Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by jeff6286 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Today's Ken Jennings Tuesday Trivia featured the following question, which I found incredibly well-written. It would have fit right in in LL, either on a normal match day or as part of a 1DS:

What name has been licensed by Hanna-Barbera to two different products: a vanilla cookie sold by Suncoast Video stores, and a pet treat sold by Snausages?

Answer:
Spoiler
I figured this out right away, but I thought it might have been an incomplete list. I've bought these Scooby Doo graham cracker sticks before but it seems I was incorrect and they do not actually market them as Scooby Snacks.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I noticed just now when catching up on my Sploofus TQOTD that the TQOTD leaderboard currently shows 6 boardies in the top 10. WTG, jboard!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woof wrote:I noticed just now when catching up on my Sploofus TQOTD that the TQOTD leaderboard currently shows 6 boardies in the top 10. WTG, jboard!
1 Reddpen - 4,480
2 Raffertybarnes - 4,446
3 Ritterskoop - 4,376
4 Cheezguyty - 4,363
5 Tnewton30 - 4,335
6 Newtex - 4,305
7 Woof99 - 4,301
8 Whoismark - 4,259
9 Jkbrat - 4,234
10 Ljaker - 4,188

The WWTBAM Bored is represented in the top 10 as well. I had a terrible March missing about 10 Qs , so I expect better results this month.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Woof wrote:I noticed just now when catching up on my Sploofus TQOTD that the TQOTD leaderboard currently shows 6 boardies in the top 10. WTG, jboard!
Congrats boardies!

I had an amazing March on sploofus - I had a chance to win the month missing only one question. Then I missed March 31st. Argh. 6th place.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:
1 Reddpen - 4,480
2 Raffertybarnes - 4,446
3 Ritterskoop - 4,376
4 Cheezguyty - 4,363
5 Tnewton30 - 4,335
6 Newtex - 4,305
7 Woof99 - 4,301
8 Whoismark - 4,259
9 Jkbrat - 4,234
10 Ljaker - 4,188

The WWTBAM Bored is represented in the top 10 as well. I had a terrible March missing about 10 Qs , so I expect better results this month.
Hello from 211th place!

Still trying to capture the euphoria of my 12th place finish in July, 2015 (but I think being fresh off a J! audition might've had something to do with it)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I know we have a lot of Geography aficionados on here, and I thought this map of every county in the U.S. made out of wood was not only beautiful, but an impressive accomplishment as well:

A full description is here:

http://twistedsifter.com/2016/03/usa-co ... en-graves/
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:I know we have a lot of Geography aficionados on here, and I thought this map of every county in the U.S. made out of wood was not only beautiful, but an impressive accomplishment as well:

Yes, I am duly impressed, even wanting one!

However, <geography pedant class="pet peeve">that is clearly not "every county of the U. S.", there are 25 rather obvious ones missing</class>

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
alietr wrote:I know we have a lot of Geography aficionados on here, and I thought this map of every county in the U.S. made out of wood was not only beautiful, but an impressive accomplishment as well:

However, <geography pedant class="pet peeve">that is clearly not "every county of the U. S.", there are 25 rather obvious ones missing</class>
<geography pedant pedant>Actually, there's only 5 missing...and a whole bunch of something else has been added.
Spoiler
Louisiana uses parishes. Alaska uses boroughs.
</geography>

Bonus points: find the other pedant complaint! :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Spoiler
There are cases where adjacent counties share the same color?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

<geography pedant pedant>Actually, there's only 5 missing...and a whole bunch more that aren't counties have been added.
Spoiler
Louisiana uses parishes. Alaska uses boroughs.
</geography>

Bonus points: find the other pedant complaint! :D
What's in a name? that which we call a county
By any other name would smell as foul;
So a county would, were it not a county call'd,
Still ask for my wages in taxes which I owe
Without that title.

SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

I like how prominently my home county (in Oregon) stands out.

Maybe it's because I know where to look, but it's also dark wood around a lot of lighter shades.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Our old buddy Elliot Yates is at it again, this time as a contestant on NPR's Ask Me Another. He is his usually highly entertaining and knowledgeable self.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

boson wrote:
Congrats boardies!

I had an amazing March on sploofus - I had a chance to win the month missing only one question. Then I missed March 31st. Argh. 6th place.
Thank you from #2.

Frivolisaurus Rex
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Finally crept my way onto page 1.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

These cards were being handed out at the taping. Thought they might generate some interest here:
Jeopardy Tester.jpg
Jeopardy Tester.jpg (66.16 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

The handiwork of our own heelsrule1988 is being featured on CBSSports.com. Congrats, Jordan!
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Another one for those with a geographic bent ...

What's Straight Across the Ocean When You're at the Beach?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:a geographic bent
I see what you did there. ...

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Anyone else see the story of the Russian planes buzzing the American destroyer off the coast of Kaliningrad?
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/russia-deni ... nald-cook/

Does this sentence bug anyone else?
"On Monday, the Cook was preparing to conduct helicopter flight operations in the Baltic Sea, in international water 70 miles off the coast of the Russian enclave of Kaliningrad."

Only those of you who have spent too much time studying geography will be annoyed by this statement, but I know that's plenty of people who might read this! :evil: :twisted:
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Any lawyers here that can give a little bit of free advice?

Here's the situation in a nutshell:

AT&T took my cell number and assigned it to somebody else. I had had this number for 12 years before porting it to AT&T, and many of you here have used it. They are willing to extend my service if I simply take a new number, but they are refusing to give me my number (or my money) back. I have no service until such time as I choose to have them assign me a number. I have prepaid for 1 year of service.

My thoughts:
If they have the right to, at any time, without warning or reason, take my number from me, they must also have the right to take it back from whomever they have assigned it to. But I need to know what my rights are in this situation (as a non-resident / non-citizen of the US, if that's relevant).

Anyway, I am thinking of flooding the number with calls for me. Anybody else want to help? Maybe if the new owner gets hundreds (or thousands) of calls, he might contact AT&T and see if he can get a new number.

If you are so inclined (and your package allows for free calls to Niagara Falls NY) please call (716) xxx-xxxx and ask for Brian.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.