adding in people like Billie Piper, Freema Agyeman, Catherine Tate, Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill, Alex Kingston, John Simm, and Derek Jacoby as needed. I endorse this idea.
Ooooh. Forgot about those last two. Now I want to hear a chipper "Penelope Wilton, Jeopardy contestant!" as she introduces herself.

Also, I want the buzzers replaced with sonic screwdrivers.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
Wilton,
I don't know ... I think she looks a little tired ...
Tired? She's positively Wilton! :lol:

That was awful. I'm terribly, terribly sorry.
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
Ooooh. Forgot about those last two. Now I want to hear a chipper "Penelope Wilton, Jeopardy contestant!" as she introduces herself.
Yes, we know who you are.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

Sonia Saraiya, the TV critic for Salon.com has the list of "Power Players", as received from Jeopardy!'s publicists:

Kate Bolduan, CNN.
Louis C.K., comedian.
Jonathan Capehart, Washington Post.
Anderson Cooper, CNN.
S.E. Cupp, conservative commentator.
Al Franken, U.S. Senator.
Jonathan Franzen, author.
David Gregory, CNN.
Melissa Harris-Perry, professor and TV host.
Sunny Hostin, ABC.
Lara Logan, “60 Minutes”.
Ana Navarro, Republican strategist.
Michael Steele, MSNBC.
Chuck Todd, NBC.
Matthew Weiner, creator of “Mad Men”.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Blue Lion wrote: Michael Steele, MSNBC.
HA!

Also, in general, that's a pretty impressive slate. Shouldn't be disappointing.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)